Masters Running

What's the best type of speedwork for marathon training? (Read 732 times)

HermosaBoy

My $0.02 -- take it without inflation... If your goal is strictly marathon speed, I would look at how you are doing your long runs. If you are looking at overall speed to use in other races, then the shorter intervals (tempo, VO2, etc.) are very helpful. And I would agree that 8/mi. is too slow for you... Going under the assumption that you are looking strictly at marathon speed, I think that pace runs and fast finish long runs will get you where you want to be. For the pace runs, I have always found that a two mile warm-up and cool-down with a good distance at marathon pace is a great workout to build confidence in the pace without taxing you so much that you kill the rest of the week. So, you could do two miles at 10:00/mi., 10 @ 8:45/mi. and finish with two miles at 10:00/mi. This is a very nice 14 mile run. Another favorite of mine is the fast finish long run. This one is a bit taxing, so do plan to have an easier week following it. For me, I like to do these on my longest runs of the training cycle. My last one before a marathon would be a 22 mile run with the first 17 being at my normal long run pace. Then I do 4 miles at marathon pace. The last mile, I try to pick it up to half marathon pace. If you can pull this one off, the marathon should be a breeze. A wonderful confidence builder!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Another favorite of mine is the fast finish long run. This one is a bit taxing, so do plan to have an easier week following it. For me, I like to do these on my longest runs of the training cycle. My last one before a marathon would be a 22 mile run with the first 17 being at my normal long run pace. Then I do 4 miles at marathon pace. The last mile, I try to pick it up to half marathon pace. If you can pull this one off, the marathon should be a breeze. A wonderful confidence builder!!!
      Holly, what I quoted here from hermosaboy are called 3/1 runs. They, at any distance you so choose, mimic what you will want to achieve in the marathon. Three-quarters easy, 1 quarter hard. If it's a 12 mile run, 9 miles easy - 3 miles hard, so on. "Hard" being MP or down to Tempo; your choice. I used these a lot, and they greatly benefited my 1st marathon done in negative splits; it's ideal to finish your runs/races faster than you started. With time and confidence, you will go faster sooner in the race or run closer to even pace; times will drop. I think this is why we here so many say, "the race begins at mile 20". 19.5 is 3/4.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

What has worked for me matches pretty closely with HermosaBoy...although I don't pretend to know a whole lot about the science behind it, what worked for me in my last (successful) attempt at a PR was to do only two big workouts a week (as recommended by Tinman) - I would do one as a longish tempo near Marathon pace - and then long run with fast finish. I didn't do any running below marathon pace at all. Hope this helps - as I said, I'm more of a "run by feel" guy than a science guy - and we're all an experiment of one! ray Tongue Blush Shocked Confused 8 Ball
          Well Spareribs is right and wrong (-: Holly, he is right to say that your base is the key and that your marathon times will continue to improve without too much speedwork. Speedwork and intervals are also extremely challenging on the body and often promote injury unless you have the base and that your body is extremely well balanced from a musculature perpective. In my first two years of running my body was not ready and I kept getting injured, so I agree with Spareribs that not doing this type of speedwork will not hurt you at this time. Having said that: Once you get to a certain plateau, ie: your times stay level and are not going down, I believe speedwork/interals have their place but they must be done at the right pace for you. My coach has us do a combination of the advice Breger provide you. 1K intervals with 1 to 1;30 minute rest or 2K intervals with the same rest period. He alo makes us do hill repeats about 12 to 8 weeks out from our marathon for about a 4-6 week period. About a month before our marathon he makes us do Yasso 800's to identify if our pacing strategy is on target. Tall's advice on speedwork: If your racing, speedwork is critical, it's more mental than physical, it gives you the confidence that you can pull off your race strategy. It also conditions your body to run fast, mechanically. Tuning your body to be able to run more efficiently and with better rotation. Early on in one's marathon training (when the ability to reduce your time is still significant) a healthy base will definetely be much more beneficial and less likely to injure you but as you get down to the last 10% of your time gap (ie: the best time possible for you as an individual) speedwork will definetely come in to play). For now, Spareribs advice is best...but as time goes on only your time goals will determine when speedwork will be appropriate. At that time you can discount Spareribs advice (-:.................... All the best Tall If you want to better understand details of what I have written above, please feel free to ask questions or to email me directly. I have omitted details, so that I did not prove too long winded.

Recent Best times: None recently

va

This is a great thread! Smile
              there's a lot of good advice here. i agree mileage is key, i love fast-fiinish long runs (18/5 is my choice), and i also see lots of improvement when i do tempo runs. but i love speedwork, and two types help me during marathon training: longer intervals with short recovery; and alternating miles (ribs calls them wave run) of 8-13 of fast/slow miles run at mar-15/mar+45 pace. this year i've only done speedwork for the last 6 or so weeks leading up to phoenix, so less than i normally have run. as tall points out, there are lots of reasons to run intervals for mental toughness. don't know how many times i've stared at the stupid fence at the end of the track straight-away, feeling dead, like i can't take another step, and still managing to finish the last 100m of the interval without my lungs exploding or my legs falling off. intervals show me that my body can handle lots of pain without losing form, and that's a big mental boost which i can tap into that at mile 22. but i also like to think about it in terms of muscle development. while running at mp your stride goes through the exact same range of motion that you use during your marathon race. but while doing intervals, i increase my range of motion as my pace quickens... my hamstrings contract more with a higher back-kick, my calves push off more, my quads/hip flexors lift my knees higher. this helps develop muscle strength at the extremes of my marathon race pace stride, which seems to help me as i get into later stages of the race. besides, intervals are fun! how else can you justify running a 24x400 with 100m jog workout, unless you're training for a marathon? it's a great excuse to do what i love to do... http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42542
                Of all the different activities you could possibly do to prepare for a marathon, build a base, run intervals, run tempos etc., the most important and BY FAR, is mileage base. You want to run a fast marathon? Get yourself up to 65 mpw and hold it there til you know your body can stand it. Only then should you be thinking about adding in the other activities. Spareribs
                But what about those of us who cannot sustain 65 mpw without injury? As this is a Master's forum, I would think that this is not uncommon. We all have our pet peeves, and mine is dictating some arbitrary weekly mileage as being "right" for successful marathon training. Perhaps a better statement would be to build to your own safe base mileage and then add in speedwork of some sort. Again, being cautious of injury, my risk-benefit analysis pushes me towards embedded MP miles in long runs, progression runs and tempo miles. The risk of interval training, for me personally, is not worth the marginal benefit for marathon distance.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

But what about those of us who cannot sustain 65 mpw without injury? As this is a Master's forum, I would think that this is not uncommon. We all have our pet peeves, and mine is dictating some arbitrary weekly mileage as being "right" for successful marathon training. Perhaps a better statement would be to build to your own safe base mileage and then add in speedwork of some sort. Again, being cautious of injury, my risk-benefit analysis pushes me towards embedded MP miles in long runs, progression runs and tempo miles. The risk of interval training, for me personally, is not worth the marginal benefit for marathon distance.
                  Well put PDR - I'm somewhat similar and high mileage just hasn't worked for me - If I were more cautious and smarter I'd definitely run less miles. - Different things work for different runners - and we all tend to think that once we run one decent marathon our personal plan is exactly correct and would work for everyone.... Of course people who think they know everything are bothersome to those of us who really do Shocked Roll eyes Evil grin : Sorry - I'm just having so much fun with the smily face things. Ray

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm somewhat similar and high mileage just hasn't worked for me -
                    But don't you run like 80 miles/week? I certainly would consider that high mileage. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

........ my hamstrings contract more with a higher back-kick, my calves push off more, my quads/hip flexors lift my knees higher.
                      <paris> 'That's Hot!' </paris> Blush

Runners run

evanflein

I've never done more than 53 mpw, and that was just three times... I can't do 65 mpw either, PDR. I think my hips would pack up and leave me. I also, from a real-life standpoint, don't have the time. BUT, I do love running marathons, and I have sort of "plateaued" in a sense. I do keep racking up BQ times, but can't seem to break that 3:45 barrier. How important is that to me? Well, it is, but not worth injury. I'll stick with tempo runs and the fast-finish long runs, and also more MP miles. I can see that I'm gonna get my marathon travel wings clipped here pretty quickly in 2008 (financially...), so the ones I do will be fun, interesting and challenging... but not necessarily fast. Holly, I'm so glad you posted this question, this thread is truly one of the gems for me... I rarely save threads, but this one's a keeper. And Ilene... I'm so glad you chipped in...! Big grin
                          Predawnrunner in my 3 marathon training to date, I have not run more than once or twice over 50mph with most weeks around 45. Also, as my friend topdown likes to kd me I have only run one LR of over 20 miles and that was 20 miles and a few feet and that was my first marathon (a 3:09 BQ). In my last two marathons a 3:02 at Boston and my 2:58 in Ottawa I never ran more than 17 miles in a long run. I expect I could maybe run faster with more miles but the combination of 1 interval workout a week, 1 tempo run a week, 1LR (usually in the half marathon range, which is not LR for most of you) and then two slow mid lr's work for me. That's running 5 days a week. Works for me and could work for others. Now I do attribute some of my racing times to two personal traits that I have: - Running on guts - My focus on overall core and strength fitness But that does not mean this could not work for any of you also...and obviously it does work for some Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

va

Hi Tall, rbbmoose, hemosaboy, I would love to see your training logs. I am very interested in this quality vs. quantity subject, and it would help to see the details of your runs. I am doing FIRST-like training now...
                              Well, I was going to say that my log was lost in the CoolRunning debacle, I just imported my saved log file to RunningAhead log and it appeared to work like a champ. Count me as a RunningAhead convert going forward. My PR marathon was November 17th so you should be able to view my log leading up - I don't have very much detail, but my running is so simple with the 2 big workouts and everything else just easy stuff. My marathon was 2:41:58... A PR at age 47, but I think I can go sub 2:40 on a good day.... In response to Holly, I really shouldn't be running high mileage - I'm like a kid who touches a hot stove to see if it is still hot and keep getting burned (with stress fractures)..... Last year was my 15th fracture and the stove was still pretty darned hot..... Put me down as too dumb to learn from past mistakes Roll eyes Shocked Surprised Embarrassed (there I go with those smilies again). Ray

King of PhotoShop

ALL RIGHT LISTEN UP!!! That was just to get your attention. The original question was what kind of speedwork should I do, from a woman in her 40's running her 2nd (or 3rd if you count that strange one) marathon, and I took exception to the advice she was given, in her 3rd week of her plan, which we don't know about, regarding doing track work at VO2 max speed. There have been many useful additions to this thread, but nowhere does anyone demonstrate that I am wrong, including that troublemaker Tallrunner, who could run up Everest if he felt like it. Let's talk about this some more. Number one is always miles, always was, always will be. No one has argued that point. If you have had some success running fewer miles, it doesn't mean you had an optimal performance. You would probably have run better were you able to run more miles or if you were inclined to train that way. That's you Tall, and probably Erika as well. PDR and Ray, I quite agree. Last year I ran two weeks of 60 mpw and I know how I felt. I couldn't do that through a sustained marathon training program, but given my choice of miles over track, I will take miles. Ray, even though you follow the basic Tinman (two big workouts a week, which include tempo or some other quality work), which is the same as my program, you only learned how much you could tolerate when you got hurt after some super workouts (pretty long runs with some quality miles within them). I bet you now know what is the knife-edge of training for you. And incidentally, I am glad you are back and healthy again. As for PDR's post, this is important. Many, many people cannot sustain a 65 mpw regimen. So we have to do what we can to train. All I am saying is that if you COULD do 65 per week, you would have a much better chance of running your best performance. I bet Holly could get her miles up there. She runs 5 days a week and does core the other two days. MCSolar is in another group of strong runners, and I am including Tall in here too. Once you are up to a very high level of training and if you can sustain it, of course you go work on the track. MC did a 10 x 400 workout last week that was supposed to be at 90 seconds, but as he posted, "testosterone" got the better of him and he averaged 85 seconds per lap. Well, he can do that. And of course so did Shorter, but we are not talking about MC and Shorter here. I am glad the post stirred some comment and some feedback. Hup had the best post of all when I think of it. He said "go find a good plan." Holly, if you are in the 3rd week of a marathon training program, you should already know what speed work you should be doing. I hope this helps. Spareribs