Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 10.25.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday's workouts:

Quickadder (7.5 miles @5 in clear 57° temps)

RunnerKSA (5.5 morning TM miles in the Grand Hyatt at DFW)

Opus77 (7 fantastic, post-posting, bottleable, morning miles at 9:03 pace)

Stumpy (alarm-resetting cross-training)

Fatozzig (2.45 miles in 30 min - sticking to limits)

Holly (5 TM miles before Masterpiece Theatre)

Spacityrunner (3 noontime miles around the neighborhood in 60-ish temps, with hillage)

Falconfixer (7.4 lunchtime miles in nice conditions, just under 1 hr + spin instructing after work)

Surly Bill (4.5 loop miles at sundown at 8:00 pace)

Sounds like a bunch of feeling-good runs yesterday - love it when that happens! And I'm glad to see that candy is still on the table...

Opus, I wouldn't touch a garage door spring without knowing what I was doing either. I just wish someone would 'touch' ours.

Welcome back, HopesMom. Yep - post-vacation re-entry can be tough, but is still worth it. Nice photo!

Quite a challenge David has ahead of him, Tammy, with the speech and essay. But I have a feeling he'll do fine.

Keep up the good rehab, Fatozzig.

Thanks for the bio info, Falconfixer. You're a busy guy! Sorry you get home so infrequently. That was a heck of a way to end your streak - I'm glad that (the injury, not the streak) is behind you.

It's raining and blowing this morning, so I stayed in rather than violate Rule #1. After last night's 3+ hr. meeting, I was just as glad to have a chance to sleep in a bit.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I cannot believe M&Ms are not the unanimous candy choice! Between peanut, almond, peanut butter, milk and whatnot how can there not be an M&Ms to top all other candies!

Word.

Opus - You and The Hub would get along famously.  He's not real crazy about people and social situations either.

I’m in the middle of reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.  (Introverts unite!) Might be of interest.

After lots of much-needed rain yesterday, a 2.5-mile run on a beautiful autumn morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning Jay and the rest of you who aren't on "Jay time"  Your weather sounds like what went through this area yesterday. Rain, 40° and sustained winds 20-25 mph. The tip of the Door County peninsula in Wisconsin had high wind warnings yesterday. Gusts over 50 mph!!  After a 3+ hour meeting last night, I think you made the right call. And thanks for your recap!

Nice to see you running Tramps!

And the candy debate continues...

6.43 miles this morning. 36° and no wind. Still hanging on to capris but had to break out gloves and a jacket.  Some friends and I are doing a "spooky sprint" 10k this Saturday and they're predicting snow! I'm so not ready for that.

I don't know if anyone caught the Ken Burns series on PBS covering the Viet Nam war, but we DVR'd it and have been watching it when we have an hour or two.  It really goes in depth into the history of the country, how the United States got involved, the bad decisions that were made - by more than one president - and includes interviews with a lot of men and women who served. DH was in the Air Force for two years during the war. I was a senior in high school in 1970, but I remember the war protests - and Kent State. Anyway, I highly recommend it if you get a chance.

Have a great day everyone!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Word.

I’m in the middle of reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.  (Introverts unite!) Might be of interest.

After lots of much-needed rain yesterday, a 2.5-mile run on a beautiful autumn morning.

Likely quite a quiet grouping (from another introvert).  Reminds me of a story one of my friends told me at our high school reunion.  "How can you tell an extrovert at (select your favorite technical college here)?  They're the one looking at your shoes instead of theirs".

3.1 miles of very damp lake loop, using exception #1 to rule #1 (It wasn't raining when I left).  Again wishing it would have rained harder, it was so humid.

BTW, the newest M&M seem to be caramel.  They're like crunchy Rollos.  Might be a new go-to.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...howdy//.....just back from knoxville............I'll  second jylnne  the Ken Burns series had a BUNCH of stuff I had never known

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

I think the Heath Bars should get a mention, and the Heath English Toffee Bits are incredible....

Tramps and Jlynne - neither my reading nor my TV time are very educational - my current book is one of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch detective stories, and DH and I are working our way through the Netflix series Van Helsing...

38 degrees, rainy and windy - brrr, not for me on a work morning.

5.1 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Singer who runs a smidge

Word.

I really enjoyed this book too, though I need to listen to it again -- my afternoon commutes are devoted to audiobooks, while my morning commutes usually involve a lot of singing.

The School of Education here does a Halloween parade every year for the local daycare programs.  These are often low-income kids, and it's just such fun to see them loaded up into multi-kid strollers or being shepherded around by teachers, getting bags and bags of candy.  Almost as much fun as watching the physical facilities guys show up with their bags of candy to give out to the kids.

The nut ban makes it kinda difficult, though -- no Reese's, Snickers, Mr. Goodbar, peanut M&M's, Butterfinger ... well, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Still in recovery mode - haven't even made it in for a gym workout. I have slept 9+ hours each of the last 2 nights and feel like I could still sleep!! Unfortunately - not an option today - have my granddaughters all day - good thing they are so cute!!

I think the marathon after being so sick took way more of a toll on my body than I ever anticipated!!

Happy runs to you all today!!

denise

Good morning everyone.  Rest day.  Legs are a bit tired after yesterday.  PT later for my neck and upper back, to include dry needling.

Coastwalker - good job on not violating Rule 1.  While my all time most satisfying marathon was one run in a steady 50 degree rain (and a PR at the time), I don't run in the rain unless it's a race I can't get a refund for!

Tramps - I will have to check that book out.  My favorite all time comment came  from my mother (to my wife), who said "he's completely emotionless."  I had to laugh when I heard that.  DW defended me, of course, because it's not true (though it has some merit).  I'm not a recluse, I just tend to be quiet and keep to myself/ourselves.  I'll take quietly sitting on the porch with DW over a party/gathering/night out any time.  I tell DW that social situations involving forced conversation exhausts me more than running 10 miles.

Jlynne - been catching most of that.  Good series so far.  Don't watch much TV, but Vietnam and Leah Remini's series on Scientology have us captivated.

Holly S - had to laugh.  I make fun of DW's books.  She calls them "brain Twinkies" and says she does enough other heavy thinking and needs to give her brain a treat when it comes to reading.

Have a good day everyone.

TammyinGP

Ran 4 miles yesterday and will get in a short run today. Last XC day. We had Districts yesterday, where all but 3 kids set new PR's, so it was a great day especially given the unseasonably warm temps we had at 80 degrees. today's practice will just be a run from the school to a pizza place, about 3/4 mile away, eat pizza for our final party, and then run back. 

David did great on his senior presentation last night. I feel confident he passed this senior requirement.  And now that this is behind him, he needs to hit in hard on the essay portion of the OSU app to be filed by 11/1 for early deadline.  He has about 6 short essays to write as part of the overall application and then the one long one for Honors College. 

Tammy

I'm not a recluse, I just tend to be quiet and keep to myself/ourselves.  I'll take quietly sitting on the porch with DW over a party/gathering/night out any time.  I tell DW that social situations involving forced conversation exhausts me more than running 10 miles.

Again, You + The Hub = Meant To Be Together.  Just sayin'.  Needless to say, he was very excited to hear that our office Christmas party is December 8. 

Tammy - If I had to do as a senior what David's senior class had to do, I probably would've failed.  Public speaking - generally, speaking out loud period - was not my forte.

Say what?? M&M's now come with caramel?  Why do they torture me so?!?

Jay - It looks like the whole East Coast is getting hit with some nasty weather.  Hello, Winter. 

Speaking of socializing, etc. - Told The Hub that tonight will pretty much be the last time he sees me in the evening until Tuesday.  *sigh* Not so sure I'm looking forward to all of it.

Didn't feel like I got good sleep last night, so stayed in bed and will work out when I get home.

Okay - Lots of work to be done!  Later, gators ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Tammy - If I had to do as a senior what David's senior class had to do, I probably would've failed.  Public speaking - generally, speaking out loud period - was not my forte.

David did tell me that so many of the seniors that do little to no public speaking were so stressed about this - more stressed about this than anything they've had to do. thank goodness david has been doing public speaking for so many years, that he has zero nervousness about it. 

next up for his Future Forum class (basically teaching seniors life skills - how to budget, balance checkbooks, save, invest, get jobs,  - just basically live on your own and not be a floundering fool) is they have to cook the family meal for a week. and sometime in that week, his teacher (who you know as tarzan from the relay!) pops over unannounced for a meal with us. So, since we've been friends with Chris, his teacher, for about 14 yrs now and he's had many a meal and football game watching at our house, I'll probably tell him what night we, I mean David, is grilling bacon wrapped top sirloins, twice baked potatoes and opening his favorite bottle of wine 

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - can I come, too?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...ok,

knocked out  40-min PoolRun with letters

...........then had a ''Case Nurse'' contact me,

seems Medicare has a ''Bundle'' Program the surgeons are participating in......

so

I guess I'm Officially Bundled...

.............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

David's teacher kind of looks like a meat and potatos type  of guy, dontcha think?

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoor

Tammy