Masters Running

Saturday 7/3 Expo Day (Read 30 times)

Today is packet pickup day for me and Mariposai in Cork today. Neither of us are running today. Although I did put in 4 miles through the Killarney back roads yesterday.

Why am I starting the daily then? Well first off I have a 5 hour head start on Coastwalker and who can resist that! Second I need to restore my reputation from the slurs hurled at me yesterday by Mariposai!  When I left for my run two days ago, it was NOT raining! Hear me? Not raining! Is it my fault it started while I was on the road? No, I tell you, no!

Happy running everyone and may the luck of the Irish be with all of our racers this weekend.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' Twocat and all to follow.

It's a good thing Twocat doesn't get defensive about this rain thing, isn't it?  

Friday’s workouts:

Tramps (8 morning trail miles)

BerthaSlayer (1.2 EZ-PZ neighborhood miles)

Dave (5 adventurous trail miles)

Stumpy (3.1 round the lake miles in IRC)

RunnerKSA (1.2 pre-doc-check-up morning miles)

Cat (5.5 miles)

Evanflein (5 EZ mid-day miles)

Fatozzig (1 hr of core/St work)

Jlynne (5 retired morning miles)

Holly (17.6 early long run miles)

Wildchild (9 pre-showers but kind of wet afternoon miles)

StarrRuns (walk on sore, swollen leg)

Evanflein (5.2 EZ, sunshiny afternoon miles)

Too many ongoing sad stories about opioid addiction from many different perspectives. So sorry about DW1, Cat, and about Mike’s sister. I also heard that story about ‘addict brokers’, Tramps, and was both angered and saddened by it.

Quite the adventure, Dave. Perhaps take bread crumbs or spray paint next time so you can be sure to find your way back.

Thanks for volunteering at NH Special Olympics, Stumpy. We were at their dental screening tent for many years, but haven’t been there in quite a few years, since another group took over the program.

Thanks to Tammy and Fatozzig and Wildchild (4:30am?) for volunteering at local races today. Great pay-back!

Good to get that paperwork done and filed, Cat.

That wine tasting riverboat trip sounds like a mighty tasty fundraiser, Evanflein.

Tet, yep we’re much closer to the easter side of EDT than the western edge. Helps me gain a little light in the early morning, but not so much in the evening.

Congrats on your retirement, Jlynne! What’s next for you?

Starr, is your leg getting any better a week after you fell? If not, should you have it checked out?

FYI, I usually end my evenings by starting to put together these notes for the next morning. It helps me wind down after a busy day. So thanks for giving me that opportunity to slow my pace while spending some time with my v. friends.

8.7 EZ RW miles this morning in 48° temps. Like Stumpy, I'm keeping my l/s shirts handy, and even had on some light-weight gloves this morning. I still have some aches in my right leg, but they aren't as bad as earlier in the week. I have our town forest clean-up in a little while, and that'll go till noon. Then some yard work, and dinner out with neighbors and we're all going to see Jay Leno at the local music hall tonight. I'm going to be wanting a nap in there somewhere - preferably not during dinner or the Leno show.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

[[[starr]]]

[[[mike]]]

.........I found the Success Rate on Addiction Centers which I sent to an instructor at UT.............don't have the article handy (still in knoxville) but it was in the 20-percentile

..............Claire managed to hit herself in the face with a tipped-ball but is OK

.....................heading back home today to rest up for the Grand Canyon trip next week

...............unfortunately, it looks like I'll be getting the OTHER hip replaced

this year or next, it's progressing much faster than I expected....................................meh................

......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Good luck to racers this w/e - and may the folks who want rain get it and those who don't don't

Jay - happy you're able to get out

TW - sorry to hear that, but sooner may take the pain away

Ran a mixture of road and beach miles this morning in glorious sun.  Overdressed in long sleeve shirt (listened to henrun), but finished with coffee and cereal overlooking the ocean.  Unfortunately rain predicted for this afternoon - may have to see wonder woman

Enjoy the w/e!

marj

Tramps

I was on the edge of my seat reading Dave's story...I wasn't sure if he was going to find his way home, or not....whew!

(And I was with Erika on that other advice, too.)

Jay and Stumpy--I'm envious of those temps.  Nice.

Congratulations on the retirement Jlynne!  I’m sure you’ll miss some of it, but I suspect you’ll adjust.

Dave—Glad you found your way back!  Brave of you to don a Sabres cap in Detroit.   The Canadian embassy in DC once had an exhibit with all the major NHL trophies, including the Cup, in a single room.  I walked in and there was literally no one else there.  Me and all that hardware!

Holly—interesting how crime follows highways.  We have a similar thing here with I-95.  Richmond’s been a key way-station for running guns and drugs up to Baltimore, Philly, NY, etc.

Good luck to Twocat and Mariposai and the other racers!  Interesting time to be in Ireland.  There’s the wake of US politics but also their new prime minister, a center-right conservative, will be the youngest (39), first openly gay, and first child of Muslim immigrants from India. Interesting times.

We’ve never been big TV watchers and don’t even have cable or satellite.  But Netflix (both DVD-by-mail and streaming) changed things, making a much wider variety of content available anytime.  I enjoy documentaries, serious films, and some foreign films, along with the usual fluff, so I’ve been a big fan from the start.  TV’s golden age, as many have noted.

EZ 5 on a nice morning.  Lots of chores and yard work today.  Better get to it.

Be safe. Be kind.

Glad the aches are resolving, Jay.

10.1 miles this morning for my last significant run before my return-to-marathoning next Saturday.  What was I thinking?   67-76 degrees and sunny while I was out there this morning, but I had pretty much shade.  Saw 1 small snake.  I wasn't thrilled, but he moved away quickly.  Time to go out and walk the old Golden Retrievers before it gets too hot.  My husband is out on an organized 60 mile bike event.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Decided to go out fishing instead of a run this morning.  Maine is having a free fishing weekend--no license required, so thought I'd take advantage.  No trophies, or even dinner, but nice to be out.  Of course, it's also 50 and windy, so not a great day n the water.  Just getting the feeling back in a few fingers.

Happy racing and runnning to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TW - sorry to hear that, but sooner may take the pain away

..thanks marj//............actually after I don't have to protect it anymore,

I MAY be able to slip in a little Jogging..............ohboyohboy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good luck to our racers today in Ireland and elsewhere.

Tomwhite....hip replacement? Sounds like that merits more than "meh". Hope it relieves any pain you are feeling and that it will be a quick recovery.

As for me? I was lazy so only ran my mile and then went and chopped all my hair off. Well, not all but it is certainly a lot shorter and no longer can I put it in a ponytail and I am perfectly happy with that.

Hope your Saturday treats you all well.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

TammyinGP

Thanks to Tammy and Fatozzig and Wildchild (4:30am?) for volunteering at local races today. Great pay-back!

shoot, was I  supposed to volunteer for my race today? because I ran it. maybe it's my fault that our timing machine didn't work then. that was probably my job.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Why am I starting the daily then? Well first off I have a 5 hour head start on Coastwalker and who can resist that! Second I need to restore my reputation from the slurs hurled at me yesterday by Mariposai!  When I left for my run two days ago, it was NOT raining! Hear me? Not raining! Is it my fault it started while I was on the road? No, I tell you, no!

Somehow the day has gotten away from me - how can it be 6:37pm already?  I lazed about the house until 9am, went for a run, after I cleaned up DH and I went to Panera for lunch, then I took DD to the driving range to hit some golf balls, then want to my stepmom's Lularoe party (I must have heard the word "forgiving" used to describe a piece of clothing at least 20 times), then came home and grilled chicken and corn on the cob and made street tacos for DH and myself, then watered the garden and flowerbeds and harvested a basket of red lettuce, and now I am catching up with all of YOUR shenanigans..  A good Saturday. 

Good luck to Twocat and Mariposai!

9 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly-  Did you buy some LuLaRoe?  I love that stuff!  It is great for me for work-  Fun colors and patterns but can be styled to be work appropriate.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good luck to twocat and the maraposies (2?).

Off-and-on sun over here for the weekend

so I'm trying to send over to Cork

as much of the "on" part as possible. \

tw - when's the new hip?

how long do they last?

is it going to be a new, improved version?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jay, I figured you made notes from the day before so you have them ready to post so early each and every day.

Mike, I agree that Eric should mow his own lawn but we mow DD's in town because it is our duplex.

Holly I think you kept up with the day just fine and certainly got a lot done.

tomwhite, at least you know what the surgery involves and what the recovery will be. MrStarr had an anterior approach (from the front of the hip). It is less invasive and he was walking with just a cane within a week.

Bertha, did you take before and after pictures of your hair?

I slept in until 6:30 then had coffee while I read the paper. We now get THE GLOBE twice a week instead of The DAILY Globe. Big companies are buying up the smaller hometown papers and then move the printing and cut back like this. Forum News in ND owns it now so we've been getting a lot of ND and NW MN stories. I will have to get used to the online version, I guess.

After coffee I went for a long walk while listening to a new audio book which I didn't like so switched to music. I tried to run for a bit but my leg just didn't feel right. DD stopped over and looked at it (she is a nurse) and doesn't think it is anything to worry about. She remembered that MrStarr had a hematoma on his shin many years ago when he fell while working on the boat lift in the water. This is my slalom skiing leg so I hope it's better three weeks from now when we go on vacation.

Good luck to the racers tomorrow! Spinach, that is a long stretch of racing, congrats on 1st in AG.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It has been a long day.

I pulled my Mustang out of storage and cleaned it all up.  I ran 4 miles.  I went to my granddaughter's dance recital.  I went to a graduation party.  I went and bought a used lawn mower for 40 bucks and dropped it off at Eric's house...now, he can mow his own damn lawn.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!