Masters Running

I am a Pacer. TimBo is a Racer. What are you? (Read 456 times)

I am very quickly discovering that my Coach Tinman is an absolute wealth of information.  Here is a tidbit that caught my attention.  I am a Pacer.  TimBo is a definite Racer.  I'd love to hear what you think!

Bill

----------------------------

Racers and Pacers:

I believe there are two main types of runners: racers and pacers. Racers are competitive; they thrive on head-to-head battles and tend to be "thrill junkies." They love to compete against others. Pacers are into personal satisfaction dervived from taking their own path in life. The path tends to not include the element of competition to the same degree as racers. The pacer runs no faster in races than in training, normally. This isn't bad or good; and neither is the mentality of the racer. It's just the way each type of runner is programmed, mentally and emotionally.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

I'm a racer........I turn everything into a competition.....and sometimes my competitors are unknowing opponets.......E.G  This morning on my bike commute into work.....I picked off two other cummuters......Yeah, eat my dust you sissy..........
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think I'm a Pacer who wishes he was a Racer.  (and knows he probably won't ever be a Racer  )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

This is easy for me.  Definitely a racer.  I hate having anyone pass me on the dirt track when I do my daily run, and I run only to race.  Tinman is awesome.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't think it's that cut and dry.  I'm certainly more of a pacer, which is probably why I don's suffer from post-marathon blues - I enjoy all aspects of running and don't need a goal to train for to still enjoy running.  But, on the other hand, I am almost never able to achieve in training runs what I can do in races, so I must have enough competitiveness within me to drive me to push harder when there is competition.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I'd actually like to think I'm a pacer, but I suspect I'm more of a racer. Even when I say it's a low-key or "doesn't matter" race, I'm checking the results board to see how I did in my AG... and how the AG one step up and below compares to how I did. After all, I'll be in the older group next year, and always want to see who's coming up behind!

Prince of Fatness

I'd have to say I'm a racer.  I'm not sure how motivated I would be to train if there wasn't a race on the horizon.  I'm probably more motivated racing against my PR's than I am about racing other people (although if you are running with me down the home stretch I will try to beat you).

I used to try to "race" people while out on training runs.  If I saw someone else out running I'd try to keep up with or pass them.  I don't do that anymore because then I would be deviating from the intent of that day's workout, which in turn would prevent me from doing my best on race day.  So yeah, I guess it's all about the race.

Not at it at all. 

Renee the dog

I'd love to be an all-out-puke-your-guts-at-the-finish-then-pass-out Racer, but the fact is 15-20 sec. after the race, I'm off the course and have at least 1 if not 2 kids on me.  I have to switch modes into Mommy right away, including not dropping the toddlers. 

I left that other part of me behind the day I chose to be a Mom.

So, I'm a Pracer. (hybrid)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Pracer - I like that.

Since I'll probably always be a middle to back of the packer in trail runs and only race against myself and my previous time, I probably fall into the pacer category.  Always, my #1 goal is to finish and finish before the cutoffs.  If I beat my previous time on the same course, then all's the better.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Definitely a pacer. I'm not uber competitive in races. I like to improve my own times if I've been training consistently so that I can see if my training is paying off. And sure, I like to beat a few other ladies in my AG, so that pushes me to run a bit faster than I probably normally would if I were just on my own, but it's more of seeing improvement in my own times that motivates me.  I do run my race times faster than my training times, but on the grand scheme of things, I don't think I really fit that definition of "racer".

Tammy

Beginner all over again

The pacer runs no faster in races than in training, normally.

This will probably be me for another year.

I do Run/Walk, so if I cut my walk-segment a bit that instantly improves pace even when not running faster during my jog-segments.

I'm a midnight chaser. 

I don't want to hurt no one.  oooohhhh, oooohhhh.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Maniac 505

Used to be a racer,  now I am a pacer,  Don't know what I will be tomorrow.  I haven't quite decided what direction my running is going to take.  with my history of injuries in the past, I have probably been too quick to back off on training.   if I get a solid base built back up I might decide to work on some speed again?

Dave

Marathon Maniac #3309

Kewl, Mr. Tinman mentioned me in the book (grins)---- I have to admit being a little confused about your thread Bill, and I gave it a lot of thought during my run tonight (Monday night)----Yes I definitely think of myself as a "Racer" and love the thrill out of beating other people whether it's running or cycling. Lately I have been Cycling a lot, and again I get a huge thrill out of making others hurt so I can beat them....we are VERY good Friends at the end of the day BTW.----But I wonder what really makes the difference between a pacer and a racer. A really good pacer can "whoop up" a over zealous racer a lot of the time I have figured out. But one of the most important things I have found out is....a persons pain threshold. I can stay in the "red zone" for a very very long time, when others may give up...I absolutely Love the feeling of being on the edge and "having" to give it my all to beat someone (I really can't describe really how strong these emotions and feelings are, but they are strong....and I enjoy the "puke feeling" while racing and trying to beat others)---- I have talked to many of my good athlete friends, and we ALL seem to have this one characteristic in mind....make the other one hurt badly, and kick them when they are down (figuratively speaking, as to not sound mean hearted) With that, never wish bad on anyone, really. But when the clock ticks off and the race is on....we are not Friends again till the end of the race. Then we laugh and cherish the moment we just experienced, and drink a beer or 2 or 3 (smiles)----- There seems to be a divide here with this "very good thread" The one's who want to push so hard there guts feel like falling out. Then the one's who just want to better themselves and maybe beat a few in their AG.----But to me, the one's who "say" they are not racers but rather pacers....are really racers in their own heart.----Speed to me is all relative. But if I have someone in my sights, I am going for it come hell or high water. Truth be known.....most if not all of you are the same exact way.---- Can you "teach or coach" a person to "dig" deeper and want to feel the hurt or pain of winning....don't think so. But it needs to come from within...a very strong and burning desire to win, and do your best.----I have that, and I really think most here at RA do. But like Holly said, I lack NO motivation if I didn't have any races planned....I just "simply Love to run".....does that NOT just sum it up!!!!----I really don't know for sure what I am saying here I guess. But I tackle everything in my life the same way....all out. Is that always Wise.....prolly not. But I am not going to die and wonder....what could have been!---- This is a very fun topic, thanks Bill....and the best of luck to a Superstar here at RA (you Bill)!----Timbo---- Oh yeah....."embrace the puke"

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

kcam

I guess I'm a pacer (though I run much faster in races than I ever do in training).  I don't feel like I'm competing AGAINST other racers so much as I feel I am competing WITH other racers.  I'm going for the best time I can get (because I'm not going to be first across the line) and if I can use another racer ahead of me as motivation I'll do it.  But I'd really prefer that as I pass the guy (or gal) 50 or 100 meters from the finish that that racer picks it up and won't let me go without a 'fight'.  That's movitation - we both sprint in;  he or I crosses first but we both give it everything we've got.