Masters Running

TGIF, January 15 Runs - Rest - and Pushups?? (Read 496 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

ToneZone was good last night.  The only problem is that the instructor gets to talking and telling stories and forgets to count or stop ..... I can't even tell you how many squats we did before we cried Uncle!    Inner thigh sqeezes were non stop too.    After being tortured for an hour I went home to play my new Wii Fit Plus, but I didn't have much time to play with it.    I did create one of the dogs - Hailey - and she weighs 58 pounds.   Not so sure she appreciated me holding her up on that board like that.  Big grin

No time for a run this morning - stayed up tooooooo late last night.

15 push ups - boy style.   Not sure I'll be able to keep those up - might have to do the girlie ones.

Cheers!!

P.S.   Good luck with your taxes SteveP. 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Awww.....Taxes.....It's getting to be that time.

It's bad enough doing my own but then I end up doing the teenagers as well.

A nice easy 5 mile this morning......Recovery plan is going well.

Ok, I give what did Tim say about his job and where? 

tetsujin209 you are going to have a hard time beating my eventual record!  It will be my one year no running anniversary on February 6.  Sigh.

Steve P. after you apply for those deductions I have a good tax lawyer you may need in the not too distant future. 

My condolences to all the people in Haiti and their friends and relatives.  At work they are helping to make it easy to donate to the rescue effort.  It is hard to see how anything will get to those poor people fast enough.

It is finally going to break the freezing mark here!

My DW's aunt passed away yesterday.  I would not morn her passing.  She had a good life.  Lived I suspect without any regrets.  She really died long ago.  Her mind has been gone for quite some time now.  This was a blessing.  DW and I did a little toast to her last night.  The wake and funeral are this Monday and Tuesday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning!

Mary.. you can break the pushups up throughout the day when you reach your max (or before) (5 x 3?)

Slo-- 5 miles! Awesome!

I'm resting peacefully after yesterday's knee arthroscopy.  Even cut down on the pain killers dosage Smile

I have this circulating ice water pack for the knee which is so "cool"

My knee discomfort disappeared while watching Haiti coverage Sad

<<<Haitians>>>

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

My knee discomfort disappeared while watching Haiti coverage Sad

<<<Haitians>>>

You are a good man Perch.  Speedy recovery to you!

{{{Twocat and wife}}}}

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Perch

I had one of those pumps that circulated Ice Water after I had my shoulder surgery. It would pump up with air for a good snug fit then pump Ice Cold water through.......I think they called it a Cryo Sports Pump.....Good stuff.

Wishing you a quick return !

Tramps

Perch--I hope all goes well with the recovery.

5.1 miles @ 8:39 on somewhat sproinkless legs + core work.  Nasty weather forecast for Sunday so it looks like tomorrow will be my long run day.  I hope I have a little more energy tomorrow.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

She had a good life.  Lived I suspect without any regrets.

She lived a good life, that is what I want people to say about me at my funeral.

Perch, great to hear that you are doing well. Take it easy today and let them pamper you.

{{{wildchild}}}}, I hope your doctor's visit on Monday brings light to your ouchie foot.

{{{{erika}}}} you may not be running, but you must be looking h*t with all those visit to the gym you are doing lately.

Timbo better not be taking that job. This is considered slavery in my books.

Ok, so I went to this website http://hundredpushups.com/ last night and was able to do 21 of them, so I guess I am in for the challenge to get to 100 in six weeks.

With sore arms and only 5 hours  of sleep (I was interpreting at my other job last night and that c-section lasted a bit longer than planned) I went out for a 7 miler this morning. Great effort and a good time to send some prayers for those people in Haiti.

Last day of work before a 3 day weekend. Being a state employee has its benefits , I guess.

Hi tamster!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Speedy recovery to you Perch.  The knee wrap sounds cool.

Lift, step, spin.  Packed house again.

Yesterday was 11 miles while watching 300.  Tough way to start a morning.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone,

Hopeful: "girlie ones?" we don't do no stinkin girlie ones around here! Sounds like you had a great workout last night.

TwoCat: Your family will be in my prayers today.

Perch: Glad to hear everything went well with your knee surgery. Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Mari: When you get to 100 push-ups do you just stay at that level?

8 miles easy for me today in 1:18:57 (9:53/mi). 15 push-ups, 100 ab crunches (4x25) and 45 lower abs (3x15).

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

Perch – my DH had that same piece of equipment.  Great idea, that.  I keep waiting for a knee injury so I can try it. 

Mariposai – I put in application for a county job that was recently posted, just because of those benefits.

Twocat - re Tim - read my yesterday post.

It was 39° this morning (!!), and even though Friday is typically x-training day, I just had to get out in that balmy air.   What a difference in how that warmer air felt!    Or maybe in how I felt in that warmer air!  Almost felt like spring.  (I know, I know, dream on, Holly, spring is still a long way off.)

3.7 recovery-paced (ave 10:44) miles outside, followed by some light x-training:  shoulder presses, butterflies, weighted squats, dead lifts, dumbbell curls, stability ball crunches, and of course, 15 push-ups.  Actually I did 30 push-ups, but didn’t want to seem like an over-achiever. 

After this weekend, between my day job and the tax job, I’m scheduled to work 13-hour days every weekday (except this Wed.) for the next 3 weeks, and Saturdays 9-5.  While I am enjoying working the tax job I didn’t anticipate working quite so much.  I was thinking 8-10 hours/week.  I talked to the manager about it the other night and said that I can handle working every day if I could leave at 8pm instead of 9pm most days.  He said, no problem, come in for 2-3 hours, then you can go.  But I have been thinking, how will my co-workers feel if I am just waltzing out at 8pm when we are all scheduled until 9pm? 

This is my last official whine on the subject.  I will not speak of it again. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, good luck with the recovery.  How long are you supposed to rest?

Walt, I liked your advice to TimBo yesterday. Very succinct. 

Tim,

Stop negotiating with that ass-clown. Now.

Walt

I think I'll pass on the pushup challenge. I agree with Tom that doing 20-25 on a regular basis is plenty.  Why would you want to do 365?  Or even 100?  Or is this like the ultra mentality - if running 26.2 miles is good, then 50 miles is better, and 100 miles is really good?

DD and I are going to see Cats tonight in Denver - I got her tickets for a Christmas present because she loves musical theater. Well, I guess it was a Christmas present for myself too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

TwoCat - Timbo didn't post yesterday. Holly was just relaying info via an email she received from him so everyone was throwing in their opinion. And I agree as well with what everyone said. He's not someone that Tim should be getting involved with. If he REALLY wants Tim and his expertise to manage his shop, then when Tim walks away (and you better Tim!) and says "no pay? no Way!" . . . let's see if he changes his tune.

not much happening with me. A few runs this week, but nothing noteworthy worth mentioning. Laura and I are running in a local 10K tomorrow morning. It's a hilly, challenging course, so it's nothing I plan on PR'ing . . .just a good workout.

Tammy

evanflein

Carolyn, that sounds like fun! I hope you and DD have a great time.

DH and I are going to see "Men Who Stare At Goats" tonight at our favorite little movie house/bar just outside of town. Nice to watch a movie in cushy chairs with a glass of wine or draft beer and some sweet potato fries. Yum! Has anyone here seen that movie? I heard it was pretty good, but it wasn't "talked about" much, if you know what I mean.

Holly, I would think most people in that type of job (seasonal or on-call) would be working some varied hours. You get paid for what you work, so it shouldn't matter to anyone else what your schedule is. Be sure to take care of yourself the next few weeks though. A schedule like that could wear anyone down, not to mention someone training for a marathon!

Twocat, Holly posted new from TimBo a few days ago (Wednesday?) about some unbelievable requests for the guy he's thinking of working for. Our general consensus (not that he asked for it, really) is that he should run, not walk, the opposite direction. The guy sounds like a total low-life.

Mary that ToneZone class sounds good! And then WiiFit later, wow you are a glutton for punishment. My dog always hated being picked up to be weighed. She just sort of froze with that stoic look on her face.

Mariposai, yes, public employment does have it's perks! I'm off on Monday, too so looking forward to a three-day weekend. All the same, I'd rather Rev. King had stayed with us longer and I'd gladly give up that day off.

Ok, folks, it's test run day today! I promise to keep it short and easy. After all, I still want to do some ab work and maybe leg stuff in the weight room and I don't want to get all sweaty anyway. Got a hot date tonight, remember?

King of PhotoShop

I'm still here Fatozzig. I just don't always have so much to say, but I will be happy to explain a bit more about the pushup challenge which Holly mentioned yesterday and many of you commented on.

One of my running clubs is the Lake Grapevine Runners and Walkers and once again we are having a pushup challenge.  As Holly explained, you do one on January 1st, 2 on the 2nd and so on.  If you wish to join late, as of today the 15th, you would have to do 120 of them today, or at least space them out over the next few days to get caught up.  You do not have to do them all at once in a day, but you cannot "bank" them by doing any in advance.  Last year, the challenge ended sometime in June.

Here is the official site for it, and you will see that Perch and Nally are on there.  If you want to join in, you have to be caught up by the date stated on the website:

http://sites.google.com/site/pushupchallenge2010/home

If interested, write to Michelle, the lady in charge.  Her address is on the website and just tell her you are a friend of Spareribs on RunningAhead.  She will add you.

My goal is to get to the end of March, and no I do not have any aspirations of doing 365 pushups on December 31st, or 66,000 pushups in 2010.  I just want to have a fun way to add to my core work which has been helping me a lot with my running, in that it has kept me from getting injured.  The trainers at the Y where i work out are helping me by putting me on the back and chest machines (lat pulldown, row, etc.), and have explained that pushups are a terrific core workout because they use so many muscles.  I did my 15 this morning, as did Perch, despite his surgery yesterday.  He's tougher than I am.

I think I am going to run a marathon at the end of March, not for time, just to finish comfortably.  Aamos, who as you all know I hate very much, talked me into doing that Heart thing at the Twin Cities Marathon, and they won't let me run the marathon as part of the deal if I haven't run one since my surgery, so I am going to run Tim's (wa5yom)

race in Ardmore, OK March 28th to get that out of the way.

Carry on.  Spareribs