Masters Running

Monday, June 7 - anyone running? (Read 615 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I know as soon as I start this, some one else will too!  Big grin

Rest day for me.   Yesterday this is how DH and I spent the afternoon, unfortunatley you can't see my really kewl flowered helmet. 

We put on about 50 miles.   He finally got his Cushman running after waiting 3 months for a new carburator.  WE visited both of his uncles, each of who owned this scooter back in the day.    As Tag would say, it was fun, fun, fun.   This morning I rode to work and it was SO COLD!!   Only in the 40's today.   I now have my heater going full blast, drinking coffee.

Happy Monday everyone!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsnSQtsdMJI

lookin' good hopeful//.............rest day for me  too.............

======

thanks to everyone

for the help on the Kinesio Tape.

got some ordered and found taping ideas on U-Tube

NEWBIE QUESTION-

will Kinesio Tape

come off if I Poolrun??

didn't know how long it stays on for.

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning Mary and Tom and all to follow.  Nice photo Mary!

Rest day for me today.  DH stayed home from work to get a doctor appointment about his summer cold, so I slept in an extra 45 minutes – ahhhhhh.

In spite of running a 50K, I managed to GAIN a pound over the weekend.  (sigh)  Now that I have no races on the immediate schedule, I have no excuse not to get my eating under control.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Mary, Tom and all to follow. Nice pic Mary - love the helmet. Isn't this cold weather kind of refreshing after the heat and humidity we've been having? I saw on the national news that Michigan had some tornadoes go through over the weekend - hope everything is safe in your world.

Good luck with the taping lesson, Tom! How are your hips and all things connected feeling lately?

I see we had some fantastic races over the weekend, and I'm anxious to read all about Tammy's PR, and Tim and Holly's heat adventures.

I've had a bad case of the "mean reds" and feeling sorry for myself because of my stoopid foot. But I'm off the pitty pot and hoping that the doc will be able to help me out today. I did get out and run 6 this morning. Painful, but done, 9:46 pace. I'm only worried that I'm making it worse by running on it. Did have a little help for half a block this morning, though. I was running down one of the neighborhood streets at 4:45 AM and some people were standing in a garage, still partying from last night. They hollered at me as I ran by, next thing I know there's a guy running next to me. It scared the sh$% out of me at first, but he was shouting out cadence as he ran with me, then said "how far are we going this morning?" I answered 6 miles. We got about half a block and he said "I'm done" and turned around and went back. Must have been all of the beer sloshing around in his belly.

Will is crawling!! They came over for dinner last night and he's just figured out how to get his butt up and legs motoring. I told his parents, they better watch out now!

Good Morning folks

Great photo Mary!

6 miles at 6:00 am for me----tired from all the weekend racing and fun, so pretty listless and lethargic pace today. Storms yesterday chased all the humidity away and scrubbed the skies clean. A few tornado watches and warnings in this area even. Burrowed under my quilts and windows wide open. 

Careful JLynne and good luck at the doctor. The kiddo crawled backwards or scooted about on his rear end before he walked. Two more weeks of middle school for him and it was just yesterday I swear when his little diaper butt would enter the room first! (they start school here just before Labor Day---so out at the end of June)

Good Day all

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holly - I with ya girlfren....even my fat pants are tight now.    Last night I had DH put the asparagus on the grill and it was so good that way!!

JLynne - that would have scared the CRAP out of me!   The tornado's were south of us, so we are okay - thanks for asking!     Baby Will is growing up too fast!     Good luck at the doctor's today - be sure to report back as soon as you can.

Hallar - I don't really have anything on my schedule yet.    I'm pretty sure I'll do the Coast Guard 10K this year (end of July), so that'll give me something to gear up towards.   Maybe the Grand Rapids 1/2 too - haven't done that one in a few years.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

lamerunner

Good morning. No run today ; time for a rest.  Probably a swim at some point today.

Yesterday I ran 14 miles on the Massabesic rail trail. Showery but not bad.  There wasa  mountain bike race going on out there too; fortunately it covered only about a mile of the trail I was on and stuck mostly to some other fire roads and bike trails.

The exciting weather came later. Ds had a soccer game which was called early because of  a forming funnel cloud and thunder. It was weird. SKies got very dark; the kids played throught he weather for a  while but then the refs suspended and the coaches decided just to call it. We never get tornado  weather here... by 5:30 p.m. the sun was out.   Looks like a pretty nice week.

Saturday was a hot and humid 10 miler. then DS karate test and all the prom festivities for DD.  For her, kind of a dry run for next year.  All in all, a busy weekend.

Some great runs here over the weekend; Erika's impromptu 21 miler and Holly's 50k. Very impressive!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice picture Mary................I bet those scooters are a blast....and happy you two are wearing helmets  I wish it would have been this cool Sat for me and Holly.....but with weather, Ya just never know. Hey Mary, Ya want some excitment in your life...............forget you have your helmet on and go for a run (I did that running a brick a while back, while barefoot running)  

Excuse me for not knowing this tomwhite, but are you injured, or coming back from injury?.....you seem to cross train a lot is why I am asking....anyways, well done on your workouts.

Happy you got some extra sleep Holly.....................and weight, I am NOT about to weigh myself for at least a couple of days. I think part of my stomach issues Sat, was how much I ate and carb loaded for the 50K. I didn't eat junk, but what I did eat was wayyyyyy to much of it. Me and Holly both commented on feeling bloated before we started the race.....happy now I can go back to my normal eating habits.

Jlynne, be careful Sweetie with that foot......being safe now, may save your running for the rest of the summer. Good luck at the Doc, and hope you find some answers and and a game plan for recovery. Cool too, that lil' Will is crawling around now............LOL, the parents better watch out now for sure  

Hi Karin..................sounds like we had about the same kinda weather. We had a cold front come through, and actually had a reported tornado touch down a few miles from home..........I didn't hear or know a thing at the time, just heard about it later on the news.....nice 6 miler too (you must have raced.....guess I better go back and read more carefully

Lots of miles for you over the weekend lamerunner, with the nasty H&H Sat like a lot of folk. All in all, sounds like you had a nice weekend!

Need to check up on Erika's impromptu 21 miler...............I can't imagine that from Her

My legs are not feeling too bad today, and I think recovery will be fairly quick. Like Holly told me.....running on trails and softer surfaces, is much more forgiving on the legs....even though it is a lot of miles. I tried to run a few easy miles yesterday, but my left arch was super sore...so I walked an easy 3 miles to loosen my legs up. I will probably ride my Bike a few days to help recover faster, then I am signed up for a Duathon this coming Sat.....10K Run - 40K Bike - 10K Run. I know I will not be a full strength by Sat, but this is a new racing series for us in our City, so I feel like I need to support it (but I am not pushing 2 - 10K's.....but Cycling hard I can do and be fine.

I told Holly again how much I enjoyed the 50K, and it's pretty much the most special accomplishment of my athletic life. Yes, I have done some other very long races whether Cycling - Triathlons - and Running, but there was just something about covering that distance with the challenging / muddy course - H&H conditions - and even with some of my issues that were very uncomfortable at times. Heck, if it were possible.....I would run another 50K this weekend (hehe, I think it would take probably a month or so to completely recover) but I think I may try and find some similar trails around here and trail run more often.....although, we don't have many dirt trails around here.

Just got done washing all my muddy cloths and my new Nike Frees....everything pretty much looks like new again (but I left that stuff in my gym back since Sat after the race)..............began to stinky very much.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend, and is having a nice Monday so far 

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Umpteen miles spent wandering around a huge flea market on a hot Sunday afternoon should count for SOME sort of training in the training log.......I see walking.....running....biking....swimming......BUT NO FLEA MARKETING....Sheesh.

Well, the good news is.....I bought NOTHING.....so the only benefit was the "training" in the heat.

Joey

Vista
                    Kimmie

Love the picture!!   You ARE Bad to the Bone, Mary.

Holly and Tim, congrats on your 50K.   I find it truly amazing!   I know that I am done after running 26.2, so I can't imagine running more.

Jlynne,  Hope the Doctor is able to help.

My weight has been up awhile, too.  And I can't blame carbo-loading or anything.  I keep waiting for the "I'm going to be seen in a bathing suit" motivation to kick in.

Missed my long run this past weekend; took the Brownies camping for the first time.   Very fun and we did it all without any assistance from the MEN,  Smile    Go Girl Power!!    

Hope to get back on track this week.   Ran 6 miles this morning.

Have a good one all!

oh, and tom- I'm not sure, but I think kinesio tape WILL come off in the pool.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Holly and Tim, congrats on your 50K.   I find it truly amazing!   I know that I am done after running 26.2, so I can't imagine running more.

Yeah Kimmie, I thought the exact same thing many times during my 26 mile training runs. But this kind of running is totally different than road running, and you don't really - push push push, like a road race. There are times to rest a little walking up a steep muddy hill, short rest stops at water stations, and it's at a much slower pace than road racing. Anyone who can run a Marathon, can run and finish a 50K Ultra.....really.

Like soooo many people told me - whether one's racing /  volunteers / or RA folk - they said it's not about time.....but it's an adventure and experience you will never forget (yup, they were all right about that)

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Will's crawling, what a neat update!  Can his first race be far from now (I can see Grandmum pushing him in a stoller, can't you?

Way to go Holly and TIm--real fortitude.  I can image you two refusing to give in to the elements.

I can sort of see the helmet, Mary.  Very chic.

Tammy and Econo set  PRs at the Newport Marathon--waiting on those reports, ladies.

2 years ago, I was supposed to run the Deadwood Marathon, but ended up at the hospital tending to D and his post-op care.  Yesterday, he ran the Deadwood Half in 2:27 and I finished the full in 3:57.  A good chapter to close. 

Trial Thursday for me, so must go prepare.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Tim and Holly, I was so happy to hear you both finished that 50K.  A proud accomplishment for sure.  And Tim, dirt trails are the best, dry ones in particular.

I have tornado nightmares all the time, you guys aren't helping.  At least out here we don't get them, just earthquakes.  And we are do for "the big one" in the next I don't know how many years.  And our neighbourhood is right along a fault line.  But still they don't scare me like tornados (I think it was those emergency movies in school they showed)

Holly I must have the same cold as your DH.  Got up today and coughed non-stop for 40 minutes.  Still thinking about a run though as the coughing has quieted down.  Worst stupid cold in 6 years and I wasn't stressed out or sleep deprived when I picked it up.

Mary - nice picture!

Happy runs and stuff!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

good morning everyone! 

I hope to get a RR up today sometime - here's a few links to the race course photos if anyone is interested:

http://aep.exposuremanager.com/p/nm10_100/100_nm10_008_14_2_2_2

http://aep.exposuremanager.com/p/nm10_100/100_nm10_051_14_2_2_2

TomthePirateMan - I've used kinesio tape before and while I haven't pool run with it on, I have left it one for about a week and of course taken showers with no problems. If you really press it on good I think it might stay on while in the pool.

Tammy

Slo

Big 'Ole Wave to everyone !

I just got done doing a quick scan of the last couple of days. So much to comment on......

I'll just stick to my stuff. 

Internet blackout at home due to the move. I'm switching internet providers so it's not quite plug and play....new modem to set up, Ethernet lines to run...yadda, yadda yadda.

Survied the move......although our front loading washer may not have........there was water running out of it everywhere when we did the first load last night. Just another priority on the ever expanding to-do list !

Skipped Sundays long run and I stayed in bed as long as I possibly could have this morning so there'll be no run today either.......but I think the batteries are recharged and I'll be ready tomorrow.

I'm excited....I've got new routes to carve out.

Later All !