Masters Running

The Thursday 12/5 Daily (Read 40 times)

I am posting this late enough that it is actually Thursday across quite a bit of the US. So for once, I do not get to the daily a day early, or something like that.

evanflein I am pretty sure that under no circumstances would I think -3 is anything to look forward to, consider normal, or include any other positive attribute.

Mike E I have the same reaction to tempo runs. They kill me! Then in a race I  do them. Weird.

Falconfixer first tip: the stock market will either go up or down during your today. I will not end at the same value it started at.  Let me know how much my cut is. On present shopping, I used to get my DW jewelry, but she never wears any. So I gave up on it. I trust you have quite a bit more success on the buy jewelry and the wear jewelry front than I do.

Henrun you know what they say about Philadelphia! First prize in the contest is a week in Philadelphia and second prize is two weeks in Philadelphia.  I love that crack! Just a weekend. That must have been some top prize!

Surly Bill see if you had given out chocolate more often you would not have found people acting in ways you dislike so often!

Dave59 I do not know, people tend to be very good unless their self interest is otherwise.

roachrunner good luck in the 5k and stay warm!

dnaff that at least will be one happy dog.

fatozzig I take it no appointment, when not an emergency, means you get to see somebody rather quickly. Not a good incentive scheme.

tetsujin209 nope just TM and meeting tables. Pretty neat about your trip to the Great Wall. One day I may get to see it. I am not dead yet!

Holly S. I used to think I could count on my research assistants to not blow up assignments. Alas, . . . Now I have come to your view of things.

tomwhite that reminds me, when I get back some pretty dirty cars need to go to the wash. But I will forget between now and then. 

BTY well congratulations on the new snow blower! Now imagine getting your DW a household appliance for Christmas in exchange. Then I suppose you would have to imagine what a divorce attorney looks like and then . . .

HopesMom I am not sure of you actual view of your insurance company, but if you are unhappy why not shop around a bit?

Dave59 that is awesome! Christmas tree up and down in under 15 minutes. Please, please talk to my DW.

Tramps I am not sure why that ad bothers people. I read the commentary. I see an ad for a luxury product, marketed to wealthy people. Seems like a lot of other ads that do that.

RunnerKSA I hope that dinner turns out well. I am sure you colleague will be well represented.

coatwalker man an allergy to pecans! That is too bad. One of my favorite dishes is pecan pie. Glad you DW is finally over it.

buehrle how has the back been since getting the cyst out. All better I hope.

SteveP remind me never to let you cook.

mrrun you win crack of the day! Then SteveP gets rejoinder of the day.

I spent last night at a new hotel and it had a pathetic gym (two TMs, no elliptical and certainly no pool the size of a lake). Worse it closed at night and only opened up at 6:30. I figured I better get there right at 6:30 if I wanted to find a free TM. Boy was I right. At about 7:45 I finished my 10k run and there was a line for the TMs. After that it was packing, breakfast and then a trip to Tsinghua university to give my talk. Lunch at the school (awful food!) and then to the airport for my flight to Hong Kong.  Assuming all is well in Hong Kong, I need to figure out a schedule of some sort. I am free much of Sunday and would like to see something other than the hotel and conference venue.

In weird regulatory news: As I mentioned in a prior post, quite a few websites are blocked in China. But, if you have a VPN you can get around the block. Now you would think the government would then block VPNs. But, there is a company in China that will sell you unlimited VPN for $99 per year. Basically, the government blocks web pages unless you are willing to pay $99/year to view them.  I sort of get why this makes sense from their perspective, but still . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

TwoCat, I'm loving your trip. Not the food so much.

Jay, That's a lot of snow removal.

As for Thanksgiving gathering with family... we met at Dear Sister 2's house for dessert.  I broke the rules because I called my brother in law an A$$.  Fortunately, not many folks were around. And he is one. So. Butt. Totally inappropriate for me to do that.

Our loved one will challenge our serenity.

KSA, you rock.

Dave59, ooohhh Cap'n Crunch.

HollyS, I'm sorry to hear you'll be in a sling. The rest of it sounds like it isn't very fun.

At this point, my policy is renewed, I have made nobody's day miserable, and I am not a bitch, so it's all good.

Yay!!!!

TammyinGP, I knew you were going to donate before you told us.

Hopes - I need to look into new homeowner's insurance.  Who do you use?  I'll be sure to not contact them. 

One common mistake with homeowners insurance is people buy too much coverage.  The value of the house and land are covered. In the event that the house burns to the ground, no one is going to have to replace the land.

BTY..Congrats on the snowblower and I hope you never need to use it.

Roch, love the Egg Nog Jog fee.

Ohhh a Witch Burning Festival!!!

Erika, I've never been lost on a treadmill.

SteveP

Joe618

Morning, all.   Hope the flight goes OK TwoCat!!  Thanks for bringing us along on your tour.   VPN away!!

Steve, you are a hoot.

Off early for a local seminar of manufacturing/process geeks.     Will run 6+ after work.

Purdue wiped out Virginia last night...sweet.

Have a great day, all.   Burritos for lunch for me...I'm feeling good already.   Who needs chocolate????? 

See ya. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Thanks, twocat.  Safe travels.  I have a lot to say, but I'm late so I'll stop back.  Just wanted to check in and say that I did 3.1 treadmill miles.  I had to get started early because I have a mandatory- late notice VP and above meeting at 8 this morning.  I suspect we are getting big news such as our next CEO has been named????  I don't have details yet.    Stomach issues last night and this morning made for fun running- too rich food at dinner or something was off.....lovely.     Good win by Purdue, Joe.     Vandy had a nice win the other night against a good Buffalo team.  IT was fun.  Winning is fun! (who knew?)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I didn't feel doing anything (in the run and workout arena) when I woke up this morning, so I didn't.  Took a shower, got dressed, made some coffee, and started working. Some days it just feels good to start work early and get a jump on things.

I'd like to figure out a workout I could do at the fitness center here in Devonshire. Something to build some strength and do on days off from running. They have a good selection of dumbbells and some machines.  I could do research on-line and figure something out, but what I'd really like is someone to show me in person, so I am going to keep a lookout for someone who could do that. I'd be more motivated if I wasn't totally on my own.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BTY

Good morning, Runners!  

3,000 yards in the pool this morning.  Execution was: swim 1,000 yards in just under 20:00, take a little break, start back in again at 20:00 on the dot, repeat, for one hour.   I rested for a few seconds every 200 yards or so, just enough to get a swig of the powerade/water concoction I keep deckside, until it was gone at about 2,400 yards or so.   I noticed that at about that same time I was beginning to slow down a few seconds per 200, and thought that it could be from fatigue alone, or it could be due to fatigue-induced erosion of form, or any number of otherthings I'm not aware of.....   I concentrated on my form for a little bit and saw that it made no difference - even slowed down a little more.  Then I focused on just "lengthening the vessel" as someone mentioned on here the other day, and my pace went back to where I wanted it - basically 1:55 per 100 yards with a 10-second break every 200.   After logging my workout here, I went back into the reports and pulled up all of my workouts of 2000 to ~4800 yards and discovered that yes I have done the 3,000 yards in one hour workout at least 2 times in the past, but the difference is that today I had marked it as an "easy" workout and the other times they were marked as "hard".       
                     My pie-in-the-sky goal is to swim 2 miles in one hour, meaning an additional 520 yards in the same amount of time, and that will definitely not come the day after a hard intervals workout.   But I'm going to try to figure out where I'm going to squeeze another 525 yards into that 1 hour.  Realistically, I think the answer is that it will always remain a pie in the sky goal, because I will need to swim 1:41 per 100 yards (down and back in a 25-yard pool in 50 seconds-ish)  for 2 miles, and that is outside of the imaginable for me right now; but I will see how close I can come to that goal, nonetheless.   Sounds crazy today but someday it may be maddening, instead.  :-)     

Have a greta day, Runners!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Twocat.

There is already a lot going on here today, but I am so behind the 8-ball that I have no time to reply appropriately. I've been on the phone for the last hour, trying to wrestle through some significant issues related to a grant for which the application is due tomorrow. I hate gotta love this last-minute stuff!

I did finally manage to get out for a workout this morning on mostly-cleared roads, and in 26°, under mostly-clear skies. I went 6.3 EZ RW miles, slowing down every time the roads got slushy/icy. Not an extraordinarily satisfying workout, but it was good to be out there after 3 snow days.

We're leaving for a quick weekend trip to NJ tomorrow. A niece is in her final high school play (she graduates next Spring), so we're going to enjoy the performance.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

We have a new leader here at the shop!  We poached Macy's CEO and he starts January 13.  Our wonderful CEO announced his own retirement plans over a year ago, and our search has been extensive.  I wasn't involved, but it was crucial that whoever came here was a good fit for our culture.  This guy's press release picture has him wearing jeans, so we're good with that!  He's excited about coming here and he's young (45).  I have high hopes, but change is always hard. 

My evening last night was quite wonderful.  I had asked the 2 bigwigs who were with us and on the panel presentation (2 of our 3 company female board members) if they would sign a card for my employee whose niece was murdered since she couldn't attend and really felt bad about missing it.  Since she is our only African American manager right now and I really wanted them to meet her.  Well, they held onto the card through dinner, and I didn't want to keep bugging them. When they gave it back to me after dinner, they had both written long messages to her and asked to be able to meet her in February when they come in for the next board meeting.  She is going to be so thrilled.  They also thanked me for developing and mentoring her.      Besides that, our celebration of the women at our company and our joint program and cocktail party with the greater Nashville organization for advancing women was terrific.   I'm exhausted, but I'll survive.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

One common mistake with homeowners insurance is people buy too much coverage.  The value of the house and land are covered. In the event that the house burns to the ground, no one is going to have to replace the land.

Yes, and another one is the automatic inflation accelerator.  We hadn't read the fine print each year on the premium invoice and were in fact insuring out home for something close to 5 times its value!   It took a month of red tape cutting but we got our insured value down closer to market value and saved quite a bit of $$$.

Sunny and 20 this morning.  My kind of weather.  My Siberian's too as a matter of fact.  We did a long loop of the park and I will finish the rest of today's workout sometime this afternoon.  Power walk or yoga - to be decided.

TammyinGP

Good Morning!

I ran 7 last night. 4 miles by my lonesome and then 3 with the group run. then I had a cranberry cider. soooo good!

No run today though - DH and I are going to see Ford v Ferrari after I get off work. It's the last night it's in our theatre and apparently we like to wait last minute to do things  . Let's hope we don't do that with Christmas shopping this year.

Tammy

Tramps

Yep, and I read through thinking of all the things I want to comment on, and then.... blank. BUT, I do remember some things.

RA open in two tabs; one to read, one to write.  (And -3 is cold.)

Twocat--my understanding is that VPN's are necessary for international business, thus their availability in China. Companies have to get permits for them. Individuals can get them without permit but VPN companies collaborate with the government; VPN users constitute a handy list of potential dissidents, which has sometimes been used for crackdowns. Foreigners are typically safe.

RSA--Hmmm....interesting choice, given that Macy's seriously tanked this year.

I'm one of those people that insurance companies have made a fortune off of over the years. I suppose I should be grateful for not needing to make claims but somehow it feels more like I'm a fool for paying so much.

Another gusty but otherwise IRC day for our 20-mile ride.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Twocat - xiéxié for another nice recap
                            and double jump on the day
                            with thanks to Steve too.

How’d the talk go? Did they have an interpreter who knew anything about economics? Any different from doing the same over here? Maybe ask ‘em to hold the next one at the Great Wall! In the meantime, I’ve heard there’s a few stairs around Hong Kong in case they give you a break from academics, etc.

Tom - very neat about @EelectricMiguel. 

Probably even an even neater aquarist.

I noticed that at about that same time I was beginning to slow down a few seconds per 200

BTY - Pretty impressive awareness of pace, especially in a pool.

Do you calculate from a pool side clock or something?

I didn't feel doing anything (in the run and workout arena) when I woke up this morning, so I didn't.  Took a shower, got dressed, made some coffee, and started working. Some days it just feels good to start work early and get a jump on things.

I'd like to figure out a workout I could do at the fitness center here in Devonshire. Something to build some strength and do on days off from running. They have a good selection of dumbbells and some machines.  I could do research on-line and figure something out, but what I'd really like is someone to show me in person, so I am going to keep a lookout for someone who could do that. I'd be more motivated if I wasn't totally on my own.

Dave - me too, wakin’ up so much at j-o’clock that, at a cloudy but dry 49o, I could have gone and doubled even the longer Hillside Trails’n’Stairs route I like but, I guess, I thought about it too much and went back to more zzzzzzzzzz’s.

I hope you figure out a strength regime at the Devonshire fitness place.

Kind of neat for me, though, to know somebody from a place called Devonshire which sounds like what my grandfather would say about where the "crumbs from the upper crust" live. At least it should get you in tomorrow's or, if twocat is still over there, day-after-tomorrow's recap.  Good luck.

KSA - based on how Macy's is cutting back here in Seattle,

your new CEO's probably very luck to be with you too.

Congratulations for your mentee too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TomW - The video of the electric eel is cool!  I'll be sharing that one.

Interesting comments about homeowner's insurance - especially about insuring the land.  Never occurred to me to ask why the land is being insured.  *sigh* I really need to get off my lazy butt and get going on replacing both auto and home insurance.

Tammy - What Steve said about your donation. 

I want to see "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood," "Ford v Ferrari," and "Knives Out."  Given how hard it is to get The Hub to the movies, I think I'm going to try for "Knives Out."

KSA - That's wonderful news that they want to meet your employee in February.

In reviewing the supplemental discovery responses I frantically put together Tuesday, I found a document that should've been included. 

I felt like David did this morning and went back to bed after I fed the cats.  Whole body felt heavy and tired.  But I brought my clothes to go for a walk at lunch and absolutely defy anyone to come into this office and derail my plans! 

Enjoy ~~

Image result for funny countdown to christmas images

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...Love the Poster fatozzig.....

==========

40s, no wind

.....60-min RC/trailboots at soccerfield.....

=========

my Old FootBall Buddy

is getting me in the Coach's Tent tomorrow

tonite

they're having an Awards Banquet

he said

they're getting 80-lbs of Chicken Wings, and 2-cases of Beer

(for 30-people)

I told him

''I've seen them eat, that's not gonna be enough food''

so

the Local HS Coach is bringing a Dozen Large Pizzas////////

...........I hope

they don't notice the Pepto-Bismol

I'm bringing with me.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....