Masters Running

Seis de Mayo, Friday, 5.6.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Interesting article in the WSJ about the declining numbers of people in road races:  http://www.wsj.com/article_email/how-millennials-ended-the-running-boom-1462473195-lMyQjAxMTA2NTAxNTgwNDU2Wj  Remember when the thinking was that all kids playing competitive sports should be regarded as "winners" so none would have to face the 'trauma' of not winning? Could that be part of what has fueled millennials' reluctance to participate in competitive sports, such as road racing? I'm glad that my AG is doing it's job and that our numbers of road race participants continues to increase.

I saw that article in the WSJ about Ed Whitlock (thanks for the link, Henry), and am astonished by what he has and continues to accomplish, along with his humble attitude and casual approach to training.

I'm glad the steroids are working for you, Henry. I hope that is a "one and done" situation, and that you can get back to pain-free running for as long as you want.

Nice ducks and Martins, Starr. I can't help at all with zombies, so it's a good thing you've got Mariposai and Twocat to advise you on such matters.

Nice final tough run before your adventure, Mike!

I've still got that minor but nagging pain in my butt. My inexpert, woefully uninformed opinion is that it might be a slight muscle pull. I did a lot of careful stretching and foam rolling this morning, but it didn't change anything. Will racing a half tomorrow further enrage it? Probably. Will I do it? I dunno. I'll head up there and do a thorough warm up and then decide to head to the start line or head back home. I don't want to race if I'm just half-a$$ed (so to speak), and it isn't a goal race, so it isn't worth a greater, longer-term injury. I'm just grateful that I have this little stuff to worry about, rather than more critical issues.

Good luck to the rest of this weekend's racers:

05/07 Coastwalker - Big Lake Half Marathon, Alton, NH

05/07 evanflein - Chena River Run 5k, Fairbanks, AK

05/07 milktruck - Big Lake Half, Alton NH

05/07 spinach - Lake Minnewaska Warm Up Half Marathon, Glenwood MN

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - good luck with whatever you decide to do.  Thanks for putting in the WSJ link for everyone.  It's an interesting issue about competition.

Fleet feet to all racers.

Ran 4+ this morning after the plumber left and saw a friend hadn't seen for awhile, so I walked with her in the middle.  And there were no drip, drops - no sun either, but at this point I'm not complaining.

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - no particular reason but are you breathing out or in on your right side stride?

Two mile total run down-and-back along the lake to Mary's Falls on the “Say-hey" kid’s birthday (85) and the first four minute mile in 1954 that probably only henry and The Selbs remember too first hand.  Same year as the kid's over-the-shoulder catch in the World Series that I'm sure amy knows too.  Both still vivid from the Movietone news reels at the local Saturday matinees back in those days before our town had television.
        Willie Mays - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK6zPbkFnE.
        Roger Bannister - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTXoTnp_5sI
        Off to a great start with DD this time:
        Re: Apology
        Dear Dad -
        just wanted to apologize for blaming u
        and your phone for the beeping noise
        while you were here last time
        It was the dishwasher.
        whoops.
        love u

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I jogged/walked 3.2 miles.  I started and ended with a 5 minute walk which I included in the total.

Got my exercise stress test scheduled for next Friday morning.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Today was a lovely morning to be outside for my run, 47ish degrees and a brilliant sunrise.  I saw at least 12 robin egg halves on the sidewalk, many of them on the river path, far from any trees.  Only separate halves.  I hope that means they hatched, and not that they got eaten.  Heading back home, I also saw a small river fish, about 4" long, freshly dead, on the sidewalk about 1.5 miles from the river.  A hawk flew inland and dropped it by accident?

We are meeting friends at Whole Foods at 5.  Apparently for $5 you get 5 small wine tastings and food that is paired to the wine.  I love wine pairings.  Especially the food part. 

8 miles for me today.  A light weighs and core workout planned later.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Oh, good luck racers, and hope you are feeling up to the half there Jayster.

Sayhey, of course I have seen that catch--Vic Wertz hit the ball.  I will also point out that while I may not have a memory of it, I was here on earth when the 4 minute mile record was broken.

7 for me this am, and it might be the last am in a while where the run was completed with the temps still below 70.  And that's not b/c I will be getting up later.  Just easy as I managed 6 with 2 bridge RTs last night, and there was a strong wind at the bridge.  Just missed the rain, too, so lucky day.

And the boys are on TV tonight.

Liked the article--Every once in a while, an article on Ed appears and I always always enjoy reading about him.

marj and henrun--any chance you'd bop up to Vermont in July?  I'm finally giving in to my curiosity about the Mad River marathon.  You could put together a relay team......

Happy Friday.  Boy howdy, am I looking forward to 5 pm!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

marj and henrun--any chance you'd bop up to Vermont in July?  I'm finally giving in to my curiosity about the Mad River marathon.  You could put together a relay team......

if we are there that w/e, we'll be doing the Stowe 8 miler which is about 45 minutes north of mad river valley (I think).  Stowe is a flag race for our running club, but we've made no plans at this time

...hi guys..........

===================

Here's a Useful Tip-

NEVER go SnowShoeing in Stanley, Idaho (population 62)

unless

you know What The Hell You're Doing

may be

offline for a bit

1-Feet are Fine

2-Back is Fried

.........................Good Running to Ya...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

henrun, neat that you had your best run in months.  Nice long runs for mari, and Mike.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 40s and calm.  I did 6 miles at an 11:29 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

5.4 easy miles yesterday, 5.2 even easier miles today. Nice sunny runs both days. Tomorrow is our first 5k of the series (and first race for me since last October) and I'm trying to be ready for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tet--I could watch those old track films all day...sometimes, I have.  Another one I like a lot is Billy Mills winning the 10k at the 64 Olympics.

I went 5 miles, today.  It was 90 degrees!  I ain't used to that.  I had to hurry up, though, because I had to get over to my daughter's house to take pictures of my granddaughters.  They were going to their formal middle school dance and they had a whole bunch of kids over.  They are such good kids.

Good luck to all the racers!

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

I cannot believe there is nary a peep about tomorrow's Kentucky Derby! Hey, this is a running forum and The Derby involves running. Not human running, true, but running nevertheless. Plus there is the necessary prep work for the race. You cannot just go into the day saying you are planning to watch The Derby, you have to be prepared. Just like any race. In this case, you need to make mint simple syrup in advance or how are you going to get sloberknockered on mint juleps? Also, what are you planning to eat? Asian? "American"? South-western? Tex-Mex? Shudder! No! You need southern dishes folks! Shrimp and grits for example, bourbon bread pudding, collard greens and more! True I am not planning on any of that other than the mint juleps, well perhaps the collard greens.

As to running, the human type, none for me today.  Too busy with work. Maybe tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jay - wondered about the idea of kids playing competitive sports are all are winners" as an impact on the declining numbers of people in road races.

The MOMs Run has fewer runners this year, but that may be due to an increase in the fee and the weather. Early number pickup was this evening, so that was a lot of fun. Many first-time 5K runners – I made sure to let them know that they should ABSOLUTELY put their number on their back, or else they would just look … SILLY!

TomWhite …

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

Dear tet--

Please do not ever post links to old track films.

Beacuse of those links, and then my searching

of other favorites such as the afore mentioned

Billy Mills' 1964 Olympick 10000 meter win and

the excitement of the announcer who screamed,

"Look at Mills!  Look at Mills!  Woo Hoo!"  I am,

now, still awake at almost 10:00.  This, I'm quite

certain, will cause me to oversleep tomorrow morning

which will, in turn, make me late in getting all of my

chores done, which will cause an argument between

Debbie and me, which could, possibly, spill into the

early morning hours of Sunday, causing me to,

once again, oversleep and be late for Church where

I am scheduled to participate in a drama before the

congregation, which I am quite sure will be ruined, now,

because of your actions!

Geeze...now, I know what your poor daughter puts up with.

Love, Mike E

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too mike.

I haven't seen Billy Mills' famous run in many decade

just fantastic when someone who isn't supposed to do something, does it anyway/

just when I thought things were going so great up in DD-land, I was dreading opening an e-mail to see what I'd left strewn around, out on the driveway or whatever 'cause I can only see the first part of the subject line on my computer, "Please pick-up . . . .".  However, when I got the courage to open it, to my great relief, it was "Please pick up a newspaper on the way home from the meeting."  whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)