Masters Running

Fri Jan 30 Runs and etc (Read 471 times)

Good morning, everyone! There was a bit of a melt yesterday, and the streets were not nearly as icy. So I didn't have to worry as much about falling on my at sign. Smile 3.1 miles, 30:04, 9:37/mi, AHR 132 (66% MHR) Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hill Runner

Good morning Lou, Nice weather here....31F and sunny when I finished. 8.08 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace. I broke 50 miles for the week and will take tomorrow off to rest. Only 11 weeks 'til Boston...WooHoo! Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice upright run this morning Lou. Are you feeling a bit sore from yesterday? Rest day for me. Thanks for all the compliments on my speedy 5K yesterday - I really owe all the thanks to Brinkley though. I gave him an extra treat for pulling me along. I finally finished by marathon shadow box, etc. and we hung it all up the other night. I call it my "marathon wall", but my husband call it the "tribute to yourself". Big grin I took the best pic I could - it is a narrow hallway leading to our family room. TGIF!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good Morning and TGIF ! Great swim this morning. Opened with 1000yds followed by drills for a total of 2000yds. Just figured out whats been missing this morning.......no fish burps. Forgot to take my vitiamans Tongue Last nights run was in double digits ! Still in the teens but this time I had a stiff cross wind. Only an issue at the intersections and on top of the hill. 6.1 easy easy miles.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning.... Nice 5K Lou, and glad the streets were better to run on...really hurts to bust your butt falling down on ice Black eye. Peter, as always nice hill work. It is funny when I check out your training log, and ALL your runs say hills. Sweet, doing nothing Mary Tongue Smile - Again, good job with your 5K yesterday. Running any race by yourself is tough, but of course you did have the Brinkster with Ya. Hey, that picture wasn't there when I read your post before, but want to say your "marathon wall" is soooo very Kewl....isn't it great that you can say and now show....you actually ran a Marathon Nice swim session SLO_HAND!!! As a Triathlete myself, I totally understand your workout...great job 1 hour of weight and core work at the Y last night for me...and un-eventfulSmile And as I woke up this morning, my foot was pain free again, kewl. Question... how the heck could that evil elliptical make my AT hurt sooo much the other day and make me badly limp, then the next day and today my foot feels fine??? Oh well, thank goodness it worked out that way, because as you could tell.......I was FREAKING OUT that I had hurt myself to the point I thought I was going to have to start over with my recovery. Starting this Sat, I will get back to my run / walk training, and still keep to two miles running for another week to be on the safe side...every other day for now. TGIF, and hope everyone has a Great Day, TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

I finally finished by marathon shadow box, etc. and we hung it all up the other night. I call it my "marathon wall", but my husband call it the "tribute to yourself". Big grin I took the best pic I could - it is a narrow hallway leading to our family room.
              Hopeful, tell your husband it doesn't become a "tribute to yourself" until you put a table underneath it and light votive candles. Big grin Sore hip today. Achy achy achy. Wasn't planning on running until this afternoon but now I'm Confused. Going to ice and see what happens. Maybe a little hot tub action later too...hmmm. Twocat , yes, please talk to my husband. We've been married 8 years and he still won't concede the "wife should feel like she's won" concept. Even on the areas where we agree I'm top dog (sorry, errr, cat). I do get good input from him often, but sometimes the delivery method! (He would say the exact same about me... Big grin).

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Peter, as always nice hill work. It is funny when I check out your training log, and ALL your runs say hills.
                Tim, I have very unconventional training. I only run on the hills in my neighborhood. It's convenient, easy and it works for me.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning every one Running is out for to me today...have a busy schedule that involves a 4 hour drive to my brother's house in Rome,GA. I got a good 10 miler in yesterday. My Ac hilles tendon was bothering me earlier in the week, but it was a strange pain that would hurt after the run, but by morning I was pain free. Last night I ran 10 and had no pain at all. This is the first time that I have ever run through an injury...I'm guessing that what I really had wasn't a tendon injury, but rather some low calf pain from last Friday's race. I was thinking of getting in a quick five at my brothers house, but Las Vegas odds have me sitting on a couch and drinking beer...there is always tomorrow.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! WRFB – glad your at sign didn't get hurt today… Smile Peter – good to see you had no after-effects from last week. Mary – I love it! Slo_Hand – nice swim workout. I wish I was a swimmer…unfortunately I’m more of a sinker…. {{{Nono’s hip}}} Timbo – my recovery had several of those types of scary “oops maybe I overdid it” moments. Glad it’s better. 22 degrees this morning, so I couldn’t resist running outside, although the couple inches of new snow over the ice layer made footing a challenge – “sand on glass” in most places, but with legs still tired from yesterday’s weights, I was in no hurry. I did find an unexpected patch of dry pavement on a hill, and so did 5 x 10 sec. hill-sprints. With complete recovery in-between walking back down, these things are deceptively easy. I could have easily done a bunch more. (Maybe the hill wasn’t steep enough.) But I heeded Perch’s and Slo_Hand’s advice and stopped with 5. With the tough footing, I still probably got more of a workout than I should have, with tomorrow being LR day. With another cold(er) front moving in today with more snow and a forecast of 2° for tomorrow morning, I expect my scheduled Wave LR will be on the TM, if I want to have any chance of keeping pace. (sigh) The schools are yet again on a 2-hour delay, and I am running through my available personal leave time at a speedy rate. At least I’m getting caught up on laundry, and I think I have time to mop the kitchen floor, too. 7 slow-and-slippery (ave pace 11:25) but pleasant miles in 22°. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning all. I was relegated to the Y this morning for weights and 3.5 miles on the Eliptical. The shin is not OK to run on right now. Sad. I did pick up The Stick last night and started using it last night and after my workout this morning. I did discover some knots in my right calf that I did not know were there. Lots of stretching and wall shin raises too. It's not as bad today but tomorrow morning's group run is not looking too good right now. Very frustrated. Was supposed to be starting my formal marathon training this week.

lamerunner

Good morning. No workout yet. Probably a long visit with the evil elliptical later. Sciatic a bit ore sore today. DD had a pretty good ski race. The High school crowd apparently does not know how to prep a race course after a storm though; she said the course in the morning was in horrible shape;she fell or nearly fell and did not finish the GS race. Slalom in the afternoon was better though; she placed second overall. Looks like another sunny moderate day... January is almost over. Twocat, I am not so sure on your fighting theory. I had heard it was not good for one party to walk out and leave things hanging.. maybe I heard wrong though. Stay healthy. I am looking forward to the next trail run in my yak traks. Happy Friday!
                        Slo

Good Morning! Slo_Hand – nice swim workout. I wish I was a swimmer…unfortunately I’m more of a sinker…. Happy Friday!
                          Holly, A little over 4 years ago I was in the same boat. 25 yds (one length) left me out of breath and fighting for my life in the last few yards. (and I was in good running shape ) With a couple of weeks of private lessons, a book and video from "Total Immersion", and a little determination I was able to get to where I could swim the front crawl one mile and feel refreshed when I was done. Swimming is a great workout. One that I recommend to all. I think it helps your running on so many levels. Better Oxygen usage, ankle flexibility by doing drills with fins, a great core work out........and you get to smell like chlorine all day !
                            Hopeful Mary-My DW has all my pictures and medals hanging up in our den...If I could figure out how to post a picture I would show you... Good runs everyone... Tim-I'm hoping you make a full recovery soon...
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mary, I like your wall! Maybe I can find room in our new addition to do something similar. I managed 6 miles at the Y yesterday, and another 4 this morning. I realized too late that I'd forgotten to put a short-sleeved shirt on underneath my Texas sweatshirt, so I ran in that! Probably sweat off a couple more pounds than usual! I don't know how literal she was being, but a Y staffer called me over and said, "Teresa, you've inspired us to start a couple of programs for runners this summer! A beginner's Couch to 5K program, plus one for 5k to 10k and one for 10k to half marathon." The funny thing is that not even 15 minutes earlier, I had asked a staffer who does a tri class if she would ever do a running class, and she had already told me about the new programs. Cool! I've been on a plateau lately, so that will be good to look forward to.
                                Mary, very nice. DW wants to do something with my stuff too, but we haven't yet. I agree with the comments about swimming. I'm trying to talk myself into making swimming one of my weekly cross-training activities (rowing being the other). I tried to get up this morning for a run. But the legs felt strangely weary so I slept in. I'm going to run after work. (Gasp! The end of the world must be at hand!) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong