Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/31/09 (Read 438 times)

I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween.  ~Author Unknown

Stumpy - Bummer about being that close to you!  I had no idea.  You ever been to Supinos?  Dang, that place was good.  Stupid portions.  I couldn't even come close to finishing mine.  We went down to Salem last night and did a bunch of people watching, then ate The Witch's Brew.  Had the Witch's Brew Steak (?).  Yum-mee.  No plans to spend time in Boston.  Will do that on another trip.

You football fanatics - what do you think of the NFL playing "across the pond?"

6 miles this a.m. through beautiful Middletown, MA.  Some really nice houses.  Stopped for a few minutes and watched a harvested corn field full of geese.  Very soothing.  Although I've felt like my legs haven't been very sproinky during any of my runs, my times haven't been bad.  Finished today's run in an hour.    Now we're being totally lazy here  in the Rhodeway Inn just outside of Boston.  The Hub is snoring up a storm, and I'm watching some stupid movie about cheating death.  It's an award winner, I tell ya.  Oscar material.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey Leslie....you're still having fun?  How much fun can you stand, anyway?   I'm so glad you and DH are enjoying yourselves and getting in some relaxation.  That's beautiful.  I'm impressed that you're getting some good runs in....kudos to you.

I think it's great the NFL plays "across the pond"  or across the border for that matter.  We've always been a country of sharing and giving to others.  I say, let othrs in foreign lands enjoy this great game too.  I raise my football watching beer glass to whoevr is watching a game today.

Went out on a beautiful fall morning and got in a nice 9er.   Back home in time to work on the clothes dryer, seal up the attic vents (neighbors fireplace chimney smoke comes right in if we don't), shower, have a burger with evryothrday and settle in for for an afternoon of football watching. 

Here's to evryone having a great day today.  May all your teams win (unless you're rooting for the Falcons).

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Heya 40's+!

Leslie, still starting us off even though you're on vacation.  That's dedication!  Glad you're having fun running in some beautiful places...running on vacation has sort of a magical feel to it.

Hey Ev, sounds like a good way for you and Evryotherday to spend some quality time together today.

Monster Triathlon Race Report

We finished our triathlon this morning, and had a great time doing it.  I still don't know our time, but I'm sure it wasn't particularly fast.  Had lots of time to get nervous before the swim with 750 of us lining up (sort of).  Nice big pool with 50 meter X 8 foot lanes, and after waiting about 45 minutes for our turn, my friend and I were able to start one right after the other.  Actually passed a few people!   Then we got held up behind a clueless couple.  They insisted on staying side by side.  While she attempted to breast stroke and side stroke, he swam along shouting encouragement whilst not letting anyone pass.  Tried the left, no good, tried the middle, and they closed ranks, but finally got by!  Other than that, our swimming fears have been laid to rest, and the swim was my favorite part of the whole thing, even though it was the part I dreaded the most.  Go figure!  

T1 was fine, and thanks to the volunteers, I didn't miss the timing mat on the way in like I tried to.  The bike leg was good, but pretty hilly and quite windy today, so a bit tougher than we anticipated. Two loops, so we knew what we were in for the 2nd time around.  Heard a high blood sugar alert from from my continuous monitor early in the bike ride, so knew I didn't need any carbs. 

Checked my blood sugar at T2, and it was way up there at 340.  Adrenaline + going anaerobic on the hills + being disconnceted from my insulin pump waiting to swim + plus the beginning of a cold = not a good combo for that, so think I need a new plan for next time.  Between that and the harder bike ride, the run pretty much sucked for me.  Back tightened up like never before, and I had to stop to strecth it and walk a fair amount.  Good news for the arch and butt though...they came through just fine.  My friend stuck with me, but I kind of wish she had gone on so I wouldn't feel bad for sucking AND holding her back.  I think it was something like 34 minutes for the run/walk we wound up doing.   It was her turn to come in ahead (long story), so I encouraged her to go ahead for the last 1/10th.  I managed to run in the last 1/2 mile or so, and raised my arms in victory crossing the finish line.  Cool finishers medal, and nice long sleeve orange and black tech shirt.  Awesome support from our husbands, who carted our extra "stuff" around, and put up with our pre-race nerves.  Mom even came to cheer us on Smile.  Would I do it again?....yep....but not right now!

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Carol very nice job. Sounds like you had a good time and learned lots so the next one will be even better. About that swim couple some people are just oblivious I guess. Great the arch and glutes came through.

Ev nice niner and still gas to do home repairs.

Oh the safeway thing as Leslie has one conveniently located on one her routes for bathroom privledges I'd have needed one about every 50 yards if I would have tried to run for the severe gastric distress l had last week along with bod ache and sore throat but was short lived thank goodness.

Don't know if you have heard of him but Jerome Robinson grew up about 8 miles down the road from us, about my sisters age. They were in 4H horse club together. Anyway he made the NFR like 8 times and now is a wheel in the PBR and owns Western Trails Rodeo stock contracting.

Leslie sounds like your having way to much fun, keep at it, nice scenic runs too!!

Howdy Kevin glad ya popped in.

Cindy keep that snow up at Breck would ya!! Weird about the blister, were those superfeet worn out by chance?

I did 11 on muddy roads to town and a little lap around town. Lynda did 8. We had an annoying cold damp head wind most of the way, not brutal, just well....... annoying. Anyway wiped us both out pretty good, didn't get to work until about 3 pm. No farm comment today,other than the weather is  dealing us fits, kinda depressing.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Oh the safeway thing as Leslie has one conveniently located on one her routes for bathroom privledges I'd have needed one about every 50 yards if I would have tried to run for the severe gastric distress l had last week along with bod ache and sore throat but was short lived thank goodness.

Gotta say it does my heart good to hear other people report these kinds of issues.

Carol - Congratulations!!    Sounds like you definitely learned a few things that will make the next one even better.  We have a triathlete on our hands!!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Quick peek in for Carol's report after being away and offline up in NH this weekend.

Way To Go Carol !!! Sounds like you did well and a had a good time! Good time for you to kick back and feel your accomplishment! Your training came together for you and you did just fine, awesome.

Catch up more in the am.

Ultrachick

Congrats Carol!!  I'd post more but it's late and I have to get up early!  'Nite!
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Good morning.....

Way to go Carol........sounds like you had a great time and you conquered your swimming fears! Great job, you prepared well.

Some great runs for everyone and Leslie sounds like she is having a nice vacation. A double bonus with the getting together with Kelly and family!

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Carol.....FANTASTIC!!  What an experience for you.  You have my admiration for expanding and testing your comfort zone.  WTG

Jim....nice run to town.  OK....now I get the Safeway disease (I guess I missed Leslies discussion about it).....thanks for splainin'.  LMD has a convenience store across the street where she ducks into from time to time.    I haven't heard of Jerome Robinson....but I bet EvOD has.  I'll ask.

Hey Jewels...

Hey to evryone else out there.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hi Kids, back at work so time to spend some time on the internet...

Carol- how do you feel today? It's a nice feeling to have that behind you and you can relax a bit. Glad that your parts held up ok. What the heck are those people thinking by blocking the swim lane?!?

Jim- nice long runs for you and the Mrs. Sounds like a little bad weather break will do you both some good. In the "better you than me" catagory, good luck keeping that pup from chewing up all your stuff! Have to "babyproof" your house!

Leslie- glad you're getting to see a lot of NE, it sure is nice,eh? Wicked nice,as they say up there.You seem to have picked a good time to see the fall foliage.It was a little delayed this year because of all the rain.I was up in New Durham NH this weekend. One of my nephews is off to Army bootcamp next week and we had a nice big party for him. Myself and 4 out of six sister's families got up there,so it was almost all of us.

Hiya Ev (how's your son's injury?) Jewels, Kelly, and everyone who's around.

Yesterday was my first rest day since Aug 7th, and my body's saying "thank you" today. Ran  a 14 mile run early Sat morning in the 38* rain up in NH. The hills up there made sure to let me know that they are for real, hence the rest day yesterday. My family is now completely certain that I have lost my mind.Oh well, no use in trying to explain.....

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - GREAT RR! So glad to hear that it all went so well, especially the swimming. Sounds like you might be hooked! I'm curious, do you have a triathlon bike, or a regular road bike? They say that having a tri bike makes the transition to running easier on the bod....?

Leslie - awesome runs for you and a great change of scenery...nice. Vacation, sightseeing, good eats, pretty runs = heaven.

Jim - cold damp headwind muddy yuck, wow, way to persist. Nothing like a run to counter depressing conditions, tho'.

Ev - not a better way to spend a Sunday! I'm a bit jealous...football season is the only time I wish I wasn't in a TV-free household. Might sneak out and catch some of the Eagles game tonight.

Hey Jewels! (waves). What'cha up to?

Joe - your family has just now figured out that yer nuts?

Got another accidental PR at Komen (I don't often run a 5K, but still...). Started out slow, I was running with the gal who had tummy issues at Surf City, and guess what ...she had tummy issues! This has happened to two different people I've run races with...maybe I'm a carrier.

Anyway, we started out easy, then wicked it up a little for the last mile. The cool thing is although that last mile still felt pretty easy, turns out we did it in 8:35. That number is significant to me, because when I started running (again) in 2006, the first thing I did was run a mile as fast as I could, which was... 8:35. Yeah, all those slow-as-molasses miles really do pay off... 

Have a great week everyone! Keep warm!

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hiya from Breckenridge everybody! Tis that time of year again already!

Fabulous Carol!! Hope you're still celebrating! So, when's your next one?

Ooohh, Joe got some real hills?!

No Jim, I don't think the Superfeet are worn out, more likely my modified stride caused a rub spot.

Don't have my computer with me just now, so keeping this short. (& however Blackberry posts it!)

Hope everyone has a terrific week!

mta:  fix Blackberry format

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

"Safeway Disease" {snork! guffaw! snork!}  Now that's a weird trend to start!

I'm pooped beyond pooped.  Up at 3:00 am EST/12:00 am PST, 7-hour plane trip home, and now it's 7:30 and I have one last cat to get inside so I can go to bed.  No workout tomorrow.  I plan on sleeping the sleep of the dead.

Nitey nite.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi there 40+ish folks!

Jim & Lynda, sounds like you guys are getting in some nice longer runs.  Sorry it's too damp to do much farming, but hopefully getting out to run helps with the stress of that a bit. 

Hey Joe, seems you were way past due for that rest day.  Nope, the family will likely never get it.  Yes, I'm kicking back a bit, but mainly due to having a cold.  Started feeling the sore throat the night before my Tri, but refused to acknowledge that anything of the sort was happening 'till afterwards.  Speaking of family not understanding, my father-in-law is convinced that "all that exercise" is what caused me to get sick, LOL!

Kelly, hope you got in a good sleep, and that your cross training is going well.

Jewels, how are YOU doing?  School, work, family, exercise?

Arla, awesome you got a PR at the Komen!  Accidental or not, your consistency in training likely makes a 5K seem like a walk in the park.  Was it a PR for your friend also?  I have a mountain bike that now has "skinny" road tires on it.  Just couldn't justify spending a lot of $$'s for a new bike given my newbie biker level.  You're right though, I'm betting my back tightening up like that was at least partially due to that...and lack of core work. 

Cindy, have fun in Breckenridge!  I cannot imagine going to work there.  How's your foot?  Not sure on the next Tri.  This one was the last one of the season this time.  I think the next one is not until March or April.  Had hoped to ramp up my running to do the Cowtown 1/2 in late Feb, but will have to see if my body cooperates.  Custom orthotics will be in in a couple of weeks, and we'll see how that goes. 

Hey Leslie, welcome back!   

Results are posted now, so here are the gory details, just in time for Haloween:

Total Time 1:40:55 -- 24/32 AG, 447/558 overall

Swim - 8:21

T1 - 4:42 (LOL, looks like I did my hair and nails!)

Bike - 52:14

T2 - 1:29

Run - 34:11

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Nice going on the 5k Arla! See,that's some measured progress for ya. Feels good when you realize how far you have come.

Cindy-have fun up in the mountains.Does that mean that the slopes are open?Are they blowing snow at night?

Rest up Leslie- I'm sure it's good for you to get home after all your traveling.Those kitties of yours probably missed you a bunch.

Carol- You did great.You must have learned a lot and now have the confidence to do better.Hope your cold improves.I imagine the "T1" and "T2" are transistion times from one sport to the other? Was that drying off time? Do you change clothes?

I found out last night that the ff's are not so good around here when summer's over. Acorns hurt like hell and when it's only 48*, me toes get cooold. Ouch!