Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.21.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.1 miles including 3.1 humid morning miles and 2 post-work TM miles)
    Stumpy (3.1 lake loop miles with windage and humidity/mist/mizzle/something else)
    Holly (7 morning miles)
    Wildchild (4 neighborhood miles with colorful aspens)
    Twocat (half gym workout with all-day computer coding)

Tet (5 dry morning 'mute miles + 5 dry afternoon 'mute miles)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 16 post-work bike miles, still in summer heat)

Mike (1 7-min pace mile +10 miles with 8 at tempo)

Evanflein (8.66 cool & damp miles with another ankle turner)

HopesMom - so sorry about your friend’s brother passing. A woman in our office has an ex-BIL who just never woke up one morning over the weekend at age 39. True - you never know.

Welcome home, KSA and Wildchild.

I hope things go well for you in CT, Stumpy.

I also hope you make your Sept. deadlines, Holly. Stress relief is good.

Good all-day focus, Twocat. Isn’t it amazing how some projects just suck us in like that? I guess soft foods are a step up from all liquids, but not quite where you want to be just yet? But you're still making good progress.

Sorry about the ongoing dryness, Tet.

Nice job of pacing the girls, Mike, and nice run after.

Evanflein, taking days off is all about trying to maintain some balance. I'm very sorry about your ankle. Does it warrant a stride analysis to ensure that nothing biomechanical is part of the cause

So, do we want to create our own virtual challenge? Here’s how and where: https://racery.com/create-virtual-races/  I think we can make it any distance/location we want, and invite anybody and everybody we want. We can make it distance-based, and not require every-day participation, so people won't necessarily do more than they want just to stay in the game. We have some high-mileage folks here who will probably be well ahead of the likes of me, but that's OK, and it could still be fun. Maybe we start it in Dec. or Jan. or Feb. to keep folks going through the winter? Who’s in, and who wants to designate a route (mebbe 200-300 miles somewhere)?

For dinner last night, DW and I made chicken with capers, anchovy and lemon, and also potato and cabbage pancakes. Sounds really weird, but the chicken had some nice tartness to it, and the pancakes had a bit of sweetness to them, and they worked quite well together. Both were NY Times recipes.

6.4 RW miles this morning in 67° dry but quite breezy weather. When I hit headwinds, it was a bit of a battle, but it was all good stuff. Today, DW and I have to head up to Portland (ME) for some early meetings, and then we are going to take a few hours to have some fun before heading back home.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Just had time for 1.8 before heading downtown (traffic pain in the butt) for a breakfast seminar.  Maybe more later.    Have a good day, y'all.

2.2 miles after work on the treadmill trying out new 361 Spire 2 shoes which seem good.   4 miles for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Thursday Jay workout - 6.4 RW in wind - enjoy Portland

had the same wind down south, so I ran into it for 2.5 and had it at my back going home (same approximate distance but different road)

GS is in xc for the first time - age 9 and went 40 seconds faster yesterday then the week before at 9:10.  His real love is hockey, but he doesn't like to be beaten, so we'll see if he gets faster.  In 2 weeks we'll drive 1.5 hours to see him run for 9 minutes.....

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and sweet year - Rosh Hashanah starts tonight

Marj

Dave59

Yesterday I was in the office but stopped at the gym on the way home for a mental health workout on the ARC trainer and weights.

Today was another "better than nothing" 3.1 mile run at the park.

** Use your imagination and insert a massive rant here about protesters and how sick I am of them all.  I had typed it up and then decided not to be political in the daily running thread.  Even though I wasn't taking sides I didn't think it was appropriate. **

coastwalker the potato and cabbage pancakes sound interesting. What else goes in them?

evanflein nice DH there! Sometimes I wish that about 2 miles from the end of my long runs someone would come and rescue me from the final climb to my house. Alas, nobody ever does. 

RunnerKSA a breakfast seminar, glad I do not have those. I hope it is on a topic you are actually interested in. Or if not, that at least the food is good!

mrrun you need holograms to come into their own! Long trip for 9 minutes.

I ran 11 this morning. Not a bad morning for it either. Tried out a somewhat new route. Actually, a few old ones patched together somewhat differently. You can "relive" it here: https://www.relive.cc/view/g14387579915. Part of the run took me along a local beach. It was apparently bird breakfast time in the parking lot. Quite nifty seeing all of them picking at various mollusks and crabs they had caught. I got a picture of one bird in the middle of its meal and it is on the relive video.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

These breakfast briefings at the law firm downtown are good.  It's employment law and the breakfast burritos make it worth the drive in town.   3rd Thursdays are known as the "burrito seminar".

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

So, do we want to create our own virtual challenge? Here’s how and where: https://racery.com/create-virtual-races/  I think we can make it any distance/location we want, and invite anybody and everybody we want. We can make it distance-based, and not require every-day participation, so people won't necessarily do more than they want just to stay in the game. We have some high-mileage folks here who will probably be well ahead of the likes of me, but that's OK, and it could still be fun. Maybe we start it in Dec. or Jan. or Feb. to keep folks going through the winter? Who’s in, and who wants to designate a route (mebbe 200-300 miles somewhere)?

The beginner's & beyond folks run a mileage game every year -- people sign up with what they expect their miles to be, then someone juggles and shuffles them all to create teams with similar total mileage.  Every posts their miles each week and the team totals are recorded.  Then there's a playoff season toward the end of the year, where teams match up head to head to crown a total champion.  There's an All-Star week (or two?) somewhere in the middle of the year, and the all-star winners give their teams a point bonus during the playoffs, or something like that.  It's been a while since I participated.

Anyway, that gives the low-mileage folks just as much chance to compete as the high-mileage folks, and fun to see how your team stacks up against the others.  The only bummer was your team getting bounced early in the playoffs, because then you were just spinning your wheels for a month or so, watching other teams play.

The B&B mileage game got huge, and runs smoothly probably because it's been going on for years.  But it wouldn't be too hard to duplicate here, I think, mostly because there aren't so many of us.

Thoughts?

I'm tracking down a thorny problem at work, doing lots of math and trying to figure out what's wrong with a peptide.  It's fascinating stuff!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

evanflein

HopesMom, that sounds like the 2017 in 2017 game. It goes on every year I guess, last year (oddly enough) was the 2016 in 2016 game. I'm on a team with Tamster and we've been bouncing around between 3rd and 5th place. I like it, but I get too competitive and let mileage goals get in the way of common sense sometimes.

Dave, I get it.

Twocat, how do you put the photos in there? I've seen them ask if I want to but I never have. And DH was apologizing for being late (I'd gone half a mile farther up the hill than I'd wanted to), but I was just happy to be in the warm truck!

Jay, I do have ankle issues. Everyone asks how my knees are (doesn't running ruin your knees??) but I usually reply my knees are fine but my ankles and feet aren't always happy. My dad had so many ankle sprains he ended up having his right ankle fused several years ago. I inherited his bad feet so hope I don't go his route with the ankles, too. I did see an orthopod years ago for it, and she gave me exercises to do that I don't do, so probably just need to get going on those. And avoid rooty trails for awhile. 

Plan is for an easy 5 miles or so this afternoon, and rest day tomorrow. Working towards my goal of 200 miles for September (see paragraph #1 above), but trying to be smart about it.

Henrun

2 miles this morning before day began.Rosh Hashonah dinner tonight.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Ooh - Long-Suffering Mrs. PBJ is planning on making tzimmes tonight.  She loves the Jewish holidays.  She says "shana tova" to all.

Last night was fizzy lifting followed by an 8 mile TM run.  intervals were 3 x 2 mile @ 8:00 per mile.  Didn't think the legs were up to it, but proved myself wrong.  This weekend is a cutback, then next weekend is the last long run (23) before the MCM.  So far, so good...

Anyone try this yet?  Good stuff.  http://www.saltyrunning.com/race-report-generator/#more-69452

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom, that sounds like the 2017 in 2017 game. It goes on every year I guess, last year (oddly enough) was the 2016 in 2016 game. I'm on a team with Tamster and we've been bouncing around between 3rd and 5th place. I like it, but I get too competitive and let mileage goals get in the way of common sense sometimes.

Yes, that's the game.  A version of it could probably be run just for Masters, if folks wanted.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hi to PBJ..........

40-min PoolRun with letters

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

You can "relive" it here: https://www.relive.cc/view/g14387579915.

twocat - neat. very neat, especially after I became a relive.com fan after watching Erika's equinox.

I wonder if my pace would get speeded up to look as fast as you and Erika if I figured out how to do one.

Thanks jay.  one mile today.

After yesterday’s ten miles in a five-mile morning/afternoon out-and-back, just a mile today in a morning-noontime half mile out-and-back allowing a drop-off/pick-up of DW’s beloved little electric Chevy Volt for a front window replacement at Golden Auto Glass. However, same as yesterday (and the prior two days before that when the three-and-a-half month summer dry spell supposedly ended), though, as both legs were dry as a bone in spite of cloudy skies threatening to rain throughout so still haven’t had a chance to find out if the summer drought spoiled me enough to spurn a lifetime of running in the rain and embrace someone’s running rule no. 1, after all. Oh well.

I once ran a virtual marathon race set up by his friends

in memory of my ultra-mentor Paul Piplani.

It had to be on an official marathon course somewhere..

Complete with t-shirts, finisher medals, race results, etc.

For an extended virtual, though, maybe, In addition to just plain ol' miles for those of us who need some additional incentive, allow picking places to run to to be able to, in addition to miles, record everybody's comparative progress in terms of "one-fourth of the way, half way, 60%).  It would be a neat substitute for doing something real, e.g. I wouldn't mind at all taking a month-or-two off and running down to Grant's Pass or somewhere in Oregon or five-or-six months up the Alcan to Erika-land.  Kind of like the section of the Shikoku Henro Pilgrimage I did in Japan two years ago.  Hey, maybe I'll run from Tokyo-to-Osaka.  I like it.

Ps dave – sorry about any disrupting protests in your neck of the woods.

After living for a year where protest are not allowed at all <<<(Singapore)>>>, I’ve willingly put up with most of the inconvenience of protests both here and also when I lived in Japan too, . . . as long as they are peaceful and nobody gets killed which, unfortunately, is too often not the case anymore, if ever.

ps tom - who's letters?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Taking a rest day

(not just because I am snowed under at work and need to work late)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes, that's the game.  A version of it could probably be run just for Masters, if folks wanted.

Does that mean we would have to immediately move it over to Facebook, like my 2017 in 2017 team did?  

7.3 miles for me today in a rather steamy 68 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."