Masters Running

Sunday 24th runs (Read 516 times)

Nice runs all! For me 7.1 miles in 28° and glorious sunshine. I mostly run solo so it was very nice to run with DW today. Enjoy your Sunday everyone!!
      Some good runs in already -- nice job for perch on that 20K yesterday -- hardware, woohoo! Bill - regarding long progression runs, there's some good information here http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c15a7298fa524698a8d55128500f01f5 which also refers to a good article here http://www.letsrun.com/2005/jkfitness.php . I am not ready to run these "by feel" yet (too much of a noobie), but I think I am getting there -- I tried to refrain from looking at the garmin for much of today's run. Workout: Target(distance) w/u(1), 9:25(3), 9:00(4), 8:35(4), 8:15-7:50(4). Actual(HR) 9:21(130), 8:48(141), 8:23(148), 7:41(157). Overall: 16.2 miles, 2:19

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PJH

First pain-free (achilles) week of running in some time. Managed to get in 40 miles with a 13-mile LR yesterday. No speed work yet. Wanted to thank tselbs, enkephalin, wildchild and bth1490 for your comments a little while ago. Lots of things happening and haven't been able to keep up with the daily posts recently. Some nice running today. Peter - nice 20 miler! Great video, Holly (and SR)! If you haven't seen the original, it's a 'must-see', including the presentations following the lecture. Have a great day! PJ
          12.5 miles easy today at an 8:55 pace and a lovely 1.5 mile walk home in the sunshine...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            I got back from Vancouver last night. Good thing for the world peace and safety that the TSA inspector "caught" the (out-in-the-open) cuticle clipper I had with me. Roll eyes It is a basically a tiny scissor that I use to cut strips of first aid tape that I wrap around a few toe nails to stop them from turning black when I run. I called my DW to gripe about losing it and she surprised me with a new one sitting on the bathroom sink when I arrived home at 12:30am! Just as Soundrunner promised Vancouver is a wonder city for running in. They have a trail that runs pretty much along the whole waterfront. It is very impressive with separate lanes for pedestrians and bicycles. Thursday was a beautiful sunny day and I was so enamoured with being able to run along such a great route I extended my planned 15 mile run to19.44. Part of the run was in Stanley Park which I returned to for a somewhat shorter run yesterday. I forgot to bring along my MP3 player which turned out to be all to the good. The sounds of the park are worth at least a single hearing. Part of the run goes by a harbour within which were floating a flock of little ducks. I have no idea what kind, they are not that big, black and white, and have rather small beaks. The more interesting thing is that they squeak. It sounded like an armada of live yellow rubber duckies! Today was a 7.05 mile run with DW. Cold and clear here in CT. A nice run though. Congratulations jules2 on your race. It is always nice to beat whatever time you had hoped to get! tselbs enjoy your cruise! In the meantime I will certainly miss you daily roundups! Nothing like getting those long runs done! Good work breger1 and PeterNC.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Some great runs out there. I went out two hours and did 30 minutes of hill repeats. Ugh felt like a slug..hope it's still my chest cold and not my current form, which I thought a few weeks ago was great. While I had an ugly experience with a crazy driver today. I was comind down a hill facing traffic on a quiet road when I car was approaching me at full speed. I have learnt from experience to be weary so I was on my guard. As the car came closer he sped up and start pushing closer to me. I had nowhere to go other take a chance and take the slippery muddy bank. I decided not to as this can be even more dangerous when a car is coming at you. Well at the last minute he decided just to brush me. The mirror just missed cliping me but my fist found his rooftop hard (yep I do have a temper and crazy drivers do it everytime. I turned around thinking the driver might stop and we could chat but he hightailed it. Lucky for him. I continued my hill repeats and came home. Had a great great time last night at the beach party...hut tub was divine as were the strawberry daiquiris. Just wished I could stayed over for the whole party and with my lady friend but our weekends still do not coincide as my ex wife does not want me to have this liberty. Lawyers are working it. It could be worse. Take care my friends Tall Fist is a little sore...but that car top must be aching right now (-:

Recent Best times: None recently

bap

4.25 miles at 9:45 pace. 3.6 of it in packed snow. Beautiful sunny day in NYC.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

Manchild

Tall: Damn, I've had a few close calls myself but never thought of "fighting" back, nice job! Nice race Jules! Tselbs, I am so envious as my daughter is presently on a cruise as well! Enjoy! Holly and Ribs thanks for the link to stumbleupon.com, I so enjoyed the speech by Randy Pausch, a real tear jerker. Well my legs were dead today and whining for a break but I went out anyway. 4.8 miles in 43:29 for a 9:04 pace. I treated this as a recovery run as my first mile was 10:00 on the nose. The thermometer said 34 degrees but that sun was warm! Have a great day! and run! Chris
                    Yay Perch! Your reports have been so speedy, I'm not surprised, but most delighted at your race results! Geez, Paraguay, Caribbean cruise, Strawberry daiquiris in the hot tub, Florida vacation, VAncouver....and Baltimore! What a group! Tim, my shin splint is improving, but not gone yet. These things hang on like slugs! Glad to hear the AH is healing, PJH. After 11 slow miles yesterday, got in 6 decent ones today--first one was 9:15, last one 8:17 but the middle 4 were sub 8s for a 48:38 overall. It is 52 here today! grins, A Manny showed up for spring training on time in his white Cadillac. I love spring training.
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      5 miles of slow & easy, didn't want to push it. Didn't feel too bad, still a little weak but almost there. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Big grin I only get sick about once every 5 years, so when I do I don't deal with it very good. Also so tired of winter it's so hard to keep going. I think runningahead makes the difference. Big grin jules good job out there! Bill great workout, you had better wash that headband Clowning around Great week everyone

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

12 miles in about 2 hours. Longest run in a long time for me. I am pretty happy with my effort but a llittle leg weary now. Thats a good week back for me and am a little more confident that my foot problems are behind me for now anyway. Lots of great long runs out there today. Lots of vacations also

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

btb1490

JJJ, SteveP, evanflein, Holly- thanks for the nice comments! Smile evanflein- don't worry, you didn't miss the roundup. I make sure to go back and read what I missed. You ROCKED your run yesterday! Craneium- way to rebound after a lousy gym experience earlier. evryday- way to pick it up at the end of your long run yesterday! Was some of that wildlife chasing you? jules- nice return to racing! That's an awesome time! Beating your goal time by that much is a nice surprise. TomS- enjoy your well deserved time in the warm sun! We'll need a full report! breger- it sounds like you'll have to redefine what MP is for you. stumpy- if you're gonna wipe out, it might as well be in the snow! Sounds like it was a fun run. Jeanne- I hope your outdoor streak continues after you get back from your trip. Have a great time. Mary- is your leg still bothering you? Is that why uphills were out? I hope you find some flat routes in San Fran to run then. perch- wow, that was some recovery run after an awesome race! PeterNC- after that run, I'll say your ready for your marathon! Well done. Ribs- I hope your trip lets you rest those feet. Holly- those "glad to get it done" runs are tough. But sickness, cold weather, house stuff, falls in the driveway... even with all that stuff, you always get it done! Mariposai- "mariposai.... mariposai... where are you???" That was the 13 miler calling you. What was your answer? Tim- I didn't know you were having problems. Good deal cutting back on the speed. Keep us posted. Tramps- I love all the details of your runs! Wink munchkn- that's what running is all about. Smile PDR- I'm sure Tom is just as jealous of you having all that beer on hand! What's for dinner? WRFB- I guess entertaining doesn't wear you out at all! Nice run! PJH- good to have you post again, and even better to have it be such a positive one! lyndenrunner- you deserved that easy day after yesterday. And every run should end with a nice walk. Twocat- welcome back! Glad you had a great trip! Tallrunner- what was up with that driver? Not what you needed after your excellent evening. Oh and nice run! bap- how are you feeling? charleygross- sometimes a recovery run is better than doing nothing. Let's see how you feel tomorrow. Aamos- a friend of mine was in Rapid City this weekend, and she was commenting on how nice the weather was. Nice speedy run today, but watch those shins please. Sarge- glad to hear you're starting to rebound finally! halllar- weary legs are a good thing! Much better than a bum foot! Knocking wood that things continue this way. dtoce- The question is... "How many donuts are in a dozen?" Did I win? 8 miles for me today, with some tempo miles in the middle. Like Sarge, it feels like the crud is finally going away. Bright blue skies, windy and chilly. All good. This is the last weekend of February! Yay! Hope it was a great weekend for all!
                              Hi masters, Did 17 miles of horse trail and neighbouring hilly subvision (11:13 pace). I got lost in the subdivision but made it back to the trails somehow. Everything felt great, much to my surprise and delight. Even threw in one 0.6 mile near the end at 8:31 pace. My elevation on the Garmin said 4,500 ft for this run. I typically assume it is really half of that, about 2,250 ft climbed (based on course maps that say for example 700 ft, and my Garmin will register double that). I like hills. Well, there is a first time for everything, and today I was chased by a horse. The part that wasn't scary was fun. Smile Tall - wow, scary. PJ, glad to see you on the mend Twocat - were the ducks grebes? they are kind of cute.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

GreenMan

Tom, Have a blast on the cruise, Nice run Enke. The rest as been good, though a head cold is not a pleasant way to spend it. I'll get some miles in next week. 20 min @ the gym, mostly elliptical. jjj
                                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.