Masters Running

Wilting away Wednesday, May 26 Daily (Read 622 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!!

Actually today was a little (very little) less humid.   The bugs are certianly out in large mass, so I find it better to keep moving, no matter what!  Out for 3 untimed miles this morning.  My garmin was dead and even though I knew that, I would keep checking my wrist.    Brinkley took me through 2 critter fartleks.   The first one being our nemisis Mr. Black Cat who just laid on the side of the road taunting him.   Then an opposum decided to cross the road as we were coming towards it.  

Happy Hump Day!!    Off to drive my scooter to work!  Smile

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

3 easy miles this morning.  Cottonwood trees are a bigger problem than bugs around here.  Luckily the wind wasn't blowing today.  I'll have to get some pictures of cottonwood "drifts" once it really lets loose.  It could be a record year for the white stuff based on how everything else has grown this year so far.

Morning Mary, Dave and all to follow. Wish I had a scooter to drive to work. We're due for a break in the H&H Mary - thunderstorms predicted here this afternoon and evening and cooler temps for the holiday weekend. I'm not really complaining about the heat, people, I'm just not used to it yet. And it came on like a ton of bricks! I remember winter, believe me.

Cottonwoods surround my house, Dave. I hate those suckers!! The fuzz gets caught in our screens and in the blades of our lawnmower. Some years our lawn is so white from them that it looks like snow. Gee, I sound kind of crabby this morning, don't I?  Sorry...

Nice to see posts from Larry, Leslie and all of the other RA people who sound like they're working much too hard.

Sue - sorry to hear everything's not right yet. I hope the PT can help you. Keep posting though, okay?

Everyone ready for Bayshore? Steve? Bill? Who else is running this weekend?

3 miles on the eliptical this morning, 40 minutes of weights and stability ball stuff. I picked up Higdon's book yesterday and can't decide between the Novice 2 or Intermediate 1. They seem pretty similar except one has two 20-mile runs, and the other only one. Any words of wisdom, all of you wise marathon people?

Dave- the cottonwood is out of control here. Running or riding I am constantly having to wipe my face as sometimes it is close to whiteout conditions. I will take that over the other white stuff any day.

For those who have been talking about bicycle commuting. I have a couple of different strategies. Sometimes I will bring clothes in ahead of time if I am driving and just stash them neatly in a file cabinet or desk drawer. Other ties I take clothes in a backpack. I have a couple advantages though. I am a PE teacher, which means my work clothes consist of a t-shirt and shorts most days. I also have a shower at work, so unlike fatozzig, I don't have to worry about sweaty panty hose. DW sometimes commutes by bike. She is more wrinkle conscious than I am; she keeps an iron and ironing board stashed in her office.

So far just a bike commute today. Planning to run 7 after today's faculty meeting. Seems like this would be a good night for a trail run. Thanks to everyone for their kind words on my race report. Have a great day.

...good mornin'...........bumping 90s again on The Plateau.....

.definitely V-8 Weather........

..........2 hrs hiking in a few,

hopefully poolrunning tomorrow........

.......................good running guys..................

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wheeeee..... what a great way to start the day.....other than my run.  Big grin    We got to work so early, that we tooled around the industrial park for another 10 minutes before parking our scooters.    I'm happy that I wore a jacket though, as the air is cooler at 40 mph.

Dave, I remember Doug complaining a lot about Cottonwood too.  We don't seem to have any of those, just lots of mosquitos.

JLynne - I vote for the Intermidiate 1 program (that is the one with 2-20 milers, right?)   Nice work out this morning.

Have fun on your trail run Cranium, and you have fun hiking Tom.

I did start doing some core work yesterday too....crunches, reverse crunches and pushups.

Is Bayshore Saturday or  Sunday?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Looks like I won't be bringing up a new subject today. I took the morning off from working out to just sit on my patio drinking coffee and reading the paper -- something that is almost never possible at 7AM here in May (and last year not even in July!). But within a few minutes I felt like I was in a snowstorm since my neighbor's cottonwood tree decided to really let loose. Yes, Dave, I think it will be unusually abundant this year based on the huge quantity of helicopter seeds that our maple tree has already shed. But at least we haven't seen any mosquitoes yet -- sat out in the gloaming last evening with no problems.

Mary - Stay safe on that scooter! Whenever I see one, it brings back fond memories of my motorcycling days, but I also relive that when I'm bicycling. How about posting a pic?

Tom - Nice job on doing 12 miles in that HHH yesterday. Was there a particular reason you went long on a day like that? Training for a HM maybe?

As I mentioned above, nothing going on this morning except that I have to go out and find a deal on a new refrigerator. Maybe I'll take a bike out this afternoon, although it will be upper 80s. I sure hope this breaks in time for the Bayshore folks, although it should be a little cooler to the north there.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

jtv

No cottonwoods to worry about here at the jersey shore, but critters yes - greenheads, gnats and mosquitos.  So far only the gnats have been out in force.  Oh yeah, and the shoobies that will be arriving this weekend for the summer.

Good luck to all those running Bayshore this weekend.  It's been on my list for several years, but I have yet to make it back to my home state for it.  May have something to do DW.  She is always complaining that our only "vacations" are to MI to see family (we will be there in July for a family reunion).  Not sure if I can talk her into going there for a race also!

5 miles in 44:59 this am, including 3 tempo miles in 7:02, 7:20, 7:30.  Not sure if I like doing this "speedwork" thing again.  My PF, piriformis, hamstring, and ITB we all complaining by the end.  At least it was on each side, so they balanced each other out!

Enjoy your day everyone.

Mariposai

Good job Brinkley for taking your mama out of a  2 critter fartleks

jtv, what is up with the ouchie? Be careful with the speedy workouts and recent ouchies.

6 miles with 4x2light pole fartleks for my wings.

Yeh, who else is running Bayshore this weekend?

Go Byll gooooo!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – two 20-milers will better prepare you, if you can fit it into your schedule.

7.25 easy-paced miles (ave 10:12) for me today in 61° and 74%.

I carry a soft cloth with me when I run in warmer weather (anything warmer than 50°) to wipe the sweat off my face.  These cloths are actually cloth diapers left over from 13yo DS.  They've gotten a lot of use over the years. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning!

hi Nancy Smile     Besides Byllger, SteveP, MarkGuy, & Mustang Sally are all running.   DAAve & family will be there, & as long as I'm there I'll run about 6 miles at a leisurely pace.     

jtv, where in Michigan?    Like Nancy said, what's with the owies?   if you read someone else post what you just did, what would you tell them???  

Mary I'm so glad you had fun riding to work!      Bayshore is Saturday. 

And speaking of Bayshore, ok DaveDan & Larry sometime soon..   TomS, how about you? 

Larry, it's good to hear from you.   I'm sorry you've had so many problems. 

tw 2 hrs. hiking in 90ish temps?    ohboy ohboy.

Leslie of course we missed you!!!    

what'd you bring us?  

more catch up to do but I have to catch up at work too.    I did go to the gym, 21:34 (I get a medal for that) on the elliptical... stopped As Soon As it started to hurt how about that?   Smile     Then I added in a few things I haven't done in a couple of months, hopefully it won't backfire!  I don't always know until later.  I did 2 sets of stab. ball hammie curls, well, those I've done a couple of times.   then russian twists.. I've really missed those for some reason, backlifts (yay), knee extensions & arm presses on the weight machines, very light weight and only a few. 

mrrun

For those who have been talking about bicycle commuting. I have a couple of different strategies. Sometimes I will bring clothes in ahead of time if I am driving and just stash them neatly in a file cabinet or desk drawer. Other ties I take clothes in a backpack. I have a couple advantages though. I am a PE teacher, which means my work clothes consist of a t-shirt and shorts most days. I also have a shower at work, so unlike fatozzig, I don't have to worry about sweaty panty hose. DW sometimes commutes by bike. She is more wrinkle conscious than I am; she keeps an iron and ironing board stashed in her office.

Hi, Been swamped at work, so haven't been able to follow much.  I bring my clothes on my pannier daily and change at work.  altho i have a shower, i bike in slowly so it's not a problem.  I see folks biking in their work clothes, but i'm not comfortable doing that. 

Ran 3 hilly miles at 5 am - already humid -  followed by the 5 mile commute.  Henrun just finished 5+ really, sweaty miles by the water, thinking it would be cooler, but it wasn't.

have fun all,  marj

jtv

jtv, where in Michigan?   

DG - I grew up in the Detroit area (Westland), went to MSU and have been in NJ ever since.  Reunion will be at my Dad's place in Algonac.  Tell dAAve and MarkGuy I said hello.  I haven't heard much from them since we all did Detroit back in '06

Kimmie

Good morning you guys!

sounds like we're all dealing with a little bit of a heat wave.  It was 77 when I went out to run.  Ended up with 6.2 sluggish miles, but it's done.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi all,

Jlynne, let me second 2 - 20 miles instead of one....the first one will be pretty tough, then the second one should / and is normally easier and gives Ya more confidence. I believe this is for both the physical aspect, and the mental one......can't wait to follow your training and progress 

Boy, did I have the cruddiest run last night. Only 5 miles, but I had to stop and walk multiple times as my legs felt like logs, and my HR was super high. It was really hot when I ran, but really it was because of my 26 miler last Sat and bonking...takes a while to recover from that once DOMS sets in. So hopefully tonight will be better, or I may get a little frustrated with a race coming up.................. this is taper (so shut up Tim)

(rant on) Stoopid job meeting was really nice.............not. He said after crunching some number he could only pay me X amount of $ for my salary ($10,000.00 less).............but he wants me real bad and practically begs, and I understand the economy and His own numbers are down. But He said the biggest problem is His Daughter who has worked at this shop for 18 years, and She said it would not be fair for me to make more money than Her........well Miss Smarty Pants...............do MY job that I am being pursued to do, if you want more money (rant off)

Oh well, I still have my job - that I don't have to work - but I still get paid  (I need to write a book)

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!