Masters Running

Saturday 2/9/19 (Read 42 times)

SteveP

Sorry Kids, lost the page on round one. A lot of self imagined brilliance was lost for eternity.

Coastwalker gets us rolling with an EZ 6.4.

RunnerKSA keeps it indoors for four.

Tetsujin checks in early/late for snowman cross training.

Bioguy gets back some mojo and an apology from a driver. A cherished gem indeed!!! The man with class hopes to take in milage after class.

Henrun gets a sunny 3.2.

Tramps cycles in for 22 miles. I wonder how George Washington will be viewed 50 years from now.

Dave59 hits it with shirts and shorts for 3.06 miles.

Fatozzig has a rough night but steps up her recovery. I'm find your progress heartwarming.

C-R pauses his ark building for 5K on the treadmill. I hope you get over the illness without having to play too much catch-up with your goals.

Danff gets a half a mile yaking the trax. She stretches into fitness.

MikeE pops in with an observation then knocks out ten on the treadmill.

Tom White claims a rest day during my version of nice February temperatures.

Joe618 endures work through illness.Get well soon.

Surly Bill observes apocalyptic grocery stockpiling in Michigan's version of pleasant spring weather. Sometimes I give our vehicles cute little pet names while working on them. None of those names are repeatable in polite company.

Rochrunner mulls around the mall for 4 miles.

Wildchild treks through the snow for an incredible 7.8 miles. Blazing your own trail through virgin snow is work. I hope I would not run that section alone.

Evanflein sticks to the path for a plowed 4.

TwoCat beats his head against the wall as cross training. Some days.

Flaconfixer fights the bugs and still puts in three miles.

Mariposai pops in with her run on the mill 6 with a side dish of cross training.

I got all the gear on and stepped out the front door. Then turned around and got dressed for the treadmill. 4.5 sweaty miles.Once again our company had a lot of weather related absences. As of Friday, I'm the only person who works outside who hasn't called in. I'm not reel smart but I kan lift hevy things. The outdoor temp was 8 degrees F with a windchill of -18. I was hoping for a clean up day. However, when my coworkers have clean up days as well, I often get crisisies when the make discoveries. I showed a new guy how to handle a product. When he delivered it, the customer said they had never seen anyone take such care of their stuff. Finally! I hope the pride our man felt at the time turns into motivation. A one degree boost in temperature can change hot water to boiling.

We still had blizzard conditions when we got home and I put 2 more on the hamster wheel.

SteveP

mrrun

Morning all - copied to steve's witty start!

No recap - I leave that to the witty.  just starting so the early lurkers have a place to put their thoughts and activities.

yesterday was spent with 7 friends from our Brookline Temple.  We met in Palmetto for a day of swimming, kayaking, eating and drinking.  today we move to a beach near St. Petersburg, so no running/race walking.  however, we're starting off with the farmer's market and art show.

welome Dawn!

have a greta day everyone!

marj

Poem from NPR that made me laugh - Are you in the Mood?

I am.
      Let's put the kids down.
      Have a light dinner.
      Shower.
      Maybe not drink so much.
      And do that thing I would rather do with you than with anyone else.
      Lie in bed and look at our iPhones.

...marj// .........................and Just in time for Valentines' Day.........

============

here is what it's Colder Than in Tennessee-

Doodley Squat

================

...40-min PoolRun/shoes no belt....

..........hopefully we can get twocat fixed before he has to goto meetings.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BaC95O37Os

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sometimes I give our vehicles cute little pet names while working on them. None of those names are repeatable in polite company.

We might be related.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Nice-looking day here -- I just hope it holds until tomorrow morning when I go for a run out at the lake. Walked about 4 miles with DW at the same mall as yesterday, except that they were having some sort of benefit walking event and it was mobbed! Fortunately the event seemed to be from 8 to 9 and we only had to contend with the "traffic" on our first lap.

Looking forward to an actual outdoor run tomorrow AM...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Joe618

Morning, all!   Steve, thanks again for the recap.   Yu kan lift stuf gud and talk gud two. 

Wild, what a terrific photo of that mountain lion!  Wow!   And 54K made me laugh out loud too, Dave!

Joe, sorry about the cold--hope it clears quickly!  As for Antietam, the two things that always stick in my mind are Burnside's Bridge and the Bloody Lane (lot of those on Civil War battlefields).  McClellan had a copy of Lee's dispositions but didn't trust that they were true/accurate (they were) and he always believed he was outnumbered.  If Burnside had turned the flank (he had a massive manpower advantage going against about 500 Georgians who were quite well hidden in the hills you described) the war in the east could have ended much sooner.  Those Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields are quite compact.  I need to go on a bike tour to Normandy, Holland, Waterloo, and so many others.

Falcon, yes, both those areas impressed us.   We walked down "Bloody Creek" and it was almost overwhelming to think what that carnage must have been like in the moment.    And, yes, how many battles of that era failed on the element of luck or not knowing that, say, a flanking maneuver would have won the day, rather than hunkering down under withering cross-fire.    It was a very sobering day. 

I did see that the Freedom Run goes through that battlefield.   Made a mental note to do that.   I ran the Chicamauga Marathon at that Civil War battlefield just south of Chattanooga a few years ago.    Similarly moving. 

The head cold cleared a bit overnight.   Hope to finish up our taxes here late this morning then get outside for 6-7 miles.   Chilly here at 14F but almost no wind and sunny. 

Have a greta weekend, all. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

There IS a lot of sickness going 'round in here and at our office.  So far I have been able to stay away from it *knocks on every piece of available wood*

Steve - It's amazing how much better one can feel about oneself when provided praise for a job well done.

Beautiful kitty, Wildchild.

It was pouring when I got up this a.m., so I settled for PT exercises for now and will hopefully get in a walk when I get home from work this afternoon.

Rant On

Yes, I'm at work.  On a Saturday.  It's starting again. It's my choice, but without coming in on the weekend, I don't know how we're going to get things figured out.  Yesterday was our dept secretary's last day.  I'm still trying to process how someone can (1) give notice then barely work the rest of the time and (2) leave such a disaster behind.  Left a bunch of personal stuff in her desk drawers, including her notary books which the office will now have to deal with, and literally left an absolute disaster in her office that I started working about 4:30 yesterday.  My goal is to get files labeled and appropriately opened and in boxes, then put a list on the boxes of who, what, when.  We can then start chipping away at it and get some semblance of order.  Can't even think about bringing in a new secretary until it's organized.

My boss walked into her cubby yesterday when I was in there and said, "One thing at a time."  He knows I've struggled to keep a lid on myself over this.  . . . . but this too shall pass and things will get organized, we'll get a more appropriate person in the position, and this dept will finally have its wings . . .

Rant Off

Okay - Off to organize . . . and drink more coffee and eat a bagel w/cream cheese.  The other day I was thinking how absurd it is there was a point in my adult life where I didn't like coffee or bagels w/cream cheese.

Image result for we can only do what we can do then we can do no more

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks Steve (and Marj). Sorry about the blizzard conditions. And I hope the new guy sticks.

Sounds like tough duty, Marj - enjoy it while it lasts.

I used to do doodley squats, Tomwhite, but never saw any benefit, so I stopped.

Sorry you nearly got malled, Roch.

Glad you're feeling better, Joe. But won't working on your taxes get you all fogged up again?

Sorry about the need for the rant, Fatozzig. Just keep thinking that you'll all be so much better off with another better secretary.

My grandmother was named Bessie, which is why our vehicles weren't. My father used some cute little pet names like Steve's every once in a while.

Kudos to the driver who returned to apologize, Bioguy, but what a shame (and a scare) that there was any need for that.

Kelvin - wasn't that the Chipmunk that got yelled at all the time??

We often get some fairly strong winds from the west. But I never heard, or felt, it slamming against the house like it did last night. I was very surprised not to see any trees down when I ventured out this morning.

We had racewalking training at our indoor track this morning so, thankfully, I didn't have to battle those winds. And, whereas I usually see some runners out training on my way up to the track, there was no one this morning. I got 4 EZ RW miles done on the track before the crew arrived, and then did another 1.25 with them. I was going to do more, but I got a cut on the bottom of my big toe (have no idea how), which hurt with every stride, even after I bandaided it. So 5.25 total.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

excellent six hours of X-T last evening and finishing up this morning to add a PR 12 more Frosties to the one each from Sunday and Monday. Just in time as, with below freezing temps for another week, snow’s too dry now.

Not that I ever need an excuse to go skiing but, after being blessed with another ten inches of snow last night, getting ready to x-c ski across the I-90 floating bridges to the Lunar New Year lion dances in Chinatown, . . . but probably will be postponed.

ps wildchild - sorry what I said about trail cameras.

ps everybody but Surely, Quick, etc. - I hope it didn't come across as being too smug during our spring like January while everyone else was dealing with winter vortexes, etc.

Image result for seattle snow images

Image result for seattle snow images

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Carolyn--neat photo!

Joe--lots of history-related runs here too, including the oddly titled "Stonewall Jackson 20-mile Ambulance Run" that follows, in part, the route taken to a house used as a hospital after Jackson was accidentally shot by his own troops. Because of its place on the calendar, it's often used by locals as a long training run for either Richmond or the Marine Corps marathon.

Most popular car names (and a little context.) Who knew?

It's on the internet, so it must be true.

After unseasonably warm temps this week, today's chilly 20s temps with a stiff wind felt colder than usual. You'd think it was February or something. I cut my little 5K run short because that stoopid blister I had on my achilles started heating up again after some moleskin came off. Ironically, I never got blisters running but now I've gotten a couple of them trying to walk fast. What's up with that?

Hope all you PNW folks are comfortably hunkered down. Enjoy the snow while it lasts.

And wishes for quick recovery to all the cold/flu sufferers.

ETA: Ha! Tet posted as I was writing. That's the spirit!

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I ran 2 this morning on real streets instead of at the park.  I only do that on weekends when it is early.  The roads are narrow with some blind spots so I don't feel safe when cars are out.  Only one car went by while I was out.  Just the way I like it.

Then coffee with some friends.

Then a haircut at the mall.

I stopped in Old Navy while at the mall.  There was a medium weight coat for sale.  It was marked way down to $18.  There was just one of them and it was my size.  So I took it to the checkout and asked what kind of scam they were running.  They pretended that nothing was wrong with the coat, so I bought it.  Not that I needed another coat, but it was really nice and at that price I felt obligated.

Then I stopped at the grocery store.

Then I came home and had lunch.

Now I am sitting here typing this forum post.  And I am going to click Post.

spacityrunner

Yep...summer left us and we are back to winter.  4 frosty miles this morning with friends.  20's with a windchill in the teens...then went to a local spot and had a cinnamon roll.  They are the best.

Trails Rock!

Good morning, Masters.  I spent some time debating with myself about whether I was going outside to run in 21 degrees (feel of 15) with a wind.  I would have been pretty sheltered on the path, and the thought of a longish run on the treadmill wasn't appealing, but in the end wisdom prevailed.  I have a little bit of a cough and there's the whole face-peeling thing, so the treadmill it was.   Watched a 2 hour 48 hours and got 8 miles in of my hoped for 7 but realistically expected 6 tops.  So- yay, me!      I was impressed once again how 48 hours manages to stretch a 45 minute show into 2 hours -  lots of repetition. It was interesting, though- about the California death row inmate who has been on death row since the 80s and is most likely innocent.  Gov. Brown just now (at Christmas) issued an order for new DNA testing.

We have a Vandy game tonight, which most likely will not go well.  Alabama is doing well.   Sad, sad day yesterday for Vandy nation-  Beloved Vice Chancellor/Athletic Director David Williams retired last week and dropped dead yesterday.  His retirement party was supposed to be last night.  He was 71 and, while we can't say we are surprised given his health issues (heart, weight), it was still a shock.  He wouldn't mind us chuckling just a bit through our grief-  he collapsed at the Pancake Pantry restaurant, which is a very Vandy thing.  He was a great man and educator and a leader in the SEC and the African American community.  I was fortunate to meet him and speak with him on several occasions.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave - 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, took another shot at my personal method of fighting off colds....overdressed for the weather and went 6.5 miles at the best pace I could manage.  Turned out to be around 9:30.  But....I did a decent job of clearing my nasal sinuses, less successful with the chest congestion (which isn't horrible but sure ain't great).  Will probably not head home this weekend.  Winter has returned here as well....but that's a good thing.  Temps here right now...50 (deg F) with some wind.  Got into the 30s last night.

Steve, don't worry--I'm convinced that all lost posts (with all concurrent brilliance) are somewhere in the cloud and will be found.....as soon as the person is nominated for some kind of office!

mrrun, sounds like a great trip so far!

Tom, indoor pools are awesome this time of year. (apologies for stating the obvious)

Surely (and Steve), I've heard some interesting names for aircraft as my folks have worked on them....

Roch, had not heard of benefit walks in malls....but it makes perfect sense.  Nice walk with DW.

Joe, Chickamauga was my first marathon (was living in Athens, GA at the time).  Chattanooga club does a great job with it.  First time marathoners get a special colored number (mine was a red 60).  When you finish the announcer gives a "finishing his/her first marathon..."   In addition to your finishers medal you get a copy of your bib, framed.  Really nice touch.  Hope you have a good (and healthy) run.

fatozzig, understand the rant.  Suspect it will get worse as you go through the files in her area.  This too shall pass.  Hope you are able to get in your walk after work.

coast, hope the cut is nothing...that's always a tough place to get one.

Tet, I suspect the festival will be postponed.  That seems like a LOT of snow for y'all.

Tramps, I had not heard of that run (the Jackson ambulance).  Sounds like it would be right up my alley.  I'm with you on walking vs. running.  When the Air Force was using a 3 mile walk as the PT test I would get the worst shin splints along with hot spots on my heels.  You have to do it like race walking and you really do have to train for that (as Jay demonstrates).  Hope it warms up for you soon.

Dave, nice deal on the coat.  Nice work on the run.

Spa, (in Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmmm, cinnamon rolls.  Nice job earning it.

RunnerKSA, wise move on the TM.  Sorry to hear about the VC/AD.

Have a greta day everyone!