Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run (w/e 07/25/09) (Read 359 times)

"Don't ask what the world needs.  Ask what makes you come alive and go do it.  Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." (Howard Thurman )

Karen and I did 6.7 recovery miles on the trails yesterday.  We went a tad slow for me, but that's what Karen wanted to run, so that's okay.

Last year at a fundraiser for the local community college football team, The Hub purchased a full dinner and wine tasting at a local winery out in Willow Creek.  About 18 of us went out there yesterday, and OMG!   There was so much food!  Appetizers, full on dinner, dessert (THE best 4-layer chocolate cake I have ever had the pleasure of stuffing in my piehole).  Cripes, I haven't eaten that much in ages.  Lots and lots of water 'cause it was hot.  I don't think as much wine was drank as was anticipated, but it was just too hot.  It was a great time, though, and we just got home about an hour ago.  I'd have to run like 50 miles tomorrow to make up for what I ate.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--Sounds like a blast.  I do believe that food eaten during charitable pursuits has little or no caloric value   And almost 7 miles at any speed is nothing to sneeze at.

I made it out for a mostly run 5.5 mile loop.  Unfortunately it was at 8:30 and temps already over 70.  first time this summer at the temp and definitely not acclimated.  But distance is distance and every little bit counts.

Happy sunday all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - Thanks!  I never looked at charitable eating that way.  You've given me a whole new perspective.

Went out for 5 over-eating recovery miles.  I think I burned maybe half of that piece of chocolate cake I devoured.

Hope your Sunday goes great -

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks for getting us going Leslie and sounds like you had a good time. The food sounds yummy, with a capital YUM!

Stumpy, your darn right every bit counts. Nice 5.5 for you in the warmth!

Just a quick check-in.........

Enjoy what is left of your Sunday and have a great week everyone.

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Hi All,

Nice cake Leslie and love the "pie hole" reference.

Good going Stumpy in the heat. At least we didn't have much humidity this weekend.

Hi Jewels and all others....

Nuther big mileage weekend  for me, kind of getting jiggy with this empty nest stuff....

10 miles Fri night with 6m of it medium tempo. 5m  Buddy run on Sat.(x-trained mowing). Today was 3m Buddy run (too hot for him), then 13m solo run ,followed by 20m bike ride. Looking forward to sitting on my butt all day at work tomorrow.   

Hi folks -- I kinda want awol towards the end of the week, and missed catching up w/ you.

Leslie, I'm thinking you pre-burned a few calories last weekend.  Glad you got to enjoy that dinner.

Stumpy, I hear you on the hot weather.  Covering the distance is where it's at, and you did!

Hiya Jewels!

Hi to everyone else.  Hope to keep up with you a little better this week, at least the beginning.  Heading to Nashville for a mini-vacation at the end of the week.  Why Nashville?  Because we've never been there and the flights aren't full so we can probably get there/home Smile.  Worked out every day except Thurs this week.  10.5 miles on my mtn bike this morning before church, 5.5 mile run/walk/coffee w/ my friend yesterday (outdoors - yay..only got up in the 90's yesterday), elliptical-weights-swim Friday, treadmill run Wed, etc.  Well, you get the picture....cross training is where it's at for me these days and my body seems to be liking it pretty well. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Rest day for me - sort of.  Was going to "pull a few weeds" and ended up clearing out an entire flower bed that looked like total carp.  What should've only been about an hour of work ended up being like 4 hours or more while The Hub smoked ribs for 6 hours and he and his sis and BIL recovered from last night.  I worked out my recovery in the flower bed.

I tell ya, since our family showed up Friday, we have done nothing but EAT.  Good grief!  The dinner and wine tasting event Saturday; chicken, salad, bread, and something else (?) last night; and today smoked ribs, roasted asparagus,  and homemade potato salad tonight.  And that's just the dinners!  I'm afraid to get on the scales for at least two weeks.  This hasn't helped in my objective to get rid of my belly fat, but I had already decided this weekend was my last harrah for awhile. Thankfully!

Carol - Hope your Nashville trip is going well.  Someday I will actually get there.

Joe - Nice runs w/and w/out Buddy.  We haven't heard from him in  awhile.  Give him some good scratches for us.

Hey {waving wildly} to everyone else!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - dammit, you're making me hungry! I really try not to do the late-night snacking thing! Hope you're enjoying your family as much as you're enjoying the eating

Jewels - we'll always be here to kick ya in the butt. 

Joe - the long, consistent weeks are really paying off, aren't they? You've been sticking to it and keeping healthy, way to go!

Stumpy - try to get out when the sun's not on ya. I swear by it, seriously, I prefer 95 - 100 (tonight's run, felt just fine) vs. 73 and sunny (Wed. am run, had to bag it early).  Let me know what you think if you try it, I keep thinking something's wrong with me.

Hey, where's Ev?

We are having a major, dangerous heat wave...well it's been a couple years, so I guess we're due. Day after day of 105, 114, 107, 109 etc, with lows only down to the mid-70s, and no end in sight. But running in the dark when I can is working out ok, and I have lovely, cool, San Francisco (half) marathon this weekend, oh, and did someone say something about eating? Just thinking about San Francisco makes me hungry....uh oh!

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Hiya Kids,

Sounds like some good eating Leslie. Maybe if you go run, oh I don't know, 50k or somethin', you'll burn it off!

Arla- Good luck in San Francisco!! I looked at your course and the first half looks pretty flat. Run hard and you can reward yourself with some nice sourdough bread,mmm.That is some tough stuff with your temps. Good going getting in any running with that. Please don't tell anyone (don't want to jinx it) but after aaalllll that rain we had,we are enjoying a terrific summer. St Thomas-like weather. 80-85 during the day,65 at night. Perfect. We have yet to turn on the AC in the house which is unheard of for July.Can't help thinking that this is our "spring" and the hot humid stuff is down the road.

Been getting Buddy out when I can.He really doesn't do well when it's over 70 or so, yet will walk into the ocean in February. I have a nice reservior that I take him to where he can dip every mile or so,he loves that.

Easy 4 last night. First 2 barefoot,last 2 shod.

Arla - Good luck this weekend in SF.  I'm sure the temps will be a tad cooler than what you've been enduring.

Joe - Don't think about any carpy weather that may be down the road.  Enjoy this (and your lower utility bill!) for now.

5 miles this a.m. with 6 x 3 intervals (at least I guess that's what you'd call them).  Drove over to the zoo so I could run them on flat road.  I think I programmed my Garmin wrong because it lapped every 3 minutes the entire 5 miles as opposed to just the 6 x 3 intervals when I had it start clocking them down. Oh well.

Camethisclose to a frigging bathroom incident!  Let's just say that if it'd been a little bit darker, I would've dug a whole in someone's yard.  Cripes, the 10 min walk - I absolutely could not run - to the grocery store was sheer agony.  Guess all the eating I did this weekend didn't appreciate the speed work.   However, family left this a.m., so it's back to eating normal again (too bad).

Later, kids ~

Oh - There was a Kelly sighting over on the Trail Runner forum:

Hi Guys!  Thanks for the busy beaver comment-I don't know what I've been doing.  Work is keeping me busy, the kids are out of school and one is working the other I'm keeping somewhat busy thanks to some help from my parents but now he's home bored to death.  Busy training-I'm 10 weeks out from my 100 miler?  Something like that.

Last weekend was the VT100 which I crewed for Jack and he won!!!  He had a great race-finished in 16:36 which is not a PR for him but within a 10 min range of the past 2 years finish time.  He had one other runner hanging with him until mile 88 where he was finally able to slip away while he was in the John and won with about a 40min gap.  Jack is the first VT male to ever win the VT100 in its 21 yr history and Ultrarunning suggested he could be the oldest winner of a major ultra ever at 51yrs old.  I sent this info to the AARP Magazine-we'll see if they call for an interview .

My training is going well.  I ran the Finger Lakes 50 mile on July 4.  The mud was so deep and plentiful I finished in 10:04 about an hour slower than last year but still placed the same-second female overall and first master female.  13 out of 23 that finished-about half the field dropped to the 50K because of the mud-weenies!

My family life has been keeping me busy in that when you mix two divorced people and one has kids (teenagers now) things don't always go as smoothly as other families appear to be.  I've been grappling with what to do internally and still haven't come up with any solution.  This isn't exactly something I want to be posting on the internet so we'll leave it at this and things will work out somehow.

I do miss you guys but there's just not enough time in the day.  Keep up the good work!

Happy Trails,  Kelly

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Just found out the RDs at SOB are providing photos of the run for free!  I downloaded a few here as a slide show: http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x194/fatozzig/sob%202009%20pro%20photos/?action=view&current=735cc7fb.pbw&t=1248197065

But if you'd like to see more, you can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/siskiyououtback/

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kinda quiet in here the last couple of days.  You'd think it was summertime!

3 lackluster miles in heavy fog and humidity followed by 1 hr of core/strength.  Only had time for 2 sets of each exercise.  With a new job looming larger in front of me, I'm gonna have to start dragging my butt out of bed by 4:00/4:30 (depending on the scheduled workout).  No more sauntering in to work somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00. {{sigh}} Real jobs suck.

Enjoy the downhill slide to Friday ~

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - *oof*... 4:00 - 4:30 is tough. I had a period of time I had to do that, best advice I got was to get out of bed before you can think about how much you don't want to get out of bed! And once you're up, well, you're up. Might as well go run.

Yay!!! Mom's house is in escrow as of today! One less thing to worry about. Looks like only one more trip to LA for me, should be a big savings in gas for my car ...good thing, I need it to pay for the air conditioning this month 

Arla

Ex runner

Morning -

Arla - Yea! on the escrow.  Ugh! on the cost of air conditioning.  I won't tell you that this a.m. at work I had to come in and pump up the heater 'cause I was cold . . . .

Hi to everyone else!  (waving  madly)

5 miles w/sprints every 10 minutes.  Total time 47:13:21 for a 9:27 ap.  Was suppose to be 6, but Mother Nature had other ideas.   Also another morning of sucky weather.  Damp and heavy.  Bleck, bleck, bleck.

When I got home, The Hub was already up and fixing breakfast.  Very sweet of him, but unfortunately, it wasn't what I wanted, and now it's sitting like a big ball of  in my gut.  Me and eating right after working out is not a good combo.  I usually have to wait an hour, but will have a glass of milk and Ovaltine.

We're trying to adopt the neighbors' cat away from them.  They feed her, I'm assuming, but I don't think they give her any attention and she's an absolute love bug.  She popped in the back door this a.m. while I was feeding the boys, so she got the have an early breakfast, too.  The way I figure it, they can keep her up on her shots, etc., and we can do all the lovin'.  Works for me!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Keep giving her da bizness Leslie,and she'll keep coming back I'm sure. Good pace for your run.

Arla- good news about your Mom, simplifying things is going to make your life easier. Last chance to once again wish you Good Luck on your race!!!!

Summertime nothing, this place is a ghost town......

11.2m in the rain today.First 5 with Buddy. Been doing some bike riding, mostly cause it's fun, but it sure does give me some dead legs on my next runs! Ouchie Momma!

Going to do some kayak camping with friends in Rhode Island this weekend.Have a good one!