Masters Running

Is It Realy Monday Already Runs and Stuff (Read 662 times)

Rise and shine everyone! Back to school, work and all the other routine stuff that comes with Monday morning. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Quick post on yesterday's half marathon. Absolutely beautiful day for a race. Clear blue skies, no wind, and temps around 50° at the start. A fired up crowd of about 7,000 standing in front of Lambeau Field just waiting to take off. I ran with my DS and DIL, and we started out great. Trying to keep a steady pace and finished the first mile in 9:09. I felt good, but thought that maybe this pace was a little too quick to sustain for 12.1 more miles. I was right. Felt strong up until around mile 11, then the wheels came off. I had to stop and walk for a few minutes to try and psych myself up that I could finish strong. Last splits were 9:28 and 9:33, and finished the race with a 9:44 pace. I'm disappointed, but this wasn't a really good training cycle for me. Still managed to finish 9th in my AG out of 75 women. I've got a lot to learn as I begin training for that marathon in October, and any help y'all could offer would be much appreciated.

On another note, my DS signed up for the full marathon in January but didn't put in the necessary training, so he decided to just run the half with us. At mile 10, he told me he was feeling really good and wanted to keep going. Now, the longest training run this kid had was only 11 miles. He finished the marathon in 4:29. I was really proud of him. The sad thing was because he didn't think he'd get a time being registered for the full marathon and only planning on running the half, he didn't put his timing chip on his shoe - just shoved it in his pocket. He never got an official time because the timing mats couldn't read the chip.  His wife got a picture of him crossing the finish line with bib # clearly visible and the time over his head. They're going to see if he can at least get a time so he gets credit for his first marathon.

Never did get to meet up with Slo, though I did have a nice chat with him on the phone. I'm sure he'll be telling you all about his race when he gets home today.

Slo

The details will have to wait until I get home. Here's the quick.

Great Race....Great City.

The short report........3:40:25. (8:24 pace) Maintained a steady 8:13 pace from mile 5 thru mile 24.  Very slow start due to starting back to far. First 5 mile splits were 8:24.

Jlynne and I did miss missing each other.....but like she said, we did have a nice chat on the phone.

My only objective for this race was to A) Beat my last time....which I did and B) learn something about the Marathon...which I did. Now it's time to start training for a fall marathon.

Headin out for a quick 8 miler then headin home.............On 2nd thought....maybe I'll skip the 8 miler.

Good Morning Slo_Hand and JLynne.

Nice work JLynne even though the wheels came off at the end. Sounds like you had fun and I hope your son gets an official word for his efforts. The elasticity of youth!

Good running Slo_Hand and you hit your goals right on.

Recover well and onward for you both.

4.2 mellow no-watch miles for me at 7:15--running in the opposite direction of the school bus lest I interfere with the kiddo's coolness vibe. Felt great this morning and now it's time to dive into the busy week ahead.

I look my best blurry!

4.2 mellow no-watch miles for me at 7:15--running in the opposite direction of the school bus lest I interfere with the kiddo's coolness vibe. Felt great this morning and now it's time into the busy week ahead.

This cracks me up because my kids are mortified if there friends see me running.  I live less than a mile from the middle and high schools.  So, I wear a hat, keep my head down  and hope not to be recognized.  

Kudos to Jlynne, her son and Slo-Hand!  

Jlynne and Slo-Thanks for starting us off and congrats on your races.

CNY- The coolness factor can never be overrated, what a great fit mom you are!

No run for me yet today, that comes later. Last week before the 5K. Last week set a new PR for miles in a week. dg no job decisions yet, I still have to interview for the coaching position, that won't be until June. Thanks for asking about me though.

Morning off today after 2 days of landscaping. There are 34 full brown paper yard waste bags in front of my house this morning . I was just too tired this morning to run. I did a get a 10-miler in Saturday morning before beginning my weekend of yardwork. I ran on the Battle Road trail in Lexington & Concord. Ran right past a camp of Redcoats. Making breakfast over open fires and prepping for some re-enactments. I may try to get in 5 miles after work but I kinda feel like I've been hit by a bus after this busy weekend.

And i just booked my room in Corning, NY for my second marathon, the Wineglass Marathon, Oct. 3rd. I hear it's speedy.

And i just booked my room in Corning, NY for my second marathon, the Wineglass Marathon, Oct. 3rd. I hear it's speedy.

It is indeed speedy and great fun. Enjoy and I am sorry I am not running it again this year.

Thanks Craneium! The kiddo did say that I could probably run faster than all the mothers of his merry band of buddies. It was probably my fashion choices this morning---bright orange shorts, long sleeved red shirt with a drunk Moose on the front and green gloves (grabbed at the last minute as I scooted out the door). 

Marathon Maniac #957

Lamerunner – with all the cross-training you do, I wouldn’t think you need to lengthen your weekend runs.

Divechief – I showed your pictures to DS – very kewl!

TimWhite – you absolutely do NOT need to be able to run to post here.  You don’t even have to talk about running in your post....

Jlynne – congratulations on your very respectable AG placement, especially considering this training cycle was a tough one - great racing!  And congratulations to your DS for finishing his first marathon!  Hopefully you can get it made official.  Perhaps the photo company for the race can verify his positions along the full marathon course.

Slo_Hand – great racing and congratulations on meeting your goals!

EGH3 – 34 bags – wow!

CNYrunner -

No run for me today, tried some Exercise On Demand videos instead: 23 min. upper body weights (Jackie 1-on-1) and a 22 min. abs and core (Body by Jake).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

JLynne - What was your finishing time in the HM? Congrats to your DS for his first marathon, official credit or not. And did you know that many races are switching to a new timing product where the "chip" is disposable and actually part of your bib? That's right: no more putting something on your shoe (didn't Erika forget her chip one time?).

Wow, Slo. Great marathon time. Many of us can only dream...

CNY, it doesn't count without a watch (at least not to the 10th mile).

Had a good 6-miler today (with my watch), discovering that it helps to vary my pace, so even with an average pace around 10 minutes I dipped into the 8s for a couple of stretches. I might try something longish on Wednesday, depending on whether or not I run tomorrow.

Get yourselves off to a good start to the week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I missed that. Congrats on the marathon Slo. well done! congrats Jlynne on your half. Nice!

Dave59

Good job on the Green Bay race Jlynne and Slo.  That's one I think about every spring but haven't done yet.  I like that I could drive there and being a football fan it would be a fun place to go.

I ran 5.3 miles this morning.  No watch so it doesn't count.   Most my runs don't count.  I only take a watch if I am doing a tempo run, or intervals, or a pace run, etc.

This is a key week.  I really need it to be a "normal" week (which in itself would not be normal.)  

I have a couple projects at work that are due 7/1 and I'm at a key point for some specific milestones.  And with the Deadwood half in a few weeks, this will probably be the last big week of training so I need to eat good and stay healthy.  (I hate to say big week around here with all the maniacs and ultra runners, but it's all relative.)

JLynne - What was your finishing time in the HM?

2:07:24. Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone. The woman who took first place in the 55-59 AG ran an 8:56 mile, so I need to either pick up the pace, or get older (she was only 55 )

Funny thought from yesterday. We were waiting for DS to finish his marathon, and watching the runners coming in to the last part of the race where they run through Lambeau Field. A guy was running along, and all of a sudden, he pulls out a flag that he had somehow stashed in his running pants (for the whole marathon, no less). As he let it open, a big BOO came up from the crowd lining the fence. It was a Chicago Bears flag.  Gotta love those Packer fans.

fatozzig, I hope the changed job situation works out well for you.  bike, without all the details, it sounds like the new job possibility is better than the non working one you now have.  holly, congrats to your daughter and her team on their win.  evan, congrats to your sons on their track and soccer accomplishments.  I hope your son gets back to feeling well quickly.  Ilene, nice half and neat to meet up with HuskyDon.  lame, that was a scary time with your son.  I'm glad it turned out ok.  mariposai, nice marathon.  Tammy, good job on the 10K.  franc, that's a lot of miles you put in for the 12 hours.  steve, I take it you had a fun 5K with family and friends. kimmie, good job in your 5K.  jlynne, way to go in your half and neat you got to share the day with your son (first marathon) and his wife.  Slo, impressive marathon.

Nice long runs for dave, Walt, holly, breger, dive, lame, Tammy (including previously mentioned race), WRFB, CNY and Walt (got to run together), wild, evan, and EGH.

Yesterday, my daughter got her marathon in Cleveland done.  As at the aborted Nashville race, she was hoping for a 4:30 which I thought was a bit optimistic.  She did finish in 4:50 which is 37 minutes better than  her other marathon so she was pleased with that.  The weather was great, probably low 50s at the start and high 50s at the end.  I probably walked about 8 miles getting to a couple of places on the course and ran with her for about the last 6 miles.  The travelling, hotel, etc, went smoothly.  It was a good weekend but also good to be back home.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Jlynne, congrats--good holding on at the end.  You clearly kept going and didn't walk much and you learned a lot.  I can't believe your son.  (ps-good thing that guy kept the flag hidden or he may not have finished the race on two feet!)

Well Slo, tell us what you learned!

divechief, I liked your photos.  That must be fantastic--I only recently went snokeling for the first time and loved it, can only imagine going so far down as you adventurers.

Kevin, so your race is next month.  We'll be following you.  Keep us posted on your progress (and taper, we can help with that.)

Congrats to your daughter, Tom.

Dave, I ain't saying nuthin' as I don't want to jinx you.  It would be nice to meet you, is all, sometime, somewhere....

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                              wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, sorry you were disappointed with your time, but I think 9 out of 75 in AG is awesome!  And it must have been great to run with your DS and DIL, too.  Do you think baby Will will grow up to be a runner, too? Sweet pic in your avatar, btw.   And amazing that your DS completed a marathon with only an 11 mile long run.  And with a good time, too - hope he gets the credit he deserves.

SloHand, great marathon for you, and congrats on the PR!

Karin and Kristin, you shouldn't hide from your kids when you're running - embarrasing kids is one of a parents' great joys!   Karin, I love your outfit this morning! One time I went to pick up DD after a school event in my running clothes, and I figured (hoped?) she'd be mortified. But she didn't care. She actually said some of her friends said they wished their mothers ran.  So I'd be willing to bet your kids are proud of you, even if they don't admit it.

George, I was looking at the Wineglass in Corning, too, as it's close to where DD will be at school in Ithaca.  But I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself.  I should probably think about a local race for a first marathon, instead of traveling so far.  But then again, all the local races are at higher altitude.

Tom, congrats to Sandy on a good marathon. I think a 37 minute PR is an amazing accomplishment!  So nice that you were there to share it with her and run her in.  You must be proud to have another marathoner in the family.

Planning a RAL.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.