Masters Running

40's on the Run - Week Starting 2/15 (Read 522 times)

"Good things come slow - especially in distance running." - Bill Dellinger, Oregon coach Didn't have anything witty to say to start us off, but I find the above quote simple and affirming, so hope you will too. Longest run ever yesterday for me...a little over 11 miles. A bit of pain last night behind one knee, but seems to be getting better today, so hopefully nothing major. That will be our longest run prior to the half...hoping the race day vibe will carry us through those last couple of miles. OK, now your turn to catch us up on YOUR antics and runs too!
    Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Confused

jfa

Longest run ever yesterday for me...a little over 11 miles.
        Yea Carol - Way to Go !!! You're set up nicely for this race.You're going to do Great ! Splendid V Day for DW and I. With 2 boys left in the small house,we don't get a lot of "solo" time. Beat the crowd and went to a lovely dinner tonight instead of last night.Oh yea, today I did 21m @ 9:50. Splendid weekend indeed. Smile

Good morning...... Woohoo Carol......nice 11 miler! You're going to do great. Thanks for getting us going for the week! Joe, sounds like you did have a super weekend. A nice dinner, and oh ya, just a measly 21 miler @ a so-so pace of about 9:50. Smile I'd say you had a splendid weekend! We had a nice time down in Pompano Beach and the concert was great. Outside venue at the Amphitheater......couldn't have asked for better weather. Now it's back to reality.......work, school, laundry, etc. blah. Have a nice day everyone, Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            Carol, nice 11 miler. Race day vibe will definately get you there.....It actually will be your hard trainng that will do it. Smile Joe....nice long run. Jewels....any pics from the concert? For Valentines Day my wife and I went to watch evryothrday bull ride. He's went from motocross racing to bullriding in one fell swoop. I don't know where he got this from. I tend to think about rodeo and bullriding as something that agricultural families do. Those kids are brought up with livestock, riding horses, working cattle etc. The closest my kid has ever been to livestock was when he was a toddler, I'd sing him "Ole Mac Donald Had a Farm." Evrynite I would get on hands and knees and he would get on my back and we'd "ride the bull". Fun times. I guess he did do the mutton bustin' competition at the rodeo when he was about 8. Well now he's doing it for real. Has mrsday in a fritz. I'm not too excited about it myself. But what do you do.....the kid's 19 and has his own set of plans. yesterday....15 miles...10:34 pace overall....last 3 miles were 9:23 pace. Perfect weather.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Couple of great runs there for Ev, Carol and Joe. Nice goin', peeps! Jewels - Outdoor concerts are the best. Ev - Love your description re your kid getting into bull riding. Smile My uncle was born and raised in NYC, his dad was a NYC cop, and he and his brother both rode the bull riding circuit for years. I always wondered how a city kid got interested in something that, like you say, is more related to ag kids. He absolutely loved it, though. Still watches rodeo all the time. Did some running (okay, maybe not running) around town yesterday morning, and between that and the late night the night before going to see the Munich Symphony at Humboldt State, I was, and still am, exhausted. I go back to work tomorrow, and I have a feeling that's going to be interesting. I told The Hub yesterday that I can't imagine going through something like this, even as minor as it was, and not being in good physical condition. I can definitely see why it's recommended that people take two weeks off before going back to work.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Super long runs here, Carol, Ev and Joe. Ev how long has your son been riding bulls? Leslie you seem to be bouncing back pretty quickly and I am sure your level of conditioning helps alot. Jewels sounds like a cool concert! Hiya to Kelly, Cindy, Salty and any others outthere. I skipped my long run in favor of a series of shorter runs from my bed to the bathroom. Had to go to a small city to get my cellphone that I ran over with my 18 wheeler replaced and stopped for a quick supper. I just had a salad with grilled chicken but think it might have been the cause of my grief!! Anyway whatever it is, it sure kicked my tail but as per Leslie's experience I think it would have been worse if I didn't have some level of conditioning. We leave tommorow for our marketing conference in PS, hoping I am 100% by then.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ev how long has your son been riding bulls?
                  4 bulls, 4 weeks.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

4 bulls, 4 weeks.
                    2 words Ev ; Bullriding school, Smile If he is set on doing it. won't make it safe but it will help and you will learn in a week what it would take years. usually several put on over Easter Break.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Yes, Jim. The youngster wants to do a school. He has looked into one. His mother and I are torn between encouraging the activity and supporting our son. Does that make sense? I know you're right though. If he's heck bent on doing it, some coaching would probably be a good thing. He went to a motocross school and it did help a lot. He can't, for the life of him, see what pleasure I get out of running! Big grin

jfa

He can't, for the life of him, see what pleasure I get out of running! Big grin
                        Excellent! Finally a Disgruntled Dad Thread! I have been longing for this! First Ev- nice long run and strong finish. Secondly, I don't think you can should try to stop him. Might as well make him smarter about it..Our 24yo went through dirt bikes,snowmobiles,jet skiis.etc. Second son is only interested on what's on the screen in front of him! They will find their way. Why can't they be perfect, like we were?! I just asked son #2 why I am sending him to college,when he already knows practically Evrything! Jewels- Sounds like a nice concert! Jim-sounds like you need a tougher phone ! Feel better for your trip! Leslie- take it easy and heal up

{{{{Farmer Jim}}}} One of the sickest The Hub has ever been was probably caused by cross contamination from raw chicken juice. He was in SF and probably should've gone to the ER, he was throwing up and had such severe diarrhea. Even drove home 6 hours in that condition. Boy was I ticked! Angry I could've gotten someone to drive me down to pick him up. Cripes, was he ill. Drink lots and lots of fluids!! You guys talking about your kids brings back memories of my brother. Oh my. He should write a book about his antics and mishaps, the least of which was driving head-on on the highway into a station wagon, the engine of his El Camino ending up in his lap, and when the cops showed up, people telling the cop to not worry about the guy in the El Camino 'cause he's dead. Once EMTs show up on the scene, the cop finally goes over to see about my brother and realizes that he is, in fact, alive. When the whole incident eventually went to court (my brother was at fault), the cop walked up to my brother in the courthouse, shook his hand, and apologized for not checking on him as soon as he arrived on the scene. That's just one of many death-defying incidents in my brother's life. It's truly amazing he's alive.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Morning, folks - So far the day is treating me well, except for my back muscles. They're just very irritated from overcompensation. I see a good excuse for a massage wafting around in that statement. Big grin Later!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey fab 40's........how is everyone? Leslie, glad to hear you are slowly but surely starting to feel better. Jim, hope that food poisoning leaves your system in a hurry. Sounds horrible..... Ev, I think that is kinda cool about your son and the bullriding. Nerve racking I'm sure but like everyone else said, "they are going to do what they want to do." I did "sneak" my camera into the concert. Luckily since we had all access passes we didn't get frisked. I swear the regular admission line seemed like a mile long. Everyone got patted down pretty good. Purses were searched, all pockets were turned inside out. It's all about safety and I'm all for it. My first run today since my race.......absolutely horrible. At mile 2 my knee was burning so bad I walked the rest of the way home. It felt like mile 11 at my race......... Undecided I tell ya, I was really lucky my race went as smooth as it did considering I can barely go 2 miles now. I think it is time to get an appt with my doc just to make sure nothing serious is going on. Enjoy the evening everyone.......... Jewels
                              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                                Hey fab 40's........how is everyone? Jewels
                                Fab - long time ago when we was fab Fab - back when income tax was all we had 3 slow miles for me this afternoon. 11:forty something pace. Ok.....today was windy.