Masters Running

Cruddy Slow Summer Run Questions (Read 404 times)

My summer runs have been slow and getting slower. Tonight was the worst. Legs felt like lead. 42 minute 3.5 mile run. No spring to my step. I havent had a good run since spring.

My thoughts...1. its hot and humid

2. I am over training on the cycle and am burned out a bit

3. Not eating right

4. Not sleeping due to too hot and humid

5. Need to run more, cycles less

6. Combination of all the above

Has anyone elses runs been slow? Is it summer or is it me? Got any suggestions or ideas?

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

jfa

Can't answer in much detail without a log, but the heat and humidity are debilitating. I have been trying to come up with a brief summary of what the difference is. The best analogy for me is imagine you're running with extra 25lbs on each limb, and only half the air is available to breathe. Then there's the sun.

Look at the bright side, we're not running in Moscow!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey Laurie! Yes, I've been running the sequel to "Dumb and Dumber" this summer ("Slow and Slower", obviously ), but I think there's one more factor to your list that you need to add: you're minding it too much. Seriously. If you try to let go of the disappointment factor, the slow running might not be so onerous, ya know? Lately my mantra has been "miles are miles". If you feel good that you're running PAINFREE (and yes, that's my big kicker too), then speed shouldn't matter. Or at least not as much. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out for what felt like a "quick 3-miler" and then learn after the fact that my pace was a consistent 10:35 /mile. WTF? I used to do that a good minute and a quarter faster last winter and spring! But no, you can't let yourself get sucked down into the disappointment of it all.

It's one thing to run slow. Yes, all those factors you list are valid. It's another to feel bad about it. At least you're running.

My 2 cents. Hope that helped.

Glad to hear you're running!

I don't know what training you've been logging of course, so I can't comment on the Over Training or the Cycling.  But I would definitely think 1, 3, and 4 would be factors.

I run in the H&H most of the year and I usually think it costs me a minimum of 30 seconds per mile - and remember I'm acclimated to the H&H!  It might cost you even more seconds per mile since you are not as used to it as I might be.

Clearly you can take care of the eating habits.  And make sure you are getting enough sleep.  Even if you can't get a good night's sleep every night, try to at least catch up on the sleep deficit a couple of nights a week which should ease the low energy feeling caused by that alone.

And OM makes a great point (doesn't she always?).  Just get out there and try to enjoy the day and enjoy the surroundings.  Appreciate the view!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

This summer is just relentless so there are not those cool breaks to remind you that you CAN run faster. It seems like we've just lost it. But it's still there. Just continue to run by effort and don't try to hit paces built from a fall/winter marathon or half marathon target.  The more you suffer the suumer heat, the better the cooler temperatures will feel in the fall.

I'm running a full minute slower than fall/winter running.

OM has it right... embrace the heat and accept the slower pace.  I think alot is mental too. Just enjoying the run makes you feel cooler.

Also...pool running is a great summer alternative.

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Perch--you're right about the relentless summer.  I can't remember so many days above 70º so early in the morning.  The few summers ago when I first started running, I don't remember hardly any at all.  But my two only memorable runs this summer have been when I managed to hit a couple of cool and dry days. 

My training early this summer was just miles.  I didn't care about speed.  Everything went pretty well and I was happy with the results.  The last few weeks, I've tried to work some speed into the training to use the miles for my 5k (tonight)  The runs have been mainly from Meh to BLECH.  Guess I haven't acclimated nearly as much as I thought.  Like everyone else has said in one way or another--embrace the suck and hang on until fall.  It's not far away now.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Laurie, this summer is the most difficult for running I can remember.  We're in the middle of a string of 100+ days, and this morning it was 86 at 6 am.  I like OM's advice a lot, and Joe's analogy is right on.  I have to take walk breaks, swim, and yes, resort to the treadmill to maintain sanity (seems backwards, huh?).  Haven't had one of those transcendent feel good runs since the spring, but fall IS coming.  Just saying...you're not alone.
                Progress Trumps Pefection
                wildchild

Carolyn

I'm really slow in the summer too, but for a different reason. I live in the Rockies, and all my summer running is done at altitude because it's so much cooler than in the flatlands. Although I don't have H&H I have mountains and high altitude.  My times are dismally slow. But it's better than running in 90° on the flat trails in town where I work.

As others have said, things will get better (and faster) in the fall.   

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Oh its good to know that I am not alone on this. This has been a really hot yuck summer.

I think technique on the bike is hurting too. Too much use of quads and too low of cadence leaving my legs trashed.

Thanks for all the input. I dont want summer to end. But I look forward to cooler runs, and some color in the trees.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

...laurie//...........I'm with OM on this one,

JustBeHappyYouCanRun.

two years before the Next Olympics anyway.............. Enjoy........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tom, you crack me up. lol. Yeah I agree. I am sure speed and strength will come in time.

Thanks everyone.