Masters Running

St. Mary's Hospital 5K - Saginaw, MI (Read 253 times)

Short story: 27:15, 8:47/mile, 2/4 in AG, 59/138 OA Details: This starts out about like my last report. I was overdue for a chance to see my local running friends and I needed a race in June to maintain my streak of at least one run in each calendar month that goes back something like four and a half years. Due to the fact that my hamstring is still not quite right ( I do think it's improving and I don't want to backslide) I chose the 5K rather than the 10K and planned to not push the pace. I figured that I'd be tickled with a 9 minute pace but didn't think of it as a goal as I planned to back off if I felt uncomfortable. I've done this race several times, but not for a few years. It's scenic, on a paved trail along the Saginaw River. I was able to visit with about a dozen of my friends before and after the race so that part was great. The temperature was probably in the low to mid 70s, overcast, and humid. One of the plusses of the race is that the starts of 10K, 5K, and 5K walk were staggered to relieve the congestion at the start and avoid having walkers ahead of runners. With the somewhat narrow paved trail, I started towards the back, which is where I belong, but also looked at it as a good thing as I couldn't pass many people at the start even if I could and wanted to. I figured it would force me to a slow start. Since my GPS died the other day, I couldn't monitor my pace like I often do. I just had a regular stopwatch and hoped the miles were marked and marked accurately. I started at a pace that felt comfortable and didn't feel any hamstring discomfort. As the opportunity presented itself, I would pass another runner or two. At the one mile mark, my watch was just at 9 minutes. At the turn around, it appeared that my pace was about the same. At two miles, it looked like I may have gained a few seconds but felt good. After the turn and especially in the third mile, I was passing quite a few people and wasn't being passed myself. At the three mile mark, it looked like I'd gained a few more seconds. In the last tenth, I was passed by a young gal who I'd passed just a few seconds earlier. She saw the finish and had a big kick and flew by me. I talked to her afterwards and complimented her on her fast finish. The weather was pleasant for visiting after the race and the organizers had things set up nicely. One of the plusses was the hospital was giving out free bicycle helmets. Since I ride my bike to town most nice days to get the paper, I thought that would be a good thing to have and wear on my short but frequent rides. After I got home, I checked my mile splits and found 9:00, 8:50, 8:35, and :49 or 8:10 pace for the last tenth. I still don't feel and twinges, I liked the way my mile times dropped, and I saw a lot of my friends so all is good. TomS
    HermosaBoy

Nice negative split!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

huskydon

Tom, Good job, you ran well within yourself, and showed a strong finish too. Yes, its all good. huskydon
        nowor

Tom, Well done. You saw friends, carried out a reasonable plan, have no pain, and evidence that you are recovering. WTG wise boomer.
            Nice job Tom, The streak is intact and the hammie behaved itself. Hope this is the beginning of a good racing season for you. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Dave59

Nice race Tom. I'm glad your hamstring cooperated. (St. Mary's used to have an 8-mile event too but it looks like the 10k replaced it.)

Nice race...... good strategy for not going out too fast and you ended with some fast paced miles! Jim
                  Nicely done Tom. Smart to plan it as you did and ran it perfectly to that plan! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Great Race...Your pacing was excellent...It's also nice to see your friends too Congrats...
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

The Jogger

Nice race Tom and good pace. The girl must have been chuffed to have recieved a compliment from the person she just took, you are a good person. (I hope chuffed means the same over there as it does over here) Smile Roy
                        Super racing and way to keep up the streak. I am thinking that whenever you show up at a race, you have a huge group of friends right there----your kindness always come through your reports. Nice way to bring each mile down, enjoy a race and the spirit of the group. Sweet deal on the bike helmets too. Thanks for sharing this. Karin/CNYrunner
                          A nice day at the "office", I'd say. Good racing, Tom.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          SteveP

Your race reports are always a joy to read Tom. Thanks!!!!

SteveP

dg.

Tom, great job! You were able to maintain your amazing race a month streak, & be the poster boy for "Wise & Mature" at the same time! A nice surprise to end up faster than you hoped for. thanks for your report, & wtg. Big grin
                                As one who runs with a watch, I was thinking that to run without one and to be able to have paced yourself so nicely with negative splits, is a very nice accomplishment. You certainly handled the race well and safely got to run with your friends again. Thanks for a nice race report and congratulations. I hope the injury does not show its' face again. Joey
                                Vista