Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 12.14.13 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm glad that Mike and Twocat have arrived safely (even on Friday the 13th!) at their race venues. I hope everyone else who is racing this weekend gets there and back safely too.

A woman at our office was telling me yesterday that she has only run on her TM this week, even though she hates it, hates it, hates it. But she's been too wary of the chilly temps to venture outside. So I gave her the usual spiel that it is just mind over matter, she is over-thinking it, layering can keep one pretty comfortable at any temperature, and the hardest step is that first one out the door. So she asked if I was going to go out this morning, knowing it was going to be the chilliest morning so far. I said, "Sure, I'll be out there." So she said she would too. What was I thinking? At 4 o'dark, it was 8 with a WC of -4. But I couldn't back out after giving my word, so I put on my winter tights, 2 shirts under my windbreaker, glove liners in my mittens, and headed out. And, you know, it was quite refreshing (in a chilly kind of way)! I went 6.5 racewalking miles, and I kept pushing the pace, going faster with each passing mile. My hands, my biggest concern in this weather, were comfortably cold (thankfully, not comfortably numb), and if they're OK, then I'm OK.

Now, DW is taking me to our favorite dive for breakfast before I have to do our site walks for our upcoming monthly conservation commission meeting. We're going to a neighbor's Christmas party this afternoon, and then we'll hunker down and wait for some snow to fall.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  I also want to wish Twocat and everybody else racing, today, good luck!  Sorry...sometimes I forget I'm not the only one doing these things.

Okay--that's all I had.  See ya!

Henrun

Mornin' everyone!

I'm glad that Mike and Twocat have arrived safely (even on Friday the 13th!) at their race venues. I hope everyone else who is racing this weekend gets there and back safely too.

A woman at our office was telling me yesterday that she has only run on her TM this week, even though she hates it, hates it, hates it. But she's been too wary of the chilly temps to venture outside. So I gave her the usual spiel that it is just mind over matter, she is over-thinking it, layering can keep one pretty comfortable at any temperature, and the hardest step is that first one out the door. So she asked if I was going to go out this morning, knowing it was going to be the chilliest morning so far. I said, "Sure, I'll be out there." So she said she would too. What was I thinking? At 4 o'dark, it was 8 with a WC of -4. But I couldn't back out after giving my word, so I put on my winter tights, 2 shirts under my windbreaker, glove liners in my mittens, and headed out. And, you know, it was quite refreshing (in a chilly kind of way)! I went 6.5 racewalking miles, and I kept pushing the pace, going faster with each passing mile. My hands, my biggest concern in this weather, were comfortably cold (thankfully, not comfortably numb), and if they're OK, then I'm OK.

Although we didn't fly to a race, we arrived safely home from New Orleans on the 13th.

I, too, hate TM's and have always preferred running outdoors. When I lived in Kennebunkport, Maine and the elder Bush was ex- president, one very cold morning I passed he and Barbara as they were walking their dog. He cautioned me to be careful of the cold. I assured him I would. If they weren't afraid of the cold I could take it too!

YAY mike and twocat//////.............good racing to ya.........

==============

34mprnb

with steps

...................and since mikeE apparently doesn't have to fly home he has one less thing to worry about.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Good running to the racers:

12/14 Mike E - Rocket City Marathon - Huntsville, AL

12/14 pfriese - Sandridge Santa Run 5K, OKC OK

12/14 Twocat - Kiawah Island Marathon, SC

12/14 Ileneforward - YMCA 5K, Long Beach CA

12/14 wildchild - Sawmill 50k+ Fat Ass run, White Ranch Park, Jefferson County, CO

12/15 IBleedUnionBlue - Santa Hustle Smokies 1/2 Marathon - Sevierville TN

12/15 Ileneforward - Holiday half Marathon, Pomona CA

Looks like Ileneforward is doing a double this weekend.

I had a great run today.  I'd give it at least a 9.8 on a scale of 1-10.  We're under a winter weather advisory.  Nothing too bad.  A few inches of snow so far and some wind.  19° that supposedly feels like 4°.  Someone with real sensitive skin at the weather headquarters stands out in the parking lot in shorts and a t-shirt and yells, "Feels like 4°" and then they post that on-line.

I wanted 5.6 miles to get to a 30 mile week.  I ended up with 5.89.  Going into the wind I just had to keep my head down and try to keep my eyes open.  Going with the wind was like a taste of heaven.  I took a winding route so I was never going in one direction too long: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415601112

My first real run in my shoes with the ice spikes.  They were great.  Some places where the cars chewed up the snow too much and I couldn't get a grip even with the spikes but mostly good footing.

My first run in my new North Face running jacket.  I really didn't feel like spending $130 on a running jacket, but I did and I am glad.  Absolutely the best outer layer I have ever worn.  I never got too warm or too cold.  I had one light long sleeve shirt on underneath.  Check it out if you are in the market: http://tinyurl.com/l585b8q

Have a greta day.  I am.

Mike E

MM #5615

I had a great run today.  I'd give it at least a 9.8 on a scale of 1-10.  We're under a winter weather advisory.  Nothing too bad.  A few inches of snow so far and some wind.  19° that supposedly feels like 4°.  Someone with real sensitive skin at the weather headquarters stands out in the parking lot in shorts and a t-shirt and yells, "Feels like 4°" and then they post that on-line.

Okay--that's hilarious.

Well...I came close...3:00:36.  Garmin said 26.48 miles.  Oh well...I had a great race and I fought to the very end.  After Ryan helped me survive a strong headwind from mile 11 to 14, I left him at mile 16...I feel a little bad...he finished in 3:34:25.

evanflein

Nice run, Dave, and that does look like a good jacket. I'm always on the lookout for a nice winter running jacket, and like you I've never liked the price. But apparently you get what you pay for, right? And I must say it is so good to see you feeling good and enjoying your running. Nice week for you!

Jay, I'm not always deterred by the cold, although I'm certainly wimpier about it than I used to be, but the ice we've had recently is just no fun. After a couple of hard falls I'm a little wary of slick intersections and ice hiding under snow. Good for you for getting out there even if at first it felt outside of your usual comfort zone. Did your coworker make it out?

Welcome home, Marj and Henry!

ETA: Mike! In my book, mere seconds don't count. As far as I'm concerned, you hit it right on. Well done!

We had a forecast for deep cold and snow this weekend. So, of course, when we got up this morning there was maybe an inch or so of new snow, and it's around zero. *Yawn* I could've done without the snow because the bike paths looked to be plowed really well yesterday. Oh well. I'll try to get out there today. While I don't mind the treadmill (no sense "hating it" because it's just a tool to accomplish a goal), it's important to get outside when you can.

mrrun

ETA: Mike! In my book, mere seconds don't count. As far as I'm concerned, you hit it right on. Well done!

+++ congrats!

Several years ago I spent $$$ on a screaming yellow biking jacket and have never regretted it.  I've used it biking and running and don't get wet, hot, or hit.  I'm not going to say how many cheaper ones I bought that just didn't work well.

Now we just have to hear from twocat and wildchild on marathons + and everyone else on the shorter races!

the snows have started, but just lightly

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

totally fantastic Mike.  When I was announced as disqualified for taking 12:00:55 to finish a 12-hour run, the RD invoked the "Boston Rules" and finished me in time.  Besides, after my last sub-four (3:59:53 in the 2002 San Diego Marathon, now Carlsbad), my father was telling all his non-running friends who asked that it was three hours.  I never bothered to correct him.

Now that Ryan has some experience, maybe you can plan a father/son revengathon in some race that'll recognize your joint achievement.  congratulations.

ps - don't worry about the flight home, . . .unless it's in a snowstorm, the pilots fall asleep, you can't get to the bathroom, or something

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

. When I lived in Kennebunkport, Maine and the elder Bush was ex- president, one very cold morning I passed he and Barbara as they were walking their dog. He cautioned me to be careful of the cold. I assured him I would. If they weren't afraid of the cold I could take it too!

Very cool!

Jay – that’s pretty cold – kudos!

Dave – running clothes can be so expensive, but if you take care of them (and don’t put them in the dryer) they will last years.

Mike – awesome race! Stoopid headwind probably cost you those extra seconds, but we have no control over the weather. I still think you rock!

Erika – how much daylight do you have these days?

We have the same weather forecasters as Dave does, apparently. The winter storm advisory last night scared the bejeesus out of everyone apparently, enough that they cancelled both the basketball game and the Christmas parade. What we ended up with was about an inch of slushy snow, which by lunchtime had turned into freezing rain. I expect that it will freeze overnight and the real trouble will be tomorrow morning, so hopefully the roads will be okay for my LR.

I talked my DD into one last Santa photo to add to our collection.  DH tried to talk DS into taking it with her, but he said that anyone with his own beard was too old to sit on Santa's lap...

7 miles for me this morning in 32 degrees and light sleet/snow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Winter wear running clothing - now there is an idea!

6 miles on our local bikepath - the world was out getting in miles before the storm - I was in good company.

Dave - that is funny - those with less sensitive skin should report the weather. It would make us all a lot happier.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike, nice 3 hour marathon.  Ryan's was pretty good, too.

Nice long runs for C-R (2 on the TM) and Dave.  Good job on the speedwork for sunkid and evan.

This morning, it was in the mid to high teens, there was some wind, and a little new snow (there's been a fair amount more since I finished).  I did 5 miles at an 11:46 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MikeE - you did awesome!!  How many years has it been to get a time like that?

Wrangled a tree, got it to stand up pretty straight, it wanted to fall over for the longest time.

Did 5.5 miles with the dog....lots of breaks.  I think tomorrow I'd like to run without him, so that I can keep a steady pace.

Now to bake cookies, and try not to eat too many.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

MikeE, you nailed that 3:00 time! Big congrats!

Enkephalin, congrats in setting up the tree and most importantly for staying straight !

Congrats to twocat who, btw, had a very strong race today. I am sure he will tell you the story when able.

I feel like I ran a marathon today, but all I did was 9 miles, two of which was jogging along with my little girlfriend at the jingle bell jog.

My Xt activities: the Easy Pacer and I were up early to cyber cheer twocat during his race.

When we saw him to the finish line I went to help decorate our Fit4Life Community Coalition float for the parade tonight. Then it was running to the Jingle Bell Jog starting line to help with registration, jogging the race, running back home after we put all the race equipment away, going to an actual run  for 7 miles, going to the parade and actually riding the float while other team mates did the walking/the Easy Pacer jogged , then coming home to get ready for a Christmas party. Now I am home exhausted, but very, very content. It has been a good community wellness day!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard