Masters Running

Your Thursday Daily Today! 10/19 (Read 46 times)

Since I am already going through Thursday I thought I would give some shout outs to let a few of you know how your day is going to go.

coastwalker impressive. Not everyone can get through 27 hours of meetings after work and before sunrise the next day. How do you do it?

wildchild nice run up 5 mountains without oxygen. I hear you, getting buzzed by a commercial jet is quite rude. They really should fly higher.

Mike E running 4:30 miles at the track is really going to dispirit that team you are coaching.

tetsujin209 bummer about that forecast. No rain ever again in Seattle. You may never find out if you are willing to again break Rule #1.

Holly S. I know you DD saw that Ferri and really liked it, but I am not sure it is such a good idea to give a teenager a car like that. Maybe give her your car and you take it?

Dave59 word is you will get some sleep next Wednesday. Good luck.

tomwhite congratulations on setting the new pool running record! I have no idea how you do it. Actually, seriously, I have NO idea how you even do it for 10 minutes.

evanflein hearing it is -12° in October is just too much for me to handle. I just cannot believe you run in cold like that. Also, glad you were fast enough to escape the moose that came charging down the trail.

mariposai nice job of mountain climbing with your DH followed by a 20 mile run up another one!

catwhoorg good job of doing 3 miles before breakfast, 2 after, then 4 before lunch and then 12 after lunch, and another 8 before dinner and finishing with 15 before going to bed!

fatozzig great news. Glad to hear your firm has decided posting on RA is now part of your job as well as running to your heart's content.

pfriese not quite up to catwhoorg standards but still 18 miles before breakfast, a climb up K2 after lunch and then 20 miles after dinner is still quite impressive.

RunnerKSA fingerprints are one thing, but them insisting on blood for an ID is really going too far! Plus, it is one thing to put a chip in a dog or a cat but if you do not want one they should not be able to insist you get one!

That will be your day tomorrow! As for me, DW and I are going on a tour of the local wine country. Happy running to you all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' Twocat, and everyone yet to rise.

I had very productive meetings yesterday, Twocat, but not nearly 27 hours-worth (thank goodness!).

Wednesday’s workouts:
      RunnerKSA (6.3 miles, including 4.1 morning miles + 2.2 TM, post-work miles)
      Dave59 (45 min. ARC trainer work)
      Tramps (exercises + 2.5 miles)
      Pfriese (11.3 round-town miles)
      DAW60 (5 lunchtime miles at 7:53 pace)
      Henrun (walking + yoga)
      Deeze (2 hr MFR/massage + 2 hr nap)
      Rochrunner (5 walking miles with friends)
      Metalmancpa (8 tempo miles, including 3 in the 7:50s)

Mike (13 miles, including 10 at tempo in the middle)

Catwhorog (12 tempo, lunchtime bike miles with windage)

Spacityrunner (4.75 wonderful trail miles with the gang)

Falconfixer (7.2 lunchtime miles with turnover drills)

Mariposai (speed workout between storms)

Tammy (3.3 afternoon miles with XC kids)

I got out at 4:08 this morning for 6.6 fartlek RW miles in 44° temps, under nice clear skies. I had a little shin something yesterday, so I put some KT tape on it this morning, and it felt fine. Gotta love that tape!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

3.1 miles to start the day.  Off to work.   2.4 treadmill after work.  Off to Dallas tomorrow (and Waco....).

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning good people! I hope Twocat comes home soon. These dailies posted ahead of time are messing with my head   But - having two recaps every day has been nice!

Holly - you are NOT a fat cow. Stop that!

Sorry about your friend Doug. That's so sad.

Another beautiful morning here. 42° with no wind and a clear, star-filled sky. And the sunrise?! I never stop being amazed at the beauty we are blessed with.  Just a little over 5 miles, with one speedy stretch up a very busy road.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

..we All agree that Holly is Not a BigFatCow, and will sign documents attesting to that fact....

so there.

=========

....ps....the Best Reason for all my PoolRunning is- No Other Options-

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Just a reminder to us all that running is no guarantee of immortality and you never know when something unexpected's going to force some major decisions on you.

Wisdom.

Holly & TW--LOL.

Glad to see Denise will have excellent weather for MCM this year.  Go Deez!

Tribee and I are headed out the Blue Ridge mountains tomorrow for a long weekend of camping and cycling.  The plan had been to do a century ride on Saturday but, with her accident, I don't think TriBee will be up for it, so we'll do a shorter distance. The forecast is for beautiful weather, so we lucked out.

So, in advance, good luck to all the weekend racers.

22 mile ride for me this sunny morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Missed checking in yesterday to report 5.2 awesome miles in a 45 degree morning.  That's over 30 degrees cooler than the run 48 hours prior and average pace dropped 17 seconds at same perceived effort.  Gotta like those "freebies!"

Conference championship yesterday and my boys took second overall of 7 schools.  Well behind 1st, but well ahead of 3rd.  Tow boys were All Conference selects.  One more meet in 9 days (Regionals), but only 7 of my 16 can run that.  I reluctantly informed the school I won't be coaching winter track this year.  Coaching 3 season (XC, winter, spring track) is just too much any more.

Rest day today to give a break to my right calf which has been feeling a bit tweaked lately.

I have a course ware deadline today and then lunch out with DW to celebrate her b-day, so I better get going.  Enjoy the day everyone.

...50-min PoolRun with letters,

not on purpose, just Lost Count

............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I ran today!  Just 6.2 miles in a breezy 45 degrees, which felt pretty cold as it does when I am coming off the summer heat.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Somewhat damp five miles.

It rained all night for the first time in over four months but abated enough for my five mile ‘mute that the only wet I got was spray and splashing from passing vehicles right adjacent to the bike path over the I-90 floating bridge a foot or two away now that they changed the emergency shoulder lane into a regular traffic lane to make room for the new Light Rail in the former express lanes.  Not bad enough, though, to wish it was back to twocat weather, . . . . yet   Further, five miles in rain much different from 26.2 miles, especially at my now so-called pace of 13-15m/m.

911 for one of the local down-and-outers.

I often chat with the panhandlers and bums as I get into downtown (giving them extra energy bars or offering job search help at Goodwill where I’ve volunteered, . . . though no one’s ever taken me up on the latter) but when one soaking wet fellow who must have spent the night on the sidewalk couldn’t seem to get up and wasn’t that coherent, I called 911.

I’m still in disbelief that, after giving the names of the intersecting streets, describing his condition, age he told me (53), etc., just as they were asking me if I could stick around until help arrived, a fire engine with flashing red lights and medics was already coming down the street. Maybe someone reported him before I did.

holly's doctor

Holly - I don’t know what kind of a creep doctor you have that you let you go home feeling like that about yourself but please get rid of him/her and get someone with a little human courtesy and kindness to go along with all their medical training so you don’t come out feeling worse than you did when you went in. I’d like to punch him/her in the face and, at my age, I wouldn’t hesitate to do it.

After my doctor retired, in order for me to find someone to relate to, e.g. same alma maters, skier, runner, etc., I had to go through four primary care physicians in the last three years. One of them used the word “crappy” about me three times until I finally found one I could relate to, . . . and vice versa. I can hardly wait and love going to see him (and think it’s vice versa too).  Otherwise, why not just do diagnoses on-line or see a different doctor every time (which is what my former clinic had me doing when Dr. Wonderful retired).   Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Yeah Holly - what Tet said so eloquently.  I'm more succinct.  A cow is not your comparable animal.  Perhaps a fox?

So yesterday was the last interval before the MCM.  5 miles, with mid 4 at race pace.  Felt good, but then again, it was only 4 miles.

Today is fizzy lifting, 3 miles, and spinerooni.  Gotta love the taper!

DAW60

Opus - good work by your team.  Looks like they have made some good progress after your preseason prognosis.

Metal - nice 8 yesterday.  You're looking fit.

6 miles during lunch at 8:00 avg.  Will have diminished miles over the next week as wife and I are driving down to Asheville for a quick vacation.  We'll be doing lots of hiking, walking and beer hoisting, however, as we seek out waterfalls and micro-breweries.

Doctors/Medical Care - That is probably THE biggest issue that will have us moving from Humboldt County at some point.  It takes weeks.  And now we have a shortage of primary care physicians.  A co-worker told me today it took over 3 months for her husband to get rejected for an endoscopy because both local preferred providers aren't taking new patients.  He's going to Portland - 8 hrs away - to get care.  I could go on and on and on about the medical care crisis Humboldt Co. is facing, but I won't.

TSelbs - There's a new book out that talks about the benefits of pool exercising.  I read about it my latest Ultra Runner Magazine.  Made me (almost) want to start up again!

Yesterday, core/ST for 45 min.  Today another 30 min (2 mile) run/walk.  Ran a bit more than two days ago.

Had my first chiropractic appt. today.  (1) He's young.  (2) He's a cutie.  (3) He's very nice.  (4) He said middle-aged woman who are determined to get back to their former activity levels are his favorite clients.  OK - The "middle-aged" remark almost cost him points, but the enthusiastic attitude won me over.  He also said he doesn't believe in "keep coming back to me 3x a week for the rest of your life."  Let's get this resolved and get you out of here. Dude!

We'll see what happens.  First time I've ever been to a chiropractor.  He also majored in sports medical "whatever" in college, is athletic, and teaches a sports-physiology-something-or-other class at the local community college, so he understands about athletes and their wanting to get back in the action, and  was happy I had started back running.  I'm keeping a positive attitude!

And with that said - I'm outta here.  Later ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Since it's thursday afternoon, i'll report I ran 6 on wednesday and today biking around town in warmth before twocat and start friday.

holly - what everyone else said.

everyone's cross country teams are doing so well.  GS ran a 7:40 mile yesterday.  he's hoping to beat his mom at coastwalker's great bay 5k. not sure what he con sustain for 3 miles.

good luck to MCM racers - deez & PBJ

tet - when our doc left, i got assigned to an idiot then henrun researched and found the PCP we still have and love - and he's younger then us, an important criteria these days.

marj

Tramps

good luck to MCM racers - deez & PBJ

Oops, I missed PBJ!  Go PBJ!!!  Perfect conditions for everyone.

Be safe. Be kind.