Masters Running

Fri Jan 04 Daily Runs (Read 765 times)

Just remember your question Tramps. I don't know how other people post their intervals on the forum, the numbers give me a headache to look at, but when using my Garmin, I definitely program in the rest breaks. It is kind of set up to do this anyway, you just choose either by distance or time. So I like doing, for example, half mile reps with 4 min walk breaks inbetween. The cool thing is the unit starts beeping about 10 seconds before you switch to the rep or walk break (or slow jog), so you get some warning. First time I used it, I had my ipod on and didn't really clue into the beeping feature.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Britney Spears won the Iowa caucus? I gotta start reading the paper more closely. Good to see Roy and Woody start us off. Cheers for the prodigal dog’s return. Soundie--like others, I'm impressed with that photo, impressive-looking course too. Ribs & DH—chess is the game with horsies and castles, right? Steve, Steve, Steve—do you think it’s wise for a southerner to start showing photos of ice-chunks? In that game, the northerners will bury you quicker than you can scream, “avalanche!” Heck, Tall’s running in -22F for a date! Suck it up, buddy. When it’s in the 90s with 100% humidity, then you can whine. Since I’m not training for a marathon, I ignored the advice on Holly’s speedwork thread and headed to the track today for some intervals...something I never do. I took it easy with long rests, though. I aimed for just faster than tempo pace to establish a baseline and get used to the feel of (semi-)speed. Total 6.5 miles --2 miles warm-up --5 x 800 w/400 rests (3:28, :26, :26, :23, :17) --1 mile cool down (Hmmm, while recording this, I just realized this is almost exactly my 5K pace.) [dumb questions] 1. when you record them, do you sort out the intervals from rest periods and post separately? 2. when you do intervals do you program your Garmin in advance to automatically record them, or do you just hit “lap” manually at the appropriate time? [/dumb questions]
      I love this question as it used to bother me too. Here is what I do, FWIW: 1) In your run log, enter a type of workout called "warm up-cool down", or "Recovery", whatever you want, just some place holder to indicate miles that are run at slower than GA similar to the intervals between your work sessions on the track. Put all your warm up and cooldown and the rest interval miles and times in that bucket. Then establish a type of workout called "track work" or "speed training" or "intervals" and in that one you enter 2.5 miles @ 7:20 for example for today. That is how I solved it. 2) Real runners don't wear Garmins on the track. Buy a decent watch with lap timer feature. I use a Timex Ironman. It stores all your info, keeps track of splits, you can save workouts, etc. (Insert smilie emoticon here.) Spareribs
        40 minute EZ run punctuated with speed bursts on the snowy ugly streets. Felt pretty good. Time to get rid of the December fat and trim down. 3 months till ATB race. Ganbare... Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

TammyinGP

I went to the gym on my lunch hour and did 5 miles on the TM. I'm anxiously awaiting about mid-Feb when the resolutioners will start thinning out and the gym will be back to not being so crowded in the middle of the day. sheesh - I almost had to WAIT for a TM! And I didn't want to have to resort to the women's only portion of the gym to use a TM in there. What fun is going to a health club and running on a monotonous TM if I can't have a bit of eye candy to pass the time! Roll eyes

Tammy

really suffered out there today in 66f, sunny, slight breeze. uggg, will winter's grasp ever release???? 3.5mi 8:30-ish easy. was barely warmed-up, so when i finished, i did 15min of core/balance board. might actually be so bored later as to walk the dog. what do normal people do all day... you know, people that don't run? how do they pass the time??? Confused --taper boy
              Tramps, I'm kind of like Ribs. Only more simple (interpret that any way you want). Here's how I do my intervals. Set Timex to Chrono. Do interval. Notice time. Remember in my head. Do recovery. Hit reset (from cumulative time of interval and recovery). Repeat. Big grin Remember intervals until I jot down when I get home. Or don't jot down when I get home. (Ooh, that's right. I'm now an online log girl. My one and only resolution for 2008 is to keep better track of my miles...2009 will be to keep track of my times... Wink)

Manchild

Evanflein (Eika), so happy as others have indicated, that your pooch is back safe and sound. Short week at work punctuated by a short three miler on the treadmill at 4:30 PM. Perch, Nice lobe Tongue Tall, I concur, but in the process of aging, I have become soft. Nothing's better than hitting the trails/roads/streets. "Out in the streets...." Nuff banter Cgrizzle OUT
                  No run for me today, just a 60 minute stationary bike workout followed by weight training for lower body.
                    Ok, I'm not sure if I'm a real runner or not, but I was not talking about using a Garmin on a track. I mean out and about, where you don't know what distances you are covering. If you paid 200 bones for a Garmin, you might as well use it for speedwork too, IMHO. But on a track?? Confused

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

GreenMan

Walked 4.25 miles bristly. jjj
                      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                        4 miles for me today in the late afternoon. Not my favorite time to run, but couldn't get out there earlier, and got the added bonus of 39F, instead of 18F or whatever it was this morning. Great runs, guys. Gotta feed some hungry kids - Jem

Marathon Maniac #957

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm a real runner or not, but I was not talking about using a Garmin on a track. I mean out and about, where you don't know what distances you are covering. If you paid 200 bones for a Garmin, you might as well use it for speedwork too, IMHO. But on a track?? Confused
                          I've had my Garmin since April or May, and I still don't know how to use it to do intervals. I suppose that's something I'll explore more this spring, when I'm done with this marathon nonsense...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bap

2) Real runners don't wear Garmins on the track. Spareribs
                            Why I oughta

Certified Running Coach
                            Crocked since 2013

Marathon Maniac #957

But basically, I'm just tired of the cold. ..
                              Er...Erika, no one here deserves to say that more than you, but,...well,...you may have noticed that you live in ALASKA....it sort of comes with the territory there.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Er...Erika, no one here deserves to say that more than you, but,...well,...you may have noticed that you live in ALASKA....it sort of comes with the territory there.... Smile
                                No....I think it's an actual state now.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM