Masters Running

Sunday August 5 Stormy Runs (Read 351 times)

Severe weather warning about an hour or so east of us.  Huge winds, large hail.  Glad it's not coming our direction.

Holly - If you go here, scroll about halfway down the page to between the article picture and the virtual swear jar.  It says "Not using iTunes?"  Click that, then download Episode 83.  It will download to your computer, and if you have speakers, you can listen to the podcast from there.  As far as getting it to whatever you're using while running, that's as far as my technological abilities go at this point.  Gary the Vale is who has agreed to coach me.  Keeping fingers crossed it works out for both of us!

3 miles this a.m.  We're only on the high 60's, but very humid.  After 3 EZ miles, the sweat was dripping off me.  I'm very pleased that my legs seem to be bouncing back so well.  Was able to slowly run up a decent hill without any problems.

I learned a lot running with Kate last weekend.  One big thing is to work on my EZ pace aka my "I could run like this all day" pace, and my hill climbing in the respect that I need to work on taking much smaller steps.  Even though I thought I was, I wasn't, and when I really gear down on my pace and stride, my climbing improves dramatically.

Congratulations to Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher for finishing 10th and 11th, respectively.  You done America proud, ladies!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

(((((Tom White's Back)))))

I'd love a LR like yours Perch

Doug, the views up there are amazing! Very envious over here.

It's so great to have DW back from her sister's week.

I made her blackeyed susan pancakes for breakfast. We had one regular one for Tag so we could go outside and play "frisbee keep away from Tag" with it.

We got nearly an hour on the trails today. Most of the ripe berries Tag left for us had dog slobber on them. Like TW said,"It could be worse"

I'm replacing the brakes on the truck and I saw a tie rod is starting to rust. Most times, we find out the hard way. After muttering the ....not exactly praises...of rusted on bolts, the repair is simple enough. If it happened while hauling the camper...whew...

SteveP

Holly - If you go here, scroll about halfway down the page to between the article picture and the virtual swear jar.  It says "Not using iTunes?"  Click that, then download Episode 83.  It will download to your computer, and if you have speakers, you can listen to the podcast from there.  As far as getting it to whatever you're using while running, that's as far as my technological abilities go at this point.  Gary the Vale is who has agreed to coach me.  Keeping fingers crossed it works out for both of us!

Leslie, I tried to download this, but itunes froze up on me again.... will try later.  The web site looks interesting too,

Holly, I don’t think it’s wise to run in thunderstorms either.  How about a loop that stays near your house or somewhere that would have shelter just in case?  I hope the meds you are on will work for your stomach.  I have not watched any of the Olympics other than what has been on the news.   I haven’t watched T.V hardly at all this summer. 

Jay, I’d be interested in one of your race-walking clinics.  Maybe I can find one nearby sometime.   Thanks everyone for the kudos about my greta run yesterday.  Now I need to find an 8 mile route for next weekend so will probably do the same thing with a few more blocks around the neighborhood.

DH had a restless night after his tumble yesterday and DaBack is still hurting. Of course he won't go to a doctor..  I slept great until 7:45, wow!  After enjoying our omelets with lots of peppers from the garden, then we headed out to the garden to check for more produce, lots of cukes, zukes, peppers and tomatoes.  I decided to go Sioux Falls to do some shopping, returns, etc.  I wanted new running shoes and bike shorts but the clerks in Scheel’s were most unhelpful and I left without even trying any shoes on.  I did buy a little bag for the front tube of my bike that’s nifty and some bike shorts with pockets!

I actually took my bike along with and was looking forward to bike some of the 19 mile bike trail by the falls.  Just after I took my bike off the rack I noticed that my seat was missing!  Totally gone! I had no idea where or when it disappeared.  I put the bike back on and retraced a few places, then the bike slipped and I had to put that back on,,,, twice.  I was in tears in a parking lot the 2nd time and no one even bothered to help me.  An hour later I did get home and swiped MrStarr’s bike seat since he won’t be needing it anytime soon.  It’s been a gorgeous day and it’s great to have the windows open and the AC off. 

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - bummer about your bike seat.  I have trouble with our bike rack, too.  DD's bike is such an awkward size and won't fit properly between the bars, and both of our bikes are heavy, and hard for me to lift over my head to the rack on the back of our Mountaineer.  We end up not biking much.

As for running in loops around our neighborhood, we live on a big hill, and if I am trying to do speedy paces, I try to run to a flat part.  The big hill is another reason we don't bike much - no one wants to push their bike up the hill to get home....Undecided

Steve - I love your black-eyed susan pancakes!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Now getting packed for my cycle trip this week. Anyone using the place in Good Hart, Byll? Keep anything interesting in the fridge up there?

LOL  Sorry Roch.  Renters - all booked up.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

This afternoon, we got back from our family reunion weekend in Ludington.  It was a good time but not good for attention to RA or running.  I have skimmed the daily threads but won't recap.  I did get in a 4 mile run with brother Dave (selb3) and my daughter.  A few of you are familiar with the breakwater that goes a third of a mile or so out into the lake.  That's part of a normal Ludington run.  It was quite wavy today and some waves sent spray quite a bit above and over the breakwater.  Dave and I decided it didn't look too bad but daughter Sandy thought we were nuts.  We went anyway and Sandy joined in.  We got splashed a few times including a couple head to toe ones. 

I thought of roch as I saw many bicyclists following a route through town and then camping at the local HS.  I think roch has done this ride and camped at the HS.  I stopped by and asked a few questions.  Numbers varied but I gather there were 400-500 riders participating.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS