Masters Running

Monday Feb. 4 Master-Boomers (Read 578 times)

SteveP

Spareribs, some times your post makes my brain feel all hurty inside.
    that my way of dealing with pain has always been to deny that it exists, so even if I feel a twinge today I'll probably lie to myself and say that I was imagining it. Confused Anyone else play this game?
    One version I like to play is "It's not that bad". A nice 5 miler today. It was warm enough so the snow was soft and gave way like sand yet cool enough so it didn't stick to my shoes. Kind of like running on the beach except there wern't all kind of women in bikinis bothering me and no worries about heat stroke. The runners who are sidelined...take care, but heal quick. We need your experience and wisdom.

SteveP

Darn, Holly! I wish I had read your post before I went for my noon workout. I'm going to have to try those this evening. Thanks! CNY - I'll have to give the wall sit a try as well. I love Cathe Frederick's core workout DVD's. I didn't have a good appreciation of planks until I started doing her workouts. I took it easy on my shoulder today. I was blaming hammer curls on the the stability ball, but I think it was really dips on the gravitron that put it over the edge.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Morning all. Looking forward to a run and yoga tonight and some rowing if I can squeeze it in. Once I get this brief filed, I'll be ready to relax. Didn't watch a minute of the game yesterday, spending the afternoon in the office instead. Much more quiet working outside the house. Did get in a very nice 7-mile run last evening. Debated about doing it when it was dinner time, but really glad I went out. Felt great to clear the head, not to mention the computer-screen-tired eyes. That's what running is often about. eta: hey, I"m running a Valentines' 5k this weekend called Love 'Em and Leave 'Em and entering with a male runner friend as a mixed masters team. I need to come up with a good name. He's single and dating a nice woman; I'm a bit more jaded. Any suggestions? (I was thinking Team Love Stinks. He didn't like so much. Wink)
        SteveP

eta: hey, I"m running a Valentines' 5k this weekend called Love 'Em and Leave 'Em and entering with a male runner friend as a mixed masters team. I need to come up with a good name. He's single and dating a nice woman; I'm a bit more jaded. Any suggestions? (I was thinking Team Love Stinks. He didn't like so much. Wink)
          Look back in anger Look back in fun Write your own story Love on the run Life hates a loser Look what youve done Revel in glory Love on the run

SteveP

5.6 at about 10 min pace. snowy and sloppy roads tough running today. 5 1/4 mile fartleks thrown in four good measure.
            dg.

I shouldn't complain. I've only been out of commission a couple of weeks, but it's easily the longest running layoff for me in several years. I've promised myself that my formula will be pain-free + one week before starting to run again, so on that basis I'll be jogging next Sunday or Monday. The problem is that my way of dealing with pain has always been to deny that it exists, so even if I feel a twinge today I'll probably lie to myself and say that I was imagining it. Confused Anyone else play this game? Good runs to everyone today! I'll keep checking in once in a while and try not to be too envious. Cool
              Doug, even a couple of weeks stinks. Here are 2 schedules for returning to running. I don't know which, if either, would be good for you, but some kind of schedule might help... it could help avoid that particular game. In theory, anyway... so far I play either yours or Steve's. .). http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/hamstring-rehab.html http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml The second is what perch used. (thanks Steve). The first one I'm not sure what to think about, but it's interesting. I'd be interested in any opinions from those in the know. in case you're interested, here's a pool running schedule, compliments of Euphoric. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml Thanks for all the kind words of support from everybody last weekend. Sue, I hope your shoulder is ok. {{{Tramps}}} Soundie, I'm thinking about it.
                1100 25f snowing 4mi 10-ish pace snow started at about 5000 feet on my drive up to kitt peak this morning... welcome to another mc_solar observing run Roll eyes so i took an early lunch and ran in the snow... can't remember the last time i've run in it... it was a blast! windy and cold at the peak, but down the road a little way the wind had dropped, and things were calmer and more fun. could hear the snow plow from about a mile away, and got to some pullout points both times he passed... good thing. we've got some steep drops off the edge on this road in a few places, and the plow was hauling a$$. made snowballs and hit targets while running down, and tried to get flakes to land on my tongue on the run back up the mountain. this whole past week has been a lot of fun. reminds me why i run.
                  Yes, Doug, all the time! Like you, I'm trying to be good--after running outside Sat and Sun, I went back to do 4 "miles" on the eliptical today, followed by a slow 2 miles on the treadmill. I was taking ibuprofen regularly, but really had an upset stomach (etu, Tramps!) last night.....I thought it was from the ibuprofen, but maybe it was football poisoning, ouch! {Pitchers and catchers report in 9 days, I keep repeating} Holly, my stomach hurts all over again just reading what you write. I do balance ball stuff, but that sounds like torture. Does it really help your running? And that wall sit thing is hard--I feel that in my legs, however, so I must be doing it wrong? Ribs--there's a marathon in OVerland Park around Thanksgiving. In case you have to go back. I like the Julia Child clue. Soundie--how about the Chocolate Kiss or Cocoa Hearts? Have fun! grins, A.
                  Masters 2000 miles
                    10 miles today on some long hilly roads........legs just didn't have it again, plus after 2 miles took a walk break to change the battery in my MP3 player.........every once in awhile my legs would feel great but mostly they felt like lead again......took 1hr 43minutes to get my run in but at least i put in the miles - think i'll hit the gym tomorrow for some cross training - want to try some of those ab suggestions!!

denise

I went back and read yesterday's post--TAMMY! Keep dem GJers honest! Can't wait to hear right, it's secret, shoot! You know how we say a prosecutor could indict a ham sammich--hold them to their standards of proof and shake it up, if you can! I bet you ask questions that make 'em squirm! Evil grin Wink A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        1100 25f snowing 4mi 10-ish pace
                        My computer must be acting up. 10-ish? Pullout points?? Oh, that's what you mean.... Sound - how about "what's love got to do with it?" sorry, that's all I've got. I thought about doing that race, but now I'd better try to get a LR in if I can. Did 25 crunches yesterday, that's my ab workout. My leg is loosening up. I think tomorrow I will have to try it out, very cautiously this time. I'll try to remember not to change my form this time and tighten my calf up again for 3 days. Roll eyes Seafair Half/Full Marathon - They have completely changed the course for next year. It looks awful! Start at Husky stadium in Seattle, then run across the 520 floating bridge (hoping it doesn't sink) then around Kirkland and Bellevue. So....point to point, no easy place to park, will have to take a shuttle I suppose.....sorry, I'm just kind of disappointed. It looks like they changed the route primarily to make it a lot flatter.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

Sound - how about "what's love got to do with it?" sorry, that's all I've got. I thought about doing that race, but now I'd better try to get a LR in if I can. My leg is loosening up. I think tomorrow I will have to try it out, very cautiously this time. I'll try to remember not to change my form this time and tighten my calf up again for 3 days. Roll eyes
                          Smile. that's what I came up with too. yay. good luck tomorrow.
                            My computer must be acting up. 10-ish? Pullout points?? Oh, that's what you mean....
                            Tongue downhill two miles, 8-ish, drops about 700 feet. hr = 100-ish uphill two miles, 12-ish, climbs about 700 feet, hr=140-ish
                            TammyinGP

I went back and read yesterday's post--TAMMY! Keep dem GJers honest! Can't wait to hear right, it's secret, shoot! You know how we say a prosecutor could indict a ham sammich--hold them to their standards of proof and shake it up, if you can! I bet you ask questions that make 'em squirm! Evil grin Wink A
                              LOL! I wasn't planning on reading through today's daily again since I'm not running today, but something told me too and I'm glad I did! My boss and I were just talking about this very thing . . . how I'll probably ask questions that wouldn't normally get asked because your average citizen is typically leans towards 'cops getting the bad guys and locking 'em up', so hopefully I can look at the state's evidence and ask more educated questions or have a different perspective on the type of and adequacy of the evidence presented and whether or not it's enough to indict. One GJ today asked 'how often does a GJ review an indictment and NOT sign off on the indictment" - the DA's response? "not often" Confused He said he reviews cases prior to GJ proceedings and it's really only the ones that have adequate evidence that go to GJ anyways. The ones w/o enough evidence either get tossed or sent back to the officer to get more info. It'll be interesting to be involved in this part of the justice system. Our office is already planning an inhouse CLE on grand jury proceedings and an inside peek on what goes on via tammy Cool

Tammy

To Holly and all the others doing planks: my deepest and sincerest sympathies in this time of pain. Tongue I have started doing them and while they do appear to be doing some good boy do they hurt! On the up side my abs of flab have receded a bit. Not abs of steel but maybe not flab either! Smile MC I am normally totally jealous of the fact that in the winter you are running in nice moderate temperature AZ and I am in the freezing damp northeast. Glad you are enjoying the snow. Tomorrow we have a damp, cold drizzly day scheduled around here. Well cold by absolute standards but warm by February standards. Yech is all I have to say. Today was the first daily double on Pfitz's torture plan. 5.14 miles in the AM with some friends and then 5.01 on a treadmill in the PM. Guess which run went quickly and which seemed to take two hours?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/