Masters Running

Thursday, 1.5.16 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Who had spaghetti yesterday? I see Stumpy was an 'early adopter' and had his on Tuesday.

Good run, weights & core work at the Y, Jlynne. Be patient - the crowds will fade away. As I've said before, I refuse to buy a TM, so I'm 'forced' to go outside which, on most days, I prefer.

Good 9-miler in the balmy weather Tramps. Enjoy the weather while it lasts. I don't have 'face blindness' so much, but I am terrible at remembering names. It's a good thing DW is much better at it than I so she can help out if she's around.

Good TM run for you too, Holly. I'm very glad Dexter is on the mend.

Good decision to hit the pool, Doug, and good job on getting in 1,000 yrds.

Stumpy, let me know if you enter the Half at Hampton. I won't race with you, but I will come out to cheer as you pass by.

Nice 5-miler, Marj. Good that you paid attention to the TwoCat Rain Rule.

Starr, do volunteer weeds count? I have plenty of them!

So, there is a lot of spacing out over Spacityruner?

I'm glad that you survived the year-end work crush, Leslie, and I'm sorry that youo have hammy issues, and I wish you and The Hub good luck with your plan to eat better this year.

Good job of sticking to your planned run length with your Training Partner, TwoCat. Do you think she'll get the hint? Me neither...  Sorry,, but that photo was a no-show.

Good job of keeping your 'streak, non streak' going, Enke. I signed up for a local 'Winter Warrior' program that requires each participant to run/walk at least 1 mile every day in January - skip a day and you are out. It's good motivation, which helps this time of the year.

Good pool work, Paul. Can't that contribute to your streak?

Good 2 miler on the mountain trails, Spacity.

Bummer about the loud mouth on the next TM, Flats. Maybe you should have tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to the 'no cell phone' sign. Maybe he's a resolutioner who will go away.

Good run and bike work, Labrat. So, about baby boy...?

Mike, my DW, who is one of 14, would say that you've got half a family! Good 6-miler on the TM.

Good 5.5 bluster miles, Clark.

Janie, last year is last year. Beat that cold and then get a good start on this year. You'll do great!

Good move to his the TM for your 12, Mariposai. Good work at the shelter, post-workout.

I slept all the way till 3:30 this morning, which was so much better than yesterday! Then I got up fiddled around for a bit, and headed out for an easy 5 mile walk in 26F temps with some serious wind from the SW. The weather made me appreciate my post-workout and stretching hot shower all that much more.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Happy New Year.

I'm heading out for a super slow 10k. More super slow than usual due to fact I attempted my first and possibly last stair workout ever last evening.

Make today a good one.

Oh and i didn't have spaghetti last night

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

mrrun

Another awesome ketchup from Jay - you go!

Steve - yes I'm still doing archeology.  No digs in the winter, we do clean-up of the stuff we dig up in the summer. Clean up is washing and sorting into bags.  The bags are then computerized and students and others can write papers on them.  I'd suggest contacting your local/state archeology organization.  They probably have minimal money/staff but it helps if they know where the mounds are.  There was an article on native american archeology sites in Louisiana that are being flooded by global warming.

Does anyone know what happened to tet?  I'm reading a fascinating book on Japanese running and ekiden relay races and I'd love to have his take on it.  "The Way of the Runner" by Finn

No running today - ran longer yesterday, so SRD today - probably only 3-5 miles of walking.

Enjoy your Thursday,

Marj

mta: Hi Bertha - glad to see you here!

[[janieB]]..........Wishing you Good Running and a Growth Spurt in 2017.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, we made up for being a day early on Spaghetti Day by having a day late Taco Tuesday last night.  Now I have NO idea of what we're supposed to have for dinner tonight.

I can't stop seeing Space City, but when you realize that Liz lives in (or near or did) Hot Springs and not Cape Canaveral, it makes a little more sense.

3.8 miles probably about the time Jay finished his post walk coffee.  Also 26° and rather breezy, but nailed the layers and was comfy the whole way.  Had a decent average pace, but it will be interesting to see how the up and down wind segments look on the download.

Welcom back to BerthaSlayer and Janie, too.  Hang in there--you have nowhere to go but up

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

10k complete and my butt is absolutely frozen so at least I'm feeling no pain.

I think i will make penne tonight. Does that count?

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

C-R

Wow. Jay is on a roll. Excellent recap.

I need to do more stretching like you Jay.

janie - I'm with you on a tough 2016. Keep at it in here and lets make it a renewal 2017.

I had a slow 4 miler this morning. That's five days in a row with no hurt. Keeping it slow has helped but it sure is a tough one mentally. Feeling good about the process though.

Also, I determined I have some gluten issues. Big surprise to me. Its nothing big medically but it will require a change of perspective. Makes me appreciate the challenges others face with medically required diet restrictions. A new adventure.

Cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Tramps I still talk about the race we did together oh so long ago.  Its like a badge of honor to me 

Mind blown…and embarrassed again.  Spacecity is RunninginDC?!

And Catwhoorg is Labrat? Next thing you know Steve will be telling me Bruce Wayne and Batman are the same person. (“is the same person”?) I gotta start taking notes.

BTW, I’m thinking of changing my handle to Spacadet.

Twocat—Ha, I hadn’t heard that song before.  Gimme the Wolf, though.

Holly—glad Dexter’s on the mend.  Our dog once did something that like while we were away at a state park cabin one time. We ended up having to find a local vet and a spend the day caring for her (the dog, not the vet). But 24-36 hours later she was back to normal.  We suspect she got into something poisonous but that's just a theory.

Enke—today's day 5 of your steak streak, right?

Flats—you’re a better person than I am.  With a sign right there, I would have definitely pointed it out to him…nicely….at first.

MikeWild Kingdom, indeed!

Janie—as others have noted, last year is last year.  Get over the cold, keep posting, build slowly, and this year’ll be much better. Promise.

Now Erika’s calling me “old,” too.  It must be true.

Marj—that archeology stuff is cool.  The unit I worked with (not so much me) helped set up a virtual curation lab that does 3D printing and imaging of artifacts, which has opened up all sorts of new ways to learn. Old meets new.

C-R—yep, me too; more stretching (and core work too). But it’s s-o-o-o-o boring!

I’m with Leslie and others about the need to lose a few pounds.  I eat pretty healthy but just too much for my activity level, I guess.  Beer probably doesn’t help either. Looking to lose 5-10 pounds in the coming weeks.  The first 3 or 4 are usually easy.  After that it’s seems nearly impossible. Grrr.

About 20 degrees colder today then yesterday and a dusting of snow in the forecast for tonight; our first of the season.  6-miler.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I saw a request yesterday for baby pics.

Here is my daughter (5) meeting my son for the first time

Then this is the most recent pic of baby boy (with his oldest niece who will be graduating college this summer). Shelooked after him when we went to see Rogue 1.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

digging back in memory--does Labduck fit in here anywhere?

Mind blown…and embarrassed again.  Spacecity is RunninginDC?!

And Catwhoorg is Labrat? Next thing you know Steve will be telling me Bruce Wayne and Batman are the same person. (“is the same person”?) I gotta start taking notes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

catwhoorg

Labrat

A labrat not THE Labrat

lamerunner

Good morning.  With all the wonderful folks returning to post, I figured I should check back in also. Hi Tramps! 2016 was not a great running year for me. My balky left knee has been acting up much more since mid-summer. I got another cortisone shot, but it is pretty unreliable. Depending on what else I try to do, I can run maybe 3-4 times a week. I ran Tuesday morning on a snowy but groomed rail trail near my mid-week digs in Vermont. I had planned to run this morning but was home in NH and had a drive to get to work, plus it was cold, dark and windy, so I did not get up in time. Maybe a swim later.  I think it is time to at least try to gel injection thing for the knee. I was able to do a longish snowy hike last weekend, but my knee stiff afterwards.

DS continues to struggle with his eye. Early last February, he was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasitic infection which is extremely hard to treat. After making progress last spring on first line topical drugs, he had a big setback this summer and eventually tried a systemic drug which has been used to treat a related parasite in India and on occasion, brain eating amoeba here in the U.S. At this point, we think the bug is dead, but there is a lot of damage to his cornea, and still no vision in that eye. Corneal transplant is almost certain; we just hope we can get him through his senior year of high school beforehand. Doctors prefer to have as quiet a cornea as possible before doing the surgery.  he is skiing though and has learned to race and handle  his life with one eye. It has been stressful to say the least. College applications are in though! We shall see what happens...

I agree with Mike about pushing oneself out there; with both running and swimming, I sometimes don't feel like it but know I will likely feel much better if I do something, so I give myself permission to stop early and usually do a regular workout.

Our DD's cat lives with us now and has been a source of delight; she is 2 and still kitten-like, though a  source of some consternation to the 19 year old Siamese..

Happy new year!

Marathon Maniac #957

Love the baby and DD pics - adorable!

Tramps - we wondered about poisoning, especially I was wondering of DH dropped one of his pills when taking his daily meds (he takes 5/day), but we may never know.  The vet said his symptoms were contradictory.  Dexter is still not fully back, and was very stiff this morning, but he was moving better after a couple hours of being up.

Bertha and Lame and C-R - nice to see you again!

Not much time this morning before an early meeting, so 4 miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..Labrat//......what a Beautiful Kiddo........

Welcome Back lamerunner, does Tramps look Old to you??

just kiddin'

==============

..but I digress......

.they say 19-degrees with WindChill, dunno about that but it's COLD

..35-min HH on Greenway

and

40-min PoolRun

.............good running guys..............Mind Your Footing..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 in low 40s weather.

Locally (Atlanta) people are going crazy as the possible snow tomorrow. Panic buying as usual.

now for the screenname

In simple terms Cat_who_organises is the origin.

In the Star Fleet Universe (think original Star Trek) but it diverged and added as the games Star Fleet Battles/ Federation and Empire and others developed over the last 40 years, the Kzinti (who appeared in the animated Star Trek series and are part of the universe are given 'Federation names' along the lines of Cat_who...

The Organises moniker was bestowed upon me by some friends as I pulled together an online game literally spanning Europe (UK, France, Sweden, Italy) using E-mail, early versions of chat and a program that recorded the moves of pieces on a board.

Almost immediately that shrunk to Catwhorg due to 8 character limitations of early computer systems which is just ugly to my eye. As soon as possible the double 'oo' returned and Catwhoorg became my internet name. Probably more people know me by that moniker through City of Heroes than any other game/forum identity, but it has been around a long time (over 20 years now), and isn't going away.

Almost anywhere on the internet you see a Catwhoorg, the person behind that moniker is me.

Where possible my real name is registered to any profile, I have this thing about standing by my words, and having a real name tagged to them is part of that.