Masters Running

Sunday Jan 3, 2010 Where Is Everyone? (Read 410 times)

I Can Go The Distance

Wake up and run everyone. How can a guy living on the West Coast be the first one to post? IRC today 61 and no wind. I did 8 miles in 1:18:19 (9:48/mi). Off to church now, will post more later.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yea Bruce - where is everyone!?    Thanks for starting us off!  

I joined the more miles then degree club this morning.  1 degree - 4 miles   Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning

Nice runs already Bruce and Mary---although quite the contrast in conditions. My 4 mile run was more like Mary's. When the wind blew it was more miles than degrees. The kiddo had a hockey game this morning and then I headed out for a few miles. Glad to be back inside and warming up.

Good day all

Good morning!  Thanks for starting, Bruce.

Today's long run was cut (very) short for a variety of reasons.  Mostly I wanted to be with the family, but some of it was the cold and wind.  Probably most of it was just me wimping out Smile.

It was funny -- when I was running with the wind I was thinking "ok, go at least 12 or 13" and when I was running against the wind it was more like "9 will be enough".  Unfortunately, coming up on 9 was into the wind, so that is what won out 

9.1 miles, 1:24:39, 9:16/mi, AHR 144 (70% MHR)

Didn't quite get more miles than degrees unless you count the wind-chill.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Tom—heckuva race yesterday in some really frigid temps!

Eliz—great story about inspiring your neighbor. 

PDR—really nice obituary for your dad; thanks for sharing.

Mari—what did you end up renting?  (I just watched "District 9;" creative premise but could have been much better.)

Leslie—that chocolate ad was hilarious—and an excellent run!

Karin—Wow!  Quite a race; well done.  Did you post how DS liked the Winter Classic?  (I might have missed it.)  Fun to watch on TV; the atmosphere (if not the view) must have been great in person.

Steve—you are one of a kind.

Erika—now that’s cold.  Good luck getting the tendonitis under control.

Hey, I get to join the more miles than degrees club---with an asterisk.  17F at the start of an 18-mile run ; balmy 24F by the end though, so I'm not sure if that really counts. Darn.

Good stiff wind all the way, though.  (That counts for something, right?)  I dug out a very old polypro balaclava from winter hiking and x-c skiing days and it was much appreciated along with a new glove/mitten combo my DW just bought me.  This was my Hillypalooza route and the wind was brutal coming down off the top of each hill.  Ran 8:33 pace but had several untimed stops to deal with gear issues, especially freezing Fuel Belt bottles.  I think I broke one of them trying to get a frozen cap open.  I finally figured out that if I wrapped a bottle in the extra hat I brought (but didn't wear) and stuffed it into my pants pocket I could thaw out a bottle enough to drink the icy slush. Not a problem I usually have!  I was running thinking, "Yeah, it's a challenge but this is so much nicer than August heat and humidity!"

Be safe. Be kind.

Nice wake up call Bruce, 

Way to go Mary! 

Club run w/ 10 other brave souls, we didn't quite qualify for the "club" 6.5 miles in 7F,  wind chill ? 20 mph wind but we don't really feel it on this tree lined park course, 3 more inches of snow really made the going slow, our 9:58 pace felt like 8:45 really hard to get up the hills.

Tramps 18 miles in that weather should qualify you no matter what the finish temp.   

Stay warm   

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

http://jimrhoades.com/10/1<wbr>st/

cool picture of Henry on page 101 and i'm on page 43 and pg 90 ..... really need to start my diet looking at these pics but at least i have my running smile on!!

now heading out for a few miles in my yak trax!!

denise

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning!!

40s and dry here north of Seattle,just took full advantage of the nice running conditions and had a great 7.25 mile run with a friend, good running and good conversation yeah!! Too bad that after I'm done with my hot chocolate I've got to get ready to go off to work   .

Happy Sunday!!

Francesca

Marathon Maniac #957

CNYrunner – you are amazing to have finished 26 miles in the cold and wind and blowing snow – and the only one tough enough to make it that far!  Knowing you, though, it is no surprise to me that you are made of sterner stuff than most – great job!

TomS – you also get the Tough Stuff award in my book for racing in 4° and strong wind - it would have been hard to get me out the door at all in those conditions –  and you raced well, too, getting 2nd AG – great job!

SteveP – what a hoot!

Tramps – I cannot agree…..nope, not even close…..and in August, the water fountains on the river path are turned on…..and there are portopotties…..

Denise – great pics – I love your smile! 

6° and windy was enough to keep this runner indoors again, running 7 recovery-paced miles (10:31) on the TM before church, followed by weighted squats, dead lifts and weighted duck squats. 

I think part of what deters me from outdoor runs in these temps is the time factor – it takes me so long to get dressed and layered for the cold, and when I only have a certain amount of time in the morning before work or other obligations, I would rather run an extra mile or two then spend that time dressing and undressing.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I know what you mean, Holly. Sometimes it just feels like such an ordeal... I'll admit that's what kept me on the treadmill on Thursday's run.

I think I'll stay off the stoopid foot for awhile. Not sure how long. It seemed to be getting better, it really did, and then the setback. Hope to have the time to head to the gym again today for more weights (didn't have time for legs/abs yesterday) and a pool run. It's cold again this morning, but will warm up quite a bit tomorrow (could get above zero in town!)

Denise, great pictures! 

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps.. that counts

It took me longer to dress than run. Twoday it was two cold (teens) so I wore two pairs of socks, two pants, two shirts, two pairs of gloves, two hats.... the dogs wore noithing!  Only 3 miles to bump the weeks total just over 40.

Then total body workout using my new Rubberbanditz system (www.rubberbanditz.com) (Ari lives near me and is a funny guy... watch the demo video)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Holy carp, Steve... I'd die of overheating!!

thanks Holly and Erika - glad you like the pics -- doesnt Henry just look AWESOME!!!!

holly - i love those workouts you do - you are amazing!!  tomorrow i start some serious strength training - need to get in a good routine

bruce - i would love those temps right now!!

erika - hope your foot feels better soon - such a bummer!

karin and tramps -- great runs in these cold temps

franesca - great start to the new year too!

steve - that's a lot of layers!! lol but i layer my upper body more then the rest of me is fine

lou - 9 miles is more than fine in that weather!!

today's run 26 degrees with wind that was at times stinging my face and other times felt non-existent

4.1 miles in 41:57 -- with a pit stop at market basket to buy a loaf of italian bread to go with the split pea and ham soup i made this morning!!

i have really good cold weather gear pants so very rarely need a second layer - bought them 3 or 4 years ago at an outlet sale and they have held up really well!!  upper body i wear a tech long sleeve shirt, cold weather gear top and my neon yellow Boston volunteer jacket - almost didnt need that layer but i figure it keeps me visible to those crazy drivers......one pair of socks, gloves, running beanie and my YAK TRAX!!

denise

CNY, you are one tough lady (we already knew that, though) running marathon distance in terrible conditions to go farther than anyone else in the 50K.  evan, I'm sorry to hear your foot is still "iffy".  It sounds like you are trying to not push it too hard.  Congrats to the "more miles than degrees" runners.

Nice long runs for holly, dg, fatozzig, and tramps.

This morning, it was about 5° and windy.  I rationalized that I had done that combination yesterday so did 6 miles on the TM at 6.1 mph (9:50/mi).

My wife's 95 year old father has been in the hospital with pneumonia for almost a week.  This has been aggravated by what is probably a bowel obstruction.  Surgery is being debated but, due to his age and the pneumonia, they are concerned they'd have to put him on a ventilator and he might not be able to come back around after that.  One consolation  is that he is not uncomfortable and is not aware how precarious his situation is.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

SteveP

(((((Erika's Foot)))))

(((((TomS family)))))

11F 20 mph winds...IRC...

The dog wore his orange long sleeved football jersey.

We went 5.25 miles on a new trail. The first two miles were down hill....The last two were not so much. The wind kept blowing the hood off of my Batman sweat shirt.

SteveP