Masters Running

Tuesday, 11.10.15 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

WC, my draw drops both when I read about your races, and when I see the photos of the courses that you run - both are spectacular! USATF is a bit of a squirrely organization, isn't it? Great blackout/cup a' coffee story.

Evanflein, although I have lots of leaves still littering my yard, I don't think I'm quite ready to trade them for snow just yet.

TW - I also wonder what AD thinks about horses? Does he just see them as very big and strange dogs?

Yes you are, Aamos - yes you are...

Congrats on the Zombie escapes on your 8 miler, TwoCat. Sorry about the Garmin mischarge.

Good for you for sleeping in Leslie!

Nice 5er with abs, holly.

Moebo, nice windless 5er for you too!

Sounds like capris and gloves made for a good run, Jlynne.

Heal well & quickly, Marj!

I'm sorry about the slow recovery/return to running, Mike. Good job of adjusting your work schedule (if you are still there) so you can work with the cross country team next year. It'll be good for them and you.

Nice lunch & run, Starr. I also hope the shot works for you.

Congrats on the budget work, and on getting more people who need it into housing, Mariposai. We all knew you were the right person for that job!

Yes, we adjusted the results of Sunday's half after DQing the woman who ran with someone else's bib. Unfortunately, no tips on the hit-and-run driver.

We presented our conservation commission's town warrant articles to the Board of Selectmen last night. No final decisions, but they seem favorably disposed toward 3 of the 4 we discussed.

I (finally) had a good night's sleep last night, after a week of not-so-goods. I'm still not working out, but I was still up at 3:45 and I spent the time reading. I'll be doing some leaf blowing cross training this afternoon, hoping to get the job done before tonight's rain. DW and our niece leave for a trade conference tomorrow morning, so I'll be making a run to the airport. I'll be following them early on Friday morning.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Starr, I'll run with you for a few miles, and will be there for you at the finish, but have to run alone for most of the race, as I have discovered that I need alone-time to cope with a race situation.  Classic introvert.  If I end up doing a bunch of walking, however... I will look for you and see if we can walk together!  Let me know whether you want to do the half or the whole and I'll train accordingly!

King of PhotoShop

Get well soon Marj.

Jay, nice job on the race, the best part being the $86,000!

Any race that defeats Aamos must be some heck of a tough one.

Nice to hear from Econo.

Thanks all for the kind words about the sweet potato dish, but I found it all way too sweet, although the family liked it. They may have been lying out of kindness to me.  But I don't like a dish that is all sweet. Consider that in addition to the potatoes, it also had figs, which are wicked sweet, and a balsamic vinegar reduction sweetened with caster sugar. Now that is sweet.  Would have been better with a lemony vinaigrette I think.

Twocat, that posole dish is a winner and for those of you who have not made posole, I urge you to try it, simply because hominy is delicious and you seldom see it in recipes.

Missed yesterday here because I played in a bridge tournament.  Made a dumb carding error on the last play of the match which cost us two places in the standings. Finished third. Coulda won.  Old people get tired toward the end of a bridge match, kinda like chess.

Four miles with the Saint on a gorgeous morning.  Spareribs

{{{Marj!!}}}  Take care of that rib, lady.

Posie - I am not surprised that with you at the helm, more people have been helped.  It's in your DNA.

Jay - Nothing beats a good night's sleep, especially when such a thing has been eluding you.

A type of trail run marathon meet up to consider is a rails-to-trails type of run.  It's generally flat with good footing.  I did one in Susanville called the Bizz Johnson a few years ago.  It's a beautiful course, and someday I'd like to go back and try the 50k they've instituted.  Susanville's pretty out of the way and ain't much happenin' there on a general basis.

We had our first cold snap last night, so it was somewhere around the mid 30's this morning at o-dark 30.  I wore my winter tights this morning, which I only wore maybe 2 times last fall/winter.  Everything stayed pretty warm, except for my hands.  I need to find my thicker gloves.  But - it was 5 miles with instructions to just run easy, even walk if I wanted.  I have some kind of tightness going on in my left glute, which is pulling on my hip flexor.  Need to find my ball to roll around on.  Other than that, it was a pleasant - albeit snot-filled - run.

Enjoy the day ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

[[[[[marj]]]]

....20-min elliptical

and

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, deo

.........one of my uncles just died up in Ky,

so may be off-line for a while

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Starr, I'll run with you for a few miles,,,,,,,,,,,  Classic introvert. 

..I've met her, she's not.........you will have a Blast Starr//////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I just spent some time catching up - wow seems like a lot going on, some hot races and some spectacular scenery - last week was very busy for me and I was with Mr. Blue Eyes all weekend and so not reading RA.

Portland sounds exciting to me!  Close by and so many potential RA peeps to meet.  I could go slow!  BE's parents live 30 minutes or less from Portland.

Holly wow, what a horror story about AT&T.  I would have given up and cancelled everything with them after the first few hours.  I thought my one hour phone call with Century Link to get a landline service started was outrageous.

Marj -- sorry to hear about the fall.  Hope you heal up quickly!

Last week, busy, in a good way.  I had 2 face to face job interviews and one phone screen.  I don't get my hopes up anymore about getting an offer, but it was nice just to get interviews after little success that way all year.  At least it is good practice.

I ran 10 K on Saturday from BE's place - up to Green Lake, round and back.  I'm liking that route.  I'm liking him.  It's our 5 month anniversary today!!  We went bike shopping Saturday.  He plans to buy *another* carbon fiber bike, soon.  He had me try out a woman's bike.  I sure would love to have one, but nope, that kind of bike is just not in my budget!!  Sunday we did a long walk with Remi, and I got soaked, but it was over 50F, so I did not get too chilled.  I have tomorrow off so plan to do to longish run, and then since it is Wednesday tomorrow... I get to see my sweetie again.

My knee has been hurting a bit again, so it might be a good thing for me to start some bike riding, eh?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Econo you have to get up in front of lots of students over and over and give lectures. Just what kind of introvert are you? A "no problem public speaking" kind? I sort of think that makes you a not introvert. 

I got up early. Not coastwalker early, but early enough that I started my run in the dark. Tossed on my Reach the Beach Relay equipment and headed out the door.

<Innumeracy Ran On> Somebody has to teach weather forecasters about what it means to assign a probability to an event. Last night it said chance of rain this morning 100%.  I went to bed thinking I would use the elliptical today. I woke up and it said 0% chance of rain in the morning, and it did not rain. Now, if you say a future event is 0% or 100% sure it does not matter how much new data arrives. Your update of the event's probability has to stay put at either 0% or 100%. Something called Bayes' Law at work here. What my weather app should have said is 50% or something close to that last night. Then as the time approached the probability should have drifted towards 0%. Really, if you are going to run a weather forecasting service you really need to know how to update probabilities!  <Rant Off>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I haven't posted for several days and have some catching up to do.  henrun, nice 5K, fastest of the year.  tet, good job on another marathon.  Holly, what a frustrating mess with the phone company.  I'm glad you got something of a resolution.  marj, I'm sorry to hear about the fall and cracked rib.  I hope you heal quickly.  tomw and starr, neat picture of Claire and the horse.  Aamos, way to tough it out in a miserable marathon.  econo, congrats on 1st in AG in your trail race.  Jay, congrats on a successful half.  It's too bad the hit and run driver hasn't been found.  wild, good job at Moab.  Twocat, re your rant.  I'm not sure my beef is the same as yours but I'm always bothered by predictions of 0% or 100%.  Since percent predictions are probabilities, they are generally not guarantees.  To me, 0% and 100% are exceptions to this idea and hit me as guarantees of what will happen.  I guess that if it's currently raining, I wouldn't object to a 100% prediction of rain  Perhaps, in Arizona, in the middle of summer, I might not be bothered by a 0% prediction of rain.

This morning, it was in the low 40s, it was almost calm, and I encountered a few stray rain drops.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:14 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hey Ribs, what Tom said--I wasn't defeated (won my AG and was 16th overall), I toughed it out, (just barely).    Thank you, Mr. S.  --Sorry about your bridge miscue, but just shows you're human.  I respect you a lot for posting about it.   For true.

Yes, econo is a charming lady.  If she keeps it up, I may live to renege on my intention to stop going off to far-flung marathons.   And if tet really and truly will be there and not in Japan.....

Veteran's Day race in the morning, and free tall SB for Veterans and families.  I got me a cash cow there in DH1

Still feeling warmish.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

The whole rain prediction thing drives The Hub crazy.  Case in point - Sunday there was a 100% chance of rain with clear skies the rest of the week, so he decided not to work - and after 3 weeks off, he has a lot of catching up to do.  Did it rain?  No!  Did it rain yesterday (Monday)?  Yes!  *sigh*

Tselbs - You and I were just about twins this a.m. on the running front.

Portland Marathon, huh?  Probably wouldn't run it, but . . . .

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Been checking in, but not posting much. Still on my 30 minute walk/run about 4 days a week. It keeps me sane.

As some of you know, my husband has been going through treatment for cancer. His cancer has progressed, so tomorrow John and I head to NIH, to see if he qualifies for a clinical trial. This has been quite a journey getting him to this place, but this is what running trains us for - life.

As for Econo - she gives introverts a good name!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, La T - sending prayers and healing hopes for your DH.  Like Slo says, cancer F-n sucks....

Leslie - Portland maybe?  I have so wanted to meet you lady!

5.2 miles on the TM this morning for me, plus 45 minute Body Blast class tonight with my friend Renee.  I am beginning to feel like a runner again.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow--La Tortuga--I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.  I will add you both to my prayers.

moebo

La T, sending positive thoughts for your husband (and you).

--Moe