Masters Running

40s and Beyond On the Run - Even When You Think You Can't . . . (Wk of 10/12/08) (Read 606 times)

I made it! Not even close to the time frame in which I was hoping, but I made it! 6:00:11 (something like that). The last 8 miles were really hard. Not only did my legs decide to poop out on me, my left hip/hip flexor kept trying to seize up on me. At times, it literally stopped me in my tracks, feeling like someone stuck a red hot poker from my butt through to the front. Stretch it out a lot, and walked a lot of the last 8 miles. With a little less than 1.5 miles to go, came upon a guy who was struggling as much as I was, so I said, "Wanna limp/run/walk in together?" Couldn't believe it when I looked at my Garmin coming into the end and we were doing a 10:08 mm. Crossed the line together. Very cool. Made the mistake of walking through Wal-Mart to get some eye drops - and found this nice big container of white powder donuts! Big grin So I am sitting here, after eating a couple of pieces of pizza, and stuffing my piehole with donuts and milk. Mmmmmmm! Lots more to say, but I'm pooped, so I will fill you in on the rest later. Re weather report - it was so frigging cold this morning!! When we left the hotel, it was 18 degrees!! Shocked I literally did not feel like I warmed up totally until about Mile 18/19. Had my gloves on until about Mile 22. Okay, me compadres . . . Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I realize it's looooong. I do have my own web site but it's not up to date and who knows when it will be (another project for me) so here it is...... Iroquois Trail 100 Report 2008 “Are you ready?” my Dad asked. “I don’t know.” I said. “What do you mean you don’t know? Of course, you’re ready. You’ve been training for this all year” he said. This was the conversation I had with my Dad over the phone the night before my first 100 mile run. We got to Virgil, NY and the Gatherings Restaurant, which was also the start/finish area, in time to pick up my number, eat at the pre-race pasta dinner and attend the pre-race meeting where Ian Golden, the RD, explained everything he could about the race. After the meeting, we set up our tent and accepted an offer to go sit next to someone’s campfire. It was turning into a chilly night so the heat felt good. There were two women at the fire who were in the 50m race, Jim who was doing the 100 and Ed who was in the 100 as well with his wife there to support him. We all chatted for a while and once the fire started dwindling decided it was time for bed. I slept pretty well for most of the night however I woke up early with the pre-race jitters and couldn’t go back to sleep. At 5am the alarm went off-just as I was falling back asleep. I got up, got dressed and tried to eat some breakfast. Normally, eating breakfast is not a problem for me but I wasn’t that hungry this morning. I noticed the time and figured I better get down to the start line. The Gatherings also has seven cabins available for rent and the start line was marked by a couple of tiki torches on either side of the gravel road that accessed them. At 6:30am Ian said to go and we all went down the driveway and turned left towards the first loop which was up a ski trail at Greek Peak ski area. Coming from VT, Greek Peak doesn’t have much vertical but it goes up quickly. Everyone was walking and by the time we reached the top, the sun was coming up. Luckily, what you go up you get to come back down and all roads lead back to the Gatherings. I did the first loop (a little over 6m) in just over an hour which was what I had planned on. Jack was at the aid station waiting for me with a big smile on his face-he had gone back to sleep after I left. I didn’t really need anything and wasn’t going to change into dry shoes like other runners, so I checked in and checked out following the person in front me to know where to go next. The second section was out to another loop. This part of the course was on the Finger Lakes Trail and was sweet with soft pine needles and dirt under foot which made for a nice cruise. Eventually, you come out on to a hard packed, gravel road which leads to the Pipeline aid station. After going downhill on a paved road and down some more on a dirt road, you turned and started going up a service road under some power lines. I almost got off-course by going straight at the top of the hill. Some other runners found the course ribbons and we turned left to go down what we had just come up. By the time I got back to the Pipeline aid station, my hydration pack was feeling pretty light so I switched to my fuel belt. I also had caught up to a couple of runners-Steve, who was doing the 50m race and Liam, who was also in the 100. I ran with Liam and Steve all the way back to the Gatherings. Jack had my fuel belt bottles ready along with some GUs to get me in and out quickly. I did go look to get something to eat at the aid station but nothing was really catching my eye. I had been eating GUs along the way and wasn’t that hungry. I got directions on where to go next and also followed the guy in front of me to find the trail. This last out and back section of the course plunges you into the darkness of pine trees and sends your heart rate right up with the steepness. It wasn’t long before you reached the top and it was an easy run to the Greek Peak aid station. By this time, I think I had caught up to Steve again and we were chatting while we ran. We had briefly met at the pre-race dinner and both of us had completed the Jay Ultimate XC Marathon. We stayed together through the Rock Pile aid station and out to the Daisy Hollow aid station. Our significant others’ were becoming friends as well. The course out to Daisy Hollow was a mixture of trails and dirt roads. The youth groups hiking on the trail were nice to move over and let us by. I had to make a pit stop after leaving Daisy Hollow and Steve got ahead of me. His competitive juices must have been flowing because I didn’t catch him until almost reaching the Rock Pile aid station again. Another quick bottle switch, more GUs and sips of Coke and we were off. We had to remind ourselves to run the roads in between the trail sections. Did anyone else notice the heart monitor strap hanging over the big white road sign? We kept our stop short at the Greek Peak station since the Gatherings was only 3.5m away. I had been leading most of the way and after Greek Peak I eventually lost Steve. I wasn’t too worried since he was finishing his race. I knew he was doing better than he planned and went on to finish fourth overall for the 50m which is fantastic since it was his first 50 miler. Of all the sections, I wasn’t looking forward to doing the first loop again. When I came in, it was reassuring to see Jack already dressed to run. I grabbed some potatoes and headed out. Jason Rita, who was in second place overall, had just left and Jack thought I could catch him. I saw him ahead of me going across the field towards the ski slope. We both walked up however by the time I got to the top he was gone. I followed him around the loop-him not slowing down and I wasn’t motivated enough to try and catch him. When I got back to the Gatherings, Jack was waiting for me and it was time to get ready for the night. I switched to a long sleeve shirt and kept my fuel belt. The plan was to switch to the hydration pack for the last 26m. I had some more potatoes while we walked up the road. Once in the woods we started running and since Jack hadn’t run yet today, he was ready to move. Along the way, my stomach started getting a little queasy. It had been happening off and on all day and was usually solved by eating something but this time I knew it was because I was too hot so I took it off my long sleeved shirt and then felt better. We met Yassine just before reaching the gravel road and he told me I was in second place. I hadn’t noticed if Jason left the Gatherings before me and couldn’t believe I was in second! I finally assumed that Jason was ahead of me and Yassine didn’t see him on the Tuller Hill loop. The volunteers at the aid station confirmed I was in second place-no one else had been through except Yassine. The Tuller Hill loop was dark and lonely with only four glow sticks towards the top of the hill. I was moving along but I had to keep asking Jack to wait for me. One of the volunteers and her daughter came down the hill to walk up with us to Pipeline which was sweet. Luckily we went through early enough to miss the race car traffic. On our way back to Gatherings, we finally started to passing runners going the other way. I was wondering where everyone else was. We passed the second place woman with her pacer and she enthusiastically cheered me on. I was sad to find out later that she had dropped. Later I commented about being tired and questioning if I could keep going but Jack just ignored it and said let’s go. I figured he would say that which was reassuring to me. Back at Gatherings, I got my hydration pack, a few potatoes and headed out for the last 26m. The plan was to make it out to Daisy Hollow by 2am (2:15am at the latest) and make it back under 24 hours. The first uphill went slow and I was glad to reach the power lines. Jason caught me just before the Greek Peak aid station and we played catch up for most of the night. He would get ahead but would still be at the aid station when I got there. He would leave and I would catch him at the next one. I knew the distances between the aid stations but in the dark it’s hard to tell where you are. I kept looking at my watch and looking for the lights of the aid stations. I got to Daisy Hollow by 2:15am and Jason was there changing his socks. I left before him but my right IT band had started to tighten up so that I was having a hard time running. I usually can change my gait to compensate but not this time. Walking felt faster and it was less painful than trying to run. It wasn’t long before Jason motored right by me and that was the last I saw of him. We passed a few runners again on our way back. I remember seeing John around the howling dog section. I kept looking at my watch and wishing to see the next aid station around every corner. I was walking as quickly as I could and we finally got to the Rock Pile. I took a cup of soup with me-graciously declining the invitation to sit at the fire and eat- so I could keep moving forward. I realized on my way to Geek Peak that I wasn’t going to finish under 24 hrs. I was disappointed but on the flip side I knew I was going to finish (goal #1) and I felt confident I could finish under 25 hrs (goal #2-finish under 30hrs). I didn’t want to stop at Greek Peak but Jack made me so I could eat something. Ian was there and I pitched the idea of numbering the sections to make following the course easier. It was only 3.5m to the finish. I thought I negotiated the last downhill, single track section pretty well considering the tightness in my IT band was spreading to the top of my calf. We came out of the darkness in the pine trees and into the glow of my second sunrise on the dirt road leading to the Gatherings and the finish line. I pointed out the first loop to Jack as we went by and suggested he could go check it out then he would know the whole course. He didn’t take me up on it. I started some sort of shuffle just before the driveway and ran across the finish line (goal #3-run across finish line, not crawl). Jack ran ahead to get the camera and Ian was there to see me finish as well as a few volunteers. Thanks to Jack for his support-luckily, it didn’t break our relationship and thank you to the volunteers who also contributed to my successful finish. Ian was kind enough to let us use the shower in his cabin which felt wonderful. We napped for a little while after but it was hard to get comfortable and I was afraid of getting really stiff so I got up, made a few phone calls to let family and friends know that I had finished and walked to the finish area to see who else had come in. Breakfast was ready and the burritos were an excellent idea. The homemade breads and cookies were delicious too. The hand made coffee mug awards kept the personal touch ambiance that Ian and his volunteers had established with this race. Fifteen out of twenty-six finished the 100 m course so with the small group of runners and support crews (our thoughts with the three others who were still out there) the award ceremony was intimate and emotional. Thanks again to Ian and I’m looking forward to my next 100 miler. Finish time 24:38; 3rd place overall and 1st Female Another cool thing-Female course record holder since this was the first year for this race. I also beat the first 50m Female finisher so I'm listed with that record too-10:30 Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        SWEET report, Kelly! You and Jack have gotten through two 100-milers this year together - and you're still together. Think you have a fairly strong relationship there. Smile Thanks for sharing, kiddo. We're very proud of you. Big grin

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly - well, I'm just in awe. The way you write about ultra-running makes it sound as though it's relatively easy for you, which I know it's not, but other people are always talking about puking, crying, hallucinating etc., whereas you sound like a well-oiled machine with a purpose...and you've got the course record for the 100 AND the 50!!! Shocked ) to prove it! Congratulation again. Now - Leslie? Arla MTA: kudos to Jack on the support, too!

Ex runner

Way to go Leslie.....you did it! Now we expect a full race report with pics when you are ready. Woohoo! You have really done some great training and many more races await you! You deserved those white powdery donuts and milk. What a fabulous race report Kelly.......I didn't skip a word reading it......kinda emotional but yet very inspiring. You really have a gift for running and you train very very hard. Congrats! Loved the part when you said you were having some doubts and Jack said, "let's go". Way to go Arla on a nice n' hilly 12-miler. Woot, woot! The guy you ran with, well....that's just like icing on the cake. Have a super Monday everyone......back to the ole work week. Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              Ultra...just incredible! What an experience! And Fattozig!!!!! Nice going. You ran a gutsy race.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Way to Go Kelly and Leslie!!! You guys Rock!!! 100 miles is just incredible!!! Excellent pace for you Leslie as well!

Leslie and Kelly, what you girls have accomplished is absolutely amazing! I'm so proud of you both. The atmosphere surrounding trail and ultra racing sounds so wonderful and supportive....if only you didn't have to run so danged far Wink
                  Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Good Monday Morning folks! Kelly: What can I say that hasn't already been said? Congratulations on a race well run. A report well written. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! Your approach is both humble & inspirational...Much for you to be proud of!! I know we're all proud of you in here! Hope your ITBS is coming along better...glad you're getting some runs in! Leslie: I don't remember seeing a box of powdered sugar donuts on the 'recovery foods' list!? Big grin I know what those things look like...I get them for the grandkids....they think they go really well w/chocolate milk! Congrats on getting it done! Looking fwd to your RR! ~~Arla got to run w/a hunk!!~~ Cool cake is always best w/icing! Wink glad your tests came back good! Football rivalries?!?! I thought it was just a friendly discussion.... Evil grin Well, I went out for a coupla short, slow slogs this wknd....hip/leg doing better, still shuffle/walk wu/cd.. but now I feel soooo slow after all this time off stuff...Oh, & Garmin doesn't really like heavy cloud cover....at one point I was jogging up a little incline (feeling like an 11ish pace) & looked down to see how my HR was doing (had a little wine yesterday so running a little elevated) & it says I'm running @ a 19+mm pace! Surprised wth!? I don't even limp/walk that slow as a norm! weird!
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Way to gut it out Leslie, good job on finishing strong. Looking forward to the full report! Awesome race and report Kelly. I can't imagine running for 24hrs straight. I find the potatoes for fuel interesting. Sounds like just staying on course was challenging at times. Evry, it was the 88 Holiday Bowl and your Cowboys won handily!! Congrats on knocking off ol Mizzoo!! I didn't get to go to many Wyo games as we usually had college rodeos, but I did get to see Wyo knock off a Jim Mc Mann qb'ed BYU team with a little home field advantage. Hard to complete a pass when you can't even see your recievers in a full on white out, blizzard condition game. Arla great to see all that training paying off, pulling those hills easily. Ran into one of my High School buds at a HS x-country conference meet and hung out walking back and forth to catch the runners. His son got second btw but walking uphill back to the parking lot he (dad) was clearly winded and it was nothing. He could put me to shame back in the day but these days his job makes it pretty tough for him to stay in shape. Cindy really cute pic of the GD, Lynda had her picked out before she saw the caption!! Hope the hip keeps improving. You probably aren't really slower, just feels that way, chalk it up to the taper, albeit injury/owie induced maybe a little premature. Jonathans advice to us the week before any race was just run enough to feel like a runner and wouldn't define it more than that. Carol getting a charge out of your mother fretting about her race. Our lady cross country coach here has a 72 yr old mom that usually wins her age group in the Boulder Bolder, she got second this year and was so disgusted even though she probably beats most of the folks there of all ages. Joe you got this in the bag I think, training very well by golly! And your still my hero in the I wish I could do that kind of way not in the run into burning building sort of way, tho you might might do that also!! Wink Name Jewels age 40-49 X distance half marathon X sign here__________________ See its not that hard. Wink Hi to anyone else out there.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Name Jewels age 40-49 X distance half marathon X sign here__________________ See its not that hard. Wink .
                        Uhrrrm, Jim....mebbe you should just go down there & pace her Wink isn't it a quiet time of yr for you? & Lynda (Hi!) should be ready to run one too (racing is irrelevant)
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          Aren't you just full of it today Mr. Jim? Just kidding......Cindy gave ya a little "back at ya" comment. Thanks Cindy! Big grin Didn't get to run this morning so I tried, and I mean tried to run when I got home from work but only got in 3 before I felt too overheated. 85 freaking degrees......that's what I get for trying to run at 2:30 in the afternoon. I'll have to continue to stick with the mornings until the end of October. Should start to cool just a tad by then. I've got a heal spur or that pf word whatever it is.....I think they are one in the same. Dang, that sucker hurts. I've had it for years, comes and goes whenever it feels like it. Ouch..... How ya doin' Ms. Leslie? Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                            Evry, it was the 88 Holiday Bowl and your Cowboys won handily!! Congrats on knocking off ol Mizzoo!! I didn't get to go to many Wyo games as we usually had college rodeos, but I did get to see Wyo knock off a Jim Mc Mann qb'ed BYU team with a little home field advantage. Hard to complete a pass when you can't even see your recievers in a full on white out, blizzard condition game.
                            r2farm....Oh yes, it's all coming back to me. 1988....man, I would have guessed maybe 8-10 years ago. Time has a way of gettin' away from you. Who da thunk it was 20 years ago. You, my friend, have a good memory! And Jim McMahon....didn't he QB the Bears to a superbowl victory two or three years ago? Wink Thanks for the memories.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Hi Everyone - Got home about 2:30 today and haven't stopped much since. Laundry, watering, etc. Although we did watch "My Dog Skip." Very cute movie. Even got teary-eyed at one point. Checked the results, and I came in 41 out of 442. I thought I was closer to last than that, so I'm pretty dang happy. This morning when I got up, the left hip felt like someone had kicked the crap outta me, and the 5.5 hour drive didn't help. But moving around since I got home has loosened things up. Suppose to walk/run 3 miles in the a.m., but I may use the excuse of "my shoes aren't dry" to sleep in. Big grin Had to wash them. They were covered in dust. Did I tell you we got, as a finisher's medal, one of those long wooden whistles that sounds like a train whistle? (It's a rails to trails run.) I like it! Okay - I'm ready for a shower and my bed. Have a good week!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Okay - I'm ready for a shower and my bed. Have a good week!
                                Nice try Leslie ,but you can't sleep all week! Nope.Not allowed. Arla- nice going on those hills.Sure does feel good when you actually can measure improvement.Your training seems to be going quite well!Did you have to mention that you're an Iggles fan?!? Oh boy. Glad you're feeling a little better Cindy.Don't rush it,you'll get back soon enough. Thanks for the compliment Jim, and good going giving Jewels a little push.... Hi Carol and Jewels. Hope your runs are going well ! Evryday, I too have a sick feeling this morning.The G's were due for a stinker and man they reallystunk it up last night! Sure is a nicer feeling across the river on Wall St this week,keeping fingers crossed that it continues... Hitting the real meat of my training program. Only double digit runs on tap this week.Had a rare daytime run yesterday ( 10m) after getting outta work a little early.Hoping for another today (12m). Have a good one folks!