Masters Running

Mon 2/02 Runs and 1 Month Closer To Spring (Read 598 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone Smile Very good weekend running wise for me: Saturday I went to the Y and walked 1 mile - ran 3 easy miles at 9:00 pace - then 1 mile walk on the treadmill. Sunday: It was 40 degrees and sunny out so I just couldn't pass up an outside run...would be the first one since November 1st at my Marathon. 3 easy miles that most certainly did NOT feel easy. I felt uncoordinated and it felt like the first time I had ever ran, but was nice to actually run two days in a row...and my foot felt greta Smile Smile Smile And boy, did I over dress as I had not ran outside for sooo long...I was burning up after just a few minutes, Heck, last Fall running my last 20 miler before my Marathon, it was 39 degrees and I ran shirtless...don't know what I was thinking yesterday Roll eyes I am super excited also because I bought a 46 inch 1080 p HD TV yesterday. I did not buy it because of the Super Bowl, but rather my old regular style TV bit the dust. I went into the store to get a 42 inch but they were sold out of that size completely, so I got my 46 inch in for the price of the 42 inch. My goodness, the picture is awesome and with me having Web TV at home....that makes my TV my computer screen, I can't believe how big and clear all the words and pictures are Cool Cool Cool I am so excited about my running, and think I am finally back to Marathon training....but still being super careful.OK, promise OK, off to log my miles on my training log....I know it's not much, but I had 9 miles for the week Smile, and that was with me taking days off, because of my elliptical machine scare. TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I so excited about my running, and think I am finally back to Marathon training....but still being super careful.OK, promise
      Glad you had a good day. I'm hoping to get an easy run in at the end of this week. Shin is not ready for impact yet. Saturday's 7 mile run was a stupid thick-headed thing to do and I paid for it Saturday night with tightness, pain and lots of limping. Took yesterday off completely and a spinning class this morning and it feels better - still tender but no limping and no Motrin needed. I'll wait until pain is gone before attempting a run. I'm watching you Tim to learn how to be patient with an injury. Wink

So good to hear your progress Tim! I had 2 miles on Saturday and 4 slow, sluggish miles yesterday. The weather was great this past weekend, so no complaints there. I've been in physical therapy for 3 weeks now for my ankle doing lots of strengthening and stretching. I don't know what to think as, though I don't limp as much anymore, I still get stiff and sore at times. I'm excited for the improvement, but want to run w/o these nagging problems altogether. I'm hopeful that maintaining my regiment of exercises will continue the improvement. On to week 5 of Hal Higdon's novice 10k program. It's slow going, but good to have goals. Welcome to abelisle, good to have you aboard... What a game yesterday. I'm not a huge football fan, but I do try to catch at least parts of the Super Bowl every year. We got our bigscreen HD tv for Christmas this year...really made watching this game a treat. Exciting to the last minute.
        Slo

'Mornin Tim Nice Run / Walk this weekend. We had great weather too ! Congrats on the TV purchase. I am so behind when it comes to home technology.......I just got High Speed access at home last week. Our TV is pushing 15 yrs old and my Stereo System still has a Turn Table and Cassette deck ! Great Game though ! And, as a long time Bruce Sprinsteen fan....loved the show......No where close to the concerts I had seen back in the 80's but wow did it churn up some old memories. This morning I got in a Swim.......opened with 1000yds followed by 1250 yds of drills and repeats. 2250 yds total. 1:00 hr. I should have checked my log before going out for yesterdays run. I fell short of a 50 mile week by just .2 miles ! Had I known that I would ran around the block to break 50 ! Phil saw his shadow Sad

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Bad news! The groundhog sees his shadow Punxsutawney Phil predicted six more weeks of winter, handlers say DRATS!!! That is greta news Tim!! The running ..... and the new TV purchase! We had to buy a new one last Spring due to our old faithful biting the dust. Sure does make a difference. Scheduled rest day. Good thing as I had to stay awake for the whole game and drink a little wine while doing so. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm watching you Tim to learn how to be patient with an injury. Wink
              I never thought in a million years someone would say this about ME of all people. 2 1/2 months ago you would not have been thinking I was being patient and smart, but I finally gave in and started looking at the big picture of running the rest of my life. Hang in there Fren...it's does get better and injuries do heal, if you allow them too. (still can't believe I can say that now) TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

Easy 5.3 miler @ 8:45. Beautiful morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

45 min to get 2 kids and Mom dressed. Give me a 10 miler any day over that! Dead Yoga and foam roller day. Always seems like a slacker day when these days come onto my schedule. Tim, congrats on your 9 miles! Every bit counts. {{{HandyMom's ankle}}} Hope it keeps improving! SLO, at least Bruce didn't pull out some of his weaker stuff, which I refer to as his "California Daze" period. You know, before Patti, and after he became famous...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim – that is excellent news! (I mean about the foot, although the tv is nice, too.) EGH3 – trust me, I learned this the hard way last summer, a little time off now can save you a lot of time off later. Handymom - good to hear you're getting better. 2.25 easy-paced miles for me on the TM this morning, followed by light x-training: dumbbell presses, flies, lying hammer curls, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, weighted squats, shoulder presses, and stability ball crunches. Question re progression LR’s: If I was hoping for a MP of, say, 8:47, how would I choose progression paces for a 20-miler? Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

6 recovery miles...8:25 pace Mariposai-I'm hoping I here something about the job this week,they were doing the background check last week.
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        3 sleep-deprived recovery miles for me this morning. Good to hear Tim is on the mend.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Question re progression LR’s: If I was hoping for a MP of, say, 8:47, how would I choose progression paces for a 20-miler?
                          Sorry, I saw your question yesterday and forgot to respond. I don't think there's a single "correct" way to do this, though I suspect others have their favorites. The idea is just to start easy and build up to your target pace so you get used to running at that pace on somewhat tired legs, but don't have to sustain this for a full long run. There are lots of possible variations. Frankly, I just make mine up. I start with a very easy pace (around 9:00 for me) and know I want to finish with a few MP or sub-MP miles. Then I just divide up the run into stages. In yesterday's run I chose 4-mile increments, 15-seconds apart...4@9:00, 4@8:45, etc., until the final four, which I try to run at sub-MP by feel (hard but not all-out). Going so slow at the start leaves a lot in the tank for the finish and I wasn't particularly tired yesterday at all. (BTW, since the Garmin measures a bit long--and thus about 5-seconds per mile faster than you are actually going--I aim to hit 4-5 seconds per mile below those targets...8:55, 8:40 and the like.) Be creative; have fun with it. Here's McMillan on other variations: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/progressionruns.htm ETA: and on long runs, including fast-finish: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/marathonlongrun.htm

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Every mile counts Timbo Holly, I read your post yesterday and I was hoping to learn from the answers also. Great job on the weekend run. Butterfly hugs to all you are resting, sick, injured or dealing with a hangover after the game Tongue Where is Francesca??????? When is the barefoot taperboy coming back from Japan???? Will be thinking of you Gordon...I hope you get the job...you will be terrific. 6 easy miles at dawn.......in 22F calm weather.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcome back tim-san. if my current extended travel to 日本 that started in December ends this week as now planned, I`m looking forward to running the inaugural Seattle RnR with your inaugural marathon, . . . and some of the goddesses too, in June. However, in case you get fast again, if ever, just leave a note for me at mile 16. Big grinBig grin ps - 頑張ってください。 (ganbatte kudasai)
                              Where is Francesca???????
                              If i don`t get back pretty soon maybe you can come over here too. ji ji

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

umwb

6 recovery miles...8:25 pace Mariposai-I'm hoping I here something about the job this week,they were doing the background check last week.
                                Lyndenrunner,..... wait till they find out you hang out with the likes of us! Big grin Good morning everyone, No runs yet for me, I had the MRI done on my knee, I loaded the disc they gave me in the computer and stared.... and stared...... and stared.......no use, I have no idea what I am looking at Wink Guess I'll wait for the Ortho. to explain it all to me on the 9th Have a great day!!
                                When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !