Masters Running

Friday 2/27 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 553 times)

Hard to believe February is over tomorrow. Most of you are probably really happy about that! For me it means the end of our racing season down here. (Gasparilla is tomorrow but that's really the last big race.) We're headed out to the Mountains for some skiing tomorrow, so I figured I'd better get in a Medium Long Run today because the running always drops way off up there. 12.25 miles in 1:45 with miles 3 thru the end at MP. Avg HR 142. I got a bit of a scare at mile 10 or so. I moved over a little to give an oncoming car some extra room and slipped off the edge of the road. Felt my left ankle roll under me, but it didn't stop me from finishing up the run. So I guess I dodged a big bullet there. We'll see how it feels later. Running pre-dawn does have it's downside. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Bill...and everyone else Smile Another good run for you Bill, with a lot of miles at MP....your mister consistency. And glad you "seem" to be alright...running can be dangerous sometimes Huh? Oh yeah...you misspelled Friday Bill....just kidding. Just saying that because of my unique spelling of Thurs yesterday...thanks for noticing Carolyn Tongue 6 easy miles last night after work - 53:02 - 8:51 ave pace. Kinda funny on my run last night....at mile 6 I just stopped and felt like enough was enough. Wasn't tired - sore - laboring - hurting - anything, just felt like that was enough for the night. Then I walked the 1.5 miles home, which gave me time to think about some personal things going on in my life right now. It's really not like me to stop on a run, but I just thought...what's the hurry, you have plenty of time till your next Marathon. I did learn a lot last year with it being my first year of serious running, which will help me this year, and years to come. 6 or so miles Sat, and then 4 Sunday will give me my "planned" 30 miles for the week...then will make my way back into the 40/40 group in the near future Cool Didn't make my meeting with the owner yesterday, because I was too busy. He called me up to his office, but I told him how busy I was with it being the last of the month, and trying to get all the cars done for delivery. He is such a good guy and said, tomorrow is another day and maybe we can meet then...I can tell it won't happen today with it being Friday. Briefly, what I do for a living it go into very bad Body Shops, and turn them around and make them profitable. I have done it with 6 or 7 Dealerships and have made each one profitable... with quality of Workmanship being the # 1 priority. Well, this shop I am at now, was profitable for the first time ever last year...I just have a knack at this stuff. And it has been over two years since anyone has brought a vehicle back with any problems what so ever...very very much unheard of repairing wrecked vehicles, believe me. But I am a VERY picky person that demands perfection from those that I manage, but I am extremely fair and compassionate too, with my guys. They are a great "hand picked" group, and they love what I have done for them...they have a great living, and make very good money, which is a good thing with the economy in the shape it is in right now!!! Mary, how did your meeting go...good I hope. Hope everyone has a good day, no matter if you run or not. You all are the greatest....and you all rock Smile Big Thanks to Holly and Tammy....you both know why, and are so sweet. And...I ramble on sometimes Big grin TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Friday!!! Sounds like a close call there Byll! Nice 12 miler this morning for you. Good luck today Tim - I hope you have a good day. Nice run last night too! Many of you may remember that my neighbor was my running and marathon partner last year. I probably would not have followed through with it without her. She is suffering from Excercise Bulimia and a form of Anorexia. I've watched her slowly become obsessed with weight loss, body fat and constant excercise at the gym. She has finally admitted to herself and others that she does have a problem and has sought counseling. She is also going through a divorce, so she's no longer my neighbor, but I think I see more of her now as I try to help her through this rough period and a disease that she will likely fight the rest of her life. Last night we had her over for dinner and this is something we will do regularly to make sure she is eating good - she also has a very supportive family .... she is only 25. I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this other than the fact that we all somewhat have an obsession with running, excercise and weight loss so it is something that bares acknowledging. Ironically, while I am trying to loose 5 pounds - I'm trying to help her gain at least 15. Today is a rest day which I plan to honor. Have a good day everyone! Tim - my meeting was also postponed until today and I'm pretty sure it will happen. I'm not expecting the day to be a very pleasant one - but hey! It's Friday!!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Folks, Good running Bill and I hope the ankle will be okay. Have a great times on the slopes. Nice run for you too Tim and walking at the end of every run can do wonders actually. Nice to see that consistency. Good resting Mary and thanks for sharing what's happening to your friend. It's an important reminder in this body-proud sport of ours. One of my high school teammates almost died as a result of anorexia and one of my college teammates too. Your support will make a huge difference and the fact that she recognizes that she has a problem is a good first step. Four miler for me this morning ---foggy and 32º and all systems go. We are picking up the kiddo at school at noon for a major hockey tournament out of state. I wanted to run before the trip and the coming rain. Twocat! Cowardly or not, I am just sorry we wont be dueling again at the IronHorse half. I think we are actually even since you beat me at the New Haven 20k---although I may have a slight edge with my Baystate marathon time. Tongue Seriously, I so hope you can get that leg working again. Time to scoot---see y'all next week CNYrunner

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, Bill, you're bucking the trend here,,,everyone is looking to get AWAY from the snow....Smile We may actually get some on Sunday...we'll see. 10.53 miles of hills @ 9:11 pace...IRC here today. I already logged almost 45 miles this week. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Bill – I live in fear of just such stray occurrences. Glad it turned out okay for you. Tim – another of your many talents. Smile 3 recovery miles in the TM (10:31), followed by my favorite lower body workout: 1.Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) and then dumbbell curls, shoulder presses, bent rows, seated reverse flies, and stability ball crunches. Two days of mild weather, now the cold front is coming back today. Oh well. Two more days till March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Hello Masters. Hope everyone has excellent runs today. I kicked my day off in the pool with 1800 yds. Speaking of Kicked......my lane buddy is getting really close to kicking my ass. 8 months ago he couldn't swim one length without hugging the wall.......I had a hard time staying in front of him on our opener this morning. The kid is a very good swimmer and has really taken to the water. Timbo.......enjoyed your post. I worked for a "Black Hatter". He bought companies that were on the verge of bankruptcy and turned them into highly profitable organizations. He went in, identified the bleeding, got rid of the bad apples and made it clear that the customer is the only thing that matters. I could give you story after story how this guy took care of the customer......and employees. My thoughts turned straight to him as I read your post. You have a special talent. I'm hoping to get in another 50 mile week.........that has been a really tough number for me. I have no reason to do 16 mile runs and I wonder if there is anything to gain from them if I'm not training for a marathon. My focus on my long runs to run a min of 1.5 hrs. Hoping for a slower day here at work !
                  5 easy, windswept miles this morning. I fear this will be the last day running in shorts for a little while. It is nice to have been in shorts for 3 days in February.
                  Tramps

Watch your step, Bill. Glad you’re okay. Happy skiing. Tim—good to see you cranking out 6 “easy” miles with no mention of injury at all. Mary—sad story; you’re a good friend. Very warm today (55F) and I felt it. Seemed like the energy was sucked out of me as I slogged through a 9.2 mile run @ 8:20. I’d better get used to it, though. Warmer temps are coming.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mary - you're a good friend to your ex-neighbor. Stress impact people in different ways. Your support will help her. No run today - just fizzy lifting, spin cycle (full house - all 25 bikes were occupied), and a little high steppering. Tomorrow, six teenage girls will be attending PBJster #1's 14th birthday party sleepover. Where did the time go?

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Tramps, now my foot hurts after thinking about it Tongue...just kidding of course. So very nice to have Karin with us here at RA Smile Mary, I have something important to say about your friend...but will have to wait till I have more time. Another great "Hill" run Peter!!! Yeah Holly, cold weather again Sad...I was liking the 50's we both were having. LOL SLO_HAND, you sound like me with running more, without any real reason to...hey, we are ALL ate up with this running thing Smile Glad you shared you story also...sounds just like what I do. Nice 5 Craneium...yeah, I love running in shorts...and shirtless too. PBJ, thanks for your kind words as of late Smile...and good luck with the " Tomorrow, six teenage girls will be attending PBJster #1's 14th birthday party sleepover" thing TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

It's really not like me to stop on a run, but I just thought...what's the hurry, you have plenty of time till your next Marathon. TimBo
                          That sounds awfully mellow for you, Tim! You're not turning into a type B, are you? By the way, your work sounds very demanding but rewarding too. Mary, thanks for sharing the story about your running partner. My family accuses me of running too much, but I assure them that most of the folks here run way more (and way faster!) than I do. (Thank you to the Marathon Maniacs for making the rest of us look sane!) Smile Karin, I love your new avatar picture of you and your dad at Boston. Holly, you're running in the treadmill now? That must hurt. Craneium, our shorts weather is ending too. Sad Of course it would be shorts weather for some folks when it's in the 30's, but not for me. I checked my log, and I ran 8 days in shorts in Feb! (all down in the flatlands, of course - global warming hasn't quite hit the higher Rockies yet.) PBJ, happy birthday to PBJster #1! They do grow up fast, don't they? My DD will be sweet 16 in three weeks. I'm working at home today (love to do that on a Friday!) DD and I have an appt this afternoon with her new guidance counselor at the school she'll be attending next year. It'll be hard for her to go to a new school for senior year, but she's run out of classes to take at our local public school, which is kindergarten-12th grade. There are 17 kids in her grade. She's gone there since she was 5, and we're sorry to leave, but she needs more of a challenge. She'll be going to the closest public school down in the flatlands, in Golden, which has probably 300 kids per grade. She's signed up for AP calculus, honors chemistry, and AP psychology, among other things, and is looking forward to it, although she'll miss her friends and give up being class president and valedictorian. Well, I really should get back to work. DD and I will run later on the creek path in Golden after our visit at her new school. Gotta take advantage of the warmer temps and flatter terrain to run when we can!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs! Byll.. glad you avoided injury Smart running Tim... watched Hell's Kitchen last night.. I'm sure you're not like that Smile Tramps.. 55 is IRC, remember... 2 mi warm-up with Tory then two 4 mi loops in Duke forest with them there steep hills. First loop I attacked hard and did it in 30:48 (7:42 pace) which is a route PR by 16 secs! Next loop was run easier at 7:59 pace. So 10 mi total in 1:20:50 (8:05 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Bill, glad that you escaped injury! I have done that before and once turned my ankle so badly that I wound up with a sprain. Ugh! Have fun skiing. Tim, that does sound very mellow for you, but it's good that you were able to cut the run off and enjoy the walk home. It sounds like you have a great talent for customer service! Sort of like that show on Bravo with the lady who goes in and turns around hair salons. Smile Mary, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. Speaking as someone who struggled with an eating disorder for several years, they are very very hard to overcome but it is acheivable. She has already taken the first step of admitting the problem and getting help. Your support will be invaluable. Happy Birthday to PBJster #1. I am sure it's hard to believe that he is turning 14! He must be popular with the ladies. SLO, I am not officially in marathon training either but have figured that runs up to 2 hours are still beneficial. For me, that turns out to be right around 16 miles. Tramps, you know Perch is right - 55 is not really that hot, though I know what you mean because I was overheating a bit on my run today with the wind at my back. Six easy/recovery miles for me today. Legs were pretty dead from yesterday's hard run and the wind was blowing hard in my face on the way out, but it was shorts weather and it felt good to turn around and have the wind at my back for the last three miles.

Once a runner . . .

dg.

good morning! I haven't even touched today's thread yet... in a little while I hope. Nono.. thanks for your email address. I was thinking the same thing. I hope you're feeling better. Twocat... thanks. I think you're right.. things did go well. I'd much rather be able to run than to pool run. I was able to do another mile today-- it didn't feel quite as good as Wednesday, but was ok. I was thinking about you Wednesday morning, thought that was when you had one of your tests. ack. I'd missed that it was an EMG. Shocked I've had 2. One time the doctor had to do it over because he'd forgotten to connect one end. I'm glad they've localized your problem... but how infuriating that you may have made things worse by trying to do things right!!! Meg.. speeeedy progression run! Thanks for the pool running ideas. I think that was the problem.. I couldn't do it hard enough to have it do any good. After I heal a bit, I think it would be a good option for more cardio. It was kind of funny though. Even though the pool running & the swimming hurt, my legs felt good enough to run after that. I wonder why. I eat oatmeal every day. I still don't run like Perch. I have an appt. to see a sport med doctor on Monday. Smile. I've been putting off doing that, because even though I like my pcp, I had to really push to get pt last time. Then I remembered that with HMO's now, for a lot of things you don't need a referral. I found a doctor who sounds like he might be pretty good, & was able to schedule online. Skipped all the doc battles. Another gym morning. 13 min. on the precor elliptical, 1 mile run (10:08 minutes), 45 min. on the octane elliptical, then lower body weight machines, & the usual stability ball things... reverse crunches, side planks, SR hammie curls, & russian twists.