Masters Running

Wednesday 11/28/18 (Read 42 times)

SteveP

RunnerKSA is finally feeling better. She puts in 3.5 AM miles on the treadmill and sneaks in another 1.5 in the PM.

Hold the presses!! Coastwalker slept in past Jay O'clock!!

Jlynne keeps it indoors as she works out at the Y. 45 on the elliptical, 10 rowing and 25 weighing her options.

HollyS puts in 44 laps at the local pool.

Joe618 is cold and windy for five and a quarter. Has making plans for putting plans into action. I'm glad your father broke the dysfunctional cycle. That must have been a challenge. I suspect that I'd like his humor.

Mrrun stretches into action and powers into hot chocolate fellowship.

Fatozzig has to deal with that one coworker that prevents the machine from running smoothly. A number of us can relate. Hopefully the 40 ish minuets on the core blew some stress.

Rochrunner ramps up his cycle training and structures a work out.

Tramps stops in and clarifies his situation and options. Thankfully we have the variety of treatments today.

Tom White shares his primary choice for his situation in three words. He puts in 35 minutes of hands free ARC training.

Deez4boyz has her hands full. Justin has an 8 month anniversary date. That's a pretty big deal. I was reflecting on my early days of recovery this morning. She still gets and hour on the bike and 1.2 on the treadmill.

Wildchild puts in 3. Proving that she doesn't have a screw loose. She follows that up with braking and stretching.

Runr_nut gets 4.3 on tires lags. Good deal.

MikeE charms us then leaves.

Evanflein gets an easy 5.1 on a tender hamstring.

Falconfixer gets his workout in after working. 5x3 at a 5K place.

BTY dives in and pops out. I think swimmers and dancers are superb athletes.

Mariposia puts in 5 up and over miles at noon.

Tetsujin209 is as humble as ever. He's never experienced the joys of having his water bottle freeze while out on a sub zero run.

I got three hard miles in on the treadmill before work. Our acting boss suggest that I am assigned a company lap top so I can work remotely if needed. I had a less than polite "Aw hell no".

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Hey poor treadmill is Dad mean to you?

Did you have to smell his nasty shoe?

uh huh

You're covered in sweat..

ohh ohh ohh..

You've seen nothin' yet.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good answer on the laptop/working remote option Steve - boy, can that ever be a slippery slope!

No, AD, 'Dad' wasn't being mean - took the TM for a workout, just like he does with you sometimes.

It couldn't last - dry weather this morning, so I was up and out for 5.9 miles in 32° temps with a few slick spots after yesterday's rain. Nice to be out and dry for a change.

Just a few meetings today: 9:00, 10:15, 11:00, 2:00, 6:00, and 7:00. I told DW I'll see her tomorrow...

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve and good morning y'all  Way to get out there, Jay!

Slept a little later and only had time for 2.3 treadmill miles.  Plan to go to the gym after work for a couple more miles and weights.  We shall see!  Vanderbilt hung 120 points on Savannah State last night, so that was fun- even with the loss of our super star.  Savannah State isn't very good, but they can shoot threes and our team didn't see too much point in defending the threes as long as we could score plenty of our own.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - excellent start to the day.
            However, posie’s an “ai” instead of “ia,” . . . I think.
            Unlike coastwalker, you can have the rest of the day off.

Jay - maybe a relay team might work for your six meetings.
            KSA - I was almost afraid to turn on the radio yesterday
            but were you thinking about the JohnsHopkins false alarm.

ps steve - your freezing water bottle does remind me of a New Year’s

Fat Ass that got high enough up into the snow line for some water bottle
            freeze-up but, fortunately, I maintain a reasonable enough pace
            not to sweat enough to freeze up anything else.  
            Has anyone else ever frozen their water bottles, gloves, or anything?

With erika's famed frozen face, I'd've thought she's the only one.

Aiming to do a mini-BTY with my retired IM mentor's

pool therapy hoping to improve being sidelined

by a series of minor strokes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Steve--telecommuting: tell him you'll take the laptop if you don't have to come in anymore. 

Falcon--everything's on the table in terms of alternatives, including spinning. TriBee has a little trainer for her bike but it's a PITA to switch bikes on it. I may be in negotiations with Santa this year.

Tet--I used to do long runs with those water belts with four small bottles in them. Those things froze up all the time.

Dave--ten in a row! 

The Pew Research Center recently posted 100 excerpts from interviews they did with people on where they find meaning in life. It's a pretty interesting cross-section of responses.

I've decided to try some experiments during the remainder of the year and then try to have a workout plan/schedule in place by the new year. I do much better with structure. Today's experiment was a 10K walk--mostly dirt road, about a mile of trail--trying to keep a brisk enough pace that my breathing was a little elevated. Pace varied by terrain but ended up about 13:15 overall.

Lessons include:

• brisk walking uses slightly different muscles than I'm used to; I could feel it.
              • I can walk trails safely that I wouldn't normally run due to leave cover obscuring my footing (a plus!)
              • I need to turn off the Garmin auto-pause; every time I did a turn on the hilly trail's switchbacks it thought I had stopped. 
              • I should dress a little more heavily than for running--but not much more; I was overdressed a bit.

30F and quite windy but beautiful sunshine and, eventually, bright blue sky.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps good luck with you knee. Do you have access to medical journals and a search engine for them on line? Are you facile enough with statistics to evaluate them? If so, I would suggest doing some research on your options and the impact of various protocols. One phrase your doctor used "I believe" always triggers a warning sign in me. There should be no "I believe" in medicine (or many other areas). Either we know the answer or do not. It is not uncommon to find a doctor is not up on recent research or worse, refuses to believe results that contradict his prior understanding. (The evidence is that your doctor's view of use it and lose it is just flat out wrong. At least if by that he is including use it at normal recreational levels.) To a considerable degree I went through this with my first bout of hamstring tendonosis and again with my tongue cancer. Especially for the latter I am really happy I dug into the journals, it very well may have saved me from further operations, chemo or other horrors. It also led me to switch surgeons. I also think my post operative hamstring experience has been better for me finding out what we know about the odds of recovery and how little we know about the best way to maximize those odds.

Yesterday was a PT session. My therapist said she wanted to go with me to the track to have me do some light intervals. Forget whatever you are thinking by the word interval. This is not 1000m at 5k pace with 90 seconds of rest between. This is just above a walk for 100 feet then stop and do something else, like butt kicks, then another 100 feet. Perhaps do that 5 times. She wants to give it a shot on Friday. But, to do that she has to slot me into her last session and is not sure she can. Next Friday is out since I will be at a conference that day. That leaves the next Friday as a reasonably likely first time.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I got out for an easy 5.1 miles this afternoon, finishing just as the sun was setting (a little after 3 p.m.) 

Yikes! At least only a little over 3 weeks to the solstice.

Tramps, I've found that I have to dress a lot heavier for walking in the winter, assuming that I'm going only at a "brisk" pace and not verging on race walking.

Nothing much to report here. I went to the gym for a general workout and started off with 2 miles on the dreadmill (not the one that Steve sweated up), so I guess that counts for something.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Thanks, 2cat. I'm pretty confident in my doc. The imprecision in language comes from my crude summary of a much more nuanced discussion. He didn't say anything that contradicts anything I've read and he was very good (1) about how much we don't know and (2) about how much varies from patient to patient, further limiting any definitive answers. One reason I've waited so long to see a surgeon is that I've been doing some research and asking around (there's a med school on our campus so plenty of up-to-date research practitioners) and his is one name that kept popping up.

Which reminds me, TriBee happened to have an appt with our sports doc yesterday and she noted that I had met with the surgeon (she was on of the docs who recommended him) and discussed the possibility of PRP down the road. Turns out the sports doc had just done a lit review of PRP knee treatments in preparation for a presentation she's doing at a surgeon's conference next month. She confirmed early promising results and noted, much as the surgeon had, that nobody knows ideal dosage or long-term effects yet. Not ready for prime time unless pain is a real concern, which is not the case for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Aiming to do a mini-BTY with my retired IM mentor's

pool therapy hoping to improve being sidelined

by a series of minor strokes.

This is your friend's strokes, correct?

Avenger Doggie - Rudy has something to say to you - ARF, ARF, ARF, ARF-ARFF, ARRRF, ARF!   Repeated for 20-minute intervals about 4 times each night.....

4.2 miles on the TM this morning.  My foot hurt then, and before the run, but now it feels fine.  Go figure.

No workout for me tomorrow.  I am driving my dad to his 9:15am appointment at the Cleveland Clinic for follow up to his surgery.  Given that it is about a 4-hour drive, I want to be on the road by 4:40am.  Not sure how much time we will spend there, but I doubt that I will feel like working out by the time we get home.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Ten in row - Buffalo has been coming from behind to win, but last night they blew a 2-goal lead in the 3rd and had to win in OT. Next game is in Tampa who is a much better team than Buffalo. Buffalo beat them 2-1 during this streak, but they were heavily outplayed and only won because Tampa hit the goalpost about 6 times.

Meaning in life - Interesting article. I ponder this fairy often, especially during working hours when I want to procrastinate. A book by Tim Keller, "Making Sense of God" has a great chapter on meaning. He compares created meaning with discovered meaning.

Old age and haircuts - I turn 60 pretty soon and I had gone a few months without a haircut. I was going to let it go and let people worry about my mental state, but ruined that plan today and got a haircut. Now I have to start growing it all over again.

Workouts - Nah, I don't think so. I have a super stressful project going on at work and I don't have the energy to do anything but worry.  I hope to pace around enough to hit 10,000 steps. The craziest thing I have ever been asked to program is going live. I'm unable to visualize a positive outcome.

...twocat//...........glad to see you're hanging in there........

(although No Other Options may be a factor

on the other hand

''Quit'' probably isn't an option)

...tramps//..........Good Luck with this, maybe add hand-weights for a harder work-out.....

========

...40-min PoolRun/shoes...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Our acting boss suggest that I am assigned a company lap top so I can work remotely if needed. I had a less than polite "Aw hell no".

Fattozig, situations like that I start looking for the nearest fighter base (ideally with a bombing range along a flight path where I am) then see if I have any friends in that unit.....

Considering how yesterday went . . . boy oh boy oh boy.  A less than good day.  When I got home I sort of vented to The Hub.  He said his general, "You can only do what you can do" which sounds like "blah, blah, blah" to me, so I headed to the shower to try and calm down.  He smartly came up to me afterward and gave me a big hug, which made a world of difference.

Parents - My dad broke the cycle of abuse, mostly mental.  Both of my parents agreed before they had kids that they'd never fight in front of us, which their respective parents did full tilt.  I was so very blessed with having the parents I did.

Deez - Thank you for the update on Justin. {{{Hugs}}}

An Avenger Doggie sighting is always uplifting.

We have a dog bed that three of our cats like.  Goofy sleeps in it 95% of the time, but Chico is fairly fond of it, as well.  If one of them is in it, the other will try the stare him down to get him to leave.  It doesn't work.  Wilson will lay in it by himself or with either of them.  This morning Chico was in it and Goof was doing his level best to stare him out of it.  The Hub came up with the bright idea of trying to get them to lay in it together.  . . . that last about 20 seconds before Chico decided to take matters into his own paws and evict Goofy.  Wish I had the whole thing on video . . . poor Goofy.

I sort of don't give a carp about working out these days, although I know it'll make me feel better.  *sigh*

Onward and Upward, my friends ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tet-  You lost me.  What about Johns Hopkins?  Not sure what this is.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Meaning in life - Interesting article. I ponder this fairy often, especially during working hours when I want to procrastinate. A book by Tim Keller, "Making Sense of God" has a great chapter on meaning. He compares created meaning with discovered meaning.

Tramps, that's a very useful and thought provoking link you posted to the Pew Research Center.   They do some good work, thanks.   Dave mentions Keller's book and that chapter is quite useful on the same topic.

Karen, I was watching some hoops last night and saw the Vandy score across the bottom...was guessing it was a relaxing evening there for you.   The only gym in America with the benches on the end lines, not along the sidelines, right??

Enjoy the day, all!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.