Masters Running

Wednesday, January 13 Run, Walks, Rests and chatter (Read 412 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

My heartfelt condolences to you {{{TomS}}}.   

I did 45 minutes of WiiFit last night including 10 minutes of boxing.  Tonight I plan on putting in an ab and upper body workout DVD.    This morning I got out for a run with Brinkley, but I only had 3 miles in me.   The legs are feeling pretty tired.   I even walked a bit at the beginning of mile 3, so I was surprised to see I did that mile in 10:05.    Overall 10:17 avg. pace.    I'm just trying to get in the groove of not only getting up, but getting myself out the door too.

I downloaded Born to Run to my iPod yesterday.   Now I can listen to it while I run!  Big grin

Happy Hump Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

My condolences to Tom also.

You'll love listening to Born to Run Mary.  It is very enjoyable.  I'm reading it now and I'm at the part where the Ultra runners have met up with Caballo Blanco and are making their way down for the start of the race.

The plan was for 5 miles "very slow" today to recover from yesterdays tempos and in preparation for tomorrow's repeats. So 5 miles at 10:25 pace, avg HR 123.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

{{{Tom & Family}}}

Gr8 book Born To Run.  I've been running with my shoes at 500+ miles comfortably.

Poor Haiti.  Mother Nature sure is shaking lately.

13 pushups

RWIWU (Run When It Warms Up) ...... last chance to run long for awhile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

TomS......I'm sorry to hear about your Father in Law. My heartfelt condolences.

No run yet today but I did commute on my bike.....brrrrr.....14 degs. We were a little tight on vehicles this morning. Do you think I could get at least one teenager to agree to walk 2 miles ? Much less, do you think I could get my DW to back me up. I know how she grew up........walking!........Oh the poor darlings......

It really ain't that way......I just needed an excuse to commute.  Finger tips were hurting a little bit by the time I got here but they warmed up quickly.

Prayers for the citizens of Haiti.

Renee the dog

{{{TomS and family}}}

{{{Haiti}}}   That place really seems not to be able to catch a break.

Well, after reading just about every imaginable opinion on taping an ankle last night, I threw caution to the wind and came up with my own idea and used some kenesio tape to shore up my ankle.  Got 8 miles in, including a tempo mile in Mi 2...  It was a very strong 8.  Feeling good. Ran mostly with an ocean view.  Ocean was rather un-wind-whipped, ironically.  It was an inky black, with killer midnight blue undertones.  Didn't look mean or foreboding.  Just beautiful and powerful. 

It was supposed to heat up by this morning.  Still 20ºF with windchill. Even with 3 upper tech layers (2 longsleeve), super-duper winter weight pants, a neck gaiter, hat, winter heaband over that, and thick gloves, I was chilled to the bone by Mi 6. I was glad to be heading home.

Good runs/recoveries to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

Sending butterfly hugs and prayers to Tom and his family.

Sue, I am so glad to see that you are having fun in FLA.

I was so excited about my run today that my brain woke me up at 3:30 telling me that it was time to run. I got up, got dressed, went outside, looked at my garmin and decided that I am not THAT crazy about running to out in the dark at that time. Went back to bed, woke up at 4:45 and went out for a 10 miler with 2x2.5 miles at HMP with a half mile slow run in between the set. For some reason it was hard to keep the HMP in the first set, but it became easier on the second set.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Trying to get back into the swing of posting more often. Had a good hill run with DW last night. She just glides up the hills, good thing gravity is more my friend on the way down. I also got in some rope jumping and time with the heavy bag at lunch.  More running, boxing and crossfit on the schedule today.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat – hurray for your DW!

Breger – you need any lessons in “slow,” I can help you with that.

Enke – glad you were able to catch that "lung challenged" guy. 

Aamos – glad you’re feeling better...

TomS – sorry to hear about your FIL, but glad that his passing was relatively peaceful.

Mary – I was thinking, “I WISH I could find time to read ANYTHING,” but I totally forgot about the audio book option for Born to Run.  Thanks for the reminder.

Perch – are you doing the Spareribs push-up challenge? 

Slo – frozen face? 

Mariposai – you are so fast, even in the cold!

DH called me at work yesterday afternoon to say, “Do you REALLY want to do the grocery shopping tonight?  Or would you rather just stay home?”  Well, you know what the answer to that was....After we ascertained that there was indeed enough toilet paper to last a couple more days, I decided to postpone the shopping and stay home.  What a blessing that was!  I had time to re-treat DD’s hair and go through it one more time, section by section (no nits – yay!), read two stories with her, and watch an episode of House.  

13(feels like 3) degrees outside this morning.  5 easy-paced miles at (10:10) on the TM.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Birthday, Bruce!  Welcome to your new age group!

TomS, so sorry to hear about the loss of your FIL.  My thoughts are with you and your DW and family during this difficult time.

Craneium, I wish I could run up hills like your DW.

It's supposed to be in the 50's today - I sure wish I could go out and run.  I think I'll go out for a walk, at least.  I find it hard to get motivated to go to the gym when it's so nice out.

Good running or not running to you all!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Tom--you and your family are in all of our thoughts today. 

Easy 4.7 mile trail run @ 8:47.  Enjoyed the sunny 28F IRC weather.  Afterward, did some core work + upper body work (aka firewood hauling).

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

It's supposed to be in the 50's today -

How is it that you keep having this mild weather?  I thought Colorado had tough winters.  Aren't you more north than Ohio?

Okay, maybe I'm just a little jealous....

ETA - I just looked at Google maps and it looks like you and I live on about the same parallel.   So where's my 50's weather? 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Runners,

Tom: Sorry to hear about your FIL. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

NoNoRuns: I have never used kenesio tape, but I hear it's good stuff. I'm glad you were able to get in a good 8 miles.

Rain this morning, but the temp was still 54F. I did my MLR of 10 miles in 1:41:40 (10:10/mi). Not bad for a now "old guy." It was a great way to start off my birthday.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Birthday  Bruce!!!

Holly - you can get a cheap 3-month membership with Audbile and cancel at anytime. 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

It's supposed to be in the 50's today -

I'm getting in the car now and coming for a visit!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

Tom, I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL, but am glad it was peaceful.  It still is never easy.   Please hug your DW for me.   I really liked Karin's comments yesterday.

Nancy, great run!   You're so funny... I can't believe you did all that & went back to bed!     Smile

Erika,  (& Holly)  thanks!   It's a very cool little gadget.. I guess it's not really called a foot pod, anymore,   It's 'stride sensor'. It tracks pace, distance, cadence & stride length. 

And Erika, thanks for your comments the other day.  Saturday, I think.   I hadn't been feeling very good about how my running was coming along, so it was really encouraging.  And I'm glad you mentioned the alternating weeks w/long runs... this time it was accidental. ;-).   But I do remember hearing that's a good idea.. I wonder why my plan didn't do that last time.   How do you schedule that with cutback weeks... do you make up for it in the rest of the week?  (so that every other week isn't cutback..)  Is that a stupid question?

PDR, are you PR yet?   I hope that all worked out.

Carolyn, did you ever see a doctor?  

Perch, I hope this run is a good one!!

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.  The last couple of years, each time I re-injured my hamstrings I'd cut back a little, then maybe a little more, till I was finally convinced that yes, this was an injury & I needed to take care of it. Then I'd read that the first 3 days are critical, rest, ice blahblahblah, for a speedy recovery.  oops.     After Tuesday's run, my piriformis has hurt a lot, even to walk.   Even so I almost ran this morning, until I remembered what I just typed above.   Stuck it in here in case anyone needs a reminder!   (actually, I'm still not sure that a gentle run would have hurt...)   So, I went to the gym, did 23 min. on the elliptical, which hurt a little, started on the bike but it hurt a lot.   Not Happy about this but it might be S/I related & fixed quickly.    Did upper body weights after that & a few stability ball things.