Masters Running

Earlier on Thursday, 1.28.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

It has already been a long week this week, and it's only Thursday, so I'm not done yet. (Well, looking at it another way, I am so, so done!) So this is just a quick walk-by.

8 racewalking miles this morning under a clear sky with a bright, near-fool moon, with temps in the low 20s. I've been working on trying to increase my cadence for a while, and I seem to be getting the hang of it. My last 4 miles this morning were (just barely) under 11 min each and it took some focus to sustain that pace, but I did it without killing myself. I'm still trying to see if I can use technique improvements to speed up my pace while my age (by general consensus) suggests that I should be slowing down. Having started racewalking so relatively late in my life means there is still room for improvement as long as my body is willing to come along for the ride, which it seems to be doing so far.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning still just--

end of the month rush here, too (like Holly) but gee whiz Jay!  That's speedyjwalking.

Rainy here, just 6.  I need to start getting in a mid-distance run mid week, I think.

Michiganders (and anyone else)--check out my latest blog about the Freep Marathon and Detroit...and bridges!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

morning jay - have you ever calculated your cadence for different paces?  Is your stride length pretty much the same?
        No moon out here at the other side of the continent: five more drizzly commuting miles on The Re, .. . I mean, well, after four consecutive wetties this week, he wants me to call him The Wet Baron.  Getting sorry and sorrier about all the missed good exercise and fun stemming from a rainy season IMJ vow in June 1987 never to ride in the rain again.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Good Morning all!

Had a nice awards dinner last night and while I knew I was receiving 1st place Runner of the Year for my AG, I didn't know I also placed in the trail running series, so also received a 3rd place for that one. David received trophies for 1st place in both series - trail and road.

yesterday was so perfectly ideal - it had to be almost 60 and sunny. Today, complete downpour and we might see snow by the weekend.

Tammy

Slo

Hiya

6.7 this am. just below freezing and clear skies. Nice run.

Building up the mileage.

King of PhotoShop

1.5 mile jog/walk with Lucy.  labs back from surgeon. Margins clear, no need for further action.  Stitches come out this afternoon. We are so happy, and the doggie is full of pep.

Thanks for the follow up explanation on David and nice going on the awards Tammy. Pretty mature of him to make that choice.  Good for him.

Just finished reading "Kings of the Road" by Cameron Stracher, about those glory years late 70's to early 80's, featuring Rodgers, Shorter and Salazar.  Strongly recommend it to anyone who ran back then. The guy did a great job of research.  Spareribs

How-Do, Folks

Erika - The only thing that keeps my headlamp from slipping down is the bill of my hat. 

So instead of cursing Wilson and Chico for waking me up at 3:15 a.m., I should be thanking them.  I was fully awake by then so I got up, fed the zoo crew and went for my run just ahead of the rain.  Start sprinkling while I was still out there, and by the time I got out of the shower it was coming down pretty good.  6 miles with 10 x 20 sec hard hill sprints.  Oddly enough, it was another good run and I enjoyed the hill sprints . . . although by the last one I had the "I want to puke" sensation. 

Okay - Back to work ~~

MTA - Ribs, you and I were posting at the same time.  Yay for Lucy!!! 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Congrats Tammy!

5 mile recovery run. Quads still sore from 19 on tuesday. Walked the hills.

I will have 2 weeks before the marathon when my program ends. I started early so I would have 2 weeks play time in case something happened. What should I do with those 2 weeks? Run longer? Take it easy?

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

...Good Luck with it laurie//..........glad to see you back at it.......

am trying to get this RaceWalking Thing down,

but

if JAY started late in Life. . .

=====

40-min PoolRun with belt

................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

You'll get the hang of it, Tom!

Laurie - Will you have already gone thru your taper and then have the extra 2 weeks?

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

1.5 mile jog/walk with Lucy.  labs back from surgeon. Margins clear, no need for further action.  Stitches come out this afternoon. We are so happy, and the doggie is full of pep.

Yay!

Tsunami - how far before the marathon is your last 20+ mile LR scheduled?

Leslie - I keep a squirt bottle of water on my bedside table.  When Max Kittie decides he feels like yowling us awake in the middle of the night, he gets a squirt of water in the face.  At least that's what I aim for.  Shooting from the bed, in the dark, without my glasses, well, he gets the idea anyway....

4 miles of intervals on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Leslie - I keep a squirt bottle of water on my bedside table.  When Max Kittie decides he feels like yowling us awake in the middle of the night, he gets a squirt of water in the face.  At least that's what I aim for.  Shooting from the bed, in the dark, without my glasses, well, he gets the idea anyway....

I usually chuck rolled up socks at them, but they're getting wise to my tactics.  I may have to start utilizing a squirt bottle.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

30F

6 miles

A bunch of us started off this morning. Two of us needed 10 miles. The rest of us needed an hour so after 3 miles we separated at the CVS.

A few hills made for a nice challenging run. Those of us not needing 10 miles ran to the amphitheatre near Lake Matoaka. We paused there to look up at the sky and gaze upon the moon and several planets. Transcendent.

Spareribs, I am happy the Lucy von Sheltie is recovered and had a good pathology report. Veta Louise Simmons and King Leonidas say "Woof."  (translation: Glad you're feeling better)

Aamos, yes, we are going to run the marathon as a four person relay. So you will see the r.s. at the start with you. He will hand off to our dear SIL and he will hand off to me and I will hand off to lilmissrosie.  She is the fastest of the four. Legs 1 and 3 are ~7.5 miles and Legs 2 and 4 are ~ 5.5 miles.

Jay, nice racewalkng. I don't know how you do that. My shins hurt every time I try to walk fast.

TomWhite, I still want you and Jay to get together in real life. Do you think he'd like Knoxville?  We did. Especially those hills near the hospital! ha ha. The most fun was finishing on the 50 and running into Neyland Stadium and seeing yourself on the JumboTron.

I got the latest lipid profile from my physical earlier this month. Total cholesterol is up to 303.  HDL is up to 92 and I don't know if that is good for a menopausal woman these days. But the VLDL (very low density?) is good and I switched PCP's.  This doctor is not upset with my lipid profile and did not try to put me on a statin.  He is a less is more guy.

Does anyone else have pain in their feet after they have gone to bed?  My feet start to hurt really badly after I have been in bed for about 20 minutes. It is like a burning pain. Mostly in the soles. Kind of like bone and muscle pain. I know I have plantar fascitis. Do you think this is a manifestation of that?

Laurie, your training plan ends two weeks too early. Maybe you should work backwards from the race to make sure you taper properly. Pretend race day is the end of week 12 of a 12 weeks program. Just duplicate weeks 9 and 10. And then keep 11 and 12 as ordered.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Yes. I will have 2 extra weeks even after the taper week.

You'll get the hang of it, Tom!

Laurie - Will you have already gone thru your taper and then have the extra 2 weeks?

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

The 20 is 3 weeks before the marathon. I think doubling up weeks suggestion is a good one. I will aim to double up weeks with shorter long runs just to be safe. Thanks!

Yay!

Tsunami - how far before the marathon is your last 20+ mile LR scheduled?

4 miles of intervals on the TM this morning.