Masters Running

Saturday Morning....Comics, Coffee and Running (Read 406 times)

Slo

Ahhh.....Smell that brew !

Good morning all.......Looks like the weather has a nice day in store for us here in the Midwest.

I got nice core and upper body work out in followed by 25 minutes on the evil-liptical. Off to work for a couple of hours, then errands then I'll start on this weekends home improvement project.

Ohhh....and like Holly.....Christmas Tree hunting sometime this weekend.

Enjoy the day !

Nice workout, Slo.  Hmm, need some more coffee myself.

Based on the charts from Thursday's race, it looks like I should adjust my max HR from 195 to 204.  Garmin recorded a 208 but I think that's just a measurement error.

4.1 miles, 36:31, 8:58/mi, AHR 141 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

SteveP

DW went shopping. She bought pine cones!! We live in Northern Michigan. There are pine cones every where!

These are nice pine cone though...Just like the ones I see on the ground when we look out the window.

However, these were on sale.

Not like the ones we see every day laying one the ground.

Those are still the same price.

Free.

SteveP

Good Morning,  5 easy miles around the neighborhood w/DW 9:47 pace so she's well on the way back from the injury  Beautiful & peaceful morning out there today very nice after yesterday's crazy Black Friday 

Yes Slo the coffee seems especially good on this cool morning.  Now up to 36F & the sun is out so I think I'll sit out on the deck & enjoy the coffee.

Have A Great Weekend!

Steve pine cones on sale WOW!  Yeah I ran over about 50 cones this morning, I could be having a pine cone yard sale  I did see a couple collecting cones & acorns at the park 2-3 weeks ago & wondered what they would do with them.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I had an 8 a.m. running date with my neighbor.    I told her I'd run 10 with her if she didn't mind going slow.   She was agreeable, but her slow is my fast, so she ended up pushing me.   Normally I run 10 miles just under an 11 m/m average - today it was 10:14 avg. pace.    I am very proud of myself for not giving up and we plan on giving in another go next week.    So, in the last 3 days I've run 21 miles which is crazy for me.

I am melting bottles and then off to do some shopping as DH is up North hunting.

Happy Saturday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Steve - you owe me some big bucks, as the pine cone spit take has melted my monitor.  I'm running a special on bottled tap water - buy one, get one free.  Such a deal.

Fizzy lifting and stepperfication last night.  Nothing today, as I catch yet another flight to the UK.  At least I was able to "run" on Thanksgiving (actually skipped more than ran - and it's another shot at infamy).

http://blogs.courant.com/running/2009/11/manchester-road-race-prisoners.html

Yesterday I ran a 5K race that was so poorly organized that it should not have been called a race.  It was a tiny race of about 40 people, and the people who were to run the race were out of town or ill, and the two substitute people didn't have a clue.  To make a long story short, the finish  clock was gone by the time I got in, and the people who ran the race had left!    Hey, guys, have a heart..   Exactly one person was there to see me in - my DH!   There were actually at least three adults and three kids behind me. The good news is that a ran the whole 5K, and did it in a minute faster than the same race last year.

So out of pure orneryness, I will run another 5K next weekend in Corvallis, OR.   I'm glad I can do it.   DD1 might join me. 

The fantastic news is that mariposai is in town right now doing a long run, and she and I will will head for the woods this afternoon.  Can't wait to see her. 

Henrun

Woods Lady, I'm truly sorry about your race experience, but glad you finished well. Despite the smallness of the race they should have waited for the last participant. My club, New England 65+ Runners, is aware of age discrimination in some road races and is working to make the field fair for all ages.   

Enough for my editorializing. I had a pleasant 5 miler today while Marj was grandmothering (she just left for her run). There was a very gusty wind, so I did my usual one-way run (tail wind) and took the T home. Ran through the Boston Garden and Commons and noted the many tourists around for T-giving weekend. The ice skating rink was open and the ice looked good. I think I'll go for my first skate of the season this afternoon.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

WRFB,

I thought I was the only one around here with such a high MHR. I was thinking of you on Thanksgiving as my BIL also brews beer. This was a smoked pumpkin ale that was one of his best! It was delish! I believe he won an award at our local Renisance festival (SP) with this one.

Supposed to be a cross train day for me but the sun and 40 degree temps called me outside for a run this morning. I missed a 3 miler earlier in the week so this can be a make up day. 3.6 miles easy 9:00 average pace.

Now a hot turkey sandwhich!

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Renee the dog

Nice workout, Slo.  Hmm, need some more coffee myself.

WRFB, Slo was talking coffee?  I was already thinking beer!   Must be the wallpaper paste.  Bayside and I are tackling part II of our great room project today and tomorrow.  So far, quite excellent.  We wallpaper really well together, but are attempting something new.  We're doing the same wall with two different papers and then making a chair rail out of a border. 

As I've been dancing all morning while in between my parts of the puzzle, Bayside is sending Renee and I out running before the sun sets. (Maybe if I danced better he wouldn't care  )

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

fatozzig, nice pictures from your race.  eliz, I'm sorry to hear you are a bit discouraged in your comeback from the flu.  evan, sorry to hear you are struggling, too.  Earlier this year, I was not feeling any enthusiasm for going out, and sometimes had downright dread.  Things are a bit better now.  I don't always go out with enthusiasm, but it's not too bad.  Hang in there.  This, too, will pass.  holly, nice picture of your family getting the Christmas tree.  Your party menu sounds great.  If I lived closer, I'd consider crashing, assuming your security is not better than that at the White House.  .  Woods Lady, nice job on your 5K, even if the race organizers didn't do well.

hopeful, nice long run (and speedy, too).

This morning, it was in the low to mid 30s with just a light breeze.  I got in 8 miles in a little over 1:19 for a 9:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Ran 6.1 miles this morning and managed to not get blown away like Dorothy and Toto, in spite of crazy wind.  It was my longest run since before the HM in September.  Even though the schedule called for 6, I wanted to do 6.2 to make it like the last 10K of a marathon.  My legs had other ideas and basically said, "get real, girlie," the instant the Garmin beeped at the end of mile 6. I almost felt like I was going backwards, or at least running in place, for the last 0.1.  

I think part of my funk is that I keep looking ahead on the schedule instead of just concentrating on today.  The whole time I was struggling out there today, I kept thinking that if 6 was so hard, how could I possibly add 26 (+.2) to that.  Unwise to engage in such negative self-talk, I know, especially since I feel so good now that I'm finished.  And I'd be much better served to congratulate myself for staying on track with the plan for six whole weeks - have missed some XT, but not a single run.  

Another issue is that I went out too fast on Thursday and paid for it the rest of the evening and much of the day yesterday.  The good news about running after school is that I'm too tired when I start to push pace too much.  

Steve - lots of nice pine cones in my neighborhood, too.  Maybe the ones your wife got on sale were imported from Pennsylvania.  

Off to NJ shortly for dinner with the godsons and their parents.  Tomorrow it's singing at church, a rehearsal, and a meeting with the "save the life saving station" group.  Will squeeze in a short run on the boardwalk at some point as well.

Eliz 

flomotioncoaching.com

evanflein

Eliz, if you've done 6, you only have 20.2 more to do. That should help.

Thanks, tselbs, I know it'll pass. But it's hard when you're struggling with it at the the time.

Lou and Larry, my MHR is high, too. Not sure what it is, but I know my "cruising" HR is faster than a lot of people's and I feel fine. I know someone who says at mid-170's he's just dying, but for me if feels fine and I can go for a long time with it.

Nice pink Tutu, PBJ. Loved your son's comment!

Ok, I will try to get out for a run later. Will wait for it to warm up a bit. 

Just found out DS2's team beat an undefeated team for their last game! This other team was leading their bracket, hadn't even been scored on in prior games. This little rag tag team from Alaska comes along and beats them 2 to 1. Ha Good for them. It's the first game they've won the whole tournament, so they won't advance, but what a way to end it for them! 

TammyinGP

just popping in to peruse the daily.  . . . sorry to hear of that non-race experience, WoodsLady. I hope you weren't having to pay much money for that one. I'd be more upset if it was so poorly organized and staffed if I had to pay much for that. Glad you get to see Mariposai later! That's always a treat!

I didn't do any shopping yesterday. never have and hopefully never will. I don't like shopping, at all.

However, I am heading out soon for the big annual pine cone sale. Here in Oregon this is a hot commodity. Then we are going to see Blind Side.

Enjoy the rest of your wknd everyone!

Tammy

SteveP

HoooRay for Mary!!!!

(((((PBJ's Monitor)))))

(((((Woods Lady)))))

Boy Howdy for Erika's DS2!!!!

As a foot note...DW has the same reation when I come in with another Batman shirt.

SteveP