Masters Running

Fri Aug 14 Runs and Workouts (Read 456 times)

Good morning, everyone!

We stayed late at work last night -- didn't get out until about 7:30.  Then there was an accident on the way home -- there was one on the way to work, too -- pretty unusual.  Anyway, my schedule had 4, I'd wanted to do 10, but to get a little more sleep I compromised at 8.  Feeling a little sluggish, but at 69°F and 95% humidity, I think it's the weather.

8.1 miles, 1:09:25, 8:31/mi, AHR 154 (79% MHR)

Still waiting.  At this point, it looks like I'm going to miss the birth Sad .  Still time if something happens today or tomorrow -- if I get back Monday afternoon I'll be ok for some customer meetings I need to be at.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

I liked Amy's "Near Beer" moniker from a couple days ago. 

I planned 10 with 6@MP but managed only 8 with 4@MP.  I was sopping wet after just a couple of miles so I peeled off my shirt to try to cool down a bit--something I never do.  Bad idea; the horseflies swarmed and the soggy shirt had to get put back on.  Yuck.

Rest day tomorrow.  Woo hoo!

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh no Lou!   I sure hope you don't have to miss the birth.   Good job getting those 8 miles in.

Eliz - that was quite an adventure yesterday!   I would have trouble with touching the fish too.   What kind of fish was it afterall?

Doug - did your dentist say it is okay to run so soon?   I hope you take it easy - maybe just a short run rather than a long one.

{{{Tim}}} No time to stop by and say hi while riding through Michigan??

I am feeling quite good actually.  Some slight cramping, but nothing that I cannot handle.  The hardest part will be taking it easy today, something I'm not very good at I'm afraid.    Thanks for the well wishes everyone!!

TGIF!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I was sopping wet after just a couple of miles so I peeled off my shirt to try to cool down a bit--

Me too! At 6:00 AM it was already 70° with 85% humidity. How do you people run in these conditions all the time? My hair looked like I just got out of the shower - even my socks were wet. I'm a little old to be running in just a sports bra and shorts, but hey - if you don't like it, don't look.

Gee grandpa Lou - I hope that baby Beer holds out for your return.

Glad you're feeling better today Mary. Keep your feet up and let your family take care of you one more day - you deserve it.

Have a good day, good people.

Oh yeah - 4 miles at a pathetically slow 10:01 pace.

Good morning Master Runners!

A nice easy 3.5 mile recovery run at 10:00 min/mile pace.  The humidity was down a tad, though it didn't feel any different.  78° and 75%.  Avg HR 122.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Given these daily reports over the last few days I think we all need to give ourselves a good swift kick in the @ss.

That being said........I slept in this morning. Felt damn good too !!!!

Slo

Deez

Just read your post from yesterday.  I love your perspective !  And I'm glad that you are enjoying Triathlons.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

It's the humidity... (71°F with 92% humidity (dewpoint 70°))

...but with a swift kick in the @ss..

10 miles in 1:26:10 (8:37) including 2 miles at 9:22 with dogs then 8 miles at 8:25 (AHR 158) [could have run with you, Lou!]. A few deer sightings, like a family really close and staring at us.  Run felt good and despite the sweating.. my new Asics core microfiber shorts stayed dry.  It's so nice not to have wet shorts clinging to my legs looking embarassingly wet Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Woke up to 55 degrees!  Wow, what a difference that makes.  I ran 10.1 miles in 1:54:56.  First 8 miles non-stop.  I'm tired but happy!  Off to take a shower now and then get ready to go up to our camp with some friends. 

Have a great weekend!

Nice run Teresa. JLynne, I am sure you rock the look no matter what.

Amazing 20 miler for you Erika....sorry about the coach woes though for your boys and their teammates.

My turn to run a sloggy---bleh kind of run---8.8 mile fartlek (every other song pick-ups set to Deena Kastor's playlist) The uptempo music helped somewhat and then I cruised the last mile to some Mavis Staples (I'll Take You There....love her!). 

Off the grid until Monday---happy weekend all

wildchild

Carolyn

I hope Near Beer arrives soon!  I'm positive that DawnDaughter hopes so too.

No time for a run yesterday - that's two days in a row I've missed.   I took DD school shopping after work, as she starts school next Thursday and we'll be away backpacking with our Japanese friends till Wednesday night.  DH suggested we just put off school shopping till the weekend after, but DD and I agreed that's not how it's done!  How can you possibly think you could put off school shopping till two days after school starts?  

Anyway, tonight I WILL get out for a run - hopefully a longish one.

TimBo, glad to see you posting - hope your calf heals up quickly.  Is your friend bicycling from Indiana to Alaska, or flying to Alaksa with his bike?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

4 more easy miles today, wife and kids will be away all weekend...if anyone needs me I'll be on the couch watching golf and resting
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Erika – I’ll echo Karin’s sentiments – awesome 20-miler!

Wildchild – While I’m not quite done filling the lists of required school supplies, I guess I’m one of those rare ones who doesn’t buy school clothes until later, probably not until the weather begins to cool off.  But both kids will be wearing shorts to school until at least mid-September, and both of them have nice clothes from spring that fit.  I suppose when DD becomes a teenager things may change.... 

I had a little extra time this morning, and I’m still feeling like a big fat cow, so I shuffled up my schedule and ran longer today, switching tomorrow’s workout to the short run and core work planned for today. 

9 easy-paced miles (ave 9:58), including 8 x 60-second striders at random intervals.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mary, I'm so glad to hear the good news about your tests; the waiting must have been stressful. I'm not sure what those other procedures were, but I hope that you do take it easy for a few days.

My dentist (actually periodontist in this case) is an avid cyclist and understands the need to get back out there. He actually called me personally last evening just to check up on how I was doing and gave me his home and cell phone numbers in case of any problems. But I certainly don't expect any.

Hey, Timbo -- glad to see you discovering the joys of cycling in our fair state. But how about hitting the Enter key a couple of times every three sentences or so. Your posts are hard to read when they're one big block of text. Or maybe Hoosiers just don't do paragraphs.

Well, I can't compete with Erika's 21-miler, but I did get out for my long run this morning. Since I've been waking up at 5:30 all week I didn't bother to set an alarm, so naturally I overslept and didn't start until 7:15 or so when the sun was well on the rise. Fortunately my route was mostly well shaded, and I managed to get 10 miles in at slightly under a 10-minute pace ("pathetically slow" according to Jlynne). Definitely not as fast as perch and Teresa (or wildchild if she makes it out there today).

It's hard to predict how I'll do in next Saturday's Crim 10-miler. It depends a lot on the weather, but running in an event always seems to speed me up considerably. At least now I know that I can do at least a 1:35 (9:30 pace) and possibly a lot better if conditions are right.

Good luck to this weekend's racers!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, Timbo -- glad to see you discovering the joys of cycling in our fair state. But how about hitting the Enter key a couple of times every three sentences or so. Your posts are hard to read when they're one big block of text. Or maybe Hoosiers just don't do paragraphs.

Roch - Tim has webtv, rather than a regular computer, and although he does format his posts on his screen at home, when he posts them here for some reason (since the last change) all formatting is lost - very frustrating for him, and I think one of the reasons he has not been posting as much lately....

Frustratingly slow?  I posted about that same pace today as "easy-paced."  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."