Masters Running

Saturday run, life and party reports (Read 43 times)

Mariposai

No running yet, but I am looking forward to my run later. I am planning to take Divechief to one of my favorite routes. I will run, he will bike.

congrats to twocat on his magnificent half mary race this morning. Awesome job mi amigo!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

New skirt in town

You know, I was just about to hit the "post" button on a new thread for the day, and I thought I'd check to see if anyone had already started it.  Lo and behold, Mari pulled the trigger just before me!

8 easy miles in the early morning today, after which I drove into Boston for my haircut with my son.  Our appointments had originally been  scheduled for last week, but they were cancelled for the Boston Red Sox World Series parade, which travelled down Boylston Street right in front of my salon. The mayor's office asked them to close for security reasons...security will always be tighter on Boylston Street for big events from now on, I get that!

When I got home, my DH and I practiced our foxtrot, and finally nailed one of the steps that had stymied us!!

And this afternoon, I'm heading back into Boston to go dress shopping.  I'm SO not a shopper...I'm such an odd duck, I just don't enjoy it much. But when I have a single objective (in this case, a shiny gala dress!) and a 4-hour chunk of leisure to find it, I do love that.  I wish I had managed to lose a few more pounds before setting off to find the perfect dress, but it is what it is!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

...mornin' guys//........have fun mari

.......robin, after that bombing, it's a shame you have to be reminded of what you went thru

=========

..39mprnb

with steps

...........off to Ky after work

.............................good running guys

eta-

''I put a new sticker on the car today 0.0.

Some of the parents at the XC club didn't think it too funny. But hey, that's how I roll. CR Jr. thought it was hilarious too.''

CR

>>>>>>>>>>if you have to explain WHY it's funny,

you're talking to people with No Sense of Humour

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Darn, I wish I could fox trot with Robin!

Wrapped up a week of about 42 miles today and felt super. I now realize I was stupid to run 6 races in 6 weeks during September-October. It got to be too much, and with recovering from one and then taking it easy for the next one, I just wasn't putting in the work.  So all I'm doing is running now and just two more races for the year.  6 miles easy today in the park.  Long run tomorrow at the lake.

Go Mariposai and Divechief!  Spareribs

MM #7877

Running 2 Half Marathons this weekend. Treating them as just middle distance training runs and having some fun. Both are smaller races that run on country roads. Gracious, was it windy today.

Philippians 4:13.

Tramps

Ribs--6 races in 6 weeks; what a newbie mistake.  Wink

Robin--I think you should post pictures and let us vote on the gala dress. Smile  Have fun.

I slept in a bit this morning and then went out for 13 somewhat sluggish miles.  Windy day here and I kept getting pelted with falling leaves and small twigs.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

On the sticker front, I finished doing mine not long ago.  I seem to remember reading a little abuse of folks that put 5K stickers on, but I bought the bottom three and then waited until I could get to put the 26.2 on.  My way of thinking was that it would never have happened if I hadn't done the first 5K.

A little leaf raking XT and then putting away the porch furniture.  It will be an early night, as I have to leave about 6:30 to make it to packet pickup tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a good day and a run or race.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Running 2 Half Marathons this weekend. Treating them as just middle distance training runs and having some fun. Both are smaller races that run on country roads. Gracious, was it windy today.

Whew!  Good luck with your HMs.  It was very windy here, too.

Aside from the wind, it was a lovely morning for a run, sunny and 41 degrees.  But my legs are still tired and my cough is still there, so I took it easy.

My big toenail fell off this morning.  Not a whimper or complaint, it just decided, "I'm done with this foot and I"M LEAVING!"

8.2 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Nice running, fox-trotting and pool running around here! You guys are ambitious. I surely am not. Didn't run yesterday and we have a winter storm warning this weekend. After an incredible warm and snow-free October, we are in for some "significant snowfall" this weekend. Drat, and the bikepaths were all in such good shape for running. Oh well. Got a lot to do around the house and sort of feeling the need to cut back the running a bit anyway. 51 miles last week and I'm not even training for anything. Might be a perfect time to get the ol' treadmill cleaned up and ready for winter.

C-R, I love the sticker. Some people are just no fun.

Holly that is a most excellent photo. You really should get that one framed!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

2 half marathons in one weekend...nice.

I thought about jumping in the car and heading for the party at Posie's house but didn't think I'd make it in time.  Have fun!

Yeah, Ribs...I see guys racing every weekend and have never understood how they can keep it up.  I've actually gone the other way, though...I don't think I race enough.  Especially with this Hansons plan...I would be beat before I started.

Speaking of the Hansons plan...rasmussenmp warned me about this plan causing his injuries...I can see why.  My left hip and my right Achilles hurts.  I'll be ready for some down time after the marathon.

That being said...I love this plan.  It really pushes you.  It makes you feel like you're training for something...rather than just putting in the runs...which is where I had gotten to in my training.  I sure hope it works.

It sounds like everybody is getting the wind today.  25 mph winds here.

Ryan and I went out for 18 miles, this morning.  Dealing with that wind was a challenge...for me. The goal was to run a 7:17 pace.  We ended up doing it in 7:16...2:10:38.  We had a great time just talking and running...until the last 4 miles...I really struggled...Ryan helped me maintain My pace, though.  Man, I love running with that kid!  Have I ever told you that?

Okay--I'd better go and clean up the mess I made making lunch for the two of us....hmm...where is Ryan, now?

Holly, I'll join with those that think the picture is great.

Nice long runs for Tramps and Mike.

This morning, it was about 40° and there was a pretty decent wind (It sounds like a lot of you had wind, too).  I picked an out and back that had the wind from the side.  I did 8 miles at a 10:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps

Ryan and I went out for 18 miles, this morning.  [...] We ended up doing it in 7:16...2:10:38.

Shocked

Nice.

Be safe. Be kind.

rtravers I so wish my DW would have us go for dance lessons.  I have to be in worlds only couple where they guy likes dancing and the gal does not.  Sad

I ran a pretty hilly HM today.  The RA map is way off regarding how hilly it is   Using an elevation correction tool on my copy of SportTracks says the climb was 1,073.  A bit more than I had bargained for!  Finished it in 1:37:17.  I had hoped to break 1:35 but then I had not expected such a large elevation change!  Anyway, my placement seems like it was respectable at 11 OA and 2 in the 50-59 AG.  In comparison my last race had an elevation climb of 850 and my time was 1:47:50.  So that is an improvement, even if it is not quite as much as I had hoped.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner

Hello, and happy Saturday.  I hope all the racers are doing well.  High School New England Championships were here today, at Derryfield Park, rather challenging course ( runs up the back side of McIntyre ski area)  and the "home course"  for the middle school my kids both went to and for Manchester Central HS, where my DD went.  I did not get over there, but I did look at the results... holy moly there are some speedy ones. Girls winner was 17:15 and first 5 under 18 minutes; boys winner 15:08.  I think both were from Connecticut.

I ran at a much less speedy pace but I am starting to revive a bit, 10  miles on the rail trail, then vacuuming and raking xt and a 1500 yard swim.  Now lifting wine glass... and I hear cats puking so will have more cross training... best to let it dry a bit I say.

DS is practically salivating at the prospect of colder weather.  Skis and bindings went to be mounted today. He has been doing some exercises and running to prepare for the season.  DD says she is scraping the storage wax off her back country skis...   Bring on the snow!

PS Twocat, 10 minutes is a big improvement! and Robin, the dance lessons sound cool, though I would flunk

SubDood

2 half marathons in a weekend is impressive enough. Doing it 1 week after running your 2nd marathon in a 2 week span is ... well, it's inspiring! Have fun and stay healthy!