Masters Running

Monday, January 18 ML King Day Runs and Other Mischief (Read 540 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika wrote: 

Nice slushy run, Mariposai! You are a solid steady runner and I envy your resilience! It seems like no matter what is going on, you can do your job, make your family feel special, do neat things with DH and still get your mileage in. Hats off to you, dear butterfly!

Well said!  Mariposai, you really are an inspiration, and you never fail to make my heart smile.  

Erika – just to clarify, I did NOT take a muscle relaxer and then go for a long run.  The night before, almost 13 hours before my LR, I took half of a Flexoral.  However, even taking only half of the prescribed dose, even that long before my run, I still wonder if there wasn’t a residual effect the next day from it, me being such a lightweight with the stuff.

Re: 20-milers - I usually do four or five of those in marathon training, and Jan 31 will be the first of five in my Boston training.  That allows for possibly missing one due to flu or muscle pull or some such event.

No run for me today.  30-40 minutes of weights and core instead.  And of course 18 push-ups.

DH and the kids are off today for MLK Day.  Regular work day for me, though.  Enjoy, those of you who get it off!

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Holly and all to follow. Not caught up on what's going on around here after being gone for 10 days. I did see the picture of Steve and his dog, though. That brought a smile to my face. Can't wait to see the article in your newspaper.

Holly, I don't know how you manage to find the time to do all of the things you do in one day. It's okay to not have a great run every time you head out the door, especially with all you have on your plate these days.

Feel better, PDR. I think a vacation is just what the doctor ordered for you. Relax and enjoy your time off.

Still feeling bad about my "lack of an official time" from the Disney half, but I'll get over it. Out of 10 days, we had 2 or 3 where it was actually warm enough to sit by the pool. It was great to be out running without layers and layers of clothes, though. Back at the 4:30 routine this morning. Intervals on the treadmill at the Y. A mile warm-up followed with 30 minutes of intervals, followed with 5 minutes of inclined lunges. Then some stability ball stuff.

We have school today but to all those people who scored a day off, have a good one.

Good morning Holly and Jlynne!  (And everyone after us.)

I'm working today also.  DW is off but she'll likely have phone calls all day so really a work day for her too.

5 miles with 8 x 30 seconds at 5K pace, 30 seconds recovery.  Perfecto running weather.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

5 for me too, easy. 2" of slushy snow on the ground. Kids are off today, but I have shop work to do....I'm trying to farm them out to their friends' houses rather than have them soak up mucho screen time at my place. Wish me luck....

Walt

Slo

I'm Working

Jlynne....I see someone started a Cellcom Marathon Group. Oh, and I secretly rooted for the Vikings yesterday. Well, not so much the Vikings as I did for #4. It's really tough to hate someone who loves to Play like he does. {{sigh}}

Started the day with a Swim. 2000 good hard yards. Hoping to find time to squeeze a run in after work tonight.

Renee the dog

Renee and I got 12 miles in today, starting before daybreak.  Was rewarded with several wonderful sensations today--

1. One of my favorite rides was all lit up against the night sky as it was being tested this morning on one of the amusement piers I ran by  -- one single neon blaze. 

2. The ocean at Anglesea was all the way in. I mean, splashing-on-me-in as the waves crashed on the boulders that make up the wall of the seawall on which Renee and I were running.  The wall at that point is about 12 -14 ft. high, so the ocean was really churning.  It was also a beautiful muted jade green that is mesmorizing to me. 

3. Right near me, in my final mile, the scent of Christmas as the town has collected all the Christmas trees and piled them in a vacant lot.  It smelled so pretty and really helped put a spring in my step for me to finish strong.

There were probably lots of other things, but I honestly think I ran most of this run asleep.   I'm beat. 

Have a great day all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Good morning, folks.

Nono—sounds like a neat run today.

DW and I went to our running club’s annual dinner yesterday.  We ended up sitting at a table with a guy my age I know who is a fast runner.  In chatting, I discovered he just ran Disney.  This was a family trip to bring the kids to the theme park and he planned to just run the marathon for fun since he’s not a warm-weather runner.  But when the weather turned colder he decided at the last minute to put some effort into it and won second place in his AG (45-49) finishing just under 2:58.  Not too shabby!  Very nice, self-effacing guy, too. 

Also got to sit with a 70+ y.o.  runner who never misses a local race.  In fact, I learned he runs about 100 races a year!  Of course, he still has to catch up to the guy who won the 80-84 age group award!   Some amazing and inspirational folks out there. 

Easy 5.2 @ 8:32 + some core work for me today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - I missed you!

Nono - what a lovely run!

Tramps - I find people who are still running and competing in their 70's and 80's quite inspirational.  I hope I will be so blessed!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Morning folks,

6.6 recovery paced miles for me at 7:00 am in a few inches of new slushy snow. Super Granny and I went to an MLK observance breakfast afterwards. A contemplative day whether working or not.

Nice miles going here in all kinds of weather. Holly, if pressed for time, go for quality over quantity.

Wonderful descriptions from your run Nono. Hope you get some sleep soon.

" You don't have to see the whole way. Just take the first step in faith."    Martin Luther King Jr. 

Tramps, I'd love to get that 70 yr. old on RA and pick his brain for inspiration.

I had a good road run of about 3.4miles.  Ran the whole way, and had plenty of energy.  

Thanks for starting this one Holly, even though you had to go to work.  Bummer there.  You have such determination and discipline....I'm in awe.

Nono....you should be a writer. I was with you on your run. Thanks for all the sensory details.  I'm so envious!

Jlynne,  what an adorable picture.  I've been out of the loop, but know some folks from little ole' Fayetteville who did the Disney...why didn't you get an official time?  Are you a teacher? Sorry you don't have today off.

Tramps, I'm gonna be one of those old fogies who are still hobbling along in my 70's, but it'll be slooooowww.  

Woods Lady, you are my inspiration.  

I had great intentions of doing around 7 this morning, well maybe 6, but the old legs were tired so I only did 3.7.  Have a tentative 1/2 coming up in a few weeks so need to crank it up!

Gonna enjoy the rest of this day off. Next one will be President's day!

Helen

Tramps

I'm in awe of senior runners, too.  I had posted a picture of Bob--the guy I sat with at dinner--here a long time ago because his unusual attire at one particular race reminded of somebody around here....

Is that a joyful runner or what? 

And at 74 he still turns in 30-minute 5Ks like clockwork.

Though I don't think he wanders through these parts, I hope he doesn't mind my posting this.  But, hey, it's the price of being a celebrity.

Be safe. Be kind.

Jlynne,  what an adorable picture.  I've been out of the loop, but know some folks from little ole' Fayetteville who did the Disney...why didn't you get an official time?  Are you a teacher? Sorry you don't have today off.

Helen - I must not have had my D-tag on my shoe correctly because when I went to check my chip time, I had none. I crossed the finish line with my 32 year-old niece and her official time was 2:13:35. I've sent a couple of e-mails to the Disney folks but don't expect to hear anything from them. When I looked at my age group, I was 29 out of 450 which I was really happy about with the conditions being as bad as they were.

I'm not a teacher - I work for the athletic director. None of the schools here have the day off.

Slo - as much as I HATE the Vikings, Favre did have a great game. Wouldn't it be something if the Vikings and the Jets played each other in the Super Bowl?!

Nono - beautiful description of your run this morning. Hope you get a nap this afternoon!

I hope I'm still running when I turn 70 - those people are truly role models, aren't they?

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Fun dinner Tramps!

SteveP in his 70's flash forward?

Nothing today but 1x18 pushups. Knee swollen but pain free. Walking is easy but I'm icing and elevating it most of the time.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

hi!

Walt, good luck.

Jeanne, welcome back!  I'm glad you had at least a couple of nice days.   So sorry about the chip.  Sad.   

I'm working too, & still buried.   It isn't helping that I took a few things which were carefully figured out home just in case I felt like looking at them, & there they sit.  (home, that is).

Nono what an amazing run!   How's your ankle?

Nancy, I agree with Erika & Holly!

((( PDR )))

I'd better just post Sat. & today, then get back to work.  Saturday (thanks for your advice Erika & Leslie)... I debated about, almost decided just to rest but headed to the gym.   Once there I decided I wanted at least 2 hours of cardio, since I'd intended to do 12 miles.   (minds are so amazingly plastic sometimes!).   Anyway, I started with 41 min. on the arc trainer, then headed to the bike for 20 min., but it kind of hurt so I changed it to 10.   and then... (drum roll) it got worse & so I stopped at 8:46.  or something like that.   What do I win?   After that I ellipticalled but again only 10 minutes.  Upper body weight machines & stab. ball stuff.    Walked Sadie later.

Sunday was off except for another walk.

I went to the gym today again to give running a try.  Hoped for 5 miles but stopped after 3.  I was bummed about that but should be happy I could do it at all!    30 min. ellipticalling, a few lower body weight machines & stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks, hammie bridges.   & then dead bug.   I like that one.

all for now.     I think you're all inspiring.