Masters Running

Thursday May 3 Daily (Read 455 times)

Tramps

Hi gang.  I waited and waited but no one seemed to start the daily sooooo.....

I saw a sports doc yesterday (a first for me) who’s a good runner.  He did what seemed like a thorough assessment, poking and prodding, range of motion analyses, a brief treadmill jog, etc.  They did an x-ray and found no signs of a stress fracture.  He put me on an anti-inflammatory for a couple of weeks and wrote a script for PT to address hip range-of-motion issues and tight hamstrings.  He concurs that it’s likely a piriformis issue that affected my gait, creating the secondary groin soreness.  Okayed me to run as long as pain stays in the 0-3 range, starting with shorter distances. 

So…..I went out for a 2.4 mile (8:58) run today (after two weeks of essentially no running) with only modest discomfort (that flares up instantly when I hit a hill).  Maybe I’ll stick to flats as much as I can for awhile.  It’s amazing how quickly it feels like you’re starting from scratch.  But I was feeling like a slug, so it’s nice to be out again!

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Yeah Tramps. Good luck getting better. No run yet (9 hours in the car about to start) but I did do my 100 push up challenge workout. Tramps has inspired me to make an appt with the chiro. Perhaps it will help in the long run. Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

Tramps, sorry to hear about your set back. Don't worry though, it comes back faster than you think.

I was lazy this morning and skipped my run. The jury is out on whether or not I'll be able to sneak on in tonight. DD has a track meet and has taken on the role of Anchor in the 4 x 800.

It's been humid here...and we've been getting dumped on with thunder showers. More predicted for tonight. I mowed my grass last night even though it was to wet to do so. I had to raise the mower bed up as high as it would go and it still bogged down the mower.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, folks!

Tramps, hope your new doc fixes you up and you're back to running  pain-free soon.

Byll, how's your back today?
          Slo, good luck to your DD at the track meet today.  Hope it's not rained out.
          {{{{Opie}}}}  Hope you feel better!
          Tet, thanks, but I'm the one who's trying to keep up with MikeE!

Yesterday I was debating about where to run after work.  I thought maybe I'd run on a local dirt road that's about the same elevation and grade as the marathon, but roads just aren't my thing, even though this road is pretty scenic, has hardly any traffic, and has a creek running next to it.  So I listened to my heart, and did a trail run.  It was wonderful!  I saw one mule deer, one bunny,  three mountain bikers, and quite a few wildflowers, including the first Indian paintbrush of the season.  10 miles at an avg pace of 11:42, with net +/- 2750 ft elevation change.  I ran the whole thing and felt strong on the hills, except a little bit of walking at the end of mile 8 that hit about a 13% grade and went up some rock steps. Man, I love trail running.  

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I think it's loosening up a bit, thanks for asking.  It's still a bit tight and sore, but not like it was.  I'm still walking funny.  I haven;t done anything workout-wise since last Saturday.  If all goes well, I may try something short and sweet this weekend to see how the back reacts.

I have the Bayshore HM in 2 weeks.  I haven't run anywhere near 13 miles continuously in months.  Bayshore is going to be a slow one, for fun only.  I'll probably shoot for something between 1:50 to 1:55 and I'll be thrilled with that.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Howdy, folks!

Tramps, hope your new doc fixes you up and you're back to running  pain-free soon.

Slo, good luck to your DD at the track meet today.  Hope it's not rained out.
              {{{{Opie}}}}  Hope you feel better!
              Tet, thanks, but I'm the one who's trying to keep up with MikeE!

Yesterday I was debating about where to run after work.  I thought maybe I'd run on a local dirt road that's about the same elevation and grade as the marathon, but roads just aren't my thing, even though this road is pretty scenic, has hardly any traffic, and has a creek running next to it.  So I listened to my heart, and did a trail run.  It was wonderful!  I saw one mule deer, one bunny,  three mountain bikers, and quite a few wildflowers, including the first Indian paintbrush of the season.  10 miles at an avg pace of 11:42, with net +/- 2750 ft elevation change.  I ran the whole thing and felt strong on the hills, except a little bit of walking at the end of mile 8 that hit about a 13% grade and went up some rock steps. Man, I love trail running.  

This wasn't an out and back, was it?  WOW.  not bad at all for a RAW.  I think I'd need about a hundred of my lake loops to match that elevation change.

RBW this morning--just over 5 miles in a nice steady drizzle and 48°F.  reasonable pace at about 9:30.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Glad to hear the back is getting better Bill.

Hope the sports doc assessment helps Tramps.

4x800 relay, Slo? That sounds fun!

This Saturday, DS and I are going to the conf meet for the 7th/8th graders on his team. 6th graders are done with track and he's missing it. He's excited to go watch his teammates compete. Then we are going to go for a 5k run on the bike path near this HS we will be at. and then head to Ashland to the big running store. I want to get some trail running shoes.

job shadows went well yesterday. Probably not as exciting as they thought it would be, but we did go to a DUII trial. But the preliminary motions and voir dire took awhile and it's not like what you see on TV. at all. So I think they were a bit bored by some of the dryness of that aspect of the trial.

lotsa rain today. hoping for a break around the noon hour, in which case I'll go for a run. But after today we are headed for several continuous days of wonderful sun and warmth! yay! And I'm off work tomorrow so I plan on planting more goodies in my garden.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, do ten press ups every day, like cobra in yoga and bend that spine backwards. 

Home now.  I see that liar OM is trying to convince us she's 50.  No way that woman is more than 30.   Happy birthday to her anyway!

3.5 with my RP this morning, then a solid stretch at the Y.  Now I have a ton of work to do.  

I have to share this story with you as I am still laughing:

I have a new client, a very small but rapidly growing bank.  I did a day and a half of sales training for their lending officers and the room I trained them in was across the hall from the CEO's office on the 2nd floor. I met the guy briefly and he seemed like a good leader, straightforward and understanding.

So the session is over at noon and the people leave the building and go out and congregate near their cars in the parking lot, just chatting about this and that before they head their separate ways, as people will often do.  I'm in the hallway between the CEO's offfice and my training room and I see that the CEO is opening his office window.  He sticks his head out and yells "HEY, GET THE HELL OUT OF THAT PARKING LOT AND GO GET ME SOME LOANS!  LET'S SEE A LITTLE PROFESSIONALISM IN THIS BANK!"

I can't describe to you the level of hilarity and laughter this caused.  The lenders in the parking lot, the people on the second floor, all of us were hysterical.  I told the guy later that was the funniest thing I have ever seen in all my years in this business. He said, "Thanks. I work these people hard, but there's no reason why we can't have a little fun while we're at it."  That is some boss.

I wonder if any of you have ever seen your CEO let his hair down and delight the staff with some antic.  Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I wonder if any of you have ever seen your CEO let his hair down and delight the staff with some antic.  Spareribs

Oh, how I wish!   Usually I am the one performing the antic's to lighten the mood around here!     Great story Ribs!

I can't believe that OM is 50 either!   Is it April fool's day??

It sounds like you got a good assesment Tramps.  Having a reason to stay away from hills is just a bonus IMO.  Wink

C-R "In the long run"..... good play on words!! Big grin

Humid here too SLO - I actually turned our air on before leaving the house this morning so we can sleep tonight.

Speaking of bosses - he is calling me now.   Just a quick 2 miler this morning .... needed to get home for, well, for reasons I don't need to go in to.   I didn't get back out after that.  Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I feel the love in this group and know that I have a wonderful extended family out there.  Still have my appendix and doc doesn't think that's the problem but hasn't completely ruled it out.  It was a good morning except for the nothing to eat or drink restriction and got the gall bladder ultrasound done.  The grass XC course was nearby so I got in a short, easy run.  Just as I was heading into the Y, the abdominal pain started.  I couldn't wait to get my shower and get out of there.  Going to bed now.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OrangeMat

MM #6177

{{{Opie}}}

Tramps, I know exactly how that feels, believe me. I hope you don't have a long time to ride the recovery circus. Three times was more than enough for me. So hard to stay patient, to hold back and do the right thing. Harder than running, for sure.

Ribs says I'm a liar, eh? As I said on FB, cut me open and count the rings, yes, I'm that old! But hey, the way I see it, all the cool kids are turning 50, so I'm in excellent company. Smile

Had a lovely birthday run (6 miles) with my friend Lucy (who knows I'm not lying!). We did my old hill repeat loop which I haven't done in ages. Felt good to feel strong once again, or at least be on the verge of approaching my former strength. Last night I went to a mixed level yoga class, my first in this most recent round of recovering, and I was so happy to be feeling like my former self again. It's been a long year. I am SO glad to have it all behind me now, you have no idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... onward and upward, that's the way to go!

steve, belated happy birthday to your daughter.  Tramps, sounds like you are on a comeback path.  Slo, good luck to your daughter in her trackmeet tonight.  opie, healing vibes.  OM, happy birthday.

Nice long rund for wild.

This morning, it was in the high 50s, there was a light wind, and it was overcast.  I got in 8 miles in just under 1:20 for a 10:59 pace.  I took a break at 2+ miles as there was some rain and thunder.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

One page of the daily at 5:00 PM? Where is everyone today? There are too many people bordering on the DL. Healing vibes to all of you and Opie, I hope they find the answer to your stomach issues. That's gotta be rough.

OM - it sounds like you had the perfect birthday. Hope there's still a nice dinner waiting this evening.

Carolyn - you are SO ready for that marathon. I can't wait to see how you finish!

I'm getting excited for the RA people who will be visiting Green Bay in a couple of weeks. The Cellcom folks raised registration numbers and while the half is close to full (94% the last time I looked), the full still has a lot of openings. Any more takers????

Heavy rain forced me inside this morning. 4 miles on the eliptical, 4 miles on the bike and 3 miles on the track with a half hour of free weights to finish things off.

My niece had a wonderful "bluegrass" funeral yesterday. The place was packed and when I left, several of her friends were standing by their truck having a beer in her honor. You may think this sounds totally unappropriate, but Cheryl would have loved it. She was a free spirit who was beautiful inside and out.  I agree with Opie's remarks about this group being like an extended family. I got a lot of PM's from folks and I can't tell you how that made me feel. Thank you so much for your support and friendship.

And Spareribs? Thanks for the laugh Smile 

Mariposai

Posting from my iPhone here, so I can not comment on people's run or life happening, but I have a little break from my monster work schedule today so I wanted to say hi and post my 8 miler this morning. I decided to go up the hill where the apricot, pears and apple orchards are in full blooms. My running buddie and I sure has a great fun chatting away as I charged up the hill. 2 deer sighting and no bearSmile))))

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Wonderful 10 mile run home from work partially along the harbor trail near Old Ironsides - the profile of the ship against the gray sky and the boston harbor was a picture waiting to be seen (no deer or bears - perhaps some 2 legged coyotes)

have a lovely evening everyone and ((hurts)),

marj