Masters Running

Month-ending Tuesday, 1.31.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's excellent workouts:

Jlynne (Had, had. had no time, except for 5.5 on the TM and  20 min of weights & core, with retirement coming at the end of the school year)
    Tramps (6 shot-snapping miles with snow and critters)
    Henrun (3 slow & steady on the intercostal Riverwalk, pre-happy hour)
    Holly (36 lengths or 900 yards in the pool)
    Dave (4 weekday miles)
    Catwhoorg (6 crisp & sunny miles)
    Tet (.5 mile pre-heart check-up park circuit, then .5 sprinkling mile in the afternoon)
    C-R (S&S 3.1 lunchtime sweat pant miles)
    BerthaSlayer (5 TM miles while the sun shone)
    Flats (9 mi/2 hr. commute, then 6.4 post-work miles on the TM)
    Mike (8 "not shoveling the track" miles on the streets)
    Steve (2.7 post-sunset miles with a following faced tree)

Nice photos, Tramps and Marj and Enke and Steve. I use Firefox all the time, loading my photos via Photobucket, and rarely have problems loading or viewing.

Photos and stories and Scary Clown Dudes from the Clam Beach Run are interesting and daunting. Shoes on - shoes off.

Has anyone seen C-R’s lost tights??

Red squirrels abound, eh Enke?

WC - well, at least let the soreness and swelling go down on that ankle before you start running again.

I managed to finish the local Winter Warrior Challenge with 6.55 RW miles this morning. This is the first time I've been out on the roads every day for a month (actually, since Dec. 28). How'd I do overall in the challenge? I won't know till tomorrow, after everyone logs in their mileage from today. But it kept me motivated to get out and walk while I've been in recovery mode, so it was very helpful in that regard. Now I have to come up with my own challenge for Feb., but I've got all day to figure that out. It was 18F with a breeze this morning, and was quite refreshing.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Gym day. ARC & weights. Last gym day before Tallahassee. I talked to my daughter last night and they may keep our oldest granddaughter out of school on Friday so we'll have an extra day to hang out. I can't wait to hit the road but I have 2 work days to get through first.  Race morning is supposed to be 50° and partly cloudy.

Did you hear about the longest running streak in history coming to an end?
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/01/30/the-longest-running-streak-ever-ended-saturday-at-19032-days/?utm_term=.0edb6addd62c

The longest recorded running streak in history ended Saturday when England's Ron Hill completed a one-mile run. The 78-year-old former Olympian did not run Sunday for the first time in 52 years and 39 days — a streak that dates back to Dec. 21, 1964, five days before the Beatles topped the Billboard charts with the single “I Feel Fine.”

Good morning Jay, Dave and all to follow. Good job overdoing the challenge Jay! You fit right in here

47 1/2 years? Holy cow! That's a LONG streak. Have fun in Tallahassee Dave. The weather forecast sounds perfect. Hope it holds up for you. Speaking of records, I saw on Sports Center yesterday that a guy ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents. And. He. Did. Them. All. Under 3:00! Then he ran a few more miles, just so he could say he had a 200 mile week. Wow.....

I went to one of our local running stores yesterday and got a fitted sock specifically designed to help idiots who choose to keep running with plantar fasciitis issues. It seemed to help. Standing on concrete for 4 hours every day at my job certainly isn't helping things. Anyway, 5 miles on the treadmill this morning with 20 minutes of leg exercises and core.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

Tramps

Interesting info re: pics.  Marj—it’s not anything you did, given that everyone else could see them fine.  Jay—that’s exactly what I did—Firefox + Photobucket.  Not sure why I’m having issues (which continue today).

Jay--congrats on finishing the challenge (see runner's creed below)

Leslie—that was a great video yesterday.

Enke—that looks like wonderful x-country conditions.  I’m jealous.

I planned to do 10 miles this morning but noticed that I was just 11.6 miles shy of a 200-mile month.  So, of course, I followed the runner’s creed (“Never ignore a totally arbitrary and meaningless challenge.” ) and did 11.6.  My first 200-mile month since November 2014.  Just easy miles now to build some endurance but it’ll be time soon to see how my knee handles a little speed work.

Be safe. Be kind.

I went to one of our local running stores yesterday and got a fitted sock specifically designed to help idiots who choose to keep running with plantar fasciitis issues.

Ha!   That's how I'm feeling about my hammies at the moment.  I'm an idiot

Holy cow!  That's quite a streak! 

Good job on the challenge, Jay.  Somehow "18F with a breeze" sounds a little more than "refreshing."  Dang . . .

6 miles this a.m. in chilly conditions.  Some excitement at Round Table Pizza at 4:45 as I was cruising by.  Police officers, along with the firetruck with the ladder out to put an officer on the roof of the restaurant.  Two officers standing in the doorway, one with a dog saying something along the lines of, "Come out or I will send the dog in to find you.  If the dog finds you, he will bite you."  Pause - Repeat two more times.  The two officers eventually walked in and I kept going.  I don't know if they turned the dog loose.  When I came back by about 15 min later, they were still there.  I thought about offering my assistance, but it looked like they had the situation handled. 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

47 1/2 years? Holy cow! That's a LONG streak. 

Yup.  I'm betting he was even able to run through the births of his children.   

Jay - well done, but that's no surprise, coming from you.  

Leslie - but did you get a slice of pizza?

DD did not get kicked off the team, but she did get suspended for 3 games.  Given that there are only 4 games left in the season, she is pretty steamed about it, but oh well.

Short on time this morning, so I only got in 4 miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I went to one of our local running stores yesterday and got a fitted sock specifically designed to help idiots who choose to keep running with plantar fasciitis issues. It seemed to help. Standing on concrete for 4 hours every day at my job certainly isn't helping things. Anyway, 5 miles on the treadmill this morning with 20 minutes of leg exercises and core.

So...if another idiot wanted to find some of those socks...what is the name of the sock that idiot would be looking for?

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 in weather that was +20 degrees compared to yesterdays run. Very difficult to adjust on the fly to these wild swings.

171.6 Total miles for January.

Best month since May 2016.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So...if another idiot wanted to find some of those socks...what is the name of the sock that idiot would be looking for?

for a friend of your's, right Mike?

It had warmed up to 20° by the time I made it out, but it was refreshing.  3.1 miles that felt qucik, but I had no way of knowing, because I apperently started the Garmin before it had actually found all its satelites.  Have to see what the download shows.

Of course she's ticked off--it was totally not her fault, amiright, Holly?  And those people at school know even less than her parents, which is saying a lot   BTDT, but DD survived and is adulting at a pretty decent level.  This too shall end.

Happy travels, Dave.  Sound pretty IRC for FLA weather.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Busy in here today.

Just a quick minute form my work. Busy busy. Only got a scan of the daily but 3 games is interesting. Is that similar to other actions on other school players? Curious. Our place is pretty strict and they usually have 1 game unless its really a bad action.

Got 5 miles at a little faster pace and everything held together. Process is working. Need to remain patient.

Still no luck on the tights. I am actually thinking of going into XC kids room to search. Not my first choice since it smells in there but alas its the only place left unless they walked out. Possible but I do launder them from time to time.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Got 5k in  (i was supposed to do 5 miles but I'm whipped today) to finish with 172.6 for the month. Time trial tomorrow so in saving up what little energy i have left.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Squeezed in 4.2 miles before day 2 of 3 12's!! Just 2 more hours and 1 more 12 hour shift then I am on vacation!!

Have to say that 21 degrees felt a lot colder this morning- my body felt dressed appropriately, but my fingers never warmed up!!

Happy Tuesday!!

denise

spacityrunner

2 miles in 27 minutes and they felt hard.  My poor legs just didn't want to go.  It was a beautiful warm (70) sunny day for a run so I was glad to be out there.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - I should'a run the full five yesterday and the total'd've been 100 miles instead of 95.

Did better today: 5-mile ‘mute at 42o w/stiff wind off the lake (10mph) .
                              Reading about Ron Hill and the 7-7-7 Club
                              inspired me actually to run two of this morning’s
                              five-mile ‘mute, the first actual running since
                              the Seattle Marathon in November. 
                              Ron Hill
                              Jay - thanks for the info on Ron Hill,
                              a name well-known to long-time marathoners

when he won the New York Marathon in 1980

(with Greta Waitz). .
                              Even though my own 40 years without missing
                              a YEAR seems as if I’ve been running forever, Hill’s
                              52 years without missing a DAY(!) beats my lifetime
                              running streak when I once ran seven days in a row
                              in 1985 by 18,993 days.
                              Further, unlike other elites who seem to bail out of running
                              altogether when they’re no longer as competitive
                              as they think they should be, I bet there’s thousands
                              of runners just like us who have fond memories
                              of running in some race or the other
                               with one of the great ones.
                              7-7-7
                              Jeanne - thanks too.
                              In 1997, I got to run with one of the first 7-7-7 record-holders
                              at the Christmas Marathon south of Seattle (168 days by Hajime Nishi
                              for the under seven MONTHS record as was the standard in those days)
                              and again with him ten years later in its nearby sister-holiday Valentine
                              Marathon (Nishi never runs the same marathon course twice) where,
                              by coincidence unknown to either of us, Richard Takata was about
                              to set a new 7-7-7 record in less than seven WEEKS (29da/11hr). .
                              Now, with already 26 members of the 7-7-7-DAYS Club,
                              they got another two dozen at the Sydney Marathon
                              on 1/29/17, including U.S. Olympic Marathoner <Ryan Hall>
                              in 5:15:34 for fifth place in this year's 7-7-7 (PB - 2:04 in Boston

2011 for fourth place!) celebrating his marathon retirement

announcement of 1/15/2017.  Sorry that he won't keep

on running with the rest of us, though, as did Ron.   
                              $38,000
                              ps mikeE - the $38,000 for the week-long charter to marathons
                              around the world might be more economical than trying to accumulate
                              different continents’ marathons one-by-one over the years and decades, . . .
                              or you could just skip it and save your money so you can have some
                              change handy for kids and grand-kids in case they have any perceived
                              financial emergencies need your help in the future.
                              even more idiocy
                              ps - Though there’s no triathlon in Antarctica
                              yet, there a new 7-7-7 being created for triathletes
                              for when they make one up down here.

Membership currently only requires three continents.

With 'em here and Japan, too bad Hawaii isn't a continent.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

..hi guys......

back from Knocksville.......YET AGAIN

==========

managed

to log in 3 30-min HH on GreenWays,

bumped the handweights up to 2-lb, so better work-out

with No Back Pain (thank goodness)

hopefully

can get back to PoolRunning (which I miss)

..........good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....