Masters Running

Monday's Palindrome: 6.13.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just so tired of hate and violence.  Can't think of anything else to say at the moment.

Still trying to wrap my head around today's happenings in Orlando. It's not happening. Such a ridiculous tragedy. What are we doing as a country? I just can't stand it.

One of the many horrible aspects of this is that too many factions are politicizing this terrible event, and, ultimately and sadly, nothing will change. Evanflein, I'm afraid that is what we are doing as a country. Apparently violence, or the acceptance of violence, is being used to justify something that I can't understand or accept.

OK. Too much racewalking and yard working over the weekend, and so I am very glad that today is my SRD. I also have a meetingful morning, and a 7pm meeting, so I wouldn't have been able to focus on a workout this morning anyway.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Apparently violence, or the acceptance of violence, is being used to justify something that I can't understand or accept.

How can a person have so much hate in him that he could kill so many innocent victims? And how do we, as a country, find a way to stop all of these senseless tragedies? What kind of a world will our children and grandchildren be forced to grow up in? And - all politics aside here - how many times has poor President Obama had to get up and address the nation on another massive loss of lives? It just makes me incredibly sad.

5.5 miles this morning in a light rain. Kind of sets the tone for today...

TammyinGP

How can a person have so much hate in him that he could kill so many innocent victims? And how do we, as a country, find a way to stop all of these senseless tragedies? What kind of a world will our children and grandchildren be forced to grow up in? And - all politics aside here - how many times has poor President Obama had to get up and address the nation on another massive loss of lives? It just makes me incredibly sad.

5.5 miles this morning in a light rain. Kind of sets the tone for today...

I read 15 times JLynne. such a tragedy. every.single.one. of.them.  I can't fathom the hatred out there either, but it's embedded deeper in far too many people that we can even wrap our brains around. 

Will probably get in a short run after work, then maybe some tennis with David. He's got 4 days left of school. He said to me last night that for weeks now he's been so anxious for the school year to get over and now that it's almost here, he's kind of sad about it. I think the reality is sinking in that he's half way done with HS and then he's off to college. Time is going by quickly.

Tammy

I am still in England and the news came over the internet yesterday about the shooting. A desire to kill lots of people you do not like has a long tradition in the human species. I suspect we will never eradicate it. With that bit of cheery observation I will quit.

TammyinGP funny, I could hardly wait for HS to end so that I could get off on my own. I suspect my parents were not too unhappy to see me go either! We are all teenagers once.

This morning I ran just shy of 7 miles in York. After that my DW and I took the train back to London. There we checked into the hotel the conference had booked for us. We were horrified at how awful the room was! Maybe the tiniest, most horrible hotel room I have ever seen. It was hot. It smelled. It was awful! I called up the conference organizer saying we needed a new room. Plan B was to just leave, lose our deposit and find another hotel. The conference came through with another room. Less awful, but not anything to write home about. I will however write to TripAdvisor when I review this awful place. Fortunately, my DW and I are likely to spend relatively little time in the room given our schedules over the next few days.

My run must have coincided with bunny breakfast time. There were more rabbits out munching away than I have ever seen outside of a farm. Below is a picture of two of the little guys.

Once in London I had to take a picture of this queue. Take a look at the sign. See it? Now do you know why these people are all lined up in front of a wall?  There sure are a LOT of fans out there!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

It's so hard to watch the news but I couldn't seem to drag myself away this morning.  The image from one newscast of the people outside hearing cellphones ringing inside, over and over, as loved ones tried to reach their family members is particularly haunting.

Twocat - thanks for the bunny picture.  I could use a bunny picture today.

Did I mention that DD started this weekend working as a caddy at a local country club?  She made $40 for one round on Saturday morning, pretty good money for a 13yo.  When I went to pick her up afterward, the parking lot looked like a car show: Porsches, Lamborghinis, Corvettes, etc., all shined up to a sparkle, waiting while their owners golfed or swam or just "had drinks at the clubhouse."  Strange seeing how the other half lives.

45 minutes of weights and core and PT exercises this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Did I mention that DD started this weekend working as a caddy at a local country club?  She made $40 for one round on Saturday morning, pretty good money for a 13yo.  When I went to pick her up afterward, the parking lot looked like a car show: Porsches, Lamborghinis, Corvettes, etc., all shined up to a sparkle, waiting while their owners golfed or swam or just "had drinks at the clubhouse."  Strange seeing how the other half lives.

45 minutes of weights and core and PT exercises this morning.

Considering a new career, Holly?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Funny, all those tourists for a wall.

I saw a white rabbit, like a pet rabbit, on the side of the road Saturday.  He wouldn't move - I was worried he was going to get hit by a car.  It was a bit surreal though, seeing him.

No run yet, might run tonight, but most likely tomorrow am.

Got my plumbing fixed, nice to have a boyfriend who actually likes, yes likes doing plumbing jobs.  Although there was a bit a cursing.

Holly, that's a cool job for a 13 year old!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

I ran 3 this morning and did some core work.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five miles on The Red Baron under cloudy skies trying to rain

after yesterday's sunny 80-degrees but not doing a very good job of it.

Congratulations to the happy posies

on DS-1's graduate degree.

Did he wear his beloved Chako's?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I survived the two days of dance recitals!

I ran 4 miles tonight after my chiropractor appointment, then mowed the lawn.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

This will be a bizarre post. If you don't want to be exposed to it. Avert your eyes.

I have been lurking on and off while on the extended DL.

During this time, I summoned the energy to fly with Ralph to Denver and, with stops in Boulder and Fort Collins to visit friends, we ended up in Casper, Wyoming where Ralph collected his 48th State. Only Hawaii and Alaska remain.

The Casper Marathon starts at 0630 so I drove Ralph to the Events Center and then went back to the hotel at the bottom of the hill and planned my next move. I decided to go to St. Patrick's Catholic church for 0800 mass.

Glad I did. The pastor was incredibly dynamic, the music was uplifting, and the parishioners were welcoming. During his homily, the pastor told us to read a psalm and a chapter from one of the Gospels this week. I am very upset with myself because I cannot remember the psalm number nor the chapter he told us to read!  I thought about emailing him but, I can't find his email address and perhaps that ship has sailed.

I made it back to the marathon with plenty of time to cheer a lot of slow half marathoners and a lot of fast marathoners and Ralph.

Fast forward to last night.

I had the most incredibly vivid dream! More vivid than almost any I can remember. And I remember this one because it has been seared into my soul.

The dream:

Someone but I do not know who is driving and I am a passenger in a non-descript vehicle. The scenery around us is lovely but nothing spectacular. However the lighting is odd and then kind of flashy and suddenly we see strange events unfold around us but all in a flash.

We somehow are aware but there is nothing audible but we are aware that the world is ending.  We look at each other smile and sort of even jokingly say, "Well. I wonder if we will go to heaven or hell? ha ha"  Then a bright light flashes for a millisecond and we again look at each other and say, "Cool. We made the cut."

We were then in heaven.  I can't describe it except that we knew nothing but peace. It was sort of "other worldly".  Kind of tradtional heaven stuff. A bit of a cloud like place with harps and gold but also comfortingly natural with greenery. And we felt nothing but peace. I can honestly say none of the world's troubles pierced the aura of peace in that place.

And then I probably just slept some more or woke up and acknowledged that I had just experienced an extraordinary dream.

I know it was still night time and I know I did fall back asleep. When I woke up for the day I thought, "Wow. That was some dream. It was so real."

So. Just now. When I was trying to find those chapters and verses to no avail. I read TwoCat's post. And I read his tag line at the bottom of the page. For some reason, the comfort I was seeking was found there. Not the soda bread recipe. The other part.

MTA:

I think I found the chapters Father told us to read last week:  Psalm 30  and Luke chapter 8

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Buehrle - awesome post!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."