Masters Running

Friday, 11.4.16 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I could care less about what is on the Starbucks cups. Actually, no, I couldn't care less...

Good 5, 15, and 30 of cross-training, Jlynne.

Congrats on the rain-avoidance and your standard 3.1 miler, Stumpy. I hope you stayed awake later on.

I'm glad you enjoyed some or the remaining daylight on your 3 after work, Tammy.

Good 2.5er start to your day, Holly.

Sorry about the lost post, TwoCat. Great photo from Southport Beach. Travel safely to Indy.

Good 10-miler around the lake in the Fall weather, Paul.

Good 7-day taper and positive weather attitude for your race tomorrow, Tet. But maybe wear an umbrella hat... Running is definitely cheaper if you keep your thongs in your pocket - they last so much longer that way.

Good work around the hospital during DD's PT, TomWhite.

Congrats on the 4.11-miler and the hair cut, Dave. I hope you succeed in taking today off.

Good 5.8 in 50 on the dot, Evanflein. I'm sorry you don't like the Ghosts, and am glad you could avoid them for another day.

Good lurking and walking, Henrun!

Congrats on another social 4, LaT.

I went for an easy 3.3 miler this morning, and it just wasn't working; my hamstring is still complaining, even on a very easy workout. I'm going for a massage to try to loosen it up tonight, but I've decided that it would be more foolish than even I am to race that 5K tomorrow. I was looking forward to it, but it is officially off the table. So it goes.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker be really careful about that hamstring. Mine benched me from running for two years.

Day T-2 to the race was a bit of an unwanted adventure. My DW and I had booked a late flight so that she could catch it after work. Translation: Last flight out of LGA to IND for the night. Mid-day I got a text from the airline saying the flight was delayed 45 minutes. No explanation as to why. On the way to the airport the app tells me the flight is now pushed back another 45 minutes. Get to the airport, another delay of 30 minutes. All told, we left about two hours and fifteen minutes late.  Just what I needed. We finally rolled into the hotel near midnight.

Day T-1 to the race. It is supposed to be mostly sunny and cool today but right now it is overcast and in the 60's. It would be nice to see it clear up a bit, at least this afternoon. Plan today is to get breakfast, go to the expo, drive the course and then hang out at the hotel until we meet a friend of mine for dinner.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just dropping in to brag about my daughter and granddaughters winning the Minnesota High School Girls Soccer Championship, last night!

Okay--gotta get back to work.  Good luck, tomorrow, Twocat!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mike - get debbie in there too!

maybe wear an umbrella hat.

Rainbow umbrella hat | Umbrella Rainbows | Pinterest

Jay -

I'm kind of an expert on foul-weather running and first tried the rainbow umbrella hats twenty-or-thirty years ago. Unfortunately,  they're so lightweight and hard to secure that they easily fly off in the slightest breeze (or was it me running so fast in those day? Smile ).  therefore, after inserting a plastic liner around the inside of the brim, I've been using Japanese sugegasa straw rice field hats I first started using over there in 2009 as they can be tied down around the chin.

With “heavy rain” still predicted for tomorrow’s In-Unity-We-Run NYC Remembrance Marathon, I’m thinking of adding a coat “cape” (like the 99¢ one Holly had at Portland) from the outer rim of the back of the hat to keep my back dry without letting moisture build up on the inside as is common in plastic raincoats.  We’ll see. 
          Glad I won a pair of Brooks Ghosts last week so now I can say I’m running barefoot ‘cause I don’t want to get my new shoes wet.

photo, if it works, by glenn tachiyama, best trail photog in the PNW, if not anywhereif it works

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jay, that's a bummer about the race but I'd listen to those that have had hamstring troubles. Just ask MikeE and others too. Speaking of MikeE, congrats to the soccer team, I'll bet that was fun to watch. Isn't this Minnesota weather awesome???  70° and almost no wind on November 4th! I recall having below zero temps some years by now. It's too bad we put the motor boats away already. We still have the canoe or paddleboat,  hmmmmm......... maybe I can talk MrStarr into a paddle and a bonfire tonight.

Twocat, best of luck with the race, so sorry about the delayed flight. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Tet - I love the picture, have a great time at the race. Your plan to stay dry sounds like it could work.

Tomwhite, when do you get to go home? I'll be Pickles misses you!

Well, two nights ago I ran the lake (4.7 miles) in the fastest time all year!  I wish now I wouldn't have stopped to fix my shoelaces. I don't have any races in the near future so decided to give blood yesterday. I have been dragging all day and even took a little rest at lunch. I suppose my running will be slower for a while but that's OK. I thought of RCG's blood drive on Coolrunning. It makes a difference to so many people.

Have a greta weekend everyone. We will still be having great weather for the next week or so. Time to put up the Christmas lights while we don't need gloves, hats and mittens.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Dave59

Nice picture MikeE. I like those matching red converse.

I did take the day off for the most part.  A cat woke me up at 5:15 so I got up and did a little bit of work while I had coffee and waited for my body to get fully awake.  Then I had a good workout at the gym.  I actually did more than I planned which is a real rare thing for me.

And then I took the rest of the day off to relax. Mostly sitting around reading, but I also burned up some time watching TV.  A while ago I started watching Blue Bloods on Netflix.  I am up to the middle of season 3.  It took a few episodes to get into the show, but I grew to like it.

Jay – yeah to a massage!

Mike – congrats on the soccer talent in your family

Tet – greta pic

Starr – congrats on your fast run and thanks for donating blood – as an oncology nurse, I can tell you it is appreciated!

3 mile run of 6 hill repeats on 2 tired legs = I won’t be up L’8 and most likely in bed B-4 9 = 1 very tired runner

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

evanflein

Sorry about the race, Jay. But smart to be on the safe side.

Starr, we're having pretty amazing weather here, too. Colder than you guys, of course, but it's not typical to have sunny days with highs in the 20's and very little snow (none in lots of spots). That will all change soon though, as highs starting tomorrow will be in the teens and dropping form there, but nothing drastic. We are wondering when we'll get snow though... bare ground and cold temps mean frozen pipes.

Congrats on the soccer stars, Mike! Way to keep it all in the family!

4.6 easy miles for me today. I have a hard time keeping the pace "easy" and have too many "GA" type runs. I think this is why my legs feel so fatigued sometimes and last week's long run was not good. So I'm trying some discipline for a change (ha!) and kept the pace and effort nice and easy today. It was nice to have that last hill before finishing not seem so hard!

SteveP

Sorry about doing the smart thing, Jay.

Love the picture, Tet.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - congrats on the soccer stars!

Tet - are those shoes you are wearing in the picture?

Twocat - I hope your race goes well!  I thought about trying to come see you finish, since you are only one state away, but have too much on my plate this weekend, so I will just be with you in spirit.

Swimming on Friday for me, 52 lengths(26 laps) plus 3 miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."