Masters Running

Soggy Sunday 10/2 (Read 34 times)

Good morning good people! I hope everyone will have a great Sunday with a nice run at some point.

I have an idea - Jay can keep recapping in the morning, and we'll have Erika do one in the evening, just in case we missed anything

Lots to comment on but it will have to wait until later. I'm headed over to DS#1 and DIL's to drive down to Elkhart Lake for the Tough Mudder. Our start time is 9:30.  Oh yeah. And it's raining. And it's 55° Some people did it yesterday and told us to wear everything we could since they were so cold  cramping was a huge issue. I'm not looking forward to this....

Will report in with a recap if I survive.

Carpe Diem everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

GO JEANNE!!!!!

mrrun

Go Jeanne and any other racers!

Went out this morning (in drizzle, not rain) for 2 miles to buy a challah for tonight, followed by standing in line with all the other Jews.  Running back home, there was a backlog of cars near Boston College - looking for parking places for 10 am Mass.

Lots of good running and walking going on and ((hurts)) and back to lurking mode....

marj

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good luck to all racers.

Today I was going to run 11 but still struggling with some mojo especially with the lack of sunlight now happening and all the rain we have been getting. I will get over it, I am sure. Anyway, I downgraded the 11 to 5 but then I had to detour a train so it bumped it up to 6 miles. The 6 felt really good whereas if I had run the 11 I am not sure if it would have felt so good so I am happy with it.

Waiting now for hubby to return from his tennis game and then we will head out to a local trail where we will be meeting with others to do some cleanup. People have used it too often as a dumping ground in previous years and we all wanted to give back to our trail.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

coastwalker

Mornin' Jeanne, Mike, Marj, Lori, and those still on the roads on communing with their pillows.

I hope Jeanne survived the Mudder in the rain.

Sounds like a busy morning in Beantown, Marj.

I'm glad the 6-miler worked out for you this morning, Lori. Thank you and the group for the trail clean up.

There was a half marathon that went by our home this morning, and a lot of the course covered some of my regular routes. So I got started early and did a few mile on my own. I went in the opposite direction from the half-milers for a few miles and got some very quizzical looks from the racers. Then I turned around, tucked into the middle/back of the pack and raced with them for almost 6 miles till I got back home. Most of those last 5+ miles were near my half marathon race pace, so I worked harder than I planned for this week's long workout, but it was still good. The other racers around me must have wondered what was going on when I just stopped at the end of our driveway (just before mile 9 on the course), picked up the newspaper, and walked to the house. 13.8 RW miles in drizzle/mist and 51F temps.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Lori,

Trail cleanup is a great way to give back. We all benefit from your hard work. I try to do the same for our river trails here. River cleanup in the spring so we can kayak on a river less the beer cans and tires. Also we clear all the winter deadfall blocking passage.

Jlynn,

brrrrr wet and 50s all day . My BIL and his two sons did a tough muddier two weeks ago and it took them 5 hours.  It was much warmer though. Hope you have as much fun as they did.

11.75 miles in the early morning fog.  The sun is poking out now so hopefully I can get the lawn mowed later today. It's been so wet all week it looks like a hay field out there.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

The other racers around me must have wondered what was going on when I just stopped at the end of our driveway. . .

Lori - Good on you for giving back to the trails.

Go, JLynne!!!!

It's RAINING AGAIN!!  (insert dancing bananas).  I know the novelty of this will wear off as we enter winter, but for now - YAY!  IT'S RAINING AGAIN!!  Just praying this is heading in the Santa Cruz direction 'cause there's a huge wildfire down there that's already destroyed 12 homes and 16 other structures. 

I'm at work all day today, so I guess I'd better get to it.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

The other racers around me must have wondered what was going on when I just stopped at the end of our driveway (just before mile 9 on the course), picked up the newspaper, and walked to the house. 13.8 RW miles in drizzle/mist and 51F temps.

Jay, I'll bet a few of those runners wished they could have joined you! Nice job on the speed workout.

Good for you, Lori. I hate it when people trash the trails. It actually doesn't happen often around here, but we have a lot of litter on the bikepaths which go next to the roads. And yes, you're probably much happier with your 6 than you would've been with 11.

Nice run, Larry. You got a race on the calendar?

Steve, shouldn't Tag be wearing orange or bright yellow? You guys sure cover some nice trails. Next time I'm there, we'll go, k?

Waiting to hear how Jeanne did in that tough mudder. I admire the hell out of her for doing that.

My back is pretty sore from all the yardwork yesterday. I hope it won't be a problem with today's run. I really figure I don't even need to run today, but I'd like to get over 40 for the week and need 11 to do that. It's going to be another gorgeous day here, but cooler by about 10 degrees (so we'll maybe see 50). I might need gloves.

RCG, it's neat you got to enjoy Maui, Ralph got state #49, and you've been able to run some.  tomw, I hope your daughter is doing ok with her broken leg.  Holly, nice new record pool distance.  wild, happy birthday to your husband.  Dave, "hi", nice 5K wiith minimal training.  Aamos, good 5K and 10 miles for the day.  Tammy, way to go in your 10K.  spinach, good trail race.  jlynne, I hope the Tough Mudder went well.

Nice long runs and walks for LaT, fatozzig, Jay, and Hallar.  Good job on the speedwork, Jay

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

Rest day for me.  Doing the 5k after 2-3 months of almost no running left me with a lot of sore places.

I would have loved to seen the reactions from the racers when Jay picked up the paper and walked into his house.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Made it out for 3.1 miles slllooowwwy around the lake this morning.  Dave--I have a little idea of what you were feeling, but I was only off for 2-3 weeks, not months.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Waiting to hear how Jeanne did in that tough mudder. I admire the hell out of her for doing that.

Me, too!

Steve - I was wondering the same as Erika. Tag is nearly the size of a deer....

Okay, a couple of pictures from the Homecoming Dance outfits.  DD and 4 of her girlfriends went as a pack, dinner out and then slumber party after at her best friend's house.  We went to a local arboretum to take pictures before they went on to dinner, and there were hundreds of others there doing photos as well, since this was homecoming weekend for several local high schools.  DD is in the charcoal dress.

And here you can see my hairstyling skills.  I was very happy with the result.  Lots of girls had their hair professionally styled before the dance, but I thought DD's looked on par with most of them (and way less expensive).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, and 12 miles for me today doing the walk/run thing.  Why is this not getting easier?  And I was having some pain in the knee and also in the ball of my right foot, so I decided to stop there.  If I am going to get injured, I would rather it was AT Portland, rather than BEFORE.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Sorry, one more.  This is DD and her best friend of the last few years.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Holly your DD is beautiful.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**