Masters Running

MLK Monday 1/21/19 (Read 39 times)

SteveP

Holly put in 5 on the mill and 25 minutes on the recumbent bike. 36.5 miles for the week!! YES!

Tramps knocks out a 5K.

Coastwalker - Jay put in two miles of cross training after a bout of wisdom.

Jlynne checks in after a bout of generosity. She's logged two miles at the"Y".

Tom White clucks in with 40 minutes on the NordicTrak.

RunnerKSA gets in 4.6 miles.

Dave59 examines why we make "X'. The only correct way in number 5.

MikeE checks in. Ryan's hip sounds rough.

AnneB gets on the treadmill for 4.3 miles.

MarathoninginMT has an enjoyable 6.12 miles.

Joe618 gets an 8 mile long run, though a tad slippery. 38+ for the week. He's making me contact lenses.

Fatozzig's DH is pumped up for his birthday! I hope your Monday goes well.

Henrun gets a snowy walk in and prepares to fire up the vocal cords.

Tetsujin209 puts in two, 2 miles runs that incorporates cool stair systems. He ends the weeks with 100 + miles (give or take a bunch) and like a brazilian stairs.

Bioguy is blown away in cooking class and gets in a nice 6 miles.

Quickadder gets together with a few people and logs a respectable 26.2 miles.

Surly Bill has a rest day.

Mariposai Seattles up for a nice 6.

Falconfixer gets 6+ on the trails.

StarrRuns dives into some R&R. Enjoy the warmth.

DW and I donned the foul weather gear after Church and hit the trails with our dog and two loaners for 2 miles. We went along an artificial gully from an abandoned rail road. We were pretty generous with the Musher's Secret for the hounds.

I put in an additional 6 on the treadmill and ended the week with 40+ miles.

Rochrunner suggested Houghton Lake Tip Up Town celebration was a booze fest. It's cleaned up a tremendous amount since the last time I was there. Alcohol is only permitted inside the beverage tent and it's a very nice family venue. I listened to a friend's group play a few sets and split as the booze started to flow freely. The director and a producer of the movie "Dogman" had a booth and was selling DVDs.

The movie brings to life a local legend about the Dogman. In the bonus features there are testimonial from people who've had encounters with the beast.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for another good wrap/start, Steve. Looks like it was a fun weened with the dogs and at Houghton Lake.

Congrats and well done, Quickadder!

How's Ryan doing, Mike?

Glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the cooking class, Bioguy. They can be fun and tasty, as well as instructive.

Great story about the contact lens search, Joe.

Good job of keeping it exciting, Pats.

I did get in another hour of snow-clearing cross training yesterday afternoon. I could have done more, but my snowblower and i both ran out of gas.I also took some random left-over pieces of a butcherblock countertop and started to make them into cutting boards. I got one piece squared off, corners and edges rounded/softened, sanded, lightly stained to bring out the grain (food-grade stain for salad bowls, etc), and oiled (also food-grade). I just need to add some rubber feet so it won't slide around on the counter. I'll probably get at least 3-4 more cutting boards out of the remaining pieces.

With 2° temps, wind, snow & ice-covered roads this morning, I had a fine time catching up on some reading instead of venturing out. If the roads were clear, I could have dealt with the cold, but the combo was distinctly unappealing.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve, and love the pictures!

Good luck to all of you having to shovel and deal with snow.  Just bitter cold here.

2.5 treadmill miles to start the day-  back to the office after a week on the road.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Steve--I always enjoy the happy dogs pics.  Looks like a nice trail, too.

Jlynne--yay! for free meals and a nice tip.

Dave--I'm a #7. It's funny how I had to write an X to figure out how I do it, since I don't think about it.

I think Montana's been here long enough for us to all hate her for posting from Hawaii, while the rest of us are freezing. 

Leslie--sump pump birthday for DH? Ouch.  And what color did you go with? Green? Purple?

Henry--we had watched Roma on Netflix a couple of weeks ago and I'd mentioned I was very underwhelmed for such a highly reviewed film. What did you think? After I complained about it to a friend, she sent me this review which overlaps quite a bit with my take: beautiful but lifeless, with disturbing class dynamics.

Joe--it is funny how the mind wanders while running, isn't it?

Quick--congrats on getting it done.

Tet--TriBee happened to get up during the night, saw the eclipse, and said "Wow, you should get up and look at this."  I'm a very sound sleeper and unless it's space aliens hovering over our house, I'm not getting out of bed to look at sky phenomena. Sorry.

Yeah, there was some bad coaching, too, but the Saints were robbed. (I'm usually very sympathetic to the plight of refs but I genuinely cannot fathom how such a blatant non-call can occur.)

The Pats were awesome (sorry, Joe). That fourth quarter was crazy but that first half was what impressed me most. I'm one of those people who thought this was the year we'd see the aging Pats fade into mediocrity, which proves I know nothing about football and should stick to hockey.

Speaking of which, my Caps finally had a players-only meeting after another fiasco performance yesterday, losing 5-8 against a bad Chicago team. I'm reserving judgment until after the All-Star break. There's too much talent on this team to just collapse without a fight.

I had already planned to take the day off today and this morning's 12F and below-zero wind chill made that seem like a brilliant decision. My gallivanting about in hiking boots last week resulted in some quarter-sized pre-blister blisters, if you know what I mean. I thought they were just hot spots but the skin's definitely separated on both my heels. Don't think there's much I can do except wait it out.

Have a good MLK Day.

Be safe. Be kind.

...those are some VERY Happy Dogs......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Joe618

Mornin' all!   Great recap, Steve and terrific trail photos.

Tramps, congrats.   Brady with the ball in OT is unstoppable.   I was impressed with the 2nd half comeback of the Chiefs.   And the officiating...I refereed soccer and umpired baseball for years and am empathetic to officials.   But to not make that call at a crucial time in the Saints-Rams game was inexcusable for officials at this level.    /rant over/

Right at zero this morning, so I climbed back on the treadmill at work early for 4 miles.   Less bad than Saturday's treadmills drudgery.   Having a bottle of cold water on the machine helped, KSA, thanks for that advice.    We have showers here too, so it kinda worked all around.

Have a greta start to the week, folks!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - nice 40+ mile week.

The rest of the family gets today off, but not me.  The backroads I take to work were mostly clear, but the -2 degree temps are too cold for the salt to work, so the roads had that "sand on glass" feel.  I took it slow and left the house a bit early, so it was fine.  I may take the freeway home, though, since that is likely in better shape.

No run for me today, but about 40 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Morning all. I don't have the day off, but apparently many do because the train was pretty empty. I guess it's been awhile since we've had these bitter cold temps, and I'm really not a fan. 6 degrees this morning, felt like minus something.

I woke up late but had time for 3 treadmill miles. The temps the next couple of mornings look do-able, so hopefully I'll get outside. There could be some freezing precipitation coming, and it really depends on the roads which some are ok and some are not great. I'm not a fan of the frozen snow slush where cars have driven, but the plow didn't hit them, etc. Then more bitter cold for the end of the week. Yesterday, I looked at January's runs so far, and there were 11 outside and 9 on the 'mill. I think the scale may tip in favor of the 'mill this week.

Anne

I had to re-sign in to RA and got kicked out once. Was it something I said?? 

Happy Doggies!  How's Taggy doing these days?

Tramps - Blonde and Copper highlights.  I'd like to throw in something like purple; alas, probably not very professional.

With the last blown call in the NO/LAR game, The Hub said, "That just killed their chance for the Super Bowl."  And he was reluctantly rooting for the Pats 'cause he believes Mahone is too young to go the Super Bowl.  Great games, though.  The fans definitely got their money's worth.

I'm at work and, not surprising, the complaints have already begun (not at me but about things).  Good to know nothing's changed.   Although the way we are paid changed as of the first of the year and I think it changed how we get paid overtime.  I don't know.  It hurts my brain to think about it.

Also, all the files I left notes about 4 weeks ago are still in their same places, so I'm guessing not much happened while I was out.  *sigh* It's gonna take me awhile to get back into the swing of things.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..don't you just LOVE those ''Ah-Ha'' Moments in your life??....

=======

...today at the Y,

it suddenly

Dawned on me if I Pointed my toes on the Leg Forward Move

it would be Pushing Against the Water

while

my Arms were Pushing With the Water

...didn't need (or want) extra laps,

just something to make the work-out More Efficient............YOWZA//////

...50-min PoolRun/shoes nb......

............Good Running to Ya...........hmmmmm, maybe I could add Hand Weights??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

went to MLK program this am while Henry sang with chorus.  Two essays by kids were quite meaningful - makes you hopeful about next generation

tramps - Roma was better with 70 mm & surround sound.  I agree about the class distinctions maybe they happened that way in his family (semi-autobiographical) but I’m not sure they were realistic for a society.  That being said I enjoyed the acting scenery & slo-mo shooting of a family’s story

walking later to get rid of excess energy

marj

Henrun

My exercise today consisted (so far) of singing. Maybe some indoor stuff later.

Tramps- as Marj said, seeing Roma in a theater with surround sound and 70 mm projection (as several reviewers have noted) is a much better experience than seeing it on a home screen. It was meditative for me like watching an impressionistic or abstract painting. I enjoyed it more than Marj and it brought back some memories from a trip to Mexico in the 70’s. And I love black and white cinema. It wasn’t a perfect film but gave me an enjoyable experience.

Tramps

Tramps- as Marj said, seeing Roma in a theater with surround sound and 70 mm projection (as several reviewers have noted) is a much better experience than seeing it on a home screen. 

That makes sense; true for many films, I suspect!

Marj--NH was one of the last states to pass MLK Day legislation. Back in the early-mid '90s when I was up there, I'd volunteer with the MLK Day Committee working to have the holiday recognized. One of our projects was a student essay contest with a King-related theme each year, so I got to read lots of those! It really was encouraging to see how young people don't (yet) have the blinders and baggage that so many adults carry. It was always one of my favorite parts of teaching, too. And just this week, some new data about "Gen Z."

Be safe. Be kind.

Good afternoon everyone. Thanks for the recap - and pictures - Steve. Love those dogs! And nice mileage week for you. Are you training for anything right now?

Jay - if you get a chance, could you post a picture of your cutting boards? I'd love to see the finished project since we had some leftover wood from shelving we built last year.

Take care of those blisters in waiting Tramps. And the eclipse was worth getting up for, imo.   "Roma" is on my list. And don't waste your time on "Crazy Rich Asians." Really. I don't get all of the fuss over that movie.

Hope you're feeling better today Holly. And how's the butt holding up so far Leslie?

Today was one of those days I was happy I'm not working any more (well, at least on a regular basis)  Since it was -4 at 5:00 AM I went to the Y and did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the elliptical, took my personal training class for 30 minutes, then jumped in the pool for 45 minutes of pool running and lap swimming. I think I got full advantage of my free Y membership today!

I feel so bad for the Saints today. They should have won that game. And hats off to the Patriots. I didn't think they'd do it this year, but they played an exceptional game last night. And how cool this was the first time in NFL history that both playoff games went into OT. If you were just watching and didn't have any feelings about who won or lost, you really got your money's worth yesterday.  Now to stay clear of two weeks of Super Bowl hype...

Hope you're feeling better today Holly. And how's the butt holding up so far Leslie?

I've been at work almost 3 hrs and I'm ready to go home.  Whoa-dee.  It's gonna take a bit to get back into the swing of things.  Oddly, my upper back is tight and exhausted from holding me up for this long of a period.  It hasn't had to do that much in the last 4+ weeks.  And I'm only getting a hint of what 2Kitty went through.  He's one tough kitty.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance