Masters Running

Sizzling Saturdailies, July 20, 2019 (Read 39 times)

Joe618

Mornin' folks!   Good stuff from all of you yesterday.   Smart adaptations all around in the face of the severe heat some of us are facing.

I'm up early getting set to head to Indy to run in this heat today.   A not so smart non-adaptation, you might say.   Will do lots of walking.   Didn't sleep all that well, as I did planning in my head for the day.   Part of that is the unusual 10am start time, so I'm eating differently beforehand.   Will take about 10 bananas (one per loop) and cut up an entire melon, divvied into several baggies, with salt, which I can grab and eat during my walk segments. 

On the 5K loop, my objective is to simply keep moving and keep most of my loop times under 48 minutes.   That sounds silly and ridiculously easy on paper but I've learned can be tough.   The key is to simply keep moving and be comfortable with lots of walking.

Enjoy your summer weekend all!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Tramps

Joe--you're a beast. Be safe; good luck!

Not-so-fun fact: heat kills more people than all other weather events combined (floods, hurricanes, cold, etc.). Homeless folks are highly vulnerable, as Jlynne points out, but also the elderly--especially shut ins who may not have adequate (or any) AC. (Good book on the topic.)

I forgot to post my little 4-miler yesterday.

Today? Seems like a good day to stay in and clean my office.

Be safe. Be kind.

bioguy

94% humidity this morning at our beach house on ChinyIsland. Hot in 3.5, but I am doing the Maffetone training where my max heart rate is 121. Consequently, that 3.5 was painfully slow.

Tailwinds!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Joe. As Tramps said: Be safe, good luck (and have fun!).

Thanks for the reminders about the possible devastating consequences of heat, Jlynne and Tramps. It's too easy to take things like AC (and heat in the winter) for granted until one doesn't have them.

Good job of beating the sticky stuff, bioguy.

I suspected the flies would be back today, so I drove to the coast for my workout (those flies apparently prefer to be a bit inland). Sure enough, at one point I went only about a block inland, and a terrorist fly found me and harassed me until I could get back out to the coast road. 6.4 EZ RW miles in 77° ( and quickly rising) temps and a 73° dew point.

After I get back from the farmer's market this morning, I have some yard work to do. I'll try to take it easy and will keep slugging water.

Have a greta Saturday, whatever your weather!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin'......

my lunch with my buddy went well,

when he was a boy

during WW2

he remembers

the oil tankers putting in at night in the Gulf

and

the Submarine Net

stretched over the mouth of the harbor

if

something triggered the alarms,

there were Depth Charges on both sides of the net that would fire off

>>>which as Little Boys they all thought was Pretty Cool

https://uboat.net/maps/caribbean.htm

I had to look that one up

=================

....40-min PoolRun/shoes no belt...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Good luck Joe and be careful in the heat.

We got back yesterday from northern NH and are staying in our AC abode for the rest of the heat spell which should be breaking  on Monday. I did get out early this morning for a very slow 2 mile run/walk. Marj left earlier, found me and kept spraying me with water. At my age I have to be extra careful. The warnings mention the “healthy elderly” I suppose I qualify.

pfriese

Joe, have a good & safe race today.

Up & out early again this morning to beat the heat, 7 miles done. Now for a little yard work & then to spend the rest of the day in the pool or inside with AC. Cooler air moving in tomorrow afternoon/evening. So, I'll still have to get my long run in extra early tomorrow.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Paul

Good luck, Joe!  The 10 am start sounds miserable, but I guess you are out there all day anyway!  Anxious to hear how it goes.

Brutal weather here and the dog got us up at 2 am (he probably only has a few more days of life- poor old guy) and I just couldn't face the 6 am start with the group.  I had to take the dog out again before I went to run because Ken was meeting his bike group at 6.  I got started at the path a little after 7.  I wasn't sure what I would be able to do, but I got in 8.6 miles.  I had originally hoped for 10, but it was just not going to happen.  I did some walk breaks every mile starting at 3 miles.  Got it done! 

My daughter is in Israel (after Rome), my son is in Colorado, my sister and brother in law are in Denmark then Germany-  and my trip was to Utica.   Something is wrong here!   Later this week I go to LA for depositions, which will not be a fun trip.  I do have a non-stop flight to get there, which isn't usually the case from Nashville.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good luck with the heat, everyone. Finally, a full sun-shiny day is on tap for us here. No walking for me yesterday as the butt was telling me I'd done too much the last 3 days, and today will be an easy day since it's my last. Blueberry picking is on the agenda for this morning, the I don't know what else. I must say, I'm not all that excited about having to drive home tomorrow (8hrs) and go back to work Monday. 😩

Joe - Since you've already started your race, I'll say I hope you had fun.

KSA - I think you're traveling with the wrong crowd!

Holly - Is this the same foot issues that's been plaguing you?

That's about all I've got. Have a great weekend and do your best to sat cool ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mornin' folks!   Good stuff from all of you yesterday.   Smart adaptations all around in the face of the severe heat some of us are facing.

I'm up early getting set to head to Indy to run in this heat today.   A not so smart non-adaptation, you might say.   Will do lots of walking.   Didn't sleep all that well, as I did planning in my head for the day.   Part of that is the unusual 10am start time, so I'm eating differently beforehand.   Will take about 10 bananas (one per loop) and cut up an entire melon, divvied into several baggies, with salt, which I can grab and eat during my walk segments. 

On the 5K loop, my objective is to simply keep moving and keep most of my loop times under 48 minutes.   That sounds silly and ridiculously easy on paper but I've learned can be tough.   The key is to simply keep moving and be comfortable with lots of walking.

Enjoy your summer weekend all!!

Good luck! You're probably already running, but don't overlook ice under your hat, and don't loiter at the aid stations (keep stops to 15 seconds or less). I'm always surprised at how long people linger and socialize at aid stations...

You people East of the Rockies are having "unusual weather" AGAIN?! Record snowstorms, record rains, record cold, record heat; it must be getting unbearable.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Joe--you're a beast. Be safe; good luck!

Not-so-fun fact: heat kills more people than all other weather events combined (floods, hurricanes, cold, etc.).

Very nice, Tramps.  Wish the guy good luck then offer some encouraging words.  “Good luck, Joe!  Oh, by the way, there is a very good chance you might die.”  Yes...very nice...

Mike E

MM #5615

Our power has been out since 2:15 am.  I’ve, also been awake since then.  I had to get up at 4:30 to get ready for a race with my granddaughter.  I did an 8k and she did a 5k.  She’s 17 years old and still wants to hang out with her grandpa.  My girls have some of the sweetest girls you will ever meet.

Not as bad this morning as expected, and I walked with a few friends for 5.5 miles. We also ran a few short segments, which convinced me to wait until Monday morning for my next actual run. Supposed to be a lot cooler/drier than the weekend.

And that's all I've got at the moment.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Ran 4 Condo Loops this morning, 1.17 miles.

Now we're in Toledo picking up the grandkid.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - Is this the same foot issues that's been plaguing you?

No, this is the other foot.  Sudden onset after a 12-mile run two weeks ago tomorrow.  I ran the Monday and Wednesday after, hoping it was something minor that would resolve, and have been walking with a limp since, and/or sort of on my forefoot and not letting my heel touch the ground.

A separate issue I have been dealing with is pain in my left thumb joints where the thumb meets the wrist and the next joint up.  It has been going on for several months, and I have been thinking it may just be arthritis developing, but the pain has gotten bad enough that it is affecting the use of that hand and my ability to grip things.  I may have to see a dr about that just to see if it is some sort of carpel tunnel issue or the like.

Jeesh, I'm falling apart...

45 minutes of weights and core today

DH and I are doing a couple's golf outing at 6pm.  Just 9 holes and dinner afterward, but I am not going to complain about how hot it will be, not with Joe out there running for 8 hours in it...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."