Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 5.15.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Mom’s Day’s magnificent workouts & races:

Pfriese (9.8 miles ‘round town)

Mariposai (short recovery run after Saturday’s 20 miles)

RunnerKSA (3:01 [16.5 miles] with 1 min walking breaks every mile)

Catwhoorg (11+ miles, including 6 X 1200 VO2max intervals)

Holly (18 miles in 60-77° temps, with melting at the end)

Tomwhite (40 min on athletic fields with hand weights in 88°Wink

Spacityrunner (4.5 mile hike, then 4.1 warm miles, slow but fast, with hillage)

Wildchild (decent 20 miles on a perfect day, to the top of Bergen Peak (9,750 ft)

Evanflein (15 afternoon miles)

Twocat (18 miles with 11 at MP)

BerthSlayer (4 EZ, warm miles)

dg. (4.17 morning miles with hillage)

StarrRuns (1st bike ride for the year - 7 miles)

Sounds like you made a super souffle supper, Pfriese.

Good runs and good eats, Mariposai.

I like your approach to training/running, RunnerKSA. I’m glad it’s working for you. And I like the idea of going by the clock, and not the mileage.

I hope you enjoyed the pool, Cat.

Great MD present, Holly - good choices by DS! Good luck at the conference - too bad there’ll be little time for enjoying FL and running.

Nice long run with girlfriends and a mountain peak, Wildchild.

Sorry about the gut stuff, Evanflein.

It’s too bad that Stumpy and Twocat will miss a meet up op in Nashville - so close.

Seems like there was a fair amount of gardening going on with running and Mother’s Day celebrating (or not) yesterday.

It has been cool and raining, with some scattered breaks, since Saturday evening. It is supposed to finally end later this morning, and then we go to summer weather, with temps in the 70s, 80s and maybe even 90 over the next 5 days. I took advantage of a break in the rain this morning to squeeze (or squeegee) in a 4.5 RW mile paper bag workout. Nothing was clicking this morning, and my workout was as sloppy as the weather. Some days are like that.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Good morning.

A rare non-running weekend for me. TriBee had an olympic-distance tri on Saturday (2nd AG) and an aqua-bike (no run) on Sunday (3rd overall in a small field). Sherpa duty for me.

I hoped the weekend rest would help my still-nagging knee pain but no such luck. It felt about the same this morning for an easy 5-miler.

Look forward to reading race reports later.

Be safe. Be kind.

Some good RRs today in their weekend thread, and I'm happy to see that we've revived that tradition. Easier not to miss one, and it looks like everyone survived some tough runs!

No running today due to home construction, but I thought I'd share something sort of creepy. You know how your browser pages always come up with ads related to things you've been shopping for online? I've gotten used to this and find them easy to ignore (Amazon tracks your shopping everywhere!). But yesterday my DW went over to her mother's condo and used her computer to look at something. Now, my MIL has never shopped for anything in her life, and likewise my DW has never used her mother's PC to log into her accounts or shop for anything. So when when she brings up the browser to my MIL's Yahoo home page, she gets two ads from L.L. Bean for the items that she was looking at a couple of weeks ago on their site from our PC! Now how did they do that?? Cue the Twilight Zone music...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

pfriese

Morning all.

Thanks for the daily start coastwalker. I agree with rochrunner, some nice racing/race reports this weekend. Thanks mariposai for hosting a race report thread, it's nice having them all in one thread each week. Actually warm & muggy for this mornings 8 mile run. Summer is coming fast.

Have a great day.

Paul

2.3 recovery miles before work.  Spring is really nice in middle Tennessee!   2.5 treadmill after work

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

....mornin'........

20-min on X-Bike standing

===========

off to visit

a Hiking Buddy who is having Heart Problems

really sad because he was so active

.....eg....could only do 6-sit-ups when he started exercising

then

did 600 !!!! a few years later

(said he stopped

because he was just BORED)

.............good running to ya.................Enjoy the Gift.........

eta-

And The Beat Goes On-

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/physician-receives-10year-sentence-for-pill-mill-operation?utm_term=Physician%20Receives%2010-Year%20Sentence%20for%20Pill%20Mill%20Operation&utm_campaign=PT%20eNews%20Daily%20Unsponsored%205-12-17&utm_content=email&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email&cm_mmc=Act-On%20Software-_-email-_-Physician%20Receives%2010-Year%20Sentence%20for%20Pill%20Mill%20Operation-_-Physician%20Receives%2010-Year%20Sentence%20for%20Pill%20Mill%20Operation

notice the Pharmacist Tie-In

or

should I say ''NON'' Tie-In

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

You know how your browser pages always come up with ads related to things you've been shopping for online? I've gotten used to this and find them easy to ignore (Amazon tracks your shopping everywhere!). But yesterday my DW went over to her mother's condo and used her computer to look at something. Now, my MIL has never shopped for anything in her life, and likewise my DW has never used her mother's PC to log into her accounts or shop for anything. So when when she brings up the browser to my MIL's Yahoo home page, she gets two ads from L.L. Bean for the items that she was looking at a couple of weeks ago on their site from our PC! Now how did they do that?? Cue the Twilight Zone music...

Online tracking (known as "behavioral targeting") usually takes place through third-party vendors.  So a site takes a fee from a tracking company to allow them to add a bit of tracking software to your browser when you visit. (Ad blocking software like AdBlock Plus can prevent this from happening.) As you surf the net, that software collects data across sites on where you're going.  The tracking company then sells that data to advertisers to target you. (So once you're off their site, Amazon usually isn't tracking you, these third-party companies are.)  That's why, even if you're on someone else's computer, logging in to your accounts (e-mail, Facebook, etc) triggers these ads.  This collection/sale process can take--literally--fractions of a second.  It's happening constantly as you move around the Internet. Also, the current administration recently eliminated privacy laws that prevented your internet service provider from selling all the data they have on your internet usage.  In theory, that data--which includes all of your online activity--is now available for sale.

Some of it is a bit old now but one of the best collections of articles on tracking, surveillance, and privacy is available at the Wall Street Journal site. Also, there are browser add-ons that can show you who's tracking you.  Ghostery is my favorite.  It's not unusual to have 20 or more companies collecting data from a single website.  That can be eye-opening...and creepy.

Be safe. Be kind.

That's why, even if you're on someone else's computer, logging in to your accounts (e-mail, Facebook, etc) triggers these ads. 

Right, but as far as I know, my DW was not logged into any account of hers; she was using her mother's account to help her with an issue she was having.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

privacy - is that allowed in this day and age????

Jay - 4.5 paper bag race walk miles

ran about 3 and the rains stopped and now there's a strange yellow orb i the sky - aliens perhaps

great races and race reports this w/e

marj

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Debbie and I are waiting to board our plan back to Minnesota and reality.  It may have been a miserable marathon performance, but it has been a great little get a way for us.  Neither one of us are in any hurry to get home.

I was trying to write my race report on the racing thread, by it got too hard on my little iPhone.

By by the way, I posted a happy Mother's Day message, last night, but it wasn't there this morning.  So--happy belated Mother's Day to all mothers.

Okay--I'd better start paying attention to Debbie again.  See ya!

Quick "Hi" and "Bye" and congratulations to our weekend racers. Congratulations to MikeE on surviving his plane ride.  Happy belated Mother's Day to all you moms, and with regard to computer issues, we have ants trying to live in our laptop, so it's going to the shop after work.  The ant situation in Humboldt County has been bad this year, so am looking into an exterminator to identify the bed and hopefully vaporize it.  I think it's under the house and I certainly ain't crawling under there!

Enjoy your week, friends ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

privacy/tracking - I first found out about it five or six years ago when I commented on one of the DD's herein's passport issue or something and started seeing ads about overnight passport service, etc.  I wonder if it will happen again.  Fortunately, I do not need a passport right now and am not looking for an overnight passport service.  whew.  I'd mention who it was but then he/she might start getting them again.  Actually, I must be used to 'em as I guess I don't mind it that much one-way-or-the-other.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...yeah,

once Pickles clicked on the WRONG email (an Ad)  and signed me up for a Senior Dating Site......

...it wasn't pretty...

evanflein

5.2 easy miles today, got caught in the rain the last mile. That was totally unplanned so I hope no violations occurred.