Masters Running

Sunday Dec 23rd Runs and Stuff (Read 621 times)

I started my 15 miles at about 5:15 so that I could finish up and get to work by 10. This was a good plan, as I only had to contend with cold drizzle. The torrential rains and wind are arriving now. This is my longest run since Hartford, and I faced it with some trepidation. I took it pretty slow, and it was fine. I'm at work 'til midnight tonight, and will likely be a whimpering mess by then.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

OK.....Things are DEFINITELY picking up with Spareribs....TomWhite.....dg.......all showing up. My run for the day got delayed due to neighbors with emergencies needing my help. Looks like there are some real variations on the weather around. We have rain (needed) but warmer temperatures into the upper 40's. Predawnrunner......do you get caught working like this at this time of year, every year? That is a tough schedule that you have been working from the last couple of days. Enjoy the day everyone and thanks for reporting the runs that you had.
      Vista
        5 rainy drippy miles. I would rather have the snow storms of last week back. cheers all, cfli
        Dave59

After running the last 2 days I don't want to take the chance of getting my heel too sore so even though I felt like running I did not. I was up too late for the warm weather but I do have the howling winds. Temps have dropped from about 45 to 29 so far. (Not too bad.) I walked a couple miles because I love the wind and the cold air. I went down to the corner store, got a cup of coffee and walked back. My face is still a little numb from the wind. Next up, lunch, then build a fire in the living room (in the fireplace) and select a book for the afternoon. (I'm a little burned out on football watching.)

spacityrunner

6.33 foggy miles in 1:32:08 for a avg. 14:34 m/m. Now, this is not a speedy outing even for this slow gal, but this is the first time I have been able to do that and not be limping afterwards. Especially with the pain that I was feeling after the MRI. That seems to have vanished. It felt good, so good. Yippee Splits: 15:10 14:50 13:53 14:45 14:19 14:05 15:49 It is so foggy here today that I could not see the top of the Washington Monument and visibility was about 1/10th of a mile. This was at 10 a.m. But a nice balmy 50F with no wind. I am sure this will change soon. Mr. Ribs, you are correct in stating that the PF pain often comes after the run. That has been the consistent experience for me. Please be careful. DH: I drink coffee in the a.m. and green tea in the p.m. Not sure if the coffee wipes out the antioxidants of the tea…but I think I am doing good. Smile Nice to see everyone. Happy holidays

Trails Rock!

Manchild

Well after 7 miles yesterday, I was satisfied to run alittle shorter today. My friend and I droveup to Chilmark and ran a hilly loop that we both find challenging but enjoyable. Temps were in the 50s and the sun was playing peekaboo. The dirt roads were a welcome change from the asphalt yesterday. 27 miles for me this week. Have a great afternoon Boomers all! Chris
                12 miles for me today. Not quite a stepback week at 45 miles but almost. I think it's because my coach and I have different ideas on when the "week" should start. Windy, wet (not raining), but not too cold at 40F. I started in tights and after 2.5 decided it was hot, so ran back to the house to remove the extra layers. Workout: 11.2M, 8:47/mi. Target 140(2), 145(3), 150(3), 155-160(3), actual 139, 145, 151, 157. Overall: 12.2M, 1:47 Good runs!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

0700 29f 21mi ez 8:06 had some quicker ones in the middle, but dropped off my partner's pace for the last two, which were a struggle. had to run past my car at 20 for an out-back last mile, that was a challenge. finishing off week with 87miles, a new record for me. now to sit in the car for 8 hours. planning to spend the holidays in the yoga "folded passenger" position. if i'm scarce around here (relying on nephew's pc until friday) -- have a great holiday boomers!
                    Travel safe MC!! and Happy Holidays! cfli

#artbydmcbride

Yay, Caddisfli has arrived. I am doing cross-training at the Mall today; elbow jabs, miles of walking, and credit card flexing. Big grin Tomwhite let me know if you need help with your avatar, arrrrrghhh!!

Runners run

Predawnrunner......do you get caught working like this at this time of year, every year? That is a tough schedule that you have been working from the last couple of days.
                        No - this year is "special". Our company is actually shut down from 12/22 until 12/31. But our team is bringing a new satellite online and the timing just worked out this way. The hours are long, but the work is exciting - we've been waiting a long time for this.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

3 miles on the TM, it was yucky. Saw lots of drowned rats running outside and just didn't want to join them.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

All kinds of great runs today.... Today...out at 8:00 Am...21 degrees....17 miler with 14 at pace. The weather forecast called for a low of 21....slight SW winds 8-10mph and a high of 51....clear and sunny. Beautiful morning. My friend Kevin showed up...to help me get through my final hard LR...with MP.. I wore tights, and, long sleeve tech. shirt, vest...gloves etc.... He was smart...wore less and running shorts... My training plan called for a race yesterday and a 17 miler today..I opted for a easy recovery run on Saturday and a MP run today. The one thing about a Pfitz plan, imho, is he does not include enough MP runs... Here are my splits... Goal...7:48 pace (changed from my original plan of a 7:40) Mile 1 and 2, warmup...8:38, 8:41, Mile 3, 7:48 ( I am already warm and overdressed) Mile 4, 7:43 Mile 5, 7:44 Mile 6, 7:42 Mile 7, 7:58 (stopped at my truck and changed into sorts, removed the vest) Mile 8, 7:44 Mile 9, 7:47 Mile 10, 7:40 Mile 11, 8:01 (uphill against the wind...we both thought we were doing better than an 8...we had nasty things to say) Mile 12, 7:33 (over compensated for previous cruddy mile) Mile 13, 7:54 Mile 14, 7:35 Mile 15, 7:41 Mile 16, 7:31 ( I started to pick up the pace for the final mile..then backed off a bit) Mile 17, 9:57 (cooldown) Mile 18, slow walk back to the truck. Overall MP was 7:42...slightly fast This was a great way to begin my Taper....the only problem is I was unable to home in on my MP (which is not normal for me)....I am not "feeling" the pace....so I will have to be very careful at Houston... Now it is time to grab something to eat and wrap packages....then just be lazy....the maddening taper begins.....NOW...Bring it on HOUSTON!!!! Big grin Good running to all... Tim, Ardmore, OK.

King of PhotoShop

Tim, that is absolutely wonderful news. What a great way to end your Houston training, on an upbeat note like this and with such an excellent pace. Now mind the taper. Less miles, good intensity for some of them. Spareribs
                              evanflein

Geez Dark Horse, what'd I ever do to you? Hmph. Gonna have to call my fren Arf with her pointy little fist to come take care of you! Heh. Larry, thanks! Yes, #6 is less than a month away now. Looking forward to running outside in shorts (there, that's not such a crazy idea, is it DH??) It's warmed up to -8 so looks like the run is a "go!" Yeah. Gotta figure out where I'll go, but goal is 14 (I'll be happy with anything over 10)... will post back later.