Masters Running

Saturdaily, 11.9.19 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just stopping by to wish Joe (and anyone else racing this weekend) good luck, big grins, and tailwinds!

I also wanted to ask Tet (has this been asked and answered?) why you are out raking leaves at J o'clock?

On my way to today's racewalking clinic. My right ankle is still sore, so I won't know till I get there if I'll participate or just observe.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

anachrotech

Thanks for starting Jay.

I slacked off this whole week and started again this morning. 2.25 on the treadmill.

I'm finding it very difficult to stay motivated.  The biggest issue is lack of progress in my walk/run.  I'm still stuck at the first week of C25K.  I realize I'm at least a decade older that when I last really ran consistently and my 'best' pace was averaging 10:30 back in 2005 - so no speed demon.  Maybe my expectations are too high. I dunno.  A year ago when attempting the run segment of a walk/run, I would increase the speed and immediately have to bring it back down to fast walk.  Maybe it'll take another year to get to the second week of the C25K training .

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.

Run, Joe, run!

Wildchild—good to hear from you. I just posted the other day asking where you were. Sorry to hear about the likely stress fracture, though. I hope easing up long enough will do the trick.

HopesMom—that’s an awesome bird picture. Looks like it's from a guide book. That's not just a cell phone camera is it?

Surly Bill—I think that is called “stalking.”

27F and sunny this frosty morning. Still breezy, so I broke out the running pants--which may be the earliest in the season those have seen action.  5 miles to start a gorgeous day.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

...yep, temps dropping here too.......

========

...40-min PoolRun/shoes, flotation belt...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

A bit of insomnia had me up in the middle of the night for a couple of hours.  Got in some good reading time with my latest library book.  But now I am feeling lazy, so no workout today.  Its not as if I am even close to making my mileage goal, so whatever.

Gave Rudy a bath this morning, which is always a challenge.  For a small dog, he sure puts up a fight.  But his fur is so thick that it gets matted and he gets dreadlocks, so he really needed it.  Rosie came into the bathroom while I was giving him his bath and was jealous, standing up on the edge of the tub and barking.  So, she got a bath after he did.  She was much more compliant.  Now they are gated into the kitchen while they dry - it is far too cold to let them out with wet fur.  Dexter gets his bath tomorrow.

A few errands to run today, and some homecare stuff, but mostly a lazy day planned.

Good luck to the racers!

Instead of paying $500+ for senior pics, I had my son's GF take DD to a local park and take a bunch of pics with her nice camera a couple of weeks ago.  Here's one she took of DD and DS - love these kids!

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good luck to our racers!!

Holly - Nice pic of your kiddos.  My dad took my and my brother's senior pics 'cause they couldn't afford a professional photographer.  They turned out really great.  When I turned my pic in for the yearbook, there was a very slight cut in the upper right hand corner made by my dad when he cutting it down to yearbook size.  Our yearbook teacher, Mrs. Cardoza, was a piece of work.  She knew it wasn't done by a professional and told me that because of the cut the picture was unacceptable.  Was a real witch about it.  I went to my mom (who worked at the high school) in tears, and she in turn went to Mrs. Cardoza and gave her an earful.  My mom was a wonderfully, kind woman, but don't screw with her kids. . . . the picture was used and looked fantastic. 

Anachrotech - Not sure what to say about your pace, except keep trying.  It's tough when there's no visible progress, but I bet it's there.  Have you considered signing up for a race to least have some kind of goal to work toward?

Nothing here yet.  I'm at work this a.m. and will get in a workout at home this afternoon.  The Hub was disappointed I was working again, but like I told him, I'm going on the assumption I will have to have another surgery, so I need to bust my butt and get as much done as possible.  If there ends up not being a surgery, all the better.

Okay - Gotta get to it ~~

Image result for working on saturday meme

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

3.6 mile run on a beautiful sunny windless day. Temps are gradually rising into the 40’s. Met Marj along the river route and she even slowed down to keep me company for a mile or so.. I was wearing my 2002 Boston Marathon jacket and struck up a conversation with a contemporary about the “old days” when he beat Bill Rogers in indoor track and my memory of the”Run for the Hoses” in Boston 1976. I love running alone but it’s fun to have these spontaneous encounters.

Good luck to the racers, especially Joe.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - nice photo. Shouldn’t got the parents in one too.
                  $500!? - doesn’t digitalizing make ‘em cheaper.
                  However, why take so early in the year in November?
                  Will their photos get in the yearbook?
                  What do they think of your running?
                  Do any of their friends’ parents run?

On my way to today's racewalking clinic. My right ankle is still sore, so I won't know till I get there if I'll participate or just observe.

jay -  but, just as old athletes never die, they just become coaches," can you still instruct RW'ing?

I also wanted to ask Tet (has this been asked and answered?) why you are out raking leaves at J o'clock? 

TO: why-the-pot-is-black good morning Jay - I’ve always done things early in the morning on my own so I could have the rest of the day with the family, e.g. weekend office work from 5am-7/8am, x-c skiing in the days I could do it out the front door, running around Tokyo neighborhoods in the morning quiet, etc., . . . to say nothing of falling under the influence of certain people herein.

Lots of reason I like the early morning leaves.
                  1. Nice, lush green lawn for DW to look at when she wakes up
                  2. Defuse any ire towards all the leaves from the neighbor’s tree.
                  3. Avoid standing out like a sore thumb in a neighborhood where,
                  . . . because they all have once-a-week gardeners,
                  . . . nobody else rakes their lawns.
                  4. Excellent X-T, almost as good as snow-shoveling
                  . . . that I also still love to do ever since childhood.

Nevertheless, even though I know why, I still silently shake-my-head at all the all-bundled-up runners I see in the morning chill, mostly now training for the Seattle Marathon, as winter approaches when they could be in t-shirts and cut-offs when the sun gets out in the afternoon.

ps jay - why you are out RW'ing at J o'clock instead of when it warms up and gets nice in the afternoon?

I would increase the speed and immediately have to bring it back down to fast walk.

sounds good to me, especially since, one of these days, it'll be bringing it back "down to a slow walk."

Surly Bill—I think that is called “stalking.”

Tramps - actually, “stalking” is what they of us who are the behind ones do when take advantage of corners, trees, traffic, etc. to sneak up on runners in front of us, especially fun when they are occasionally looking back and see us pretty far in back of them and then, all-of-a-sudden, we’re surging past. Even more fun on the bike in triathlons where, since I’m one of the slowest three-or-four swimmers, and more-and-more, the last one, to get to the beach, I get to do many, many times.

I got tired of it and did that trick where you go around a corner where they can't see you until they get there, and do a jump surge. , , , I did that twice and they stopped trying to keep up.

Surly - I don’t think there’s ever been a race event in the last 43 years in which I have not done the antithesis. You too might as well start getting ready for one of these days when you’re falling under the influence of Father Time too. Just sayin’

Some have suggested I just cruise down blue runs. If that is the only option, I am done with skiing.

twocat - sounds like someone I know who said he'd quit running if it ever took more than five hours to run 26.2 miles and, closer to home, quit skiing for more than two decades because he couldn't ski all day long non-stop eating sandwiches on the chairlifts doing the high aerials and tricks that he used to, plus who vowed never to use the modern, short "clown" skis, either, but who now loves simply cruisin' down the slopes on as-short-skis-as-possible, doing whatever he still can do.  However, good luck on still being able to tear up the slopes at Jackson Hole this winter.  Enjoy yourself, your younger days never come again.

ETA:

I was wearing my 2002 Boston Marathon jacket and struck up a conversation with a contemporary about the “old days” when he beat Bill Rogers in indoor track and my memory of the”Run for the Hoses” in Boston 1976. I love running alone but it’s fun to have these spontaneous encounters.

excellent, especially living in Boston where running is a way of life and you still get to run along with runners of all ages to reminisce about the old days. I wonder what the proportion of runners to population is in Boston vs. Seattle.  Probably 5-10% in Boston now vs. less than 1% in Seattle and probably less than 0.10% in those days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dnaff

Tet, Oh dear, I didn't know they were clown skis!  But you described my skiing style exactly; cruising down the easiest and longest slope, enjoying the scenery.

Holly, great picture.  My daughter's ex-boyfriend took her senior pictures with her camera.  Obviously it was an amicable break up!

Anachrotech...so sorry you are not seeing the progress.  Wish you were here, we'd run/walk together.

Great weather in NW IL today - raked for a couple of hours, and got the pup out and about for a mile and 1/2.  Headed out now in search of new hiking boots.  We'll watch some football and I also have to put together a spaghetti pizza.  My husband can cook it while I'm at mass tonight and then we can jump right back in to more college football.

Good luck Joe, and way to go Dave!

Love the picture, Holly.  Your daughter's hair is gorgeous!

Couldn't face 23 degrees this morning early so waited until it warmed up and then still dressed for 23 degrees because that's how I felt- and was over-dressed for the whole run.  Oh well.  I got out there, so that was a victory.  6.3 miles done.   I've felt tired and unmotivated this week.  It appears that one does not bounce back from a tough half marathon the way one used to do!

We have a hymns and pizza thing at our daughter's church tonight and we'll get to see her ring.   We are going to take the dogs to our company's pet store chain to wash them and use their towels, soap and dryers.  It's cheap- $10 or $15 or so and SO worth it for these big dogs.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

KSA - fortunately our dogs are small, and so fit in the tub.  Great that you have that option for your big dogs.

Okay, DD's phone stopped working properly a couple of days ago, and she took it to the AT&T store yesterday, and they were not able to find a fix for it.  So, I have just spent, literally, 3 hours and 45 minutes on the phone, trying to get the phone replace.  First I called AT&T, who said it was no longer under warranty, and they said to call the insurance carrier.  I did, and the insurance people said it WAS under warranty and sent me back to AT&T.  After 4 calls with AT&T and 3 calls with the insurance carrier, I am finally told that, while it is not covered under AT&T's warranty, it is covered by Apple's warranty, so I need to contact Apple.  Well, not today.  I have given up enough of my Saturday for this.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I ran my make-up half this morning. It was down in Williamson, WV. 85 miles from home, but I did show up on time this week.  The race went back and forth between WV and KY.  I didn't have my passport with me but it didn't matter. They let me cross without it.  

I'm not exactly in half marathon shape. It was my first in a little over 2 years. I followed a minimalist plan that was supposed to get me to the finish line and it worked. On the one hand, I made it without fatigue, but on the other hand, my legs were dead the last mile or 2. (The legs were in some pain.)

The course was hillier than expected. My plan was to run/walk 5/1 (minutes). I stuck to that mostly but adjusted for the hills. A hill in mile 3 went straight up and it took 5 minutes to walk it. If I was going downhill as I was coming to a walk break I would keep gong until I got all the way down. If I was going uphill I would start my walk break a little early.

I had some Garmin issues so my splits and distance is a bit off. I pulled up my sleeve around 4 minutes into the race and accidentally hit a button or 2. And there was a little lag getting a signal. But here are some basic stats:

Race # 218 for me.

Half marathon #20.

18th fastest half (or 3rd slowest if you want to be negative)

2:21:16

35 of 62 overall

24 of 33 male

3 of 3 age group 60-64

Marathon Maniac #957

Well done, Dave!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice half Dave! Ralph and I ran the Hatfield/McCoy marathon in that area back in 2005. It was stinkin' hot and humid. Hilly and a bit lonely at times and scary one time (due to a creepy man. Wished I hadn't worn running skirt but attire more gender neutral)

The fun part was running over a swinging bridge in the golf course part.

Congratulations to the newly engaged! Love is in the air!

1130ish

47°

Ralph and I ran the Veta loop. (Through the neighborhood to the swamp). I am so happy! Ran 3 miles with short walk breaks after each mile. For a total of 3.8 miles. Each running mile was between 9:45- 10:00. I love colder weather.

When we got back home we changed and took King Leonidas to the swamp trail for his walk and sniff. Happy dog. Happy RCG. And I think a happy Ralph.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Dave-  that is definitely part of the Hatfield and McCoy course and that hill is HUGE!!!  I ran the marathon in 2017.   Buerhle- that swinging bridge about did me in.   I did win Senior Grand Masters!  I loved the race and we had a relatively good weather day- not as hot as some years.

Holly- why didn't your daughter do the phone calling about her phone?  I tried to make (not always with success) my kids solve those problems themselves.  I'm sorry you got bounced around so much.

Dogs are washed and we got Sophie her Bordetella shot at the vet clinic that was set up today in the store.  $10 for each dog for the dog wash which I think is really worth it-  their water and mess!  They have towels and an air dryer.  It's still a production, but they look great and smell good!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth