Masters Running

Men, what would you want for your anniversary, besides the obvious? (Read 495 times)

My 23rd wedding anniversary is coming up on the 23rd of this month.  My husband has been real gem the past couple months as I have struggled with some health issues.  I am terribly uncreative and can't think of what to get him, make for him, give him.  Any ideas?  We will be on a plane that day, with the kids, so something I could surprise him with when we get to our destination?

Do men even care about these things?  I just thought 23 years on the 23rd had to have some special meaning.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I believe the traditional gift for the 23rd anniversary is a sports car.    Probably a little hard to give on a plane, though, and having the kids along probably eliminates one of the really fun surprises.

Wise cracks aside, I think most men seem to love gadgets of some sort.  Maybe a Garmin?  What are his hobbies?  What's your budget/painful point? 

My DW gave me a USB turntable to convert all the vinyl that we've had sitting around for at least 15 years since we last had a turntable.  Haven't gotten around to using it yet, so I don't know how much fun it will be, but sure looks interesting.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Do men even care about these things? 

Yes.

1st, Congatulations. That is a huge achievement. Especially this day and age.

The 23rd......thats like.....dang, 3 days away !

Words......on paper or spoken. Tell him he's appreciated, loved, revered, attractive, strong, needed, fatherly, sexy.....

Just a quick thought.  In a word document, write all those things that he means to you. Email that file to the Hotel you'll be staying at and ask the staff to print it, put it in an envelope with his name on it and leave it on the bed.....Or they can deliver it to the room or call him down to the front desk for a parcel delivery after you have checked in.

That's what I was thinking SLO...

Stumpy, his hobbies are motorcycles and video games.  He owns 500 to 600 video games, which he claims he got cheaply $5 or free.  He is a gadget guru and so has almost every gadget out there already.  Tough guy to buy for when he buys whatever he wants anyway.  Maybe some camping paraphernalia.... he is going on a short trip soon.  Going to head down to REI this weekend.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

video game gift card marked "not valid for games priced less than $10."

or whatever price would force him to set aside his economical ways and spluge.

ps - don't mention running all day long.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Not as romantic as Slo's, but maybe one of these?

solar battery charger

evanflein

divechief that is so cool! My DH would love it (and he's another difficult to shop for guy)! I think I've got one Christmas present nailed... Thanks!
                  divechief - TOTALLY COOL.  I think he'd love that.  I suppose it would arrive late, but that would surprise him even more.  Thanks!

Prince of Fatness

Words......on paper or spoken. Tell him he's appreciated, loved, revered, attractive, strong, needed, fatherly, sexy.....

This would work for me.  Happy Anniversary.

Not at it at all. 

Not an answer, but here's what worked for me when I was married (and pardon the digression):

Growing up in Texas, my parents'  house had a couple of Bougainvilleas. I have always liked their thin, Japanese-lantern-like flowers.

So.

(Flash forward 25 years) On our honeymoon in Provence, I see a Bougainvillea, and stop to admire it. I'd been living in the NE for a while by then, so it had been a while since I had seen one. My wife at the time was an avid gardener, and also liked the plant.

We do our honeymoon thing, come home, go on with our lives together, jobs, etc. I don't mention Bougainvillea (Hell, don't even think about Bougainvillea) at all. Come our first anniversary, what does my (now ex) wife get me? A bougainvillea. I was pretty floored, and really flattered. Because what the gift said was "I'm listening to you. Even on a little side street in France, a brief little aside."  And a lot more.

You're going to have to do a little mental homework, but can you think of something he has, if only briefly, casually admired, over the years? You hit that, you're gold.

Short of that, "the obvious" is a wonderful substitute.

Thanks for posting: it brought back some good memories.

Walt

I want to know what the heck is wrong with the obvious?    Maybe go the whole nine yards on the obvious.  Really a little imagination, and a few dollars at the local lingerie shop should do wonders!  Yes, I am a dirty old man but all men are born that way so get used to it ladies!

If the obvious is totally out then we are down to something he wants but would never spend the money on.  In other words a present.  If my DW surprised me with getting my Vette detailed I would be pretty psyched.  Stunned into a heart attack is actually a more likely outcome.  So is there something like that your DH would like?  Typically, guys end up having to "do something" to get something they want but would really rather just get the something and avoid the doing part.  In my case, I would like to avoid having to go to the car wash, leave the car, figure out how to get home, and then pick it back up.  I am not sure this helps but it is the general meme that would work to get me something I want.  Although at the moment I also want an I-phone but I am just too cheap to buy one and pay for the monthly contract!

Oh yea, one more thing.  The telling him he is loved/appreciated/whatnot is very guy dependent.  As to me (A) I would not believe it and (B) would figure DW could not be bothered to spend any time whatsoever to get me something other than a cheap card.  You say, no card.  I say Google sappy poems.  Unless you are a world renowned poet this is not something I would treasure.  But, to each his own so if your DH goes for this stuff then, well, go for it!

[editor:  Yea, Twocat thinks he is funny.  Well his DW saw this and has called the divorce attorney I warned him about if he went ahead with that surprise party!  Now see who laughs last!]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

DW is the bestest gift ever. I'd rather not get anything I have to dust, wash, maintain, repair, keep track of...etc. Let him know he's a good man, husband and father. Tickets to a concert, game...then the dirty old man stuff.

SteveP

Maniac 505

REI is listed as a retailer,  don't know what they have in stock though.

divechief - TOTALLY COOL.  I think he'd love that.  I suppose it would arrive late, but that would surprise him even more.  Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies, both funny and serious.  I think I have it all figured out now.

Yesterday his motorcycle, which he drives to the Park n Ride ran out of gas just as he got there.  He was so thrilled when I offered to go over with a gas can and refill his tank while he was at work.  It was a simple chore for me but he was still very grateful.  It is the little things we do to help each other out that are meaningful.

coastwalker

It is the little things we do to help each other out that are meaningful.

To me, that is absolutely dead-on. Save the gifts for birthdays and Christmas. Agree to just spend time with each other on your anniversary: A successful marriage is the best gift you can give yourselves and your children.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.