Masters Running

Amica (Newport) Marathon - it was a bit windy (Read 350 times)

Background:

One of this year’s goals was to join the ranks of the ever-so-slightly insane by going for the Bronze-level of Marathon Maniacs.  We chose the easiest route: two marathons in 15 days.  The primary event would have to be in New England to allow us another shot at connecting with baby Nate (and his parents, of course). We chose the Newport, RI Amica Breakers Marathon, October 18, just a short 90 minute drive from Boston for the Beerlings.  The next task was to find another race within reasonable driving distance for us on October 4th.  The Wineglass Marathon in Corning, NY popped onto our radar, and as previously reported, we had the good fortune to finish this marathon in fine weather, in the company of CNYRunner.  The beautiful fall weather should have set off warning bells.

Pre-Race:

WRFB and I arrived Friday late afternoon, picked up our numbers at a very modest Expo, and checked into the hotel.  We made turkey tetrazzini in our little kitchenette, unpacked and had an early night. The Beerlings arrived Saturday morning, and after a couple of feedings and naps (for the baby!) and a few break-your-heart baby-smiles, we set out for the Breakers to tour one of Newport’s most famous mansions. As expected, it was over-the-top amazing, and of no interest  to an 8 week-old infant.

Friday night, La Tortuga and her DH joined us for potluck spaghetti dinner at our place, and we tried to strategize clothing for the predicted Nor’easter.  The weather report was becoming more alarming by the minute, but we all downplayed the significance of the storm.  What possible good would it do to panic??

Race-Day:

Sunday morning, dawned cold, rainy, and very windy.  We wore throw-away clothing, disposable ponchos, garbage bags and grocery bags on our shoes.  At the start, we ducked into a very civilized Marriott for a bathroom visit and shelter from the weather, then ventured back outside.  The masses were huddled under any bit of awning they could find, and the race director was pleading for people to come out and line up.  Finally, we were coaxed out into street, and everyone began shedding extra clothes, garbage bags, umbrellas etc.  The race director said something incomprehensible on the PA system, repeated by the women behind us.  Something about only expecting to lose 6 or 7 marathoners washed away by rogue waves along the more exposed portions of the course.  Yikes!

The gun went off and we all began splashing forward, futilely trying to dodge the deepest puddles, as if it could possibly matter.  After watching WRFB disappear in front of us,  LaT and I picked our way along the first mile of the crowded course. It didn’t seem too cold at first.  The first few miles were somewhat inland and sheltered.  Somewhere around 4 miles, we broke out onto the coast and the full impact of the wind took my breath away.  LaT is a much stronger hill runner than I am, and I told her to go ahead when we started hitting the first small hills.  After losing her briefly, there was a nice downhill, and I caught up with her at the 5 mile waterstop, staffed by a bunch of very good-natured volunteers dressed as Woodstock attendees blasting great music.   I ran up beside LaT and started singing along to Suite Judy Blue Eyes in her ear.  We laughed and sang together until the music faded behind us.  She powered up the next hill, and that is the last I saw of her for awhile. 

Up until that point, we had been averaging 9:35/mi, but I soon became painfully aware that this pace wasn’t going to work for me.  I started having pain in both knees and my left hip, and just didn’t feel very strong.  And I was starting to get really really cold.  The wind felt like it was blowing right through my shirt, and my soaking wet $1 gloves had turned into little cold sponges.   I made up my mind that I’d pop some more Ibuprofen at 10 miles to take the edge off the knee pain (I know, I know, don’t judge me). 

Next I set my sights on the halfway point where we would drop the half-marathoners and go right past our hotel.  As we turned onto the isthmus between the Atlantic Ocean and Easton Pond, the wind was unbelievable.  With nothing to break the wind between these two large bodies of water, the force of the wind and rain was truly brutal.  They routed the marathoners parallel to the half-marathon finish chute, which I thought was rather sadistic.  So of course, all kinds of negative thoughts are attacking my brain at this point.  Maybe I should drop out, maybe this is nuts, I’m probably hypothermic, maybe the race directors would even decide to shut down the course.  I mean people could die out here.  The thought of WRFB getting the ugly yellow MM shirt without me spurred me on, and I splashed through some really deep puddles of icy water on my way out of the park and onto the second half of the course.

Miles 13-15 were just a stiff-legged plod. Head down against the pelting rain, in and out of more exposed sections of coastline, I pulled my sleeves down over my gloves and stopped looking at my Garmin. At 15 miles I looked up from under the brim of my dripping hat, and saw an angel.  There was LaT!!  She had ducked off the course to perform a wardrobe adjustment, and was apparently keeping an eye out for me.   We exchanged our impressions of the course, the weather, and our own faltering muscles and joints. And then we dug in and decided to get this thing done. The miles started ticking down, and amazingly, I actually felt stronger.  I felt like I was running upright, with decent form, and steadily chugged up some pretty good hills. We passed a lot of very miserable looking racers, many reduced to a shivering shuffle-walk

OK – here is a sidebar for the volunteers and spectators at this event.  If we were cold, these people must have been absolutely chilled through.  And yet, the folks at the water stops just kept working, encouraging us as we passed through, and helping out however they could.  (I had to ask someone to open a Gu – my hands just wouldn’t work).  I am deeply appreciative of all the non-runners out there who supported the race in these conditions.

So finally, finally, we approached the finish.  It was one of those deals where you pass the finish line and have to double back.  We linked arms, sped up some, splashed by some slower finishers, and burst across the mats. There was WRFB (already changed into dry clothes!), and my cousin Katie who had driven down from New Hampshire to see us.  (She also gets big kudos for showing up!).   Hugs all around, and then we quickly made our way across the street to the hotel.  No desire for finish-line bananas, or hanging around.  It was just as windy and miserable at this spot as it had been when we came through over two hours earlier.

Whew.  That was tough.  But within 30 minutes,  we emerged from our respective hot showers and raised a pint of a very nice English Pale Ale as we watched the trees blowing sideways (this time from the inside looking out).

Stats:

4:35:03 (PW)

8/19 AG

298/476 overall  [there were 623 finishers in 2008]

Newport weather for 10/18/09:

Mean Temp: 43, 

Precip: 1.55”, 

Avr Wind: 15.3 mph (record for this date),

Wind Gust: 40 mph

MM#1856  (Yay!)

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Way to go, PDR, especially in those conditions.  You sure earned that maniac status, in more ways than intended.  It's neat you got to see your grandson and kids and run with LaT.  Congratulations.

TomS

the race director was pleading for people to come out and line up.  

I think that's hysterical.

One of those signs that you just might  be in for a tough day.

Congrats on your new MM status.....you both certainly earned it.

Walt

Judge you for popping some ibuprofen during the race? NO Way! Judge you for being a lunatic, oops I mean a maniac, Maybe? Just kidding. I think the only judgement from me is that you are amazing and made the best out of a crazy day. Your determination, spirit of friendship and ability to keep your feet on the ground while a tornado like wind threatened to carry you into the ocean----amazing. You are what---100 lbs soaking wet? It must have been quite the battle at times.

You done good PDR. Fine job indeed!

Great Baby Nate photo too. 

I volunteered at the Boston marathon mile 12 water station during the Nor-easter race year. It wasn't as bad as what you experienced, but there were some hysterical moments when we were setting up and trying to hold down all the paper cups as the wind tore through us and the rain pelted. I had a blast though and we told jokes, some volunteers wore wild bathing caps and costumes under their official gear and while you are cold----most runners say thank you and give a cheer. It all works out!

Way to go PDR!

Under very rough conditions the thought of not getting that shirt pulled you through.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

"Oh the dreadful wind and the rain."

Nice going in tough conditions.  Congrats on MM!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Congratulations for earning your MM status the hard way!   You are tough!!!

I hear ya on the volunteers...I don't know that I'd do it on a good day, let alone a day like you had.  Truly takes a wonderful kind of person to be out there for the runners in that weather.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I can't even imagine!

You REALLY earned that Maniac status!

Congratulations!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

"We wore throw-away clothing, disposable ponchos, garbage bags and grocery bags on our shoes."

Ah, you fashionista!

I'm with Walt about the funny RD line.  Sure sign...

This was an amazing day and you needed that good attitude and solid fitness to get you through.  Very impressive effort that I'm sure you'll remember for a long time.

There are easier ways to get an ugly yellow shirt, but they don't come with a story like this.  Congratulations!

Be safe. Be kind.

nice job Harriet!!  it really was a crazy day ....... congrats on making to your MANIAC status!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats, MM 1856!   Do you think you might have bailed on this race if you weren't going for Maniac status, and just hung out with the baby all day instead?  

The course sounds  like it would be beautiful in good weather.  The volunteers are a special bunch for sure.   They do have the advantage that they can bundle up in warm clothes and rain suits, but I'm sure they still get chilled being out there all day.  Congrats on a tough race and thanks for the RR! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

This is definetly on for the books

What a way to become a Marathon Maniac......I'd say simply running this single marathon ought to qualify.

A great report, greatly enjoyed it.

Nice job, PDR!! Way to go, you marathon maniac.  I don't think I could have done this one.  Excellent race report - thanks for sharing.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

evanflein

Excellent race report from a miserable day... but one made better by sharing with friends! That's so cool that you and LaT ran together at the end, and crossed the line arm in arm. I dunno, I think you guys were all maniacs out there, but you've got the number to prove it! Congratulations!

(that is one very cute baby...)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

A stellar performance in a Nor'easter.  Wow - you're a maniac for sure.

Baby Nate is a real cutie.