Masters Running

starting SATURDAY (10/24) DAILY from Tokyo - having a good time for the last time (Read 371 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I had vowed that no one would come to Seattle to get last place in the RnR so, even when i couldn't be there in June, I ran a 6:38 in one of the weekly Imperial Palace Marathon to capture last place by almost an hour and 35 minutes on the same Saturday morning as in Seattle..

Now, when I missed my friend's 26.2 mile long moving 80th birthday party at the Portland Marathon earlier this month, he sent me the birthday t-shirt I'd've been wearing with him and said to do it in Japan for him during a trip this week.

Only problem, not sure my poor excuse for a knee and I would have been able to match Bob's 6hr/10min finish. 

However, I knew I was gunna have a good time with my friends frm the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club as well as time to make sure no one elses'  time in all this month's many marathons except mine would end up for as the last time for October either. .

Fortunately, this summer's sticking with 680 marathon Joyful Nakamura when he fizzled to a nearly two hour PW (me too but I just call it a reverse PR) up in the mountains around the base of Mt. Fuji at 90 degrees had him happy to return the favor to pace me, and he had us both finishing in 6:06:06!!!!!   

Maybe it's apparent in the photo below of Bob's birthday shirt but I'm just overjoyed now knowing for sure that I could have kept up to Bob too with six minutes to spare.. . to say nothing about figuring out how to post my first photo so everyone can see how beautiful the shirt is. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Hey, Tet! Happy Saturday to you... um, your picture post didn't work. Or at least, I couldn't see it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks erika, it's just a t-shirt so doesn't matter that much for now though

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

A cloudy and dark 6 miles in Dunkirk, NY this morning. Team is on the road this weekend playing in our conference tournament qualifier.

Early gym work out because I have to get to work today.

3 miles slow then chest back and shoulder workout mostly on the cable machine. I need to organize my weight workouts better next week. I am just winging it right now.

Cranium,

Good luck to your team this weekend.

Tet,

Always interesting. Confusing but interesting.

Have a great day and good luck to all the racers today and tomorrow

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Off to work finishline at a race (volunteering for my club)  Run on treadmill later so I can watch football.

Carolyn I want to make sure you see what I posted yesterday about your foot problem.

Tet your posts are indeed always interesting. 

Enjoy the day!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

3.5 easy miles this morning.  I may make 10 miles for the week if I'm lucky!  That must be some kind of reverse PR - to use Tet's term.  Legs are getting there.  The right hamstring is a little sore but it'll pass soon enough.

I'd love to comment on Tet's post but I can't understand it.  I'm happy for you anyway Tet! 

Well, you all talked me into it. It's all your fault. I registered for the 2010 Boston Marathon this morning! DW is trying to figure out our accomodations.

Now to contact Tinman and see what sort of Hill-torture he can dream up for me!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning everyone-----First, good luck to the one's racing this weekend.------Tet, you are a very funny and confusing guy, lol.-----Kinda a nasty cold rainy day here in Central Indiana. Getting ready to head out for a 20 miler pretty soon. I found out about a 5K race at Ball State University a few days ago that I am going to race also this morning.......been a while since I raced one of those buggers. My PR was 19:26 last Fall, and I hope I can run close to 20 minutes this morning. I will run easy the 4 miles to the race - then race - then finish up with enough miles to make 20 miles for the day. Then I plan on 10 miles tomorrow to make a 30 mile weekend.....I love those.-----Hope everyone has a Wonderful Day. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Tet, I'm glad you had a good time.            I did too.

:-)

morning everybody!   just have a moment or 2, & want to do 75 things here, probably won't get to them.     a nice day  so far, a trip to the Farmer's Market with the usual over-buying, stopped by to say good morning to DD, half hr. walk with Sadie in the rain, off to saturday a.m. physics in just bit.     cross training is 'scheduled' for today, somebody bug me later to make sure I did it. 

happy saturday!

Slo

G'Morning Tet.....thanks for the start !

G'Morning all

Another Sat, another work day.....but there is light at the end of the tunnel. We'll be putting this robot in production come Monday.

I'm looking forward to at least getting back to the pool next week ! The Doctor gave me a very grim picture of what could result if I don't behave myself.  In essence......surgery. I don't go back for 4 weeks which I'm supposed to look at as a "Vote of Confidence".

Happy miles everybody ! 

Good morning good people. Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. Tet - your posts are always thought-provoking. I have to go back and re-read them a few times - wish we could have seen the picture of the t-shirt.

Glad our marathoners are getting the kinks out of their legs. Sounds like Deb and Bill are slowly working their way back. Have fun at farmer's market Deb. Ours are done for the year. I'll miss my fresh brussel sprouts.

Cranium - good luck to your team today. Our volleyball team (the high school where I work) won last night and will be heading to the sectionals. I hope you play well.

Nice of you to volunteer today, Sarge. Larry - nice early workout for you this morning.

Slo - you listen to that doctor! Four weeks is long enough, you don't want to make it worse. Are you still wearing the boot every day? Hope this is your last weekend working on robots!

And then there's Tim..... cranking out 30 mile weekends like they're no big deal. Nice to see you posting again, Tim.

7.5 miles of blissful stress relief this morning, 9:31 pace. A nasty wind and temps around 34° made my old legs keep going today. Running through all of the wet leaves on the street reminded me that in another month or so, those leaf piles could very well be snow piles.

A quick update on my little buddy Will. Went down to Milwaukee yesterday and got to hold him for awhile.  The doctor has moved his surgery up to Monday. Will's oxygen levels have gone down a little and the surgeon had an opening in his schedule so they're doing the open heart surgery Monday morning at 8:00 AM. The procedure will take 6 to 8 hours. The parents are hanging in there, now grandma needs to do the same....

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good luck Peter!  He should be getting close by now!

Muggy 70's at this end of NC. Should be cooler where R2B is run. I read it's a new course this year which eliminates "the 300 ft, 1 mile climb at mile 17". He should like that!

2 miles with Tory and Sadie.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning all.

Out for 5 rainy miles this morning around 8:30 - nothing special except it was a pretty run with the leaves all wet and pretty shades of orange, yellow and red.    Then I took the family out for breakfast. 

Wish we could see Tet's picture.  Sad    Sounds like a good marathon finish for you!

{{{{JLynne & Will}}}   Will you be there on Monday too? 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning folks..........I said i wasnt going  to run in the rain today after last week's weather fluke but ..........I did..........youngest son's cross-country team with the school's alumni were hosting a homecoming 5k so off we went

3.5 miles on my own first - 9:27, 9:16, 9:17 9:05 avg pace

3.01 5k race - coach said it was marked as 3.08 but i think this is the 2nd year in a row my garmin had it less -- anyway -- did that in 29:05 - double loop course with 2 small hills and 1 steep hill - actually walked up the steep hill on the 2nd loop - just hate hills and really didn't want to get hurt on a trail run with the rain and mud - mostly was just sprinkling except for about a 5 minute downpour

1.0 cooldown with my son at an easy 10 minute pace

gave me a nice 7.5 miles for today .... now need to get some hill work back into my running - heard the Maine Coast 1/2 marathon is a little hillier than advertised.

have a great weekend friends!!  keeping baby Will and family in my thoughts and prayers!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, when I read the title of today's thread I thought it was your last time to visit Japan or something.   After puzzling through your post a couple of times I figured out you mean slowest time.  I like your 6:06:06 - hope that doesn't have the same meaning as 666!

Sarge, thanks for the info about tarsal tunnel syndrome. I did some reading, and that could be what I have, although I have no tingling or numbness, just random pain. It's either on the inside of my ankle just below the ankle bone, or in the middle of my foot, which look like the exact locations affected by a pinched posterial tibial nerve.  My foot feels better today, although I haven't run yet. I think my foot hurt yesterday because I ran on concrete in high-mileage shoes (>400 miles) on Wednesday, although maybe that's not the whole story, because my left foot feels fine.

The wind is howling outside today, and its 35°. Sounds like Jlynne's weather, but I haven't been out to run yet.  The wind is predicted to die down this afternoon so I'll head out later. Forecast: "Northwest winds will continue at 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph over the Continental Divide and higher east slopes."  Or I could follow Jeanne's example and  "channel my inner Beers,"  but gee, it's not raining....

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.